New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

The guard doesn't seem pleased with Harold's remark. "You leave the damn people here alone! Whatever you think you're doing, you're not helping them!"

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold nods to himself slowly.
    "That's actually quite encouraging, because it suggests someone might think they need help, whereas hitherto all we really had to go on was a bad odor and questionable fashion-sense. Why might someone think the people here need help, do you think, sir?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard quickly hushes up. "I said nothin'. What the blazes do you want from me, anyway? Huh?!"

Titus calls out to those by the guard. "Are you people daft!? We're trying to storm a keep, not have a tea party! He's purposely stalling us! Delay any longer, and we very well could find ourselves in chains, or worse! Onward!" The knight booms, his sword and shield drawn and ready. He approaches the doors, and slams them open.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-06-14 at 01:08 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    The minstrel brushes an invisible speck of dust off his sleeve.
    "So quickly to the punch of things? Well, I guess that's typical. Let me lay things out for you in a straightforward fashion, my anonymous friend;"
    He gestures to Flare.
    "Exhibit 'A.' Flare. A decent man in a fight, but he has a way of treating strangers like No Person of Consequence. He's also very keen on freedom, which means he objects on principle to anything that's put people into a state wherein someone might think they need helping."
    Harold scratches the back of his head.
    "He's been known to take it out on just about any authority figure that presents itself."
    He gestures to Len.
    "Exhibit B: Len. A lovely woman, and good company. However she could pretty easily break your arm in three places in about two seconds, if she felt she had to.
    Exhibit C: His lordship, Sir Titus. He's of the opinion that something truly loathsome is going on around here, and he, believe it or not, can be even more direct that you."

The minstrel turns back to the guard.
    "And then there's me, who is holding no sword in his hand, but is offering to hear why this entire business isn't your fault. I'd like to believe that you're going to tell me the story of a man trapped in a tight spot with no good options."
    Spoiler
    Show

Not really sure which is appropriate here, so I'll give both
    Diplomacy - (1d20+11)[23]
    Intimidate - (1d20+4)[10]
    ...Hey, does Harold look like the kind of person who's used to intimidating people?

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flare

Deciding to leave the matter of the stubborn guard to Harold, Flare spins to Titus, eyes still glowing. Stop it! It's time that I made myself clear. You aren't going with us Titus. We will proceed when we are prepared, and your role will be to remain here and cover us. Are we understood?
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold rubs an eyebrow.
    "See," he says, half to the guard and half to the universe at large, "That's what I'm talking about, right there."

7. - Top - End - #1147

Shimar

For the first time, the barbarian is comfortable with the straightforward actions of the paladin. He follows Titus, and ordering Whisper to his side, he prepares for any sudden attacks, helpding his polearm in one hand, and his throwing axe in another.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

8. - Top - End - #1148

The shirtless orc simply stands and watches. He keeps both keen eye and ear out. He mutters, audibly to anyone who might notice him, "This is all wrong..."

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus seems appalled by Flare's remarks. "Pardon, sirrah?" He nearly hisses the word, his voice filled with contempt. "You are here to aid me - not the other way around. I'm moving forward, with or without you." He turns to the door. "And I'll be sure to let lord Claudius know of your conduct!"

He enters.

The guard stays silent until Titus has left. "I've got nothin' to say to you. Get that fool knight-errant, get back on your horses, don't try barging into anyone else's homes, and get outta here. What you're doing is illegal, and don't think it'll be overlooked if you go any further. Magistrate Thaddeus is a powerful man. Doesn't matter none that you break my bones, or what-have-you. He'll just do the same to you, in the end - maybe worse, if it fits his mood."

Drahlo hears nothing, sees nothing out of the ordinary from where he stands. Moving to where the portcolis would be held, he can spot a few of the hooded figures that Harold noticed earlier - they've come a bit closer, but remain a fair distance off, still.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-06-14 at 11:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1150

Flare

Flare murmurs an enchantment and casts a spell after the departing Titus.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sleep on the @sshole, Will save DC 15.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2008-06-14 at 11:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ho ho! Now things begin to get ever-so-interesting...

After setting only a foot or two inside the keep, Titus is struck into a deep slumber, and collapses onto the floor, face-first. His sword slides across the floor, deeper inside the dark and mysterious hall, a room of which you can see little of from the outside. Some torches do appear to be lit within, but they only seem to illuminate small pockets of the room.

Lucian seems a bit upset. "Did you have to do that?" He asks, as he briskly passes and makes his way to the sleeping knight. He glances around for immediate threats, but things seem clear.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-06-16 at 09:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1152

Flare

Apparently yes, says Flare coldly as he follows the others into the door. We're going to find out what's going on here, and we're going to do it without an egotistical knight getting in the way because he wants to play out the fairy tales in his head. I think it's time to go people.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold nods, solemnly.
    "Yes, because we wouldn't want to be following the lead of a self-righteous impulsive trouble-maker. Nope. Wouldn't want that to happen."
    A pause.
    Harold tilts his head towards the captive guard.
    "What about him? He knows more than he's saying, and if you're serious about investigating...well, we can't just leave him."
    He tilts his head again, now towards the recumbant knight.
    "And what about him? I know that spell; he'll be awake in a few minutes, and none-the-more affable for a bit of sleep, I'd guess."

14. - Top - End - #1154

Flare

Flare keeps walking.

15. - Top - End - #1155

Shimar

The barbarian casts silent dispell magic on the paladin, requiring only somatic components.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kick Titus.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Len, finally having accepted the aborted charge, finally dismounts with a ridiculous clatter from her arsenal. After entrusting her arrows and daggers to Lucian, she watches as the party begins to file inside and handily solves the bound-guard-situation by picking him up and lumbering inside with him ("I can only think of two places to break an arm, for the record.").

In front of her, Flare enforces his objections to Titus' plans of forced entry by silencing the knight with an elegant weave of magic. And then continues said forced entry himself. Whatever, she just keeps walking, intent on getting everything and everyone indoors so they can lock those ...dead outside.

Then Shimar kicks Titus back awake. Oh boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus stirs as Shimar kicks him, eventually waking with some disorientation. "What? What happened?" he asks, looking around. "Sir Titus!" Lucian quickly makes his way beside the Knight, who sits dumbfounded on the floor. "You fell! Are you alright?" Titus nods and Lucian takes his hand to help him up. "You ought to be more careful, my lord!" Titus nods again, and glances about for his sword.

It lays halfway to the opposite side of the room - a large hall, perhaps reaching two-hundred paces to the other wall, with smaller dimensions from side-to-side. There are stone pillars that stand every few feet at either side - each about five times a man's girth in circumference - every-other-one set with a low-lit torch that seems to carry a heatless flame. Nonetheless, the room is of a warm temperature - a bit muggy, perhaps, and filled with a stale air. The stench found outside lingers a bit, here. The stone floor beneath you is black and hard to actually see beyond a few feet from torchlight.

The walls themselves are mostly bare, but there are a few tapestries that depict the keep holding against seiges in glorious battles, and a few that mark the coat of arms of the house - a simple design of three silver chalices laid over a black background (which some might know in Medician culture to represent fortune and wealth). Some seem to be collecting a bit of dust.

While the hall is large, there is little else here. It appears to be a foyer, of sorts, likely designed to impress than serve any other purpose. There is one door to your immediate left, and three more on the opposite end of the room. The two on the left side (one at the near and one at the far end), and the one on the right at the far side are all plain, single wooden doors. Directly opposite from the entrance is a fourth exit, a pair of double doors that match the ones you just entered through.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-06-18 at 12:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ha! The generator part of my wind generator works. Now I just need to make the blades and find some wind.

Len gently lowers the guard off her shoulders and places him against a pillar ("...sit tight"), and then forms a salient with Titus and the other muscleheads.

19. - Top - End - #1159

Shimar

The barbarian doesn't really knows what to do right now, so he just stays idle. But he does that rather self-consciously.

20. - Top - End - #1160

Much like Shimar, Drahlo seems completely out of his element here, awkwardly following along and keeping his eyes open and his ears alert. Guha remains in her satchel, as she has for quite a while now, apparently too frightened to come out.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a scurrying in one of the corners of the room. A small creature, from the sound of it. "Rats." The vermin eludes your sight, hiding in the shadows, continuing to move about. "No doubt, the taint of unholy filth draws them near." says Titus, as he reclaims his sword. "It is customary for strange wizards to keep dark beasts as minions. Keep alert."

Not a moment later, the twin doors before you swing open. From the unknown beyond, a massive figure steps through, shrouded in an unnatural darkness. When its foot connects with the floor, the ground beneath you vibrates. This foot, the only visible part of the creature, is nothing more than a large, black stone block.

It steps through the doorway, hunched over until entirely through. The figure stands easily over nine feet once upright. It appears to be entirely made of stone, in the form of a human, with two hands reaching towards the Knight, its closest target.

"SIEZE...TRESPASSERS..."

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome to You're "Doom" (bonus points to anyone who knows the show)

I think you get the idea of what everything is. Not going to bother with concealment here - it's dark but not that dark.

Rolls thems initiatives. Ands whats yous guys is doings.

Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-06-18 at 05:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1162

Shimar

Behind the pillars, where it can't fit in! - shouts the barbarian, but waits for the others to move first. The thing is massive, and it would be a disadvantage to fight it at the open. He orders Whipser to back away from the moving statue. He

Initiative - (1d20+3)[16]

(May add some actions tomorrow, depeinding on inititaves, and others' action)

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ohhhh...that sucks." Len laments, shifting along with Shimar and D at the sight of the hulking menace. After a longing glance toward the shelter of the pillars, she runs up to Titus before he can get all paladinny and suicidal.

"Sir, this way! Faraham gave us more brains than brawn for a reason" she says breathlessly, tugging on his elbow.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+3)[18]

Actions: *move 2 squares north*
    *if Titus goes along with Len, lead paladin as far behind northwestern pillars as possible*
    *if Titus acts like obstinate jerk, stay behind him and ready glaive attack

Atck: (1d20+5)[13]
    Dmg: [roll][1d10+4]*

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ogre in the Playground

"I tend to agree, my lady." Titus quickly says as he takes a few steps back. He glances to those behind him and begins barking out "What are you waiting for? Get moving, dammit!" He turns back to the golem, holding his sword low and his shield high, continuing to inch his way back as the massive stone creature calls out to you.

"DROP YOUR WEAPONS YOU HAVE THREE SECONDS TO COMPLY."

25. - Top - End - #1165

Drahlo calmly shifts back to wolf form and moves behind a pillar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20=9)

Shifting to wolf form, then moving one south, four west, one north
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-06-20 at 06:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

Initiative Rolls

Flare: (1d20+2)[21] <--Don't have access to sheet, the link I saved doesn't work (error message). Had to guess.

Harold: (1d20+2)[17] <--As with Flare

Titus: (1d20+1)[4]

Lucian (1d20+3)[12]

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    the slim musician blanches as the solid block of stone confronts them, but with marvelous poise, Harold suppresses the gut-wrenching dread threatening to paralyze him.
    Forcing a smile, Harold spreads his hands wide.
    "No weapons in hand, good doorkeeper! But we come here on a grave errand; we've been following a group of assassins headed even now for your master, hiding under a cloak of invisibility! The trespassers are somewhere in the keep, but they can't have gotten far!"
    Although the lie is bold, Harold has to do very little to put the necessary desperation into his voice.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just so you know, this outcome had a 1 in 61 chance of actually occurring

Flare quickly takes a few steps back as the hulking creature marches forward. He seems ready to unleash his arcane power upon it, but hesitates, as he is trying to time his attack.

Meanwhile, Len retreats to the side, and Titus continues to step back. "Move, I said! Move!" he commands, keeping a watchful eye on the stone juggernaut.

Most of the party hesitates, unable to think clearly, paralyzed by fear. However, a stout-hearted Harold steps forward, and attempts the impossible.

It halts.

Taking a moment to scan its surroundings, the stone giant seems to be considering his words.

It stands silently.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-06-22 at 09:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold inwardly experiences the sour, half-sick taste of relief in his mouth, and he presses on,
    "Look," he says, pulling out a tiny mirror on a string and a small hammer from somewhere about his person,
    "I'll prove it! This spell will counteract their invisibility for just a moment. Here,"
    Garbling the words a little, Harold recites a few words and flicks the edge of the mirror with one finger, sending it spinning around by its string. abruptly, he strikes the mirror with the hammer, sending small shards of glass scattering!
    Spoiler
    Show

Casting silent image to create the effect described below.

Abruptly, at the Eastern doorway there appears a group of black-clad men, a dwarf among them. The oily black sheen of leather sheathes fairly bristle on their backs, and soft boots cover their feet. Shock registers on the mostly-obscured face of one of them, and they silently dash through the doorway. One pauses and waves his hand, and a brick wall appears where the door had stood!

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

The golem continues to stand silently.