New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: MitD X: If I told you, you wouldn't believe me

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    I thought it was Egyptian, but apparently it isn't that clear.
    I've always assumed China, but I guess the Phoenix from the Dragon and the Phoenix fable is just a simplified translation.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

They're like vampires - lots of cultures have a monster that can clearly be translated into one.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but it's only briefly mentioned in the OP, so I want to condense my thoughts on Oona's conversation with MitD for others to see.

The two statements that stand out to me are:

MitD: "Xykon's not my master. He's just, like, a guy I hang around with. For some reason."
    - Probably not actually important, but noticable.
    - Could be an indicator of long-term mind control of some sort, though we already know MitD was mind-whammied by Xykon in SoD. More interesting for character reasons than actually solving the puzzle.

Oona: "You are a magnificent monster, fit for a beastmistress like me."
    - Oona has two beast pets: a yrthak and a worg. These are options for a Beast Heart Adept's Monstrous Companion class feature, and I take Oona's dialog and their presence to indicate that she is one. Furthermore, to have a yrthak at all, Oona would need to be at least 9th level, and could have a total of three companions. This would mean that she might be able to take MitD (or something like him) as a companion, but chooses not to because she assumes he is bonded to Xykon.
    - If Oona is a Beast Heart Adept, she could take any of the following as (third) companions, accommodating her level restrictions: ankheg, blink dog, giant eagle, giant owl, hippogriff, krenshar, otyugh, owlbear, pegasus, digester, girallon, manticore, winter wolf, chimera, or wyvern.
    - Most of these don't make sense as options, but the otyugh is notable for speaking Common (while not really looking like something that can talk), being non-native to the jungle and rare in civilized lands, but plausibly recognizable to hunters, and being quite repulsive, but also potentially interesting to look at (as it is an aberration). It has major problems with the tower scene, earthquake, and escape scene, though. The girallon is somewhat notable for being fairly strong, but doesn't manage to hit Str 30 and fails all the other big scenes. The rest I dismiss for not really having a way to manipulate objects (and in some cases not being able to talk).
    - If we ignore the level requirements, the Monstrous Companion list also includes the Chuul, Destrachan, Dragonne, Behir, and Grey Render. Of these, the Grey Render is notable in that it is "never found in groups" and reproduces singly, carrying its offspring for a time, and eventually abandons its young, which fits well with MitD's memories of his "father". They also have a tendency to bond with, protect, and otherwise "adopt" other creatures occasionally, matching MitD's behavior around both Right-Eye's family and later Xykon. They're strong, but don't otherwise meet FBS criteria. The SRD has no opinion on whether they can speak. The rest are pretty strong, and some can speak, but they aren't otherwise interesting.

The Grey Render's already been proposed, and I had thought the otyugh had also been discussed before, but I didn't see it in the first post. I remember something about otyhugs smelling bad, but didn't see it in the SRD description, and they don't have any Stench ability. Consider it proposed for section 3e; it's intriguing but needs a template stack to make FBS status.

edit: One other interesting note about the otyugh: it's got tentacles, so it can grip things, but could plausibly have trouble manipulating them, hence "pulling is harder than pushing".

Oona's comment on his size has already been noted; I think it should be taken to mean that, whatever kind of monster he is, that kind of monster is normally larger. That is, MitD is very likely to be a Large or larger creature by statblock, but is not actually Large due to age or some nonobvious template like Dungeonloaf. Please excuse the pun.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2017-08-27 at 12:16 AM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    The rest I dismiss for not really having a way to manipulate objects
    How does that actually work in D&D 3.5? I assume most of these are magical beasts that are small or larger sized, and that they can carry and manipulate one object at a time with their mouth, but usually can't carry extra items. That's not enough for #1041 where he holds a bucket and a brush at the same time, so we'll need a monster that can hold at least two items.

5. - Top - End - #845

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    How does that actually work in D&D 3.5? I assume most of these are magical beasts that are small or larger sized, and that they can carry and manipulate one object at a time with their mouth, but usually can't carry extra items. That's not enough for #1041 where he holds a bucket and a brush at the same time, so we'll need a monster that can hold at least two items.
    Yeah, most are quadrupeds; a few are bipeds that don't have arms. I suppose the owlbear could hold things about as well as a regular bear, but an owlbear wouldn't exactly be an impressive reveal. And I'm not sure the digester even has a mouth capable of gripping things.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

6. - Top - End - #846

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Speaking of which, are we allowed to change our predictions? If so, I want to change mine from "Protean" to "Slaad>Protean"
    Absolutely. I'm changing it now. For reference, I keep everyone's original predict and also note the dates of any chances, or at least I intend to until I start running out of room (presumably not soon, but I'm noting it for the record). Since I'm the only person to chance their predict more than once, I like to think I'm leading by example.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

7. - Top - End - #847
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Someone's probably already said these, but I have points against some of the proposals that don't seem to be in the third post.

Uvuudaum: It has the "evil" subtype, which generally means that it is an embodiment of an evil plane.

Carbosilicate Amorph: I haven't actually read Schlock Mercenary, but I did some research. The third post states that it "can interface with a teraport to teleport". Therefore, if Rich were to actually have brought Carbosilicate Amorphs into the comic, he would have had to have brought teraports with them in order to explain the escape. Teraports are extremely high-tech for this comic, and even putting that aside, where would MitD have gotten one? He (presumably) hasn't ever been on his own since he was in the rainforest.

I'm going to guess Slaad/Athasian Nightmare Beast (equal chance)
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2017-10-15 at 07:15 AM.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    Uvuudaum: It has the "evil" subtype, which generally means that it is an embodiment of an evil plane.
    So?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    Carbosilicate Amorph: I haven't actually read Schlock Mercenary, but I did some research. The third post states that it "can interface with a teraport to teleport". Therefore, if Rich were to actually have brought Carbosilicate Amorphs into the comic, he would have had to have brought teraports with them in order to explain the escape. Teraports are extremely high-tech for this comic, and even putting that aside, where would MitD have gotten one? He (presumably) hasn't ever been on his own since he was in the rainforest.
    A Teraport would be what brought him to this planet.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Honestly, while my primary objection to the Carbosilicate Amorph is the meta one of it not being plausible for Rich's writing (which is no good for this thread), I've never really been sold on the teraport explanation qualifying it for the FBS category. The DStP commentary on the scene, paraphrased, is something like "The monster reaches deep into himself to discover powers he didn't know he had", which IMO just does not really match with "he used the FTL drive that happened to be connected to him."

(I'm also not really sold on it matching the circus, but I think that's come up before).
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, use of a teraport is like how anything else would be able to use a magic item that casts Teleport.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #851

PaladinGuy

There was an earlier discussion of the Phrenic (?) template, which would help many of the aforementioned FBS.

A phrenic Uvuudaum is still my high-powered choice, but a phrenic Athasian Nightmare Beast is, for me, a better one.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Honestly, while my primary objection to the Carbosilicate Amorph is the meta one of it not being plausible for Rich's writing (which is no good for this thread), I've never really been sold on the teraport explanation qualifying it for the FBS category. The DStP commentary on the scene, paraphrased, is something like "The monster reaches deep into himself to discover powers he didn't know he had", which IMO just does not really match with "he used the FTL drive that happened to be connected to him."

(I'm also not really sold on it matching the circus, but I think that's come up before).
    A teraport cannot be used by a human, or any other sophont, without computer assistance. A carbosilicate amorph is an exception to this in that having evolved from databases they can in fact interface directly with computer ports. But this ability is not automatic or even easy. So no, it is not like using a wand. And what the hypothetical amorph would have had to do is dig deep into the most distant and ancient part of his being to be able to use the teraport, which I think fits the description.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Personally, I find the idea of a creature using something that doesn't exist in this realty to be a rather poor explanation. Its one of those things where it may not technically be disallowed by the rules of the stickverse, but would feel immensely unsatisfying once its explained no matter what.

Kind of like if Rich had commissioned a friend to make up a monster to use as the MITD. Technically it would fulfil all the criteria, but its against the spirit of it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #854

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    A teraport cannot be used by a human, or any other sophont, without computer assistance. A carbosilicate amorph is an exception to this in that having evolved from databases they can in fact interface directly with computer ports. But this ability is not automatic or even easy. So no, it is not like using a wand. And what the hypothetical amorph would have had to do is dig deep into the most distant and ancient part of his being to be able to use the teraport, which I think fits the description.

GW
    A teraport needs coordinates. It isn't likely by itself to find a group of humans that O'Chul knows. Even he doesn't know where they are. MITD doesn't know where to send him, and to me that's been a problem with anything other than a wish-type ability.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    Yeah, most are quadrupeds; a few are bipeds that don't have arms. I suppose the owlbear could hold things about as well as a regular bear, but an owlbear wouldn't exactly be an impressive reveal. And I'm not sure the digester even has a mouth capable of gripping things.
    Peagasi could lift things with their wings. :p
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

You know how the Giant is selling these printable sheets of monster drawings, right? There's three of them so far. Do you think any of the monsters in them could turn out to be the same kind of monster as the MitD? It's not very likely, but might be worth to read just in case he did hide the MitD in there somewhere.

So first, here's the full list copied from the product description (there could be a few errors in the copy-paste).
    Spoiler: List of monsters
    Show
    Autumn
    • Bugs (Page 6) / Ankheg / Aranea (Hybrid Form) / Aranea (Spider Form) / Blade Spider / Cave Fisher / Deathjump Spider / Demonweb Spider / Dire Maggot / Drider (Female) / Drider (Male) / Ettercap x2 / Fire Beetle / Giant Ant, Queen / Giant Ant, Soldier / Giant Ant, Winged / Giant Ant, Worker / Giant Bee / Giant Bee, Queen / Giant Bombadier Beetle / Giant Centipede (Colossal) / Giant Centipede (Gargantuan) / Giant Centipede (Huge) / Giant Centipede (Large) / Giant Centipede (Medium) / Giant Centipede (Small) / Giant Centipede (Tiny) / Giant Firefly / Giant Ladybug / Giant Praying Mantis / Giant Roly Poly / Giant Scorpion (Colossal) / Giant Scorpion (Gargantuan) / Giant Scorpion (Huge) / Giant Scorpion (Large) / Giant Scorpion (Medium) / Giant Scorpion (Small) / Giant Scorpion (Tiny) / Giant Slug / Giant Spider (Colossal) / Giant Spider (Gargantuan) / Giant Spider (Huge) / Giant Spider (Large) / Giant Spider (Medium) / Giant Spider (Small) / Giant Spider (Tiny) / Giant Stag Beetle / Giant Wasp (Large) / Giant Wasp (Medium) / Gloomwing / Hellfire Scorpion / Mantisfolk / Mantisfolk Hunter / Mantisfolk Psion / Phase Spider / Purple Worm (Gargantuan) / Purple Worm (Huge) / Purple Wormling / Rot Grub / Scorpionfolk (Female) / Scorpionfolk (Male) / Spider-Eater / Stormclaw Scorpion / Tenebrous Worm
    • Clerics (Page 19) / Aasimar Cleric (Female) / Aasimar Cleric (Male) / Dragonborn Cleric / Drow Cleric / Dwarf Cleric (Female) x3 / Dwarf Cleric (Male) x3 / Dwarf Priest / Elf Cleric x4 / Gnome Cleric (Female) / Gnome Cleric (Male) / Gnome Healer / Halfling Cleric (Female) x2 / Halfling Cleric (Male) x2 / Half-Orc Cleric (Female) / Half-Orc Cleric (Male) / High Elf Cleric x2 / Human Cleric (Female) x5 / Human Cleric (Male) x5 / Human Healer (Female) / Human Healer (Male) / Human Priest (Female) / Human Priest (Male) / Tiefling Cleric (Female) / Tiefling Cleric (Male) / Warforged Cleric
    • Constructs (Page 22) / Caryatid Column / Clay Golem / Eidolon / Flesh Golem (Large) / Flesh Golem (Medium, Female) / Flesh Golem (Medium, Male) / Helmed Horror / Iron Golem (Large) / Iron Golem (Huge) / Kolyarut / Marut / Maug / Nimblewright / Shadesteel Golem / Shield Guardian / Stone Golem (Large) / Stone Golem (Huge) / Tin Golem / Zelekhut
    • Demons (Page 25) / Abyssal Maw / Babau / Balor (Type VI Demon, Huge) / Balor (Type VI Demon, Large) / Bar-Igura (Medium) / Bar-Iguea (Large) / Bebilith / Cambion (Female) / Cambion (Male) / Carnage Demon / Chasme / Dretch / Glabrezu (Type III Demon) / Goristo / Hezrou (Type II Demon) / Incubus x2 / Manes / Marilith (Type V Demon) / Molydeus / Nabassu / Nalfeshnee (Type IV Demon) / Rutterkin / Quasit / Shadow Demon / Succubus x3 / Yochol / Vrock (Type I Demon)
    • Devils (Page 29) / Abishai (Black) / Abishai (Blue) / Abishai (Green) / Abishai (Red) / Abishai (White) / Archdevil / Assassin Devil / Barbed Devil / Bearded Devil / Bone Devil / Chain Devil / Erinyes / Erinyes (with Rope) / Fallen Angel / Harvester Devil / Hellcat / Hell Hound / Horned Devil / Ice Devil / Imp / Legion Devil / Lemure / Misfortune Devil / Nessian Warhound / Nupperibo / Pit Fiend (Large) / Pit Fiend (Huge) / Shocktroop Devil / Spined Devil (Medium) / Spined Devil (Small) / Styx Devil / War Devil / Withering Devil
    • Dragons (Page 33) / Black Dragon (Gargantuan) / Black Dragon (Huge) / Black Dragon (Large) / Black Dragon (Medium) / Black Dragon (Small) / Black Dragon (Tiny) / Dracolich (Gargantuan) / Dracolich (Huge) / Half-Dragon Sorcerer / Red Shadow Dragon (Large)
    • Hobgoblins (Page 36) / Hobgoblin (Female) / Hobgoblin (Male) / Hobgoblin Assassin / Hobgoblin Archer (Female) / Hobgoblin Archer (Male) / Hobgoblin Barbarian / Hobgoblin Blackguard / Hobgoblin Captain / Hobgoblin Cleric (Female) / Hobgoblin Cleric (Male) / Hobgoblin Duskblade / Hobgoblin High Cleric / Hobgoblin Leader / Hobgoblin Lieutenant / Hobgoblin Noncombatant (Female) / Hobgoblin Noncombatant (Male) / Hobgoblin Prisoner / Hobgoblin Ranger / Hobgoblin Samurai / Hobgoblin Sergeant / Hobgoblin Soldier (Female) / Hobgoblin Soldier (Male) / Hobgoblin Thug / Hobgoblin Warcaster / Hobgoblin Warlord / Hobgoblin Warrior (Female) / Hobgoblin Warrior (Male) / Norker
    • Necromancers (Page 38) / Elf Necromancer x2 / Gnome Necromancer / Halfling Necromancer / Human Necromancer (Female) x5 / Human Necromancer (Male) x5
    • Paladins (Page 39) / Aasimar Paladin (Female) / Aasimar Paladin (Male) / Celestial Steed / Dwarf Paladin (Female) x2 / Dwarf Paladin (Male) x2 / Elf Paladin x3 / Gnome Paladin (Female) / Gnome Paladin (Male) / Half-Celestial Paladin (Female) / Half-Celestial Paladin (Male) / Halfling Paladin (Female) x2 / Halfling Paladin (Male) x2 / Half-Dragon Paladin / Half-Ogre Paladin / Half-Orc Paladin (Female) / Half-Orc Paladin (Male) / Human Paladin (Female) x6 / Human Paladin (Male) x6 / Tiefling Paladin (Female) / Tiefling Paladin (Male) / Warforged Paladin
    • Skeletons (Page 42) / Armored Skeleton / Blazing Skeleton / Boneshard Skeleton / Chimera Skeleton / Decrepit Skeleton / Dragon Skeleton / Ettin Skeleton / Giant Skeleton / Horse Skeleton / Kobold Skeleton / Megaraptor Skeleton / Minotaur Skeleton / Owlbear Skeleton / Skeletal Tomb Guardian / Skeleton x2 / Skeleton Archer / Troll Skeleton / Wolf Skeleton
    • Spooooooky! (Page 45) / Annis Hag / Berbalang / Bog Hag / Cauchemar / Death Hag / Green Hag / Flying Monkey / Headless Horseman / Howling Hag / Lagoon Creature / Night Hag / Nightmare / Nothic / Patchwork Doll / Pumpkinhead / Vargouille / War Nightmare / Western Hag / Yeth Hound
    • Undead (Page 47) / Abyssal Ghoul / Allip / Armored Ghoul / Banshee / Barrow Wight / Battle Wight / Bodak / Boneclaw / Crypt Thing / Deathbringer / Death Knight x2 / Deathlock Wight / Demilich / Dread Wraith / Elf Lich / Eye of Fear and Flame / Famine Spirit / Flameskull / Flameskull, Great / Ghast / Ghost (Female) / Ghost (Male) / Ghost Legionnaire / Ghoul x2 / Grim Reaper / Hound of Ill Omen / Huecuva / Lich x3 / Mohrg / Nightcrawler / Nightwalker / Nightwing / Pennaggolan / Revenant (Female) / Revenant (Male) / Shadow / Shadow, Greater / Sheet Phantom / Slaughter Wight / Spectre / Spellstitched Ghoul / Spirit Devourer / Skull Lord / Sword Wraith / Vampire (Female) x5 / Vampire (Male) x5 / Vampire (Gaseous Form) / Vampire Spawn (Female) / Vampire Spawn (Male) / Viscera Devourer / Wight / Wraith
    • Zombies (Page 53) / Bugbear Zombie / Chillborn Zombie / Crawling Claw / Dire Rat Zombie / Dragon Zombie Giant Zombie / Gravehound (Wolf Zombie) / Grey Render Zombie / Griffon Zombie / Horse Zombie / Hungry Zombie / Juju Zombie / Kobold Zombie / Minotaur Zombie / Owlbear Zombie / Rotwing Zombie / Wyvern Zombie / Zombie x2 / Zombie Guard / Zombie Hulk / Zombie Rotter

Spring
    • Animals (Page 6) / Ape / Armadillo / Baboon / Badger / Bat / Billy Goat Gruff / Bison / Black Bear / Blood Hawk / Boar / Brown Bear / Cat / Cheetah / Crocodile / Deer / Dire Ape / Dire Badger / Dire Bat / Dire Bear / Dire Boar / Dire Hyena / Dire Lion / Dire Rat / Dire Sloth / Dire Tiger / Dire Toad / Dire Weasel / Dire Wolf / Dire Wolverine / Dog / Eagle / Elephant / Elk / Fox / Giant Ape / Giant Chameleon / Giant Crocodile / Giant Elk / Giant Frog / Giant Goat / Giant Lizard / Giant Tortoise / Gibbon / Hawk / Hedgehog / Hippopotamus / Hyena / Jackal / Kangaroo / Lemur / Lion / Lizard / Lynx / Monitor Lizard / Monkey / Moose / Okapi / Ostrich / Otter / Owl / Panther / Penguin / Polar Bear / Raccoon / Rat / Raven / Rhinoceros / Snake (Huge) / Snake (Large) / Snake (Medium) / Snake (Small) / Snake (Tiny) / Tiger / Toad / Turtle / Vulture / War Elephant / Weasel / Wildebeest / Wolf / Wolverine
    • Centaurs & Harpies (Page 16) / Centaur (Female) / Centaur (Male) / Centaur Beserker / Centaur Hunter / Centaur Mystic / Harpy / Harpy Archer
    • Dragons (Page 17) / Green Dragon (Gargantuan) / Green Dragon (Huge) / Green Dragon (Large) / Green Dragon (Medium) / Green Dragon (Small) / Green Dragon (Tiny) / Guard Drake / Pseudodragon / Rage Drake / Spiretop Drake / Spitting Drake / Wyvern
    • Druids (Page 19) / Archdruid (Female) / Archdruid (Male) / Catfolk Druid / Dwarf Druid (Female) / Dwarf Druid (Male) / Elf Druid x7 / Gnome Druid (Female) / Gnome Druid (Male) / Halfling Druid (Female) / Halfling Druid (Male) / Human Druid (Female) x5 / Human Druid (Male) x5 / Shifter Druid / Warforged Druid
    • The Fey (Page 21) / Banshrae / Briar Witch Dryad / Brownie (Female) / Brownie (Male) / Dryad / Faerie Dragon / Gremlin / Grig / Grig Fiddler / Jermlaine / Killmoulis / Kitsune / Lamia Swarm / Leprechaun (Female) / Leprechaun (Male) / Meenlock / Nymph / Pixie (Female) / Pixie (Male) / Pixie Bard / Pixie Druid / Pixie Sorceress / Pooka / Quickling / Satyr / Satyr Piper / Spriggan (Female) / Spriggan (Male) / Sprite (Female) / Sprite (Male) / Will O’Wisp
    • Gnolls (Page 23) / Cacklefiend Hyena / Flind / Gnoll (Female) / Gnoll (Male) / Gnoll Claw Fighter / Gnoll Demonic Scourge / Gnoll Fang of Yoonowho / Gnoll Huntmaster / Gnoll Marauder / Gnoll Pack Lord / Gnoll Ranger / Gnoll Shaman / Half-Fiend Gnoll
    • Goblins (Page 24) / Goblin (Female) / Goblin (Male) / Goblin Alchemist / Goblin Archer / Goblin Bat-Bomber / Goblin Blackblade / Goblin Boss / Goblin Civilian / Goblin Cleric / Goblin Cutter / Goblin Dark Knight / Goblin Druid / Goblin Hexer / Goblin Javeliner (Female) / Goblin Javeliner (Male) / Goblin Jester / Goblin King / Goblin Lieutenant / Goblin Ranger / Goblin Rogue (Female) / Goblin Rogue (Male) / Goblin Sentry / Goblin Sergeant / Goblin Sharpshooter / Goblin Skullcleaver / Goblin Slave / Goblin Worgrider / Half-Fiend Goblin / Worg (Medium) / Worg (Large)
    • Monsters (Page 26) / Basilisk / Chimera / Griffon / Lamia / Manticore / Owlbear / Oxidation Critter
    • Mounts (Page 27) / Camel / Donkey / Llama / Pack Mule / Pack Yak / Pegaus / Hippogriff / Racing Bird / Racing Snail / Riding Boar / Riding Dog / Riding Horse x2 / Riding Pony / Riding Lizard / Riding Zebra / Unicorn / Warhorse x2 / Warpony / War Rhino
    • Orcs (Page 30) / Orc (Female) / Orc (Male) / Orc Archer (Female) / Orc Archer (Male) / Orc Assassin / Orc Beserker / Orc Bloodrager / Orc Boar Knight / Orc Chieftain / Orc Civilian (Female) / Orc Civilian (Male) / Orc Cleric (Female) / Orc Cleric (Male) / Orc Drudge / Orc Fighter / Orc Gatekeeper / Orc Raider / Orc Ranger / Orc Shaman / Orc Slave / Orc Tribesman / Orc Tribeswoman / Orc Warchief / Orc Warrior (Female) / Orc Warrior (Male) / Orc Witch / Orog (Female) / Orog (Male)
    • Plants (Page 32) / Assassin Vine / Awakened Shrub / Battlebriar (Huge) / Battlebriar (Large) / Cactusfolk / Fungusfolk Adult / Fungusfolk Sovereign / Fungusfolk Sprout / Needle Blight / Phantom Fungus / Plumbing Pipe Plant / Shambling Mound / Shrieker / Topiary Guardian / Treant / Tri-Flower Frond / Twig Blight / Vine Blight / Violet Fungus / Yellow Musk Creeper / Yellow Musk Zombie (Female) / Yellow Musk Zombie (Male)
    • Rangers (Page 35) / Catfolk Ranger (Female) / Catfolk Ranger (Male) / Dragonborn Ranger / Drow Ranger (Female) / Drow Ranger (Male) / Dwarf Ranger (Female) / Dwarf Ranger (Male) / Elf Ranger x5 / Gnome Ranger (Female) / Gnome Ranger (Male) x2 / Halfling Ranger (Female) x2 / Halfling Ranger (Male) x2 / Half-Ogre Ranger (Female) / Half-Ogre Ranger (Male) / High Elf Ranger x2 / Human Ranger (Female) x6 / Human Ranger (Male) x6 / Kobold Ranger / Shifter Ranger (Female) / Shifter Ranger (Male) / Warforged Ranger
    • Trolls (Page 38) / Bridge Troll / Cave Troll / Forest Troll (Female) / Forest Troll (Male) / Forest Troll Chieftain / Forest Troll Witch Doctor / Mountain Troll / Troll (Female) / Troll (Male) / Troll Hunter / Troll Spellcaster / Two-Headed Troll / War Troll

Summer
    • Dragons (Page 6) / Bloodseeker Drake / Brass Dragon (Gargantuan) / Brass Dragon (Huge) / Brass Dragon (Large) / Brass Dragon (Medium) / Brass Dragon (Small) / Brass Dragon (Tiny) / Crystal Drake / Dracotaur / Dracotaur Rager / Dragonne / Half-Dragon Horse / Half-Dragon Wolf / Horned Drake / Red Dragon (Colossal) / Red Dragon (Gargantuan) / Red Dragon (Huge) / Red Dragon (Large) / Red Dragon (Medium) / Red Dragon (Small)
    • Fighters (Page 11) / Dragonborn Fighter / Drow Fighter (Female) / Drow Fighter (Male) / Dwarf Fighter (Female) x3 / Dwarf Fighter (Male) x3 / Elf Fighter x3 / Gnome Fighter (Female) / Gnome Fighter (Male) / Halfling Fighter (Female) / Halfling fighter (Male) / Half-Dragon Fighter / Half-Ogre Fighter (Female) / Half-Ogre Fighter (Male) / High Elf Fighter x2 / Human Fighter (Female) x5 / Human Fighter (Male) x5 / Human Gladiator (Female) / Human Gladiator (Male) / Human Guard (Female) / Human Guard (Male) / Warforged Fighter x3
    • Fire (Page 14) / Ash Rat / Azer Beastlady / Azer Foot Soldier / Azer Rager / Azer Taskmaster / Azer Warrior / Fire Archon Blazesteel / Fire Archon Ash Disciple / Fire Archon Emberguard / Fire Bat / Fire Elemental (Small) / Fire Elemental (Medium) / Fire Elemental (Large) / Fire Elemental (Huge) / Firelasher / Fire Oracle / Flame Snake / Magma Claw / Magma Para-Elemental (Large) / Magma Para-Elemental (Medium) / Magma Strider / Magmin / Phoelarch Mage / Phoelarch Warrior / Phoera / Rast / Rockfire Dreadnought / Salamander / Salamander Archer / Salamander Firetail / Salamander Flamebrother / Salamander Lancer / Salamander Noble / Thoqquaa
    • Genies (Page 18) / Efreet (Female) / Efreet (Male) / Efreet Cinderlord / Efreet Noble / Marid (Female) / Marid (Male)
    • Giants (Page 19) / Fire Giant (Female) / Fire Giant (Male) / Fire Giant Cleric / Fire Giant Forgecaller / Fire Titan / Sea Giant (Female) / Sea Giant (Male) / Storm Giant (Female) / Storm Giant (Male)
    • Kobolds (Page 21) / Black Dragonwrought Kobold / Blue Dragonwrought Kobold / Green Dragonwrought Kobold / Kobold / Kobold Barbarian / Kobold Bard / Kobold Civilian / Kobold Dragonshield / Kobold Gnomeslayer / Kobold Leader / Kobold Liutenant / Kobold Miner / Kobold Minion / Kobold Rat Master / Kobold Sergeant / Kobold Sentry / Kobold Shaman / Kobold Skirmisher / Kobold Skyblade / Kobold Slave / Kobold Slinger / Kobold Sorcerer / Kobold Thief / Kobold Trapsmith / Kobold Weasel-Rider / Kobold Wyrmpriest / Red Dragonwrought Kobold / Urd / Urd Rock-Dropper / War Weasel / White Dragonwrought Kobold
    • Lizardfolk (Page 23) / Blackscale Lizardfolk / Blackscale Ranger / Chameleonfolk / Dark Talon Lizardfolk / Dark Talon Lizardfolk Champion / Dark Talon Lizardfolk Shaman / Dark Talon Lizardfolk King / Dark Talon Lizardfolk Wasp-Rider / Firenewt / Firenewt Strider-Rider / Firenewt Warlock / Firenewt Leader / Giant Strider / Greenscale Darter / Greenscale Hunter / Greenscale Mystic / Lizardfolk (with club) / Lizardfolk (with spear) / Lizardfolk Archer / Lizardfolk Barbarian / Lizardfolk Civilian / Lizardfolk Fighter / Lizardfolk Human-Wrestler / Lizardfolk Lieutenant / Lizardfolk Leader / Lizardfolk Psion / Lizardfolk Ranger / Lizardfolk Rogue / Lizardfolk Shaman / Lizardfolk Sorcerer / Lizard King / Poison Dusk Lizardfolk / Poison Dusk Lizardfolk Assassin / Poison Dusk Lizardfolk Leader / Poison Dusk Lizardfolk Lieutenant / Poison Dusk Lizardfolk Shaman / Poison Dusk Lizardfolk Wizard / Venomtongue / Venomtongue Warlock
    • Marine Animals (Page 26) / Baleen Whale (Humpback) / Barracuda / Big Fish / Bigger Fish / Cachalot Whale (Sperm) / Dire Barracuda / Dire Eel / Dire Shark / Dolphin / Dolphin, Psionic / Eel / Electric Eel / Giant Clam / Giant Leech / Giant Octopus / Giant Sea Anemone / Giant Seahorse / Giant Squid / Jellyfish / Leopard Seal / Little Fish / Manta Ray / Octopus / Orca (Killer Whale) / Otter / Porpoise / Sea Lion / Shark (Huge) / Shark (Large) / Shark (Medium) / Snapping Turtle / Squid / Stingray / Swordfish / Walrus
    • Oceanfolk (Page 32) / Aquatic Elf (Female) / Aquatic Elf (Male) / Aquatic Elf Gish / Aquatic Elf Ranger / Aquatic Elf Rogue / Aquatic Elf Soldier / Aquatic Elf Wizard / Aquatic Ogre / Aquatic Troll (Scrag) / Half-Celestial Locathah / Koalinth (Female) / Koalinth (Male) / Koalinth Blackguard / Koalinth Cleric / Koalinth Leader / Kooatowa / Kooatowa Guard / Kooatowa Harpooner / Kooatowa Maruader / Kooatowa Monitor / Kooatowa Slaver / Kooatowa Whip / Locathah / Locathah Crossbowman / Locathah Druid / Locathah Eel Rider / Locathah Leader / Locathah Sergeant / Merfolk (Female) / Merfolk (Male) / Merfolk Assassin / Merfolk Bard / Merfolk Crossbowman / Merfolk Druid / Merfolk Wizard / Merrow / Tortle / Tortle Ninja
    • Ogres (Page 35) / Oni Mage / Oni Night Haunter / Ogre (Female) / Ogre (Male) / Ogre Barbarian / Ogre Nightstalker / Ogre Savage / Ogre Shaman / Ogre Skirmisher / Ogre War Hulk / Skullcrusher Ogre / Zombie Ogre
    • Pyramid Guardians (Page 37) / Androsphinx / Criosphinx / Crypt Thing / Death Dog / Eater of the Dead / Giant Mummy / Giant Skeleton / Gynosphinx / Hiercosphinx / Horusfolk / Horusfolk Cleric / Jackalwere / Krenshar / Lammasu / Marrulurk / Marrusault / Marrutact / Minor Sphinx / Mummy / Mummy Knight / Mummy Lord / Mummy Queen / Mummy Wizard / Shedu / Skeleton / Stone Golem
    • Sahuagin (Page 40) / Sahuagin (Female) / Sahuagin (Male) / Sahuagin Baron / Sahuagin Chieftain / Sahuagin Malenti / Sahuagin Mutant / Sahuagin Netter / Sahuagin Priestess / Sahuagin Raider / Sahuagin Sentry / Sahuagin Warlock
    • Sea Monsters (Page 41) / Acid Shark / Blowfat Glowfish / Chuul / Chuul Juggernaut / Cuttlefish / Dragon Eel / Dragonfish / Dragon Turtle (Huge) / Dragon Turtle (Gargantuan) / Eye of the Deep / Hippocampus / Ixitxachitl / Ixitxachitl, Vampiric / Kapoacinth / Kelpie (Horse) / Kelpie (Humanoid) / Kraken / Monstrous Crab (Gargantuan) / Monstrous Crab (Huge) / Monstrous Crab (Large) / Monstrous Crab (Medium) / Monstrous Crab (Small) / Morkoth / Nereid / Nixie (Female) / Nixie (Male) / Nixie Druid / Nixie Queen / Scylla / Sea Drake / Sea Hag / Sea Kitty / Sea Serpent / Seawolf / Seawolk (Hybrid Form) / Sirine
    • Water (Page 48) / Ooze Para-Elemental (Huge) / Ooze Para-Elemental (Large) / Ooze Para-Elemental (Medium) / Ooze Para-Elemental (Small) / Water Elemental (Huge) / Water Elemental (Large) / Water Elemental (Medium) / Water Elemental (Small) / Water Grue / Water Weird (Large) / Water Weird (Medium) / Tojanida (Adult) / Tojanida (Elder) / Tojanida (Juvenille) / Triton (Female) / Triton (Male) / Triton King / Triton Spellcaster / Water Archon Shoal Reaver / Water Archon Tide Strider / Water Archon Wave Shaper / Water Hawk / Water Oracle
    • Wizards (Page 51) / Dragonborn Wizard / Drow Wizard (Female) / Drow Wizard (Male) / Dwarf Wizard (Female) / Dwarf Wizard (Male) / Elf Wizard x4 / Gnome Wizard (Female) x2 / Gnome Wizard (Male) x2 / Halfling Wizard (Female) / Halfling Wizard (Male) x2 / Homonculus / Human Apprentice (Female) / Human Apprentice (Male) / Human Wizard (Female) x7 / Human Wizard (Male) x7 / High Elf Wizard x6 / Tiefling Wizard (Female) / Tiefling Wizard (Male) / Warforged Wizard

Now let me make that list shorter. I remove the ones that are in one of the forbidden classes (eg. undead, vermin), but keep some cases when I'm not sure of the type. I remove the class levels or roles or titles (eg. wizard, archer, soldier, prisoner, civilian, tribesman, queen), equipment, genders, multipliers (I assume the MitD isn't two Kobolds), size categories and ages, and undead templates when the base monster is clear (there's an Ettin Skeelton but not Ettin yet), keeping only one of each species of monster. Note that most player races appear under the "Cleric" group here because that's where they appear first in the above list. I may have made a few mistakes, which is why I have posted the full list above too.
    Spoiler: Reduced list of monsters
    Show

Autumn
    • Bugs: / Ankheg / Aranea (Hybrid Form) / Aranea (Spider Form) / Blade Spider / Cave Fisher / Deathjump Spider / Demonweb Spider / Dire Maggot / Drider / Ettercap x2 / Giant Roly Poly / Gloomwing / Hellfire Scorpion / Mantisfolk / Phase Spider / Purple Worm Purple Wormling / Rot Grub / Scorpionfolk / Spider-Eater / Stormclaw Scorpion / Tenebrous Worm
    • Clerics: / Aasimar / Dragonborn / Drow / Dwarf / Elf / Halfling / Half-Orc / High Elf / Human / Tiefling / Warforged
    • Constructs: / Caryatid Column / Clay Golem / Eidolon / Flesh Golem / Helmed Horror / Iron Golem / Kolyarut / Marut / Maug / Nimblewright / Shadesteel Golem / Shield Guardian / Stone Golem / Tin Golem / Zelekhut
    • Demons: / Abyssal Maw / Babau / Balor (Type VI Demon) / Bar-Igura / Bebilith / Cambion / Carnage Demon / Chasme / Dretch / Glabrezu (Type III Demon) / Goristo / Hezrou (Type II Demon) / Incubus / Manes / Marilith (Type V Demon) / Molydeus / Nabassu / Nalfeshnee (Type IV Demon) / Rutterkin / Quasit / Shadow Demon / Succubus / Yochol / Vrock (Type I Demon)
    • Devils: / Abishai (Black) / Abishai (Blue) / Abishai (Green) / Abishai (Red) / Abishai (White) / Archdevil / Assassin Devil / Barbed Devil / Bearded Devil / Bone Devil / Chain Devil / Erinyes / Fallen Angel / Harvester Devil / Hellcat / Hell Hound / Horned Devil / Ice Devil / Imp / Legion Devil / Lemure / Misfortune Devil / Nessian Warhound / Nupperibo / Pit Fiend / Shocktroop Devil / Spined Devil / Styx Devil / War Devil / Withering Devil
    • Dragons: / Black Dragon / Dracolich / Half-Dragon / Red Shadow Dragon
    • Hobgoblins: / Hobgoblin / Norker
    • Paladins: / Celestial Steed / Half-Celestial / Half-Ogre
    • Skeletons: / Ettin / Horse / Kobold / Megaraptor / Minotaur
    • Spooooooky!: / Annis Hag / Berbalang / Bog Hag / Cauchemar / Death Hag / Green Hag / Flying Monkey / Headless Horseman / Howling Hag / Lagoon Creature / Night Hag / Nightmare / Nothic / Patchwork Doll / Pumpkinhead / Vargouille / War Nightmare / Western Hag / Yeth Hound
    • Zombies: / Bugbear / Giant / Grey Render / Wyvern

Spring
    • Animals: / Ape / Armadillo / Baboon / Badger / Bat / Billy Goat Gruff / Bison / Black Bear / Blood Hawk / Boar / Brown Bear / Cat / Cheetah / Crocodile / Deer / Dire Ape / Dire Badger / Dire Bat / Dire Bear / Dire Boar / Dire Hyena / Dire Lion / Dire Rat / Dire Sloth / Dire Tiger / Dire Toad / Dire Weasel / Dire Wolf / Dire Wolverine / Dog / Eagle / Elephant / Elk / Fox / Giant Ape / Giant Chameleon / Giant Crocodile / Giant Elk / Giant Frog / Giant Goat / Giant Lizard / Giant Tortoise / Gibbon / Hawk / Hedgehog / Hippopotamus / Hyena / Jackal / Kangaroo / Lemur / Lion / Lizard / Lynx / Monitor Lizard / Monkey / Moose / Okapi / Ostrich / Otter / Owl / Panther / Penguin / Polar Bear / Raccoon / Rat / Raven / Rhinoceros / Snake / Tiger / Toad / Turtle / Vulture / War Elephant / Weasel / Wildebeest / Wolf / Wolverine
    • Centaurs & Harpies: / Centaur / Harpy
    • Dragons: / Green Dragon (Gargantuan) / Green Dragon (Huge) / Green Dragon (Large) / Green Dragon (Medium) / Green Dragon (Small) / Green Dragon (Tiny) / Guard Drake / Pseudodragon / Rage Drake / Spiretop Drake / Spitting Drake / Wyvern
    • Druids: / Catfolk
    • The Fey: / Banshrae / Briar Witch Dryad / Brownie / Dryad / Faerie Dragon / Gremlin / Grig / Grig Fiddler / Jermlaine / Killmoulis / Kitsune / Lamia Swarm / Leprechaun / Meenlock / Nymph / Pixie / Pooka / Quickling / Satyr / Satyr Piper / Spriggan / Sprite / Will O’Wisp
    • Gnolls: / Cacklefiend Hyena / Flind / Gnoll / Half-Fiend Gnoll
    • Goblins: / Goblin / Half-Fiend Goblin / Worg
    • Monsters: / Basilisk / Chimera / Griffon / Lamia / Manticore / Owlbear / Oxidation Critter
    • Mounts: / Camel / Donkey / Llama / Pack Mule / Pack Yak / Pegaus / Hippogriff / Racing Bird / Racing Snail / Riding Boar / Riding Dog / Riding Horse / Riding Pony / Riding Lizard / Riding Zebra / Unicorn / Warhorse / Warpony / War Rhino
    • Orcs: / Orc / Orog
    • Plants: / Cactusfolk / Fungusfolk / Needle Blight / Phantom Fungus / Twig Blight / Vine Blight
    • Trolls: / Bridge Troll / Cave Troll / Forest Troll / Mountain Troll / Troll / Two-Headed Troll / War Troll

Summer
    • Dragons: / Bloodseeker Drake / Brass Dragon / Crystal Drake / Dracotaur / Dracotaur Rager / Dragonne / Half-Dragon Horse / Half-Dragon Wolf / Horned Drake / Red Dragon
    • Fire: / Ash Rat / Azer Beastlady / Azer Foot Soldier / Azer Rager / Azer Taskmaster / Azer Warrior / Fire Archon Blazesteel / Fire Archon Ash Disciple / Fire Archon Emberguard / Fire Bat / Firelasher / Fire Oracle / Flame Snake / Magma Claw / Magma Para-Elemental / Magma Strider / Magmin / Phoelarch Mage / Phoelarch Warrior / Phoera / Rast / Rockfire Dreadnought / Salamander / Thoqquaa
    • Genies: / Efreet / Marid
    • Giants: / Fire Giant / Fire Titan / Sea Giant / Storm Giant
    • Kobolds: / Black Dragonwrought Kobold / Blue Dragonwrought Kobold / Green Dragonwrought Kobold / Kobold / Red Dragonwrought Kobold / Urd / War Weasel / White Dragonwrought Kobold
    • Lizardfolk: / Blackscale Lizardfolk / Chameleonfolk / Dark Talon Lizardfolk / Firenewt / Giant Strider / Greenscale / Lizardfolk / Lizard King / Poison Dusk Lizardfolk / Venomtongue
    • Marine Animals: / Baleen Whale (Humpback) / Barracuda / Big Fish / Bigger Fish / Cachalot Whale (Sperm) / Dire Barracuda / Dire Eel / Dire Shark / Dolphin / Dolphin, Psionic / Eel / Electric Eel / Giant Clam / Giant Leech / Giant Octopus / Giant Sea Anemone / Giant Seahorse / Giant Squid / Jellyfish / Leopard Seal / Little Fish / Manta Ray / Octopus / Orca (Killer Whale) / Otter / Porpoise / Sea Lion / Shark / Snapping Turtle / Squid / Stingray / Swordfish / Walrus
    • Oceanfolk: / Aquatic Elf / Aquatic Ogre / Aquatic Troll (Scrag) / Half-Celestial Locathah / Koalinth / Kooatowa / Locathah / Merfolk / Merrow / Tortle
    • Ogres: / Oni / Ogre / Skullcrusher Ogre
    • Pyramid Guardians: / Androsphinx / Criosphinx / Crypt Thing / Death Dog / Eater of the Dead / Gynosphinx / Hiercosphinx / Horusfolk / Jackalwere / Krenshar / Lammasu / Marrulurk / Marrusault / Marrutact / Minor Sphinx / Shedu / Stone Golem
    • Sahuagin: / Sahuagin / Sahuagin Mutant
    • Sea Monsters: / Acid Shark / Blowfat Glowfish / Chuul / Chuul Juggernaut / Cuttlefish / Dragon Eel / Dragonfish / Dragon Turtle / Eye of the Deep / Hippocampus / Ixitxachitl / Ixitxachitl, Vampiric / Kapoacinth / Kelpie (Horse) / Kelpie (Humanoid) / Kraken / Monstrous Crab / Morkoth / Nereid / Nixie / Scylla / Sea Drake / Sea Hag / Sea Kitty / Sea Serpent / Seawolf / Seawolk (Hybrid Form) / Sirine
    • Water: / Water Grue / Water Weird / Tojanida / Triton / Water Archon / Water Hawk / Water Oracle
    • Wizards: / Homonculus

Does this have any unusual monsters that we might not have considered? I don't know what many of those monsters are.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

Do you think any of the monsters in them could turn out to be the same kind of monster as the MitD? It's not very likely, but might be worth to read just in case he did hide the MitD in there somewhere
    It is telling that there is only one of the 5 D&D FBS monsters in the list (the Glabrezu). And what it tells me is two things. First, that there is a lot of monsters, and thus Rich's monster sheets is nowhere near comprehensive. Two, he is sticking to low-mid-high level monsters, rather than the epic ones we tend to rely on.

Is he deliberately avoiding MitD's species? Can't say. I can imagine arguments for both doing it and not. But given that the slaads haven't made it to the list yet, even though they have been shown up in the comic, I think the answer is simply he is going for the better known monsters - i.e. the ones most likely to be needed in an adventure - and leaving the rare ones most people have never heard of aside, just for the practical purpose of "I will sell more of these things if the buyers actually use the damned thing than if it is a roster of creatures you've never heard of and never would use".

Grey Wolf

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It is telling that there is only one of the 5 D&D FBS monsters in the list (the Glabrezu). And what it tells me is two things. First, that there is a lot of monsters, and thus Rich's monster sheets is nowhere near comprehensive. Two, he is sticking to low-mid-high level monsters, rather than the epic ones we tend to rely on.

Is he deliberately avoiding MitD's species? Can't say. I can imagine arguments for both doing it and not. But given that the slaads haven't made it to the list yet, even though they have been shown up in the comic, I think the answer is simply he is going for the better known monsters - i.e. the ones most likely to be needed in an adventure - and leaving the rare ones most people have never heard of aside, just for the practical purpose of "I will sell more of these things if the buyers actually use the damned thing than if it is a roster of creatures you've never heard of and never would use".

Grey Wolf
    I actually asked Rich about that. He has a stack of monster manuals across a few editions, and he's copying the ones that appear across most of the editions. This list is, if you needed confirmation for some reason, not remotely exhaustive for what he has access to.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I actually asked Rich about that. He has a stack of monster manuals across a few editions, and he's copying the ones that appear across most of the editions. This list is, if you needed confirmation for some reason, not remotely exhaustive for what he has access to.
    For reference:
    I have every edition of D&D monster book in either hardcopy or PDF available; the "major categories" are the ones that have persisted across every edition of the game. I basically just went through the Monster Manuals and decided which season the monster "felt" like to me, and then grouped them into broader categories, Sometimes those are really obvious, like animals or undead. Sometimes less so: Autumn has a group called "Spooooky" that arose from a bunch of Halloween-style monsters that didn't have a better category, like Hags, Scarecrows, and Berbelangs. And then, once I'm working out positioning on the page, there are gaps that I need to fill in a given category to maximize the page space. That's when I either go deep-diving for an obscure monster of the right size and theme, or I include a "non-D&D" monster, like the Plumbing Pipe Plant or the Racing Snail.

I also started with the biggest categories of "boring" creatures and split them up, one to a set. What I mean by boring is, the things that you need to have if you want to have the whole Monster Manual, but are in no way exciting or even fantastical: land animals, aquatic animals, vermin, and dinosaurs are the ones I came up with. All necessary, but all very large categories that don't offer much thrill to a potential buyer.

My hope is that by the time I'm done, the set will cover at least every monster in every "main" Monster Manual from every edition—OD&D, 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e, and 5e—plus every character class from every main PHB. Many of the bonus monsters for this set that weren't in the Kickstarter version are from the 5e MM, which wasn't out yet when I did Spring the first time. I don't think I'll get through everything in 4 volumes, though, which is why I'm speculating that I'll extend it to 8, as long as they end up being popular enough to warrant the effort.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

20. - Top - End - #860

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grey Wolf
    Slaadi are almost certainly absent because they're still held under WotC copyright. He can include them in the comic under fair use doctrine, but he can't sell miniatures of them without permission. If not for that, I think they'd make it in at some point.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2017-11-03 at 05:07 PM.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

21. - Top - End - #861

BlueWizardGirl

Can someone provide a list (if it's not very long) of monsters that can have the Wish, Limited Wish or Miracle ability?

I still feel convinced that the moster used that, rather than teleport, to rescue O-Chul and V (because MITD wasn't teleported; because he sent O-Chuk and V directly to the Azurites without being aware of the Azurites' location; and because of MITD's comment during the acid-shark scene that he was surprised really wanting a thing to happen didn't make it happen, which suggests some subconscious awareness of having Wish-style powers).

22. - Top - End - #862
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

After reading the most recent 5 pages or so, I've decided to place my vote on Slaad (White > Black). It fits the abilities better than just about any other candidate, and the backstory isn't a deal breaker. Besides, I imagine he could get permission to sell miniatures if he tried. Oots has a decent following now.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I keep going round and round with ideas, but the one that keeps screaming at me is Pit Fiend.

Yeah, yeah, the circus scene... But everything else fits perfectly (even Trenchant Political Analysis).

Of course, there's still Raccoon Mario from the Go board, and the 'fine line' that I wrote my ideas about somewhere in one of these threads (a stat block of one of Rich's monsters separated from the MitD's species by a fine line in a book).

Edit: Has there ever been a picture of a Child Pit Fiend? Maybe the reason no one at the circus recognized him is because he didn't have the iconic adult features yet...
    Last edited by mouser9169; 2017-11-05 at 08:16 PM.
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mouser9169 View Post
    I keep going round and round with ideas, but the one that keeps screaming at me is Pit Fiend.

Yeah, yeah, the circus scene... But everything else fits perfectly (even Trenchant Political Analysis).

Of course, there's still Raccoon Mario from the Go board, and the 'fine line' that I wrote my ideas about somewhere in one of these threads (a stat block of one of Rich's monsters separated from the MitD's species by a fine line in a book).

Edit: Has there ever been a picture of a Child Pit Fiend? Maybe the reason no one at the circus recognized him is because he didn't have the iconic adult features yet...
    As outsiders, pit fiends do not have children, but rather spontaneously evolve pokemon style from other, lesser devils.

25. - Top - End - #865

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Thermophille View Post
    After reading the most recent 5 pages or so, I've decided to place my vote on Slaad (White > Black). It fits the abilities better than just about any other candidate, and the backstory isn't a deal breaker. Besides, I imagine he could get permission to sell miniatures if he tried. Oots has a decent following now.
    I wasn't trying to say that MitD couldn't be a Slaad due to copyright, just that copyright is a likely reason for their disinclusion from the monster printouts. The Giant probably could get permission, but that would be enough of a pain that I doubt he would. For the comic, though, he almost certainly doesn't need it.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

26. - Top - End - #866

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Can someone provide a list (if it's not very long) of monsters that can have the Wish, Limited Wish or Miracle ability?

I still feel convinced that the monster used that, rather than teleport, to rescue O-Chul and V (... because of MITD's comment during the acid-shark scene that he was surprised really wanting a thing to happen didn't make it happen, which suggests some subconscious awareness of having Wish-style powers).
    That's an interpretation that had never occurred to me, and I like it. That scene suggested great naivete on MiTD's part, but if it were this instead, what a great subtle clue was planted there...

Great analysis, Lady. Thanks.
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    That's an interpretation that had never occurred to me, and I like it. That scene suggested great naivete on MiTD's part, but if it were this instead, what a great subtle clue was planted there...
    It is an interpretation that has been proposed several times before. It has a major problem: if MitD has access to wish, and has been using it regularly enough that he expects his wishes to come true because they do (rather than because he is that naive), then why didn't O-Chul get teleported out long before the tower scene? Given that MitD regularly wishes O-Chul to escape whenever he is used in Xykon's entertainment?

This reasoning is the basis why it would fit best for MitD to have time-limited wishing ability (say 1/month) and he simply has been using to wish for gruel or the like. But again, timing. Just like it's a stretch that MitD happened to use teleport to send O-Chul to the right place, it is a stretch that MitD would just happen to have a casting of Wish ready at the time, if he had been using it regularly but they were time-limited.

Put another way: we know that in the tower scene he discovered powers he didn't know he had - that excludes the possibility that he had been casting wish all along every time he wanted a taco.

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It is an interpretation that has been proposed several times before. It has a major problem: if MitD has access to wish, and has been using it regularly enough that he expects his wishes to come true because they do (rather than because he is that naive), then why didn't O-Chul get teleported out long before the tower scene? Given that MitD regularly wishes O-Chul to escape whenever he is used in Xykon's entertainment?

This reasoning is the basis why it would fit best for MitD to have time-limited wishing ability (say 1/month) and he simply has been using to wish for gruel or the like. But again, timing. Just like it's a stretch that MitD happened to use teleport to send O-Chul to the right place, it is a stretch that MitD would just happen to have a casting of Wish ready at the time, if he had been using it regularly but they were time-limited.

Put another way: we know that in the tower scene he discovered powers he didn't know he had - that excludes the possibility that he had been casting wish all along every time he wanted a taco.

Grey Wolf
    Given that the MITD also knew what the Astral Plane looked like, even though he had never been there, I don't think we can safely assume that he is completely without knowledge of what his powers are, even if its just an instinctual expectation rather than conscious knowledge.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

New crackpot theory: MitD was fed gruel, hated it, and inadvertantly Wished he enjoyed it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Given that the MITD also knew what the Astral Plane looked like, even though he had never been there,
    We do not know that to be true. He doesn't remember having been in the Astral Plane, but that is not the same as he has never been in it.

I don't think we can safely assume that he is completely without knowledge of what his powers are, even if its just an instinctual expectation rather than conscious knowledge.
    Word of Rich (emphasis mine):
    the monster digs deep and discovers powers that he didn't even know he had in order to save him.
    GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-11-06 at 12:41 PM.