New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

Shimar

Truth to be told, Shimar's a bit disappointed that the second ogre fell without he even getting a chance to fight with the brute. After the entangling roots retreat he goes over to the ogre, and throws the greatclub to the gorge.

He breaths heavily, but his mind clears soon.

Umm, should we try to kill it, or just pass the bridge?

He grips his spear, to strike down the ogre if it wakes up, but he's willing to simply pass the bridge, killing someone in the sleep is not really his trade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ending rage.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So...howsabout freeloading some XP off of Flare and Shimar's talent? I mean, I even got out of the saddle and swung the glaive and everything!

Len frowns, always sad to see a good weapon go to waste. Upon returning to the horses, she falls in besides the paladin until they're within earshot of Harold.

"Titus, sir; did you say that you've met this magistrate before? Would he recognize you if you arrived in town?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club

3. - Top - End - #903

Drahlo looks down to the sleeping creature and says, "Leave him be. One should not be so eager to deal death when there are other options." He sends an obvious glare to Flare as he says the last sentence. He moves to return to his mount. Guha, no longer hearing the sounds of battle, pops out of the satchel to get a look at the aftermath.

4. - Top - End - #904

Flare moves over to the gorge and stares down at it. At Drahlo's comment he suddenly looks up. What option are you suggesting?

Spoiler
    Show
    How far down does the gorge go?
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2008-04-05 at 04:59 PM.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

The gorge is quite a drop down - at least a few hundred feet.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian waits until he believes all has been said on the subject.

Lucian's eyes communicate his dread purpose.

I beg to differ regarding our odiferous opponent here. We should slay him. If he lives, he will only take the lives of others on this path. Things went well for us in this battle, but they could have gone much differently. We're professionals. One shouldn't become squeamish when his job calls him to take action.

We should do what any sensible person would do when he bests a wild beast: put it out of its misery.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Tamale, missed your post!

Titus shakes his head at Len's question. "I have seen him once or twice, and know a bit about him through sources - but he probably knows nothing of me. I do not associate with his kind."

He looks to the sleeping ogre. "I am not fond of these creatures. We cast the first stone here, but I am sure they have only brought suffering to countless other wayfarers, and will continue to do say, as Lucian says. That is what these creatures live to do. I think it right that we end its life." He glances about for the opinions of the others.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold puts away his crossbow and glances at Titus. It was so easy to forget that for all his posturing, the knight was only a man, and still looked to others for guidance. That was good. That was good...
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

9. - Top - End - #909
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh no Len groans inwardly when Lucian speaks up. Not this again.

"'His kind'. I susptected as much." Len sighs belatedly when Titus finishes delivering his two coppers about the ogre, hoping to maybe remove him from the upcoming argument with a change of subject.

"Sir Titus, I've been part of the legal system before, and I know as well as anyone how maddening the bureaucratic inertia can be when you feel that something is wrong." she begins, walking him back toward Harold. "But I can't help but feel that you could almost take this incident behind us as a warning from Faraham to reevaluate the dangers of rushing to hostilities."

"I see."* Len is almost sure this guy had heard it all before and that she's heading in the wrong direction. Hopefully Harold's silver tongue will save things if this doesn't:

"As such, I'd like to reemphasize what was said at the beginning, that the powers that be will stop us from punishing this man until we can win them over with clear evidence that calls for it, which is as it should be; can you imagine what kind of power that the corrupt and deceitful would have if everyone blindly prosecuted the first accusation they heard?"

She lets it sink in. "Investigating is my friend Harold's specialty, and he politely requests that the party refrain from interfering while he and possibly a tactful companion speak with the magistrate at first. If there are no accusations or intruders, then there'll be no reason for the magistrate to conceal his actions even more and continue to evade punishment. Please hear this young man out, I'm sure you'll see why I'd trust him with my daughter's life. Even if the investigation is a total failure, it still gives us a chance to hunt down these undead that are menacing the populace and thereby fulfill our duty to protect."

With that, she lets the chips fall, glad to finally stop pretending she believes this crock of crap. Knock 'em dead, Harold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Purely for aesthetic purposes, becuase I hate infodumps. Edit as desired

10. - Top - End - #910

Shimar

If you insist to slay the ogers, do it yourself. I ain't wanna hear from it anyone that the only way Shimar could kill the ogre is that a magician put it into sleep first. I've got a reputation to keep, you know.

Shimar turns away from the ogre, letting others to the task, if they feel like so. He calls Whisper by his side, and goes over to the bridge, but before stepping on it, he checks the condition of it.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold smiles
    A believer already? I must be better than I thought, even.
    Harold raises a hand in thanks in Len's direction, then begins to speak.
    "The lady is right, of course. I am a professional investigator, among other talents, and our mutual friend has tapped me for my mind and my way with people, not" he gives a perfunctory glance towards the sleeping ogre "for my sword-arm. What I'm suggesting is that I and a small group carry out a low-key investigation of the magistrate: see what may be found out through simple inquiry. In the meantime, the more martially-inclined, led by yourself of course, can at least eliminate some of the zombies and ghouls and goblins terrorizing the landscape."
    The minstrel spreads his hands, smiling
    "So we'll all get a chance to do some good, where our talents take us. What do you think?"

Mentally, he adds
    Bless you, Len; I was starting to wonder if I'd accidentally joined a lynch mob instead of an investigation.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-04-06 at 08:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #912

Flare

Flare inclines his head solemnly and steps over to the ogre. You can do the honors then, Sir Titus. Though I wish it didn't have to end that way. Without any fanfare, he begins walking alongside the gorge. Sorry, but there's something I need to do, so I'm going to have to bow out of this mission. But I expect you all to return safely.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

13. - Top - End - #913

Drahlo seems puzzled by the others' sentiments towards the ogres. "These men made this bridge, and requested payment for their work. And they are slaughtered for this, because they are large and spell of rotting meat?" He frowns deeply at this.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus takes some time to consider all of the things said. He first turns to the bard, and begins speaking slowly. You can notice hesitance for the idea in his voice.

"I know little of your individual abilities - but it is quite clear to me that this is no group of amateurs. I would remind you of the dangers one might face in splitting up, but if you are confident that this approach will work, then I will trust you. After all, if lord Claudius favored sending you with me, you must be exceptional at what you do."

He immediately becomes surprised by Flare's abrupt departure, and calls out to him. "Wait!" he starts to follow, ignoring the ogre. "Claudius had sent you to help us, and now you're leaving? For what?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-04-06 at 05:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    "Oh no. Flare is leaving. Come back, Flare."
    Harold makes little effort to hide his relief.
    "Titus, my friend; I've learned in just a few weeks in Flare's company that you're better off trying to nail fog to a post than trying to stop Flare doing something he wants to do."
    Harold gathers up the reins and glances once more at the sleeping ogre.
    "If he changes his mind, he knows where to find us. Now let's not tarry."

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

"Umm...well..." He takes a moment to consider the situation. "I suppose we still have a larger party than I had originally expected. Though, I would be pleased if he would stay..."

He looks back to the ogres. "Drahlo, do not fall victim to their deception - this bridge was not likely of their making - the ogres only like to claim they create such things so they can pressure people into giving them money. They are mere vagrants." He pauses. "But if you pity him enough to let him live, then perhaps I can too. His companion is already dead - hopefully this one will learn to leave its old ways behind."

He looks to the bridge. "Anyway, are we ready to press onward?"

17. - Top - End - #917
    Dwarf in the Playground

Len slides the hood over the blade of her polearm and then finds her horse. Packing things to her satisfaction, she watches Flare strike off on his own. What an unfortunate deicision.

"Good luck." she waves to the sorcerer as she leads the pony toward the bridge.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian, who has not put away his bow, stands next to the sleeping creature's head. He points his arrow at its eye.

This monster is beneath pity. I will not stand by and allow it to kill or harass travelers in its way. I will do what must be done, even if you don't have the stomach for it.

Lucian releases the bowstring.

Spoiler
    Show
    roll coup de grace

damage (1d6)[6] x3 and sneak attack (1d6)[1]

19. - Top - End - #919
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So close... so close to getting away.

IC: Len jolts at the distinctive snap of an arrow as the prone giant starts violently. Without the time to sigh or say anything snarky, she re-draws the glaive and rushes into position, shoving the point down at its neck. She has hated this fight from the start, but all debate has quite abruptly become moot as the monster thrashes.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20+3)[18]

*draw glaive*
    *get in range (if needed)*
    Lens hears a strange ding in the background, and feels unusually powerful. Did I mention that this is out of the ordinary?

I'm doubting the giant slept through that, but just in caseI can, I'd like to sneak in a CdG if possible. If not:

Attack (1d20+5)[18]
    Damage (1d10+4)[5]
    Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-04-07 at 12:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Initiative

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[24]

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Len finds that her glaive is not needed in keeping down the ogre - the shot that Lucian delivers into its skull is quite enough on its own. It may not be sticking out of the beast's eye, but the arrow is deeply entrenched beneath the surface, and you are sure the ogre will not stand up again.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian steps back and slides his bow into its leather sheath.

The scowl he wore as he killed the creature fades, replaced by a bright smile.
    He turns to Harold.

So, you were saying something about a plan for solving our Magistrate problem? I agree that we should each use our respective skills to the utmost, but if the problem with the walking dead is as serious as Titus believes, then we might be safer as one group.

Perhaps we should see when we get there?

It is as if he had never drawn his bow.

23. - Top - End - #923

Shimar

The big man doesn't even looks there when the group finishes the helpless ogre. He instead watches the leaving Flare. What is this man doing, anyway?

Magicians. Twisted arcane devils... - he mutters some old barbarian wise statement to himself, but no one other than Whisper seems to listen to him.
    Last edited by amanodel; 2008-04-07 at 02:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    "Hmm." Harold nods, thoughtfully. "I could do you an 'envoy of merchants/performers traveling with the Right Honorable Titus and his Traveling brigan- I mean companions.' We go our separate ways once we've reached civilization, and then the more martially-inclined can go hunt for monsters. Those whom I can trust to be more...discreet are welcome to join me for a very tactful fact-finding mission. "

25. - Top - End - #925

Shimar

Finally Shimar overhears what the others are talking about.

Bah! - he grunts - If there are undead, then the quesion is answered, so we go slay the necromacer. If there are no undead, we go to the tavern, drink something, and come back.

He sounds like he prefers simple, straightforward solutions.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Skenardo View Post
    Those whom I can trust to be more...discreet are welcome to join me for a very tactful fact-finding mission. "
    "Especially if that someone can sense enchantments so we can get to the bottom of these necromancy stor--allegations." Len adds, lowering her readied glaive. In light of that and having calmed down about the ogres, she decides that its too bad Flare picked this particular mission to ditch; hopefully recovering that enchanted weapon is worth it.

Once again, she takes her pony by the reins and leads him toward the bridge while Shimar says essentially what Len expected to hear from someone.

"Hey, I thought you were itching for a battle, mister. I was going to make a little wager about who could..." she smirks playfully at Shimar before deliberately trailing off as she steps onto the bridge, toeing carefully at the floorboards.
    Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-04-07 at 10:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #927

Shimar

Hrmpf! - That was all Shimar could say at the moment as he looked back at Len from the bridge. He would like to answer something, but that would sound way too rude to adress a woman with. So instead, he decided to mostly ignore the comment.

28. - Top - End - #928

Drahlo sighs as the arrow is released, but makes no movement to stop the killing blow. He wordlessly returns to his mount and begins crossing the bridge, his expression darker than before.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ah, don't be like that, big guy." Len says entreatingly. "There's no way around the fact that this magistrate is too--"

She pauses, raising an eyebrow at what might have been an ominous creaking sound.

"You know, I really hope this bridge wasn't built by ogres." Len quickens her pace toward the other side.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

The party, minus one

Titus leads you across the old bridge and onto a new path. The road here is less defined, as the grass seems to regrow into a route once worn by the footsteps of travellers. The trees are closer, though those of you who would know the lands note they are not as strange or as mangled-looking as those in old Ibiran Forest.

The sunlight beams strongly through the tree-tops above - some of the leaves have begun to fall, and they collect now at the hooves of your mounts. Occassionally, a slight breeze blows from the east, sending a slight chill down your neck and spine.

After a few hours of travel, you find a lone man on the side of the road, standing beside a horse laying dead on the ground - several arrows have penetrated it mostly sticking out of the side and rear.

The man is of about-average height and weight, with both dark hair and eyes. He has a backpack filled with travelling supplies, and carries a small knife at his belt. He seems quite happy to see you.

"Thank the maker! I thought I was doomed - but I see Faharam has some mercy. Can you help me?" He pleads, stepping closer. "My horse..." he gestures to the fallen animal. "I got lost in the forest, and I was ambushed by goblins! The filthy beasts wounded my horse, and it carried me as far as it could before collapsing. Please, can you do anything to help me? I'm trying to get to Porto Giedion..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen and Spot checks, please

That one that was minus'd

After walking for some time, you eventually reach a point where you can descend to the bottom of the gorge. It's not exactly a smooth path, but with no distractions about you, it merely takes time, rather than any significant exertion or concentration.

You come to a small bed of stones that lays beside a river, flowing at a moderate current. As you walk alongside the river, you eventually find the ogre who fell, his head bashed in on a large rock. You spot the glimmer of the shuriken in the water almost immediately, laying still in the shallow edge of the river.

Spoiler
    Show

"Gggrrggrrgle ggrgle gggrgle."

Also need spot/listen checks
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-04-08 at 08:58 PM.