New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You are the Apocalypse: One

As One moves through the door, it enters a lavishly decorated bedroom. Seated on the bed is a frightened-looking woman in expensive clothing. She screams in fear as One enters and clutches the dagger in her right hand.

"Don't come closer! Don't! You killed my husband: I know you did!"
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-09-08 at 03:31 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sorry but... I think One just passed through the door XD Maybe you want to edit the post a bit.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Well, I seem to be on a roll today. Edited my post.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #154

Flumph

Drop the dagger, One says. It is not merely its voice that the woman hears, but also the Will of the True Divine carried in its words. It is a command which feels hard to resist.

Once she's dropped it (or even if she hasnt) One continues:

Say, woman, who told I did such thing? Never have I killed a man or a woman or a child. Never have I harmed. Did you see my bloody hands? Did you see me slashing his body? Did you even see his body? There's more in what has happened than death. It is a revolution, yes, and the old order is being deposed... But it is a rightful one, one which has space for everyone... Including you.

Show

Command: drop the damm weapon!
    Also, roll Diplomacy to improve her attitude (making her believe we're super-duper friendly)
    [roll]1d20+22
    Edit: Ahem... doing my roll elsewhere
    Last edited by Don nadie; 2016-09-09 at 06:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

The woman slowly lowers the dagger until it is resting on the bed next to her. Her eyes do not leave One once as she does so.

"But... but I was told you killed him! Did the heraut lie? Is my love still alive? I just don't know what to believe!"

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #156

Flumph

One smiles soflt.

Of course he is still alive, my dear child... The angel shakes its head and holds her hand. Look at me. See what I am. Do you think I am a herald of death and destruction? I am a mother and a father, I am a protector and a purifier. You all were trapped, you are still trapped: by sin, by lies, by the wealth that surrounds you. When was the last time you went to bed having met someone unexpected? When was the last time you cooked your own meals? I have come to liberate the poor from their poverty, the sick from their ilness, the rich from their wealth. Those whom I embrace will eventually live forever. It is those who lie and conspire that have brought unnecesary pain...

The angel cleans her tears.

So do not cry, child. Of course he isn't death. I can promise you he'll have life everlasting.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

The woman raises from the bed and accepts One's gesture.

"Then... can I see him? You said he's still alive!"

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #158

Flumph

One shakes its head slowly.

Not yet, it whispers sweetly.

You must be patient. He has submited to the Will of the True Divine, a Will which I represent. Before you can see him again, much must come to pass. First I need you to tell me something... Who is this heraut you speak of?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

"A heraut came to me yesterday, claiming he'd seen a great glowing beast kill my husband. I didn't believe him at first, but when the soldiers started looting, I... I just locked myself in here. I haven't seen the heraut since then: if what you say is true he must've been lying, right?"

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #160

Flumph

One shakes its head.

The heraut did not understand what he saw. I was this "glowing beast", my child. Do I seem like a monster to you? What he saw was your husband being blessed, and going somewhere else: into the embrace of the True Divine. I promise you you'll be rejoined, my dear. Your love is pure, and I'd hate to let you suffer for it.

One is honest about this. Its heart is brought low by the woman's sincere suffering. Of course it is absurd to love a human more than you love the True Divine, but mundane love is just the gateway to where all Love emanates. Perhaps One could make her understand. Still, there were priorities.

But I still must understand all that's happened here. Was the heraut a man? Is he out of the city now? And who was the masked wizard? Does the palace have any treasury that could be shared with the People?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not sure where the heraut is: I didn't see him after he told me all that. He might've left the city: I saw many do so from my bedroom window."

"The masked wizard? You mean master Rethriel? He's a member of the Seers, the kingdom's six elite wizard who serve the king directly. Master Rethriel was here to guard my husband: brother to the king. Is he gone too?"

"There is a vault in the basement, but my husband is the only one with a key."

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #162

Flumph

The angel nods slowly. It fears these wizards may spell trouble, as one of them already did.

Do you know more about these wizards? Were they all in the palace? And, where did they go?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

"Only one of them was here. The others are probably at the capital, or traveling the land in service to the king."
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-09-18 at 05:01 AM.

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #164

Flumph

One smiles softly.

Of course. Very well then. We shall now go meet the faithful, and you will accompany me. And then, if you really want it, you may embrace the True Divine and join your husband in eternal life.

The angel extends a hand to the woman, ready to guide her to the masses of people who not so long ago entered the palace.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

One's return fills its followers, who have gathered in the courtyard for now, with joy. The sight of the duke's wife seems to confuse them, though.

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #166

Flumph

One addresses the multitude still holding the woman's hand.

Faithful! Know that today the palace has fallen, that just as the false gods crumbled so did the false crowns. Know that all are victims, and all can be saved. See here the queen, the loving wife. She sinned, as did her husband, as do all men and all women and all children. But her love for the king, which is but a shadow of the Love of the True Divine, will redeem her! She will embrace the True Divine! She will submit to Its Will! And thus, she will meet once again the man she loves, and they will be rejoined in life everlasting!

One turns to the queen.

Dear child, this is a rare chance that you have now: a chance of redemption. Speak the words of a believer. Say that you submit to the True Divine and then Its love will embrace you, bring you back to the Light from whence all comes and gift you with endless life by your husband's side.

Speak
    , says the angel softly.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

"I... I submit to the True Divine."

The woman eagerly looks at One, waiting for the celestial to fulfill its promise.

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #168

Flumph

One looks back at the crows.

Hear, you faithful and faithless alike! The very Queen of this land hereby accepts the Truth, the Love, the Light! Let none say that a monster took this land, that a monster broke this crown to pieces. For what broke this kingdom is the Truth, and it only did so to bring forth a better, happier land. Now the Queen shall join the True Divine and gaze in adoration. Her life shall be eternal, her joy shall be everlasting.

Let all know!

With those words, the angel touches the queen on the brow with one finger, releasing a burst of white light. The woman feels the positive energy expanding through her body, bringing forth a sense of exhilaration... Until she bursts into white light.

The angel looks at the crowd.

Have you seen, faithful? Join in joyful prayer to give thanks for the True Divine's mercy! For the city is now free!

Show
    Angel doing the political calculation that better to have someone of the crown show herself submitting to the new rule than just burst her. Also, One feels sorry for the poor woman :)

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

The duchess's body bursts into light, and the peasants cheer. One of them, a muscular human wielding a halberd that probably used to belong to a guard, steps forward and speaks:

"Oh Bringer of Light, there undoubtedly are still soldiers within these walls. Let me and others of faith and resolve enter and take care of them, I request. Only then will this city truly be ours."

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #170

Flumph

No, says the angel. You shall not murder with weapons when there are more merciful options. Even the sinners may be turned to the Light. Nonetheless, all you soldiers shall come with me. One looks also for the soldier it converted, and if she is arround, One will take her with them.

One addresses again his summoned creatures, who were protecting the faithful: You shall run through the palace. Turn to the Light anyone who doesn't kneel in reverence at you and It who you represent.

While the birds clean up the palace of the last soldiers, One goes down, trying to find the vault of which the duchess spoke. While the creature dislikes the vile nature of money, it knows the need to control it... or else mankind will just forget redemption for the chance of a few silver coins.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

One's summons prove quite effective, and not a single soldier is encountered on the way down. At last, the celestial arrives at a large steel door. Various red runes that have been branded into the metal, as well as an ornate lock, indicate that opening it may be difficult.

The militia that has accompanied One murmers a bit amongst itself. A half-orc carrying a crowbar steps forward and speaks in heavily accented common:

"Do ah hafta crack that door, boss? Gonnah be a toughie, but it can be dun."
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-09-20 at 10:37 AM.

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #172

Flumph

Let me first examine this runes, my good child, for I would hate if it were a spell to harm you.

Carefully, the angel approaches. It mumbles a quick song of thanks to the True Divine, the Light which reveals, invoking Its power to detect any source of magic.

Show

Using Detect magic
    +roll Spellcraft (1d20+11)[13]

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

The runes are definitely magical, but One can't discern anything else about them.

The crowbar-carrying half-orc impatiently moves the crowbar from one hand to another.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-09-21 at 04:47 AM.

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #174

Flumph

One raises its hand against the wall:

Like the shadow runs from your Light may this magic be undone by your Will.

Pure light forms at the tips of its fingers as the angel speaks, light which extends through the runes trying to disrupt their energy...

Show

Cast "Dispel magic"
    CL roll [roll]|1d20+7

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

The runes slowly fade away until all that remains is the (now nonmagical) vault door.

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #176

Flumph

Now, you may use the crowbar, says One. I'll take the liberty of going ahead.

The angel lets the half-orc do his thing, and it just passes through the door to the other side of the vault.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

The room beyond the door is filled with wealth immeasurable. Stacks of gold and silver bars, piles of coins, oak barrels filled with gems, electrum statues of wealthy-looking men and women, beautifully crafted jewelry... A dragon resting on top of all it wouldn't be out of place, but no such creature can be seen.

The ceiling of the room, about twenty feet above One's head, has been decorated with four statues of winged humanoids, their hands pressed against the ceiling and feet standing on small ledges.

From outside, the very faint sounds of the half-orc trying to open the door can be heard.

Spoiler: Spot DC 20
    Show
    The ceiling statues appear to be following One with their gaze.

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #178

Flumph

One closes its eyes, suspecting foul play, and prays to the True Divine for deliveration of power enough to deal with danger and enemies. When the angel opens its eyes again, the are fiery, bright with a light not from this world. The angel locks its gaze on the nearest statue and concentrates, sending the Light into the stone body and raising its temperature from within.

Show

Damm me! Constructs, my archenemy!

Casting Aspect of the Celestial to get the Eyes of the Firre. Then standard action to deal 2d6 fire to the statue. Its not much damage, but its basically as far as One can go.

(2d6)[8]

Note also that my AC is "only" 29, since I used all my lvl 4 slots on Summons.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

The nearest statue briefly glows red, and small parts of it crumble off.

For a moment, nothing happens. Then all four statues suddenly jump towards One, using their wings to nimbly carry them through the air. They twist their arms (which One now sees are tipped with claws) and try to tear the celestial to pieces.

Unsurprisingly, they pass right through One. A look of what may be surprise appears on the stone faces.

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #180

Flumph

The angel raises its hands and brings forth the power of the True Divine. A shimmering staff made of light, much like a sheperd's, appears in mid air. Directed by the magic of One, it beings to attack the creatures.

Using this modest distraction, One goes through the wall again, to the faithful.

Wait were you are, stop what you are doing! It is imperative that you give me time, for strange monsters of stone were awaiting in this room for us. I shall destroy them with the Will of the True Divine and then return to you all.

That said, One returns inside, using its gaze on the creatures.

Show

So, I'm going with a Spiritual weapon
    Weapon roll: (1d20+10)[14]
    Weapon damage: (1d8+2)[9]
    Then move out, talk to the guys, move in, use the fire again while the weapon smashes enemies arround! :D