Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1512
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: MitD X: If I told you, you wouldn't believe me

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    To quote the demon roach:

"Quick, kids: figure out which monsters have "trenchant political analysis" as a Special Attack"

I've re-read this and it got me thinking. Maybe it's just a joke on us and our guessing of MitD's species. Or maybe it is a joke and still has some clue hidden in it. The "trenchant" word bugs me. It doesn't seems to be a word commonly used (but I may be wrong, since I don't live in a english-speaking country).

Maybe TPA means something...

Maybe there's some sort of anagram hidden in the expression...

Or maybe I'm overthinking it...
    Trenchant is not a word commonly used, but most college graduates would recognize it. It's not obscure like "lucubrations".

I think it's just a joke about people trying to figure out what MitD is, nothing more. If I had to use it as a clue, I'd say it points to a creature where the species has complex politics among its members, such as hags. Not that I think "hag" is a good choice - for starters, usually female.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ettin in the Playground

To quote the demon roach:

"Quick, kids: figure out which monsters have "trenchant political analysis" as a Special Attack"

I've re-read this and it got me thinking. Maybe it's just a joke on us and our guessing of MitD's species. Or maybe it is a joke and still has some clue hidden in it. The "trenchant" word bugs me. It doesn't seems to be a word commonly used (but I may be wrong, since I don't live in a english-speaking country).

Maybe TPA means something...

Maybe there's some sort of anagram hidden in the expression...

Or maybe I'm overthinking it...
    I think you're overthinking it-- "trenchant" seems like a perfectly appropriate word to me there.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I believe Oona represents as female. She calls herself "beastmistress".

I doubt it's important, more of an artistic choice, but in the penultimate panel of #1041, it is pretty clear that MitD has the brush in his right hand and is holding the paint can in his left - so, how does he hold the umbrella in place? He even tilts his head backward.

Perhaps we can handwave this as the umbrella being magically kept in place somehow. It may imply a third limb, though.
    It may also imply really large hands/paws/whatever, big enough to grasp both the paint can (did it have a handle? I didn't look back) and the handle of the umbrella. I've seen people do similar things, and have done similar thing myself, it can be done but takes a certain amount of dexterity. So it may imply a certain amount of Dexterity, too, whether intentionally or not on the part of the artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    It may also imply really large hands/paws/whatever, big enough to grasp both the paint can (did it have a handle? I didn't look back) and the handle of the umbrella. I've seen people do similar things, and have done similar thing myself, it can be done but takes a certain amount of dexterity. So it may imply a certain amount of Dexterity, too, whether intentionally or not on the part of the artist.
    Or else he is resting the umbrella on the top of his head.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #1355

SamuraiGuy

Or else he is resting the umbrella on the top of his head.

GW
    And when he tilts his head back to admire his handiwork (pawiwork? tentaclework?), that would normally make it slide off. Also, it doesn't look any different relative to his eyes.

In the 6th panel of #1041, you can also see the paintbrush on the right side with the can on the left, and in the 7th panel, you can see that the paint brush and the umbrella aren't near each other.

Possibilities that occur to me to explain this:
    • Artistic license
    • Third limb
    • Umbrella always rests atop head, doesn't slide for reasons (fur? crest?)
    • Umbrella is enchanted to remain fixed distance above head, no interaction required

I don't think we've ever seen MitD asleep while under the umbrella, which would answer the question as to whether or not some conscious action on his part was required. Given that we know he's lazy, though, I think a solution that requires no effort on his part is most likely; that is, probably the umbrella is enchanted to stay in place when it enchanted to create magical darkness.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Troll in the Playground

I would guess that he could be holding the umbrella and the paint can in the same hand? Even with a hand with 2 fingers and a thumb, you need only hang the can's handle over the lower finger and then still use the whole hand to grip something like a paint can or brush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

7. - Top - End - #1357

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    I would guess that he could be holding the umbrella and the paint can in the same hand? Even with a hand with 2 fingers and a thumb, you need only hang the can's handle over the lower finger and then still use the whole hand to grip something like a paint can or brush.
    That is clearly not the case in #1041 panel 7. The paint can is clearly visible at his side; there's no sign of the umbrella handle at all. In panel #6 we can see the paint brush on his right side, and the paint brush is used in the six-panel brushing sequence immediately following panel 7. Then in the penultimate panel the paint can is where it was in panels 6 and 7, the umbrella handle is nowhere near it, and his head is clearly tipped back.

To be clear, I think this is a clue that the umbrella is magical, not that there must be a 3rd limb somewhere. However, I don't think "using one limb to grasp two items" works.

8. - Top - End - #1358

AssassinGuy

In the 6th panel of #1041, you can also see the paintbrush on the right side with the can on the left, and in the 7th panel, you can see that the paint brush and the umbrella aren't near each other.
    In the 6th panel, the unmbrella handle is near enough the paint can that one hand conceivably could be holding both, if it were big enough- or there could be a second hand there.

In the 7th panel it actually looks, to me, like the umbrella has been shifted to the other side, so the handle would be to the right. The knob on top is pointing to the creature's left. I believe he's holding it in his right hand in that panel.

The next time he's shown in full view is very debatable, he could be A) holding it in a third limb, B) holding the umbrella and paint brush in one hand, which would be a very big hand, or C) holding the umbrella and paint can in the same hand, with the handles adjacent (it looks like this to me, the paint can is on the other side of his body and he's holding the umbrella cross-body).

There's a lot of artistic license with the paint items, we probably can't take them as a clue... but I've been wrong many times before.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

9. - Top - End - #1359

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    In the 6th panel, the unmbrella handle is near enough the paint can that one hand conceivably could be holding both, if it were big enough- or there could be a second hand there.

In the 7th panel it actually looks, to me, like the umbrella has been shifted to the other side, so the handle would be to the right. The knob on top is pointing to the creature's left. I believe he's holding it in his right hand in that panel.

The next time he's shown in full view is very debatable, he could be A) holding it in a third limb, B) holding the umbrella and paint brush in one hand, which would be a very big hand, or C) holding the umbrella and paint can in the same hand, with the handles adjacent (it looks like this to me, the paint can is on the other side of his body and he's holding the umbrella cross-body).

There's a lot of artistic license with the paint items, we probably can't take them as a clue... but I've been wrong many times before.
    To support the artistic license, note that in the penultimate panel the umbrella handle points to the left, but in the last panel, to the right. I think this should be filed under "which of Roy's boots is larger" type variations - the handle always points away from the viewer.

This is actually very advanced technology, as it's indistinguishable from an enchanted umbrella that move and turns to provide darkness for the monster therein.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To support the artistic license, note that in the penultimate panel the umbrella handle points to the left, but in the last panel, to the right. I think this should be filed under "which of Roy's boots is larger" type variations - the handle always points away from the viewer.

This is actually very advanced technology, as it's indistinguishable from an enchanted umbrella that move and turns to provide darkness for the monster therein.
    Since we are talking about the umbrella, have we ever given any thought to the possibility that the umbrella itself might be a clue. That maybe the fact that mitD "protects itself" (as in "protects his identity") with an umbrella might be The Giant giving us a hint that he's a creature, not vulnerable to water or rain, but originated in a dry enviroment, like a desert. That would explain why the hunters think it's odd for him to be there.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Since we are talking about the umbrella, have we ever given any thought to the possibility that the umbrella itself might be a clue. That maybe the fact that mitD "protects itself" (as in "protects his identity") with an umbrella might be The Giant giving us a hint that he's a creature, not vulnerable to water or rain, but originated in a dry enviroment, like a desert. That would explain why the hunters think it's odd for him to be there.
    Given that he uses it at the insistence of Xykon and Redcloak rather than his own volition, I doubt it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Trenchant is not a word commonly used, but most college graduates would recognize it. It's not obscure like "lucubrations".

I think it's just a joke about people trying to figure out what MitD is, nothing more. If I had to use it as a clue, I'd say it points to a creature where the species has complex politics among its members, such as hags. Not that I think "hag" is a good choice - for starters, usually female.
    Unless it's a really obscure play on words to be a pseudo-synonym for "Abyssal," Yup, agreed.

13. - Top - End - #1363

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Given that he uses it at the insistence of Xykon and Redcloak rather than his own volition, I doubt it.
    However the choice of duckies was his. He got to choose what sort of umbrella he used. Now, do ducks give us a clue? We've already had Blackwing call an allosaurus a clade brother, so would choosing duckies as opposed to froggies or flowers or snails indicate a reptilian or avian creature?

Yes, I'm definitely overthinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    Unless it's a really obscure play on words to be a pseudo-synonym for "Abyssal," Yup, agreed.
    I had to look up the word origins, and it turns out it means "sharp" rather than anything to do with a trench. There are even trenchant blades out there.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I believe Oona represents as female. She calls herself "beastmistress".

I doubt it's important, more of an artistic choice, but in the penultimate panel of #1041, it is pretty clear that MitD has the brush in his right hand and is holding the paint can in his left - so, how does he hold the umbrella in place? He even tilts his head backward.

Perhaps we can handwave this as the umbrella being magically kept in place somehow. It may imply a third limb, though.
    Speaking of #1041 (and the comics preceding it) - MitD very distinctly does not mark the snow behind him as he moves. You can see this in #1041, where he marks half a dozen doors without leaving a single footprint, but it's even more obvious (once you know what to look for) in #1039, where Oona, Greyview, Xykon, and Redcloak all produce footprints (Xykon doesn't have any footprints leading to the statue, but he's also got a flight spell going, and he leaves footprints when he does walk), but MitD doesn't. This seems to imply to me that MitD doesn't actually walk, and leans in favor of the "imprecise telekinesis" explanation for the movements he makes, but he does need to actually have feet in order to be able to stomp them, and we know from the same scene that he's got some kind of appendage he can use to point at things.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    ...ones that are obviously wrong, like "he's secretly Zeus!"...
    What if it is Zeus?
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

15. - Top - End - #1365

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    Speaking of #1041 (and the comics preceding it) - MitD very distinctly does not mark the snow behind him as he moves. You can see this in #1041, where he marks half a dozen doors without leaving a single footprint, but it's even more obvious (once you know what to look for) in #1039, where Oona, Greyview, Xykon, and Redcloak all produce footprints (Xykon doesn't have any footprints leading to the statue, but he's also got a flight spell going, and he leaves footprints when he does walk), but MitD doesn't. This seems to imply to me that MitD doesn't actually walk, and leans in favor of the "imprecise telekinesis" explanation for the movements he makes, but he does need to actually have feet in order to be able to stomp them, and we know from the same scene that he's got some kind of appendage he can use to point at things.
    I believe Grey already mentioned the point about the footprints in the OP.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

16. - Top - End - #1366

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    2.c.

Probably artistic license. Would he wear boots? Even xykon is. Did he acquire a jacket of any kind? Do the fbs entries or other favorites have reactions to the cold? For example it can't be a fire elemental, he'd be surrounded in steam all the time now. And I know that wasn't a real suggestion, I'm making a point in an iPad and can't go through the real ones easily.

17. - Top - End - #1367

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    2.c.

Probably artistic license. Would he wear boots? Even xykon is. Did he acquire a jacket of any kind? Do the fbs entries or other favorites have reactions to the cold? For example it can't be a fire elemental, he'd be surrounded in steam all the time now. And I know that wasn't a real suggestion, I'm making a point in an iPad and can't go through the real ones easily.
    What do boots have to do with anything? Xykon and Greyview leave tracks without them, so the footprints aren't strictly bootprints. Also, I'd like to note that the comic cited in section 2c does not necessarily show that MitD leaves tracks in general - it shows that he left a trail when moving Roy's corpse over to his tea set. If he dragged the body, or bounced it as he carried it, that would leave some pretty strange tracks without MitD himself touching the ground (which we know to be quite firm and rocky, and thus perhaps not as likely to show clear marks of a body being dragged.

edit:

I'm suspicious of the "artistic license" explanation in this particular case. The Giant scrupulously added footprints to for every other character walking on snow in that section (which iirc is the first where we see characters walking on snow that isn't waist-deep, and definitely the first such scene in the new style, so the Giant could freely make an artistic decision to show no footprints at all), and the only reason to avoid drawing them for MitD would be to deliberately avoid hinting his nature in a MitD-centric scene. Obviously we have the "trenchant political analysis" comment a few comics before telling us not to read too much into stuff, but I don't think this actually is reading too much into things.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2018-05-19 at 06:30 PM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Colossus in the Playground

I agree with unbeliever536. I don't see any real reason to show anyone's tracks except for the clue about the creature in the darkness. That being the case, I think waving off something as blatant as "look, three creatures leave two sets of tracks" as "probably artistic license" is a bad idea.
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-05-19 at 06:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1369

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I agree with unbeliever536. I don't see any real reason to show anyone's tracks except for the clue about the creature in the darkness. That being the case, I think waving off something as blatant as "look, three creatures leave two sets of tracks" as "probably artistic license" is a bad idea.
    Worth noting that the tracks in front of the door in #1041 are a little thin no matter what, since (at least) ten feet walked in and out of that door (I count four travel paths, but one of them appears to be missing half its prints). I'm mostly relying on #1039, though #1041 is where I spotted it. In fact until I checked #1039, I was getting ready to argue that #1041 was strong evidence that MitD is actually holding everything by telekinesis rather than using limbs of any sort.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2018-05-19 at 07:08 PM.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

20. - Top - End - #1370

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    What do boots have to do with anything? Xykon and Greyview leave tracks without them, so the footprints aren't strictly bootprints. Also, I'd like to note that the comic cited in section 2c does not necessarily show that MitD leaves tracks in general - it shows that he left a trail when moving Roy's corpse over to his tea set. If he dragged the body, or bounced it as he carried it, that would leave some pretty strange tracks without MitD himself touching the ground (which we know to be quite firm and rocky, and thus perhaps not as likely to show clear marks of a body being dragged.

edit:

I'm suspicious of the "artistic license" explanation in this particular case. The Giant scrupulously added footprints to for every other character walking on snow in that section (which iirc is the first where we see characters walking on snow that isn't waist-deep, and definitely the first such scene in the new style, so the Giant could freely make an artistic decision to show no footprints at all), and the only reason to avoid drawing them for MitD would be to deliberately avoid hinting his nature in a MitD-centric scene. Obviously we have the "trenchant political analysis" comment a few comics before telling us not to read too much into stuff, but I don't think this actually is reading too much into things.
    If he could wear them, boots would hide the shape of the tracks and there'd be no reason not to draw them (other than maybe size). The others' tracks are small and go into the snow as ovals. If MITD has large feet with separated toes they would leave such tracks obviously, or if it moved in some other non-two feet fashion the tracks would be odder still.

So your point is what, exactly? That it floats? Are you throwing Pennywise into the mix? Part of the goal of introducing observations should be applying them to the suggestions or using them to introduce new ones.

I would hope even a Balkar could identify a body dragged without accompanying tracks. He said "weird" not "missing", and in actuality doesn't even mention the body being dragged. He's just following the tracks that left the spot where the body was. Presumably he's following the ones leading further away from the city, as the tracks of everyone else in the army would be heading toward the city.

21. - Top - End - #1371

So your point is what, exactly? That it floats? Are you throwing Pennywise into the mix? Part of the goal of introducing observations should be applying them to the suggestions or using them to introduce new ones.
    My point is plainly stated, dream larva is already one of the suggestions, and I am disinclined to go along with your arbitrary rule that a clue is only a clue if it's linked to a specific proposed creature.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Titan in the Playground

dream larva
    OK, that went past me a bit too fast. I'm not seeing anything in the dream larva that suggests it doesn't leave tracks in the snow. Are you just referring to its fly at will?

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

23. - Top - End - #1373

WolfInSheepsClothing

If he could wear them, boots would hide the shape of the tracks and there'd be no reason not to draw them (other than maybe size). The others' tracks are small and go into the snow as ovals. If MITD has large feet with separated toes they would leave such tracks obviously, or if it moved in some other non-two feet fashion the tracks would be odder still.

I would hope even a Balkar could identify a body dragged without accompanying tracks. He said "weird" not "missing", and in actuality doesn't even mention the body being dragged. He's just following the tracks that left the spot where the body was. Presumably he's following the ones leading further away from the city, as the tracks of everyone else in the army would be heading toward the city.
    1) I'm still confused as to why the boot thing was brought up, but I don't think it's particularly relevant.

2) Yes, the theory is that he floats, since that's the easiest way to explain the lack of tracks. I don't think it's more persuasive than size, which I don't consider sufficient to completely dismiss a suggestion (since we know MitD is smaller than normal). The question then becomes how he leaves any tracks at all. Dragging Roy's body would leave a trail, and the trail of a body being dragged off with no other traces of whatever did the dragging would certainly be strange.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

24. - Top - End - #1374

AssassinGuy

If- if- he were a juvenile Athanasian Nightmare Beast, the MitD might be able use the Teleport psionic power to move from door to door without leaving tracks in the snow. Presuming that he has managed to master it since the Escape scene.

I realize that doesn't fully cover all the scenes, but I think it answers the question of how he managed to get to all the doors without leaving a large trail in the snow. If that turned out to be his identity.

(Please note all the italics qualifiers, as I realize this will not be convincing to those who are not convinced. Even I'm not convinced yet, and I'm the one speculating about it. But at first glance it has a certain plausibility. But I know little of how psionic powers work, so by the RAW this could be impossible.)
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2018-05-20 at 01:32 AM.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

25. - Top - End - #1375

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Also, Redcloak knew what MitD was way back in Start of Darkness, but wasn't sure psionics existed in the setting until Don't Split the Party.
    Just a quick thought, not sure if it's been gone over before...
    What if MitD was *meant* to have psionic powers, but the fact he didn't display any made Redcloak unsure if psionics existed?
    I'm aware the psionic line is probably a throwaway gag, but maybe MitD is a creature which features psionics as an optional extra (still absurdly powerful and terrifying/nauseating/beautiful).

One question I keep wanting to put to Rich (if he ever does another open q+a) would be 'do you think you've dropped enough hints in the comic so far for people to guess the MitD correctly, or is there still key information being withheld?' it'd be interesting to know the answer, as its hard when writing to know 'painfully obvious' from 'the killer was an orangutan' sometimes.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Just a quick thought, not sure if it's been gone over before...
    What if MitD was *meant* to have psionic powers, but the fact he didn't display any made Redcloak unsure if psionics existed?
    I'm aware the psionic line is probably a throwaway gag, but maybe MitD is a creature which features psionics as an optional extra (still absurdly powerful and terrifying/nauseating/beautiful).
    There are many creatures - protean amongst them, but hardly the only one - that are published before WotC has published the psionic ruleset for a given edition, and that when said rules are published are "converted" to psionic. MitD could be one of those creatures, but being MitD displayed no abilities, so RC would be aware of the potential of psionic creatures but not if the ruleset was in effect.

'do you think you've dropped enough hints in the comic so far for people to guess the MitD correctly, or is there still key information being withheld?'
    I'm going to guess he'd answer that with "Key information being withheld: what he looks like" or something along those lines.

GW

27. - Top - End - #1377

OK, that went past me a bit too fast. I'm not seeing anything in the dream larva that suggests it doesn't leave tracks in the snow. Are you just referring to its fly at will?

GW
    The dream larva is Stephen King's It (Penywise). Thus, it is my answer to the mocking "Are you throwing Pennywise into the mix?" question. It's unconnected to anything else I've posted recently, because I'm not taking the "a clue is only a clue if it's linked to a specific proposed creature" approach Throknor wants.
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-05-20 at 08:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1378

PaladinGuy

There's an alternative explanation for the Monster not appearing to leave tracks in the snow:Pass without Trace. In the penultimate panel of #1041 the brush is dripping paint but there are no drips visible on the ground. Why not? Pass without Trace would remove them. I don't know if this is a power of the umbrella or the creature. Neither the Nightmare Beast nor the Uvuudaum have this power.
    Last edited by Quartz; 2018-05-20 at 11:19 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1379

Does "alternate" mean a default presumption of flying?

Either way, Water Walk would also work. The only abilities specific to FBS candidates, as far as I can tell, are flying and telekinesis, though the protean could mimic Water Walk or Pass Without Trace.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

About the MitD's footprints in the snow. I don't think it's a clue we can do much with. One possibility is that the MitD can fly, which we suspect because he could reach doors high up, or because Half-Green-Dragon**5 Young Adult Green Dragons can fly. But there's also the more simple explanation that the MitD is light and has large surface feet, so his feet don't sink deep enough into the snow to leave a trace.

One question I keep wanting to put to Rich (if he ever does another open q+a) would be 'do you think you've dropped enough hints in the comic so far for people to guess the MitD correctly, or is there still key information being withheld?'
    I'm going to guess he'd answer that with "Key information being withheld: what he looks like" or something along those lines.
    My guess is that he wouldn't answer at all.