New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Vanstermen IC

Kįra gives Geršr a weak smile. "Not quite, but I couldn't have hoped for anything better, really. I managed to find my brother, and my nephews and their mother. I'll have to introduce you when we have time." Kįra is silent a moment, then asks, somewhat hesitantly: "You were looking too, right? Any luck?"
    Last edited by Woggle; 2016-09-04 at 09:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The Mass Exodus of Vansterrock

Those that can't sleep, work. Those that aren't working pretend to sleep or at least stay out of the way of the others. For the rest of the night, Kįra's music permeates the air, and although it's rather mournful, it seems fitting. Many of these people, sailors, raiders, and refugees alike, are leaving their homes for what they're assuming will be the last time. It's a somber night and only the constant bustle of work being done keeps it from being peaceful. A view out over the bay reveals hundreds of lanterns and torches illuminating the other ships readying for the unknown. Like ghosts of themselves, even the shops look unquiet.

The weather didn't improve much at all during the night and while the clouds overhead threatened rain, they kept the city dry. Blazes burned through entire districts as the hours ticked by. The smoke only added to the overcast sky and the flames only lit the way for more marauding and looting. Whether or not anyone deigned to hear them, cries started rising on the docks towards the end of the night. Swarms of refugees and townsfolk trying to find some safety at sea. As the ships filled more and more, they could take less and less. One group managed to break through the armed guards further south along the docks and a small army of them climbed aboard a sailing ship. The uneven weight of all those people on one side for too long snapped enough mooring lines to cause problems. Ignoring the pleas of the captain or the crew, more people climbed aboard. The ship dipped too far to one side, and in a thunderous crash it capsized into the pier. Those that didn't die outright quickly started drowning, and those that didn't were in no shape to travel. Word came down the line soon after: Deadly force was now allowed to protect one's ship and crew.

The first hint of dawn's light was a murky, muddy thing. Watery light peaking through the clouds and the smoke to a slight lessening of darkness. The wind picked up, heading west, and many captains felt this was a very good sign. Eventually a bell sounded out, calling the the dawn for those who couldn't see it and would choose to wait for sailors ashore. Each captain came out on deck, and sounded a similar command to their crew. For those of you awake on the Crimson Dog, Captain Bloodmane's orders are, "Alright, everyone aboard! Prepare oil and torches! On my count!" There's a moment of frenzied panic as the raiders guarding the dock rushed back to the ship before the swarms of humanity followed too closely. "Fire!" And then those few sailors closest to the pier while still on the ship toss a handful of clay jars. As they smash apart on the docks, torches are dropped after and a blazing inferno ignites! "Sails out! West heading!"

The Crimson Dog pulls away from Vansterrock harbor for the last time, leaving behind a sea of flames and the wails of those behind. Up and down the Dock District there's nearly a dozen scenes playing out the same way as every other sailing ship still afloat sluggishly leaves behind their homeland and people. Scores of short ships do the same, laden down low with people, supplies, or some combination of the two. The Rock itself is ablaze with the glowing reflection of the burning city below it. To the west, the night wanes over an open horizon of seawater.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll pause here to allow reactions, roleplaying, and retroactive conversations. The next post will be several days in the future, so give me some idea what your character does while at sea.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Geršr returns the weak smile. "I'd like to meet them. Found my mum and sister - I'll be sure to introduce you to them. Dad stayed behind so they could make it here. And everyone else I tried to convince to come decided to stay on the Rock. Whatever you said must've worked. I feel like a failure, though."

Over the next few days, Geršr spends her time teaching her sister about bows and figuring out what her mother can do - she knows her way around a pair of shears, and can also skin an animal really well and tan the hide - neither of which is very practical on the open sea.

She also sets aside time to sketch a new copy of the map, doing away with the symbols the islanders had put on the map, but labeling Vansterland as home. One day the children aboard the ships, and their children, and their children's children would want to know where they came from. If nothing else, having a map showing Vansterland and how to return. Geršr makes certain to leave extra room to chart the new course beyond the bounds of the map they found, and checks in periodically with Captain Bloodmane to better gauge how to mark the fleet's journey. "One day, Captain, our descendants will wonder where we sailed from. I think it'd be good if they knew."
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2016-09-05 at 10:43 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

As the boat lurches forward away from the dock, Lim is roused from a fitful sleep. Panic sets in as he scrambles out of the cramped sleeping quarters and into his clothes.
    Lim quickly grabs his shortsword before heading for the stairs.
    ****, did I miss it?

Running up onto the deck, Lim is barely able to see through the hard working crew, so he makes a run for the main mast, catching some familiar faces on the way through.
    He nods and smiles to each of his raiding companions as he passes them,

"Glad you made it back in time, damn fine mess we've gotten ourselves into."

Then he carries on and scurries up the mast to join whoever's up top in the crows nest. With a better view of the city, Lim takes in the sights, trying to commit them to what faulty memory he has.
    Looking over to the crew member up here with him, hoping he takes his meaning and doesn't interrupt him,

"Just wanted to say goodbye.

Lim puts a hand on his family sword and stares out at the city. Images of his family play in his mind, but no words come.
    After some time, Lim wipes tears off his cheeks, takes a deep breath and offers a nod to the crew member in thanks for letting him use his station.

Climbing down to join the rest of the crew, Lim helps where he can after storing his shortsword back in his chest.

Over the next few days Lim splits his time between helping out the crew and training Mik. He figures most of the ship work will be taught to him as he goes, Lim decides to teach him a few of the other skills he's picked up over the years. These lessons are to help Mik survive on his own, should the need ever arise, and keep Lim sharp and on his toes.
    For starters, Lim sets out a hard rule,

"You do not steal from those you work with. They keep you alive, best not to betray that trust."

So the training mostly involves teaching Mik to stay hidden well enough to get past Lim. Eventually he'll lead into how to pick locks, which Mik can practice on Lim's chest.

He'll also try to check in with the rest of the people he knows on the ship to see if there's anything he can help with. First aid, getting rid of boredom, anything else they would probably already know how to do, so Lim doesn't insult their skills by offering.
    Last edited by HatMadder; 2016-09-05 at 05:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155

RedKnightGirl

Ivar spends his time socializing with the crew, participating in any casual competitions - like cards or barrel lifting, but he avoids hard drink, and seems to be very cautious of getting too close to the edge of the ship.

Some nights when he can't sleep he'll walk above deck, and stare at the ocean and sky.

He remains rather tight-lipped about himself.

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Geršr returns the weak smile. "I'd like to meet them. Found my mum and sister - I'll be sure to introduce you to them. Dad stayed behind so they could make it here. And everyone else I tried to convince to come decided to stay on the Rock. Whatever you said must've worked. I feel like a failure, though."
    "Eh, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Some folk don't listen to reason even if it's busy pummelling them in the face." Kįra gazes out away from the harbour for a few moments. "I'm sorry to hear about your father. If he was at all like mine, I'm sure he'd be happy you found your mother and sister."

As dawn arrives, Kįra watches in somewhat horrified fascination as the harbour is set alight, trying not to give too much attention to the wails of those left behind. Several seasons of raiding hadn't prepared her for the sight of Vansterrock burning. After several minutes of watching, she finally turns away, turning her thoughts to the work ahead.

Once the Crimson Dog is properly underway, Kįra spends most of the next few days helping to situate her family and the rest of the Kattershir folk. She teaches young Snorri and Balder a few knots, and shows them how best to keep out of the way of the working folk on the ship when the need arises. She goes about teaching the rest the basics of ship life. What little free time she has she spends working on the beginnings of a suitable funeral dirge for Vansterrock, though the notes are only eked out slowly and laboriously. She checks in with Lim, Geršr and Ivar, and introduces her family when she gets the chance.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

If the next several days are indicative of future traveling, then you're in for a long, boring journey. But luck and life never play so well together and many of the more pessimistic captains and crews are enjoying the quiet sea while they still have it. There's some shuffling of refugees between ships and sailors being traded around to Captains that need the hands but life aboard the Crimson Dog finds its routine soon enough. The crew has been bolstered and sleeping space has become a premium. The cargo bay is filled about three quarters of the way with foods, ropes, supplies, tools, and other things while the ship also plays host to about two dozen raiders, including yourselves. The remaining civilians, as they're called, are slowly being trained to take over the chores and duties of regular sailors.

[Crimson Dog's Stats: Crew: 20, Passengers: 44 (24 Combat Ready Raiders / 20 Non-Combatant Civilians), Cargo: ~30 tons]

Ivar Jorsget, possibly in an attempt to avoid a certain boy and his sister, switched over to the night crew where he's an ace scout. Geršr spends a couple hours a day with Captain Bloodmane, working on the Vansterland Map, as she calls it and considering the course ahead. Lim's training is a favorite distraction for the younger halfling he took under his wing and while Mik needs a lot of work, all signs point to there being a lot of time to get the basics down. Kįra's leadership helps the other folks from Kattershir better adjust to life on the sea and the antics of Balder and Snorri keep a lot of spirits afloat. After everything that's happened a lot of people, sailors, raiders, and civilians alike are finally realizing what sort of choices they made. The future they set for themselves. There hasn't been a single night without at least a few quiet sobs, but no one ever offers dissent.

As the fleet sails away, at a somewhat sluggish pace, some semblance of order is achieved. A small number of the large sailing ships were merchant owned and instead of raiders or fighting men contain little more than expensive fabrics, spices, woods, foods, and other luxuries. Plenty of people volunteer to switch to those ships, but few are accepted. The majority of ships are raider owned and captained by fierce men and women. Many of those hold a bevy of civilians as well as a fighting force and a crew. The amount that people have in storage varies ship to ship, but there's rumors of a small flock of sheep on one ship and a pack of dogs on another. Moral is generally high among the greater ships as the crew are more accustomed to life at sea and are able to teach their civilians the same.

For the five score of short ships, though, it's another story. about a third of them are raider owned and rowed and those men and women grumble the least. A few more than that number are filled with civilians and some bare supplies and gear while the rest are overloaded with people and have a serious lack of food or supplies. It's a daily struggle for some ships to accommodate the appetites of their own passengers and the nearest nine or ten short ships filled with foolhardy souls. Fishing becomes incredibly important after only a few days and some short ships leave the larger fleet for hours at a time to catch their fill farther north or south. All of this while struggling to maintain an even pace westward.

On the fourth day the fleet comes across The Golden Egg, the merchant ship that first warned Captain Bloodmane of the Wildmen Army. Terrified of actually trying to sail through the Teeth, the Captain ordered a halt in the middle of the bay to try and wait out the pillaging as long as he could. Once he was informed of the situation back east, he agreed to add his ship to the fleet as well.

[Vansterland Fleet's Stats: Sailing Ships: 12, Short Ships: ~100]

Show
    I'm gonna pause here. Partly because I forgot my notes at work, and partly to allow further conversations between characters. Feel free to ask questions, even if I don't know the answer, your asking will force me to come up with one.
    Last edited by MintyNinja; 2016-10-10 at 12:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

As a routine picks up, Lim does his best to keep boredom at bay.
    He gladly spends time greeting and talking to Kįra's family, and introduces Mik to her nephews who he (perhaps mistakenly) thinks are around the same age.

Lim still always makes sure to help out the crew where he can, and continues to train Mik.
    He also tries to get most, if not all, of the civilians to contribute in some way. This will mostly involve helping them find something they're good at that can be adapted to life at sea, or just suggesting that they tail a crew member to learn the trades. Mainly it's to foster the idea that nobody is useless aboard the Crimson Dog.
    On that note, if Geršr doesn't seem to have found a place for her mother, Lim will suggest working with fish.

"I've never done it myself, but I can't imagine gutting and cleaning a fish is much different from skinning an animal. Plus she seems like a capable woman, I'm sure she'll learn quick."

Since he doesn't know all that much about actually rigging up a ship, Lim tries to keep up his job hunting. Working with Kįra at times to teach people knots, he leaves most of the ship training to those who have the skill.

Once he thinks they're nearing dangerous waters, Lim finds the Captain and after a short bit of small talk,

"I wont keep you long Cap'n, I just wanted say I've got the training to be a navigator, if need be. None of the tools mind you, but if anyone needs a break, you can call on me.

9. - Top - End - #159

As life at sea begins to settle in, Kįra spends much of her free time talking and asking the other passengers to determine if anyone else aboard has any skill carrying a tune or playing an instrument. She continues work on a fitting dirge, but also tries to organize occasional group performances in an effort to raise spirits and keep boredom at bay. She asks about the ship if anyone has a lyre aboard, and, if possible, sends a request for such an instrument out to the rest of the flotilla.

Given a little time, Kįra approaches first Geršr, and then Captain Bloodmane. "You've studied the maps much more than I, and you've also got the training, so I was wondering whether you had any idea as to how long the sail through the teeth might take. Not that it's going to change anything that I can do, but I have to say my curiosity about it has been growing pretty steadily."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Responses

Lim's antics in finding work for everyone are at first much appreciated as the civilians try to learn the sailing trade, but soon he's regarded more as an old man who can't handle boredom. He makes some progress with knots, and even picks up a few terms he didn't know before now that he's actively looking for something to do. Mik resents being paired off with the younger boys at first as they're either his height or taller, but soon they're looking up to him as he's telling them stories of city life. When Lim suggests that he could help navigate, Captain Bloodmane has him put on the rotation. Now each day starts with Lim taking a morning to afternoon shift keeping an eye on sun position, possible landmarks, and heading aboard the Crimson Dog. It's not the most entertaining job on the ship, but it keeps him out of the way of others and gives the other navigators some relief.

Kįra's attempts at organized music reach middling results. While many sailors know a shanty or two, their skill is often debatable at best. No one else on the ship seems to have the instrument requested, but a request to other ships yields results. A raider on The Bluewood is willing to trade a lyre for a shawm. While correspondence takes it's plodding time, Kįra asks about the course being sailed. The response is twofold, of course. Everyone's going slower than usual because of weight differences and something about drag, as well as the earnest attempt to not abandon the five dozen or so short ships being crewed by inexperienced sailors at best. Meaning the normal time of seven days from Vansterrock to the first islands are going to be stretched, and then it's sort of a mystery as to how long the fleet will need to dodge around the islanders and Teeth until their out into truly open water. And even more of a mystery as to how long until they run aground somewhere safe. A hopeful estimate from Bloodmane says three weeks till possible landfall.

Chronicled Timeline
    Mid-Summer, 479

4th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    The Golden Egg joins the Vansterland Fleet. The fleet contains a dozen sailing ships and about a hundred short ships. Morale is still up.

6th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    Moll's Whisper, a pleasure ship for a rich former friend of the High King, runs out of food. They have nearly sixty people on board and nothing but fine clothes and fancy ornamentation. Their already modified cargo hold is almost non-existant in exchange for private rooms. Of the sixty people, twenty are skilled crew members and forty are friends and family of leisurely folk. Captain Hansul Dorinsget of Tora's Heart has spotted them supplies for the next several days out of his own rations.

9th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    The fleet has arrived at the islands. While many want to pillage and raid and plunder, the orders have been to keep to your ships and hope that the islanders will be too afraid to strike out. The formation has been set with four Raider Captains at the head of the fleet in a fanned out arrow, and two more on each flank, with the merchant ships centered near the rear. The short ships fill in the spaces between the flanks with orders to remain behind the front rank and ahead of the merchants. The day is spent getting into formation. Moll's Whisper is out of rations again... two full days ahead of schedule.
    Last edited by MintyNinja; 2016-09-08 at 09:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Geršr continues to find herself in a low mood, with fitful dreams of her failure plaguing her. Socially she withdraws, even as she tries to make due. She initially balks at Kįra's attempts to recruit musicians. She has her flute, sure, but she's never been good at creating new music, only at playing the few tunes she already knows from childhood.

With her family, Geršr takes Lim's suggestion and presents her mother the option of becoming a fishwife. The parallels to current skills are certainly attractive. She also continues to teach her sister about proper technique with a bow. It's the one thing about the whole journey that feels slightly positive. She begins to offer bow training for other young people, to help ready them for the hunting and raiding lifestyle that will soon become necessary for all to survive.

Between the depression and the weapons training, Geršr finds the news of Moll's Whisper to be irksome the first time they run out of food. The second time she can be heard muttering under her breath that the passengers should be pitched overboard and their spots given to refugees who had shown they were worthwhile.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Happier now that he's found a way to properly contribute to the ships function, Lim's approach to "helping" others softens. If someone seems to be lazing about day after day, then he'll approach them and try to see what's happening. He still has the desire to have everyone pitch in, but there's only so many things that can be done aboard one ship. One moment he's pleased with is helping Geršr's mother find her place aboard the Crimson Dog as well.

There were a few days where Lim thought separating Mik and the two boys, but it seems like they've settled down. In return, he stepped up training with Mik and asked him if there was something he would prefer to learn.

"You've done well with those boys, and I made the mistake of assuming you'd be interested in my trade. Why don't you come up with something you'd like to learn and I'll see if I can't teach you that. I'll still be making sure you can survive, so don't be slacking off there."
    To improve his sneaking ability, Lim will start to hide copper coins around the ship, more as markers of where a good hiding spot would be. He tells Mik to look out from these spots, notice what makes them good, and how he can find others like it in the future. In total, Lim hides 10 copper pieces around the ship, and gives Mik 10 days to find them all, as a bonus he gets to keep any that he finds. If he hasn't found any as the deadline approaches, Lim will go with him to show where they were hidden, and give him a rundown of why they were there, and how to find these spots.

Hearing the news of a ship running out of rations twice strikes Lim as a simple lack of discipline. Though that doesn't seem to be a matter for him to be concerned with, that's the Captain's worry.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Responses

While finding space to practice with bows and arrows is not an easy task, Geršr is permitted to train the younger ones in the cargo hold granted there are no accidents. It's slow going, as both of the Halfdansget boys are very young and much more interested in playing games than playing soldier. Sóley stays true to her word and happily takes her sister's training to heart. Occasionally the halfling boy, Mik Donsget, stops by and he proves to be somewhat talented with a short bow. He doesn't stay too long, and is often pulled away by the younger boys for stories or games.

Lim's training of Mik isn't as fruitful as the elder would like, but then it's only been a week at sea. Ostensibly, he has the rest of his life to truly learn what's being taught. After a couple days, Mik returns two copper coins to Lim to show him how many he's found and chooses to talk a bit more about what he actually wants. He reveals that he doesn't care much for the merchant work he was being taught, but he was always fond of the guards. A good fighter seemed so much better than being a good merchant. Maybe if he became a great fighter his family's name would become Miksget. That seems to be his ambition thus far. But the boy's young, and there's plenty of time for him to grow up and have his dreams crushed.

Chronicled Timeline
    Mid-Summer, 479

10th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    The fleet makes its way into the waterways between islands. The formation bunches up in places and the pace is slow and deliberate. Thus far there's no engagement from the islanders themselves. Scouts have reported plenty of movement along the coasts, though. The fleet continues through the night, albeit slower. The Iron Bear was ordered to supply Moll's Whisper with enough food for five days. They complied but morale dropped predictably.

11th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    A pair of ships along the left flank of the formation get too close to an island and spears are tossed from an abutted cliff, striking the deck. While a man or two may have been hit, no casualties were reported and return fire dissuaded the islanders. The fleet continues through the night, and the right flank fend off a small raid from the islanders there.

12th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    The mid-summer winds have picked up and clouds blanket the sky. Many old sailors and captains expect a storm. The pace is increased through the narrowing waterways and the formation all but falls away. Ships with fighting men have been ordered to attack preemptively to any possible interference from the islanders and even those on Crimson Dog end up shooting at coastline fighters. As dusk approaches the sentries call out an end to the islands ahead. The ships continue into the night. Many people are too restless to sleep.

13th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    The storm hit in the morning hours. The rain came in at an angle, seemingly pushing the ships forwards with the winds. Visibility dropped to a couple hundred feet. Then a hundred. Then fifty. Soon one ship lost sight of the next ship over. It's a nightmare for a navigator, as Lim can attest. With all three of Crimson Dog's navigators working hard, though, they manage to skirt the southern edge of the Teeth. Lines are tossed to short ships to keep them close and off the rocks. More than a dozen times Captain Bloodmane has to take the wheel and guide the large ship around another sailing vessel in the deafening winds. Commands are useless and orders are lost. It's chaotic, dangerous, and worst of all: crowded.

Below decks it's wild and lurching mess of sickness, loose supplies, loose bodies and crying. Lanterns get knocked out and candles last seconds, if that. Darkness and fear and confusion permeate the mass of civilians on board and fighters with much less experience at sea.

What do you do in this Storm that seems to never end?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

After returning with two coins, Lim takes Mik around and shows him the rest, hoping he'll learn more from sight rather than trial and error.
    The boy's requests haven't fallen on deaf ears though, as Lim assures him fighting is one of the things he can teach. Starting off with a dagger sized piece of wood, Lim begins teaching the basics of blade work. If the boy seems stronger than he is quick, Lim will adapt the training to suit Mik's strengths.

Unfortunately, he isn't able to get far into the training as a storm hits and Lim is pulled away to work with the other navigators.
    Having been in plenty of storms before, Lim doesn't seem to get as sick as the rest, though he definitely isn't enjoying the crashing around.
    If he notices, he'll keep people out of the way of the working crew, but mainly Lim will try to focus on helping navigate the Crimson Dog through the rough seas.

15. - Top - End - #165

Kįra's unease grows over the next few days; threat of islander attack and impending storms, on top of lowering morale throughout the ships, make it difficult to get good rest. Her work on her music slows and falters. She continues to play for the crew and refugees, but her ability to compose has for the time being stopped. News of Moll's Whisper over-eating does nothing to alleviate her worsening spirits.

When the storm first hits Kįra does what she can to help above decks. As it worsens, however, her lack of sailing expertise becomes evident, and she heads below decks to stay out of the sailors' ways. Below decks Kįra helps to secure belongings and cargo. As conditions continue to worsen, she finally decides to pull out her lyre. She finds a nook to brace herself in, then begins to play and sing as loudly as she can, practically bellowing to be heard over the howl of the storm. She performs the oldest, most popular of sea chanties, hoping to calm the rest of the passengers and take their minds off the storm, if only a little.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

A performance check is called for, I think.

Perform - (1d20+6)[11]

Individual Lyre and Voice rolls, if need be:
    Lyre - (1d20+6)[13]
    Voice - (1d20+6)[20] (I've added Charisma to these; if it's not applicable subtract 3 from the results.)

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Geršr spends most of her time with the captain during the storm, trying to help plot a course through the wind and the rain. Whenever necessary, she lends her bow to the efforts to repel islander attacks, and she instructs her mother not to let Sóley abovedecks. "She's not trained enough yet, and I don't want anything happening to her," she had said.

Show
    Rolling with cartographer's tools to help plot the course

(1d20+3)[4] See Lucky reroll here
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2016-09-14 at 12:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Responses

Lim doesn't have much time at all to continue training Mik as he's quickly pulled into duty. However, over the course of an entire day and night of the storm, the other navigators have begun looking to him for guidance. Kįra does an admirable job keeping the calm below decks and for most of the day the songs are wailing out to those working above as well. Quite often she has a chorus of over a dozen people lending their voices to the song in order to keep their minds from the storm outside. Whether this affects the sailors' spirits above decks, she can't tell. Geršr's mother swears to keep Sóley safe as her elder daughter practically becomes an assistant to the Captain. For the day and night that the storm rages, Geršr is at Bloodmane's side, and when she isn't the crew look to her for secondhand orders, trusting her readings.

Chronicled Timeline
    Mid-Summer, 479

14th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    The storm continues through the night and well into the next day. Progress is sluggish, but constant. Many people are dropping from exhaustion and meals are handed out wet and cold. It's a low day for spirits but they aren't as low as they could be. The Crimson Dog is still afloat and none of her crew have been lost. Contact is made with Tora's Heart and Captain Hansul Dorinsget. They're lagging a bit and so Crimson Dog takes the forefront of what's left of the fleet. It's a long day, and as it turns to darkness, the storm abates. A count is made, but the results are withheld until morning.

15th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    In the morning another count is made and the results are disheartening. Of the sailing ships, The Iron Bear, The Riverson, Barl's Silver, and The Bluewood are missing. As well as fourteen raider-filled short ships, nine well balanced civilian short ships, and eleven overfull short ships. Those remaining are: Crimson Dog, Tora's Heart, Waterhawk, The Flying Adder, Sea Stag, Maidenoak, The Golden Egg, and Moll's Whisper. As well as twenty raider-filled short ships and forty six civilian ships, fifteen of which are overfilled with people.

Damage reports have been filtering in, as well. Most ships seem fine and when healers are needed they are rowed over quickly. Lim has to tend to a woman with a head wound on one of the short ships, but he's sure she'll make it. Moll's Whisper has a couple small leaks and they're being dealt with. The people aboard are clamoring for placement on other ships, and rumors fly that they want a pair of sailing ships and to force good sailors to double up on the leaky vessel. They're also out of food again, and have been for two days. Maidenoak and The Golden Egg are commanded to donate some of their excessive supplies. It's rumored they each refused, but then Captain Dorinsget paid each a visit and soon Moll's Whisper had nothing to complain about, foodwise. But more often than not sailors only ever mention the ship when accompanied by a sneer of disrespect. No one's happy about it and morale is easily the highest on Crimson Dog. Sailing continues westward in a large canal between Teeth on the south and north horizons.

16th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    The Sea Stag sends around a short ship with a pair of kennel masters and the pack of dogs in an attempt to boost morale. They're decent hunting dogs but the litter's barely a year old. Many sailors, raiders, and civilians get a teary smile or two from the six "puppies".
    Last edited by MintyNinja; 2016-09-14 at 01:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Well, missing doesn't mean gone...

Lim tries to keep his spirits up by focusing on things around him, but first and foremost he takes a very, very long rest after taking the role of lead navigator through the storm.

Once he's roused to get back to work, Lim is thankful for Kįra's music. Always something nice about hearing a familiar tune.

Getting back into the swing of things, picking up where he left off before the storm, Lim is happy for the distraction of the puppies coming aboard.
    He's sure the kids will rush in first, so he waits near the back until there's an open moment and offers one of the pups a scrap of meat.

19. - Top - End - #169

With the storm past, Kįra's mood seems to stabilize. Her voice is a little sore after belting out tunes for hours on end, but she feels better for the experience. News of the missing ships is predictable, but still a blow, and Moll's Whisper's constant over-eating doesn't help her feel any better. However, she shunts off the feelings of despair, and does her best to help about the ship with minor maintenance and continued song playing when there isn't any labour to be done. The puppies are a glimmer of light when they arrive, and perhaps, Kįra feels, a promise of the new life awaiting them.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Responses

Morale on the Crimson Dog isn't high, but it's reportedly higher than most other ships in the fleet and so the dogs are only here a short time until brought around to more needed destinations. Lim and Kįra's work sets an example among the other raiders on board and about a dozen of them start following your lead in doing minor tasks for the sailors and other crew on board. This leads to a swell of camaraderie among the crew and Captain Bloodmane makes a point of thanking each of you privately. It seems her own spirits are lifted with the crew's and all three of you start to see glimmers of the woman behind the title. She's proud, but of her ship and crew over herself. She's strict, but not unfair. She's motherly and fatherly to a large crew of rough and tumble folks, and is a pro at balancing her captaincy with being a part of the crew. Moreover, she seems to be drinking less in these trying times.

Chronicled Timeline
    Mid-Summer, 479

17th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    The fleet continues to sail westward. Those that lagged behind in hopes of finding survivors of the storm to be just tardy have returned empty handed. When the winds die down, the oars come out and progress continues steadily. By nightfall there's an opening in the Teeth to the south. Short ships are set at it's edges with lanterns to help guide the rest of the fleet through. That night is a night of celebration because for the first time in known history, Vanstermen are outside of the Teeth!

20th Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    Geršr determines that if the markings on the maps are accurate then at this point the fleet has reentered the map. There's a new rumor that Moll's Whisper and the two merchant ships have been in communication more often over the last couple days. They might be planning something or just complaining to the only people who'll listen.

23rd Day After Vansterrock Exodus
    The Crimson Dog is at the head of the fleet as a sickness wracks several other ships including Tora's Heart. The scout up the mast calls down a call no one's heard in weeks: "Ship Approaching!" Many of the crew gather at the prow to get a glimpse and after a few minutes they, too, can make out a vessel approaching from the east. It's just past midday and the sun's high to the south west, there's a chance the fleet hasn't been seen yet, but there's no way they can get away unnoticed. Captain Bloodmane makes the call, "Jenner! Take a crew over and investigate. Take a trio of fighting short ships, too." She hands the large man a pair of cloth flags. "Red for conquered, white for peaceful. I'll bring the fleet around one way or another."

"Aye," the big man says thoughtfully. "Lim, Geršr, Kįra: you're with me. Beck, take a ride with another ship in case we need the back up, but don't go killin' anyone before it's time." As you ready yourselves you see your old shipmates, Merrick and Sera are already in the short ship ready to go.

Show
    This is going to go whichever way you three point it. You want to negotiate or talk terms of peace? Alright, we'll do that. You want to let loose at the earliest convenience and take another ship? Gotcha. Just be prepared to follow through on your plans. I'll let you post to catch up and my next post will be the arrival at the stranger up ahead.
    Last edited by MintyNinja; 2016-09-20 at 11:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

"A ship out here?" Geršr mutters as the party boards their shortship. She looks up at Jenner. "If they're fully crewed, I'm not keen on a fight. But I've also had my fill of talking back at the Rock. Whatever you say goes, but I'm ready to put an arrow in a belly the moment parley starts breaking down."

Inside, Geršr is secretly glad to have a reason to leave the Crimson Dog, even if momentarily. She holds Captain Bloodmane with great respect, but can't shake the association between boarding that ship for her first raid and the destruction of her home - and her father's death. She holds back some tears at the thought. The change of immediate scenery, however minimal, will do. It'll give something concrete to do. She likes maps, but she just gets them - trying to think about them too hard like she does in navigation hurts her head and leaves her drained. Geršr is much more comfortable putting her hunting skills to use. With landfall a long way away, this is a perfect opportunity to slip, however temporarily, into enjoyable work. As long as there's not too much talking.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Hey! Alright, yeah! I'm in, lets go!"

Almost bouncing with excitement, the old halfling seems much younger as the prospect of doing something, anything really, other than more ship work gets floated over to him.
    Lim straps up, ready for a fight, or aid, whichever's needed.

Once they're on the boat and away from the Crimson Dog, Lim looks around to the smaller crew and asks

"So, what's the plan? Take a ship and figure out the overcrowding issue? See what they've got on board?"

Catching himself before he gets too worked up thinking of combat, Lim changes gears.

"I've got my healing kit in case they're in need of help, maybe they're one of the lost ships?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jenner stows the flags beneath his seat at the stern of the short ship as the three of you and Sera start rowing, backs to the front. Merrick kneels ready at the prow, occasionally passing a nod to the other short ships as the four vessels make their way to their target in the east. "I don't know, yet. Be ready for either, and be free with your words. If the Captain trusts your judgement then I wanna hear it, too. As for the ship, she ain't one of ours. See there? Two shorter masts instead of the one. One in the front and one in the back... must be tossed around like a feather in a bad squall." Everyone that takes a glance behind them notices that the short ship's making great time and that you can see the larger vessel much more clearly.

As Jenner says, it has two masts, one to the fore and one to the aft. There's a large cabin directly in the center of the ship and a multitude of ropes and lines zigzagging between it and the masts. A large beam seems to be lying flat on the roof of the cabin, but there's no idea what it's used for. [Int Check for some insight.]. There's also something off about the hull, it's shaped wider and lower than any other ship you've seen. The front prow is somewhat flat and there's absolutely no figure head.

"Alright, Merrick, set a dock gull pattern," Jenner called to the blond man at the front of the short ship. Making a circling motion with his hand, Merrick passed the command along to the other three ships as they neared the foreign vessel. Jenner has you rowers slow for a moment to allow the others to get into position and soon the large vessel's forward movement slows to a polite crawl. As your short ship approaches the side a rope ladder is thrown over. "Sera, Merrick, keep the boat floating long enough for us to get back. If it doesn't work out, get back to Bloodmane. She'll take you in if I fall." And with that the large hairy man you know as Jenner Longclaw climbed the rope ladder, onto the deck of a foreign ship.

Once you follow him up the ladder, you find yourselves in the center of attention up against the railing of a wide deck. Jenner's there with you, one hand holding his halberd point down and the other held up and open to the foreigners. They, on the other hand have a semi-circle of bright white swords held lightly in your direction. Each of the sailors seems to be male, but none of them have beards so it's a bit hard to tell in a case or two. There doesn't seem to be any halflings among them, and a few are whispering to each other as they glance at Lim and Geršr. Their clothing seems to be over supplied with extra straps and bright buckles. From their black boots, to their long pants and wide brim hats, each man's buckles seem uniformly polished. While the men with swords have silver buckles, a quick glance at a sailor farther off shows a coppery color and much less ornate clothing.

A man calls out from behind the rank of swordsmen and they make space for him to join the array. He's incredibly overdressed for the weather in black boots, black pants, a long black jacket with gold colored trim and nearly two dozen various buckles, all shining a bright gold. He says something again, this time pointing at the spear that Jenner has slung over his shoulder.

Show
    Everyone give me a Perception Check. If you want to give me an additional check to learn something specific explain how it applies and roll it in your response.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Spoiler: Int Check for insight
    Show
    (1d20+1)[21]

Lim takes his best guess as to what the beam might be, but cautions that it's most likely just that, a guess.

Spoiler: Perception check
    Show
    (1d20+8)[19]

Seeing the strange weapons and clothing of these people, Lim feels more uneasy aboard their ship than during any raid he's joined.
    He follows Jenner's lead though and has his sword drawn, but pointed down. His other hand held in a similar fashion, palm out, non-threatening.

If any of the foreigners come closer to Lim in a threatening way, Lim will raise his sword and motion for them to move back.
    Spoiler: Intimidation
    Show
    (1d20+6)[21]
    "One more step and you wont have a hand to hold that sword with."

This is only if they attempt to threaten or intimidate Lim, if it's a more friendly encounter, Lim wont put his sword away, but also wont threaten them.

25. - Top - End - #175

Kįra takes note of the shape of the hull of the low-prowed ship as they approach, wondering to herself as to the purpose of such a design. Surely such a shape would compromise its sea-worthiness? Not being an expert on such things, she could only wonder. Kįra then follows Jenner over the railing of the ship, then stands a step behind him. She keeps a hand ready to clear her scabbard at the first sign of violence, but otherwise does her best to strike a non-threatening pose.

Spoiler: Int Check on Beam
    Show

Int - (1d20)[12] For any idea as to the purpose of the beam atop the cabin.

Kįra waits and watches carefully, taking note of the bright blades of the swordsmen, and their elaborate, black garb. She rifles through descriptions of non-vanster people in her head for any scrap of knowledge that fits.

Spoiler: History
    Show

History - (1d20+3)[17] A history check for any stories or accounts of peoples with similar attire.

Waiting for Jenner's lead, she quickly scans the deck once more, trying her best to take in as much detail as possible. Out of the corner of her mouth, she quietly asks Lim, "You ever see metal like those swords before?"

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

Perception - (1d20+3)[10]
    Last edited by Woggle; 2016-09-23 at 05:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Int Check for beam
    Show
    (1d20)[13]

Geršr tries to understand the purpose of the strange beam and ship design.

She looks at these strange humans with not quite as much curiosity as they seem to be looking at her and Lim. Like they'd never seen a halfling before, as preposterous a thought as that was. But then again, being able to get beyond the teeth was preposterous not so long ago. She watches them carefully, trying to discern what might be causing those stares.

Spoiler: Insight to determine why they might be staring at the halflings in particular
    Show
    (1d20)[13]

As soon as she's had the chance to start speculating about that, one of the strangers presses forward with a spear. Geršr's hands start sliding into position, ready to draw and fire as soon as necessary. She watches the crowd warily.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+3)[18]

"I don't think I like the way this is starting," she mutters.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kįra and Geršr can't seem to figure out what the beam could be used for, but Lim realizes that with some wheels and ropes it could probably be used to lift and move cargo. Sure enough, there's portions of the deck that look like they open up into a cargo bay. Also, Geršr realizes that the strangers don't seem to be reacting to the mere presence of halflings, but halflings that seem so similarly garbed and geared as the humans in their group. Kįra, try as she might, can't think of a single sailor tale mentioning attire this strange. The only peoples the Vanstermen came across were the islanders, and then only the ones on the eastern islands.

While Kįra is busy asking Lim the question of the swords' makeup, she misses what the halflings both catch. The apparent leader in gold buckles and the only one wearing a full, long jacket is pointing not at Jenner, but at the red stone tip of the islander spear he has slung over his shoulder. Jenner, meanwhile, doesn't seem to get the hint and he steps forward cautiously. "Yeah? Me?" he points at his chest. To the three of you he asks over his shoulder, "Keep an eye out for archers. I think they're singling me out for something." As he steps forward the silver-buckled men all redirect their swords towards Jenner. There's twelve of them, but it doesn't seem like any are wearing armor of any sort.

For his part, the gold-buckled man again points at the spearhead over Jenner's shoulder, saying the same word over again: Rejjkral. It's a strange sounding word to you all, it could be a name, a designation... it could be anything. It's hard to tell, though, and it looks like he's losing his patience.

Show
    I'll stop here for now, give you all a chance to respond or react or preempt, as the case may be.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Geršr readies her bow, waiting for the situation to blow up. These people are confused by her and Lim, and if they're confused by halflings dressed like humans... "Lim, I don't think they've ever seen halflings before. I reckon they think we're children. Human children."

She watches as Jenner steps forward, noticing how all eyes focus on the spear. "Jenner, they're eyeing the islander spear," she says. "They seem confused by Lim and me. It might throw them off if one of us halflings takes charge? Either way, do something about that speartip - they're focused on it."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Shifting focus to the weapons, Lim admits he can't place the material.

"Can't say I have, might be worth grabbing something to check it out."

Once he put together what the ship is for, Lim passes on his best guess.

"Hold up, this might be a cargo ship, I don't think these are raiders."

Lim takes a second to look at the strangers after hearing Geršr's comment. He stifles a laugh. Oh this ought to be good

Putting his sword away, Lim holds his hands up and walks up to Jenner.

"Stop me if this goes badly eh? Jenner, mind if I grab this?

Lim reaches for the spear, and if Jenner nods but doesn't move he'll hop up the larger man to pull it out of his backpack.
    Then, holding it point down, he'll point at it while looking at the gold-buckled man who Lim assumes is the captain.

"You want this? What'd you call it? Rejkrall? Gotta speak up man. (Intentional misspelling, probably mispronounced it)

Staying in a non-threatening a position, he hold out the spear handle first towards the man, making sure the point isn't aimed directly towards himself either.

Spoiler: Persuasion to stay calm
    Show
    Persuasion roll: (1d20+6)[26]

30. - Top - End - #180

Kįra watches warily for signs of aggression amongst the stranger crew. Not realizing the focus on the spear, she instead concentrates on keeping an eye out, and moves her hands from her sides, holding them forward at waist height, palms open.

"Maybe they're traders or some sort. It would explain that lifting beam, if it is indeed what it's for."

Unsure of what else to do, she waits for Jenner's lead. She keeps her eyes peeled for any sudden movement.