New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

Harold Betruger
    Harold returns his gaze from the ceiling.
    "I imagine it's been a financial burden, shouldering the cost of the theater all this time without being able to run any shows, am I right?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Gortana nods. "Y-yes...but...well..." He sighs. "I have not been successful once I came to possess The Silver Arch. I have no truly experienced actors, as I'm sure you've noticed." He hangs his head low. "They all left, after my father passed on. I've been hiring whoever I could find, with but a shred of talent. But, it's not enough. The Silver Arch is no longer the prestigious theatre it once was...people do not care to come here, anymore. Then, when that disturbance closing down the theatre...it really hit us hard. Before then, we still had a little business, but now?" he shakes his head.

"I-I would pay you better, if I truly could. Perhaps, if you grant me some more time, I could..." He loses his voice, and stands defeated.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-01-13 at 05:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flare

Flare inclines his head slightly. You don't need to worry about it, Mister Gortana. I think we can take your word for it if you say that you'll pay us when you can. Isn't that right everyone? He offers his hand to the plump man.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Harold
    Harold nods sagely.
    "I know how it is. But what I was going to ask, was to borrow a few costumes for a week or so. Would that be all right?"

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Gortana takes the offered hand. "Yes, of course." Len seems satisfied enough, but Fargrim seems a bit frustrated. However, he voices no opinion.

Gortana then turns to Harold. "Certainly. Would you like me to bring you to our wardrobe?"

Claudius makes no objections, willing to stay until you've finished business here. However, his orcish companion seems a bit bored, standing around.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold looks over.
    "I shouldn't keep our honored guest waiting. Will you be around later today, by chance? Or can I come by then?"

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Gortana nods. "We'll remain open until 7pm tonight, and I'll be here all that time, as I've a lot to do around here, today. Try to come by before we close. If that's no good, you can always come back tomorrow."

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold nods, graciously, and sweeps back a curl of his gingerish hair with a finger.
    "Now, sir," he says, turning back to the waiting noble,
    "I am at your disposal."

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

With a smile, Claudius nods to Harold. He glances to Gortana, and bids him farewell, as he strolls towards the exit. "An enjoyable performance, my good friend. I'll be back again soon enough, to see more of your fine productions."

Claudius leads you back into the streets, and navigates through them with ease. He walks gracefully beside his lumbering companion, with a cane supporting his every step. As you move along your way, he calls back to Harold and Flare, with a curious tone in his voice. "So, you expected Mister Gortana to pay you a sum in coin, yes? I imagine you are disappointed. Do you often solve mysteries for poor theatre houses, or do you simply take a job where you can find one? If you are interested..." He pauses, turns around, and glances to each member of your party. "...I might be able to satiate your needs of a proper payment in gold. That is, if you assist me with a few dilemmas of my own." He smiles softly as he awaits an answer.

10. - Top - End - #580

Flare

Flare shrugs. I think I speak for all of us when I say that we're listening.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold smiles, and reaches his arm around Claudius' shoulder.
    "You know," he says, sweeping his other arm expansively, "I knew that our meeting today couldn't be just a coincidence; The moment I saw you in that theater, I said to myself, 'now here, Harold, is the very agent of Fate! Good things will come from this meeting.' and now I see I was right! Go on, sir; We are all ears."

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Claudius grins, and then looks to Schorbuck, the halfling. "Have you any objections with working with this band, sir? Good help is hard to find - and I would imagine you'd enjoy having more than just my large friend here to talk with." He gestures to the orc, who frowns. "What's a matter, Badda? Did I offend you?" He grumbles, saying nothing intelligible. "See? Not much of a conversationalist."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Barbarian in the Playground

Schorbuk

Looking a tiny bit disappointed at Claudius' dismissive treatment of Badda, he smiles at the orc and says, [orcish]"Never mind him, Badda. I'm sure you have all sorts of intriguing stories, no? Sometime we'll have some Gublik, the good kind, with the beetle, and swap some of those memories, eh? Right."[/orcish]

As he turns to regard those behind him, a surreptitious wink is tossed at Claudius to deflate any offense the elf might have taken.

"As long as it doesn't involve sewers or fat women, I think I can say I'd be more than happy to join in." He smiles oddly at his own references, but doesn't elaborate.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Claudius smiles. "Good, good, let's be off!"

After a short walk, you reach one of the stone wall boundaries that block-off the noble's quarter. There's even a portcolis here, with a guard stationed on either side. "Good day, gentlemen! These are all my company - so forgive their entry, won't you?" The guards nod, and Claudius turns back to you. "Unless you happen to own an estate, you'll normally not be able to get through here. Though, proof of employment under a lord will grant you access, as will a bit of coin..." He grins, and then leads you inward.

The noble's quarter is much cleaner than most areas of the city. It is as well-kept and guarded as the Lawmaker's Way, but here you find much more modern architecture. While the courthouses and offices are all constructed with ancient asthetics, the estates here all hold various structural influences from both Elven lands and Guilder, which can only be described as "victorian" (a term whose origins seems to have been forgotten).

Before long, you arrive at the gates of a distinctly rich looking home, and Claudius turns to Badda. "Have you the keys, Badda?" The orc nods, and unlocks the gate, permitting your entrance.

The large twin doors concealing the inside are too opened by the orcish fellow - his great strength makes it look easy. Once inside, you find ivory walls adorned with exquisite paintings, and other examples of fine art. There is a grand staircase, run with a red carpet that stretches down the full length. Claudius is then greeted by a butler, whom he first dismisses, but then calls back again. "Tell the maid to bring me and my guests some tea. We'll be in my study." He looks back to you. "Come, this way." He leads you up the stairwell, and into a room to the side. Len seems to be shocked by the look of the house, and treads along as slow as she can, in awe. Fargrim, while impressed, seems more business-minded, pulling her along as you enter into the study.

There is an arching fireplace, some fine wooden chairs, a small, round table, and plenty of bookcases that span the room. Upon the table is an untitled book with a red ribbon keeping a place, an inkwell and pen are beside it. Above the fireplace is what appears to be a family crest - some design of a mighty tree atop a hill. The room has a pleasant scent, eminating from a well-kept floor, suggesting it may have been recently cleaned. Claudius breaths the scent in as he looks away, out a window, viewing over a small square.

After soaking in the bright rays that shine through, Claudius eventually turns back to you, arms behind his back. "How many of you have been outside Porto Giedion in the last month?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-11-20 at 01:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Examining the paintings and the architecture with an interested eye, Harold whistles appreciatively at Caludius's estate.
    "I'm amazed, sir! What a fantastic manse you have...But to answer your question, no I haven't. Not much out there that really interested me, to be honest. It's in the cities that you'll find the best art, the best company, and the greatest opportunities."

16. - Top - End - #586

Flare

Flare mostly ignores the others on their way to the mansion, and once inside. He looks around neither with fascination nor boredom, merely a tangible curiousity.

I have, he offers in reponse to Claudius' question. He's giving him a strange look.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Neither Len nor Fargrim answer, and Claudius does not await a reply from the halfling.

"Ah. I see." He gives a weak smile. "I admit I have not left Porto Giedion in some time. It's in civilized lands I am most content - here we do have many luxuries, but are also well-protected. I'm afraid, those living in the country and the wild are subject to much banditry - a rather unfortunate thing, no? But, those who live outside the city walls are not the only ones to suffer. Ask any merchant here in Porto Giedion - they too have felt the impact of the lawlessness of the outside. Thieves have run rampant and now prey upon trading caravans, both at land and sea. In concern of the future of my wealth, I have begun looking to better methods to secure it."

A maid enters, setting down a tray with several cups, set onto tiny plates, and a tea kettle. Claudius invites you to partake, and the maid is dismissed promptly.

"I need to claim some paperwork from a man who lives outside the city, so that I may conclude an important business transaction, that may settle my dilemma. It is not a long journey, maybe four days to be there and back. But with brigands about, the way is sure to be dangerous, and thus I cannot send my man alone. If you would protect this man and the documents he would carry, I would be greatly indebted to you. How much for your services? Would you name a fee?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-11-21 at 01:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588

Schorbuk

Schorbuk wasn't offended at Claudius' impatience to get down to business. He'd already provided him with enough information on his arrival in this city to know the answer, without asking.

Being one for much stouter drink, Schorbuk nevertheless, avails himself of some tea, perhaps to wash away the lingering taste of 'Wall' and company.

"Bandits, corsairs, they're all the same. No surprise the routes on land as well as sea are infested with their kind. As much as I might grow to like this city, I'm more than happy to spread out my acclimation by leaving it; you know, to gain perspective and all that." He glanced at the others whom he'd obviously be working alongside, wondering to himself if he could even properly assess a straight wage for such services in this case. Being so used to having his pay received as a fragment of a whole, with some reserved for food, some for private supplies, some won or lost through games of chance to pass the time, some for this or that, he wasn't sure and with nearly empty pockets, would rather not sell himself short.

One solution, then.

"You've obviously had some time in the city; become familiar with its economy and such. What say you on the topic of fees for something like this?" he asks of Flare, Harold and whoever else of them cared to voice a more educated offer.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    The slim young minstrel nods carefully to himself.
    "Well," he says, steepling his fingers together, "Our situation is a unique one. Between the four of us, we have a rather sizable remittance that needs addressing within the next two weeks or so. The deadline is one exactly as flexible as our necks, if you take my meaning. We were hoping that Mr. Gortana would be crossing our palms with rather a different sort of silver," He reaches into his breast pocket and pulls out the embossed ticket, waving it in the air sardonically.
    "So we're behind schedule. These are our own burdens of course, but it may help you to assess my state of mind as I consider your offer."

20. - Top - End - #590

Flare

Flare watches Claudius with a curious intensity. I'm not used to doing voyages on foot, truth be told. Where does this man live exactly?

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Claudius seems sympathetic once Harold reveals the situation of the four. "Debtors, I see...they can be harsh. I don't know if whether or not this task is work enough to pay off whatever you may owe..." He ponders for a moment. "But, perhaps if you'll do this for me, I can find you more work and continue to pay you until you're even."

He then addresses Flare's question. "He lives in a town formed around a mining camp, due north of here. You'll have to cross through Ibiran Forest to get there, though. I'm not sure if you've been there before, but it's a fairly thick wood - thankfully, it's a bit sparse this far east, and you'll not have to worry about venturing deep into it. Once you clear it, you'll likely see the mountain ranges in the distance, and no doubt be upon the town within a day. The man I would have you protect knows the way, so you needn't worry about getting lost."

"Now," He clasps his hands. "What is your desired amount? Fifty gold each? A hundred?"

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Mentally, Harold whistles over the sum.
    Good wages for a courier on a four day trip. Must be important, then.
    Outwardly, however, he adopts a solemn face.
    "Your offer is quite generous, m'lord, but I'm afraid that you may be underestimating our remittance. I'll offer our services for the sum of 200 gold pieces each for this trip, to be paid upon our arrival back, with the promise of retaining us on a regular basis subsequently.
    He pauses a moment to gauge Claudius' reaction, then continues, with a sigh.
    The fact is, we must raise six thousand gold pieces in total before the end of the month." He traces the rim of the teacup with a long, elegant finger absently as he speaks.
    "To be honest, it's more money than I think I've ever seen in my life before. But still...'where there's a will', and all that."
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-11-22 at 07:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

While Len scratches her head at Harold's words, Fargrim tries to hide his disapproval. Claudius, on the other hand, seems a bit amused.

"200? You must have rare ability, if that's the amount of coin you need to make this worth your while. Or, maybe you're getting desperate, and and trying to fool me into agreeing upon absurd terms!" He grins. "I've heard Schorbuk is worthy of good pay..." He gestures to the Halfling "...but, unfortunately, I cannot put up so much money when I know little of your skill, and when I have many other matters to attend to with my wealth. Would you accept 140? I know of no others willing to pay so much for such a simple task. Besides, I'll have plenty of more work for you - if I am pleased with your efforts, maybe I just might throw in a *bonus*. You might be able to pay off your...large debt, and still make a fair amount on the side." He smiles.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-11-22 at 09:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold stares at the teacup as Claudius speaks. As the noble finishes his offer, Harold nods to himself.
    about right.
    Aloud, however, he adopts a brave smile.
    "Thank you, m'lord. I believe that if my companions" he gestures to the others "are amenable, then we are ready to be of service." The minstrel smiles once more, and raises his teacup in a toast.
    "And I think you'll find our abilities up to the sum. Tell us more about this errand, if you please!"

25. - Top - End - #595

Flare

Flare shrugs. I don't know if we really have to make six-thousand. It's sort of a funny story actually. We were all imprisoned and then suddenly released, and then this odd man picked us up and told us that he had bribed our release by paying with someone else's money, and that we'd have to get it back or there'd be assassins after us. Six thousand sure is a lot of money to bribe a few guards. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds. His gaze shifts about nervously. Well, the story isn't really that funny actually.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2007-11-23 at 02:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Claudius scratches his head. "Oh...I...see."

Silence.

His face lights back up as he turns to Harold. "More about the errand? Well, as I said, you'll need to travel through Ibiran Forest - it's an old wood, and certainly has been around long enough to have been the birthplace of a few legends." He shrugs. "You really needn't worry about any spirits or monsters in the wood, however - bandits are the only concern I have, but concern enough to implore you proceed with a cautious haste. Or hasty caution." He laughs at his own words. "Whatever - be quick, and keep your eyes open, and I doubt you'll have much to worry about. I do not think thieves generally attack readily armed men. So, keep your swords close."

He sips some tea. "I'll fetch your charge once you feel you are prepared. Do you have any questions?"

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold winces in the split second it takes for him to realize what Flare is telling Claudius, but then his customary air of detached interest reasserts itself.
    "Ah-ha. Yes, quite. So you have it in mind for us to leave posthaste? Then I suppose what more we need to know can be told along the way, so we do not impose upon you any further."

28. - Top - End - #598

Schorbuk

Looking a bit inflated at Claudius' unexpected compliment, indirect as it was, Schorbuk straightens his gear a bit as if to ignore it.

It seemed things were being set down, finally. He was interested in seeing the region, albeit not necessarily desiring a forest to be the first on the itinerary. Still, it bested sitting around watching poorly-performed plays.

"This seems fairly straightforward. I've done my share where protecting goods and people, are concerned, but there is one thing I like to know about those under my eye: does your man have any ability of his own to protect himself? Or is he merely a lamb with a bag to deliver?"

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Claudius shrugs. "Whenever you're ready - later today, tonight, tomorrow, even. You said you were limited on time, so I was simply going to let you decide when you wanted to leave. If you'd rather sit for a while and enjoy your tea, be my guest."

He looks to Shorbuk. "He can handle a smallsword fairly well, but he's not exactly a warrior. Swordplay is more of a hobby of his, rather than part of his profession. I expect he could hold his own against a single armed man, but highwaymen learn quickly that they are more successful when in numbers - thus the need for protection."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-02-20 at 10:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #600

Schorbuk

A nod acknowledges Claudius' reply, Schorbuk looking reasonably satisfied to hear the messenger could at least do something on his own behalf.

"Well, I'm ready to be on the way as soon as possible," he says bluntly, but offers another question to Claudius: "However, I think it prudent that we all know the expected route. In the event your messenger becomes incapacitated, it might leave us lost somewhere unfamiliar. You said yourself, the path is sure to be dangerous. It's best we plan for the worst, and strive for the best, rather than the other way 'round." The halfling looks pensive for a moment, dragging scratching fingers across an opposite shoulder.

"I suppose this begs the question of whether this messenger is uniquely able to manage this transaction or if you can replace him, if the need arises. I'm not speaking of simply seeing him killed; there are a number of potentialities that could render him unable to conduct his duty for some length of time. Would it be possible for us to act as surrogate in such an event, or would we need to return here to mount another attempt?"

Despite the spectre of failure his questions seemed to carry, Schorbuk looked anything but worried. In fact, he appeared quite confident; the concerns thus merely underlining his desire to be prepared and to ensure the task's success regardless of any reasonable eventuality.