New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [MtG] GitP Regulars as Magic the Gathering Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    There sure are a lot of people you don't usually see in the MTG threads.

Amechra, Mistress of Madness - 2UB
    Legendary Creature - Human Wizard - R
    At the beginning of your upkeep, target opponent puts the top five cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
    UB, Put three cards from a single graveyard on the bottom of their owner's graveyard: Return Amechra, Mistress of Madness to it's owner's hand.
    1/4
    I like it! Happens to be the wrong gender, but I always preferred "mistress" to "master" anyway.

=---=

@Xefas - please, you make me blush. Also, the Brainspark Swordsman is pretty sweet. I think the phrasing you want is "When an Instant or Sorcery enters an opponent's graveyard from their library, you may pay X, where X is its converted mana cost. If you do so, exile it instead and cast a copy of that instant or sorcery without paying its mana cost."

Or something like that - I haven't got the full hang of it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    Do I count as enough of a regular to get a card? I'm around every now and then for a good long time now.
    My colors would probably be Simic, maybe Temur.
    I am pretty sure that even if someone's first and only post is in this thread, they count.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    @Xefas - please, you make me blush. Also, the Brainspark Swordsman is pretty sweet. I think the phrasing you want is "When an Instant or Sorcery enters an opponent's graveyard from their library, you may pay X, where X is its converted mana cost. If you do so, exile it instead and cast a copy of that instant or sorcery without paying its mana cost."

Or something like that - I haven't got the full hang of it myself.
    Your words sound much more official. Magic The Gathering does seem to have its own precise dialect of English.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    I am pretty sure that even if someone's first and only post is in this thread, they count.
    *Looks left... Looks right... Looks center...*

Then where the flarp is my card? :P
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

When this is all said and done, I must ask;

Who all would, if they could, build and use a deck containing the Card(s) made for them?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Hey Svata, you forgot to give a value for Tippy's power and toughness.
    I knew I was missing a line there somewhere...

Spoiler
    Show

Fixed it.
    Last edited by Svata; 2016-07-23 at 12:05 AM.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Since my PC is now misbehaving

Tormlet 2WW
    Artifact Creature - Paladin Gauntlet
    Defender
    When Tormlet comes into play, if another player controls more creatures than you, put another Tormlet in play
    The forces of Good are many if you know where to look
    2/2
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    So, wait. You spend two mana, draw a card of your choice, and then basically lose 2 life forever until/unless this card is destroyed?

... I dig it.
    Yup. I know you to be a helpful chap, who'll show up to dispense evil-related knowledge to anyone who calls for you. But I wonder just how deep in debt those people are...

Render!
    Spoiler: Fel Bargain
    Show
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2016-07-23 at 01:29 AM.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    4-mana 6/10. What.
    Only sane man with screwed priorities help would be apritiated

10. - Top - End - #160

Sahweeet!

I have about 3 blocks of custom cards I made back in high school. So this thread is right up my alley.

I even made hundreds of new Vanguard, Planes, and Archenemy cards for my SUPERcasual variant where we shuffle them all together and play modified Planechase with them.

Sadly, I won't get to make cards for this thread till after the weekend. :( But I'll keep an eager eye on it.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I like it! Happens to be the wrong gender, but I always preferred "mistress" to "master" anyway.
    Glad you like it, I didn't know your gender but your avatar seemed to suggest female.

I don't think I ever said it but I give permission too.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Only sane man with screwed priorities help would be appreciated

For comparison:
    10/10 cards tend to cost between 7 and 11 mana depending on their abilities
    There's a 2/10 card that costs 4 mana and a 7/10 card that costs 8 mana.
    6/6 cards tend to cost between 4 mana (with abilities that hurt the person who played it) and 10 mana with pretty good abilities.
    6/7 cards tend to cost between 4 (again, bad/self-harming abilities) and 9 mana with pretty good abilities
    6/8 cards cost between 5 mana (self-harming abilities) and 7 mana
    A 6/9 with a mix of good and bad abilities costs 6 mana

In addition, it also depends on how easy it is to pay the mana. Colorless mana is the easiest to pay, then hybrid mana as the next easiest, then monocolored mana, then mana from multiple colors. The card you wrote costs mostly colorless plus one hybrid mana, which are the easiest to pay.

Just the power/toughness alone means it should cost between 6 and 8 mana before abilities. You've got a pretty good ability, "take control of target creature until end of turn". Sorceries and instants with similar abilities cost 3 to 6 mana and only work once; your card can use it as many turns as you want for 3 mana every time. Most creatures who have that ability are weak (1/1 or 3/2 or something like that, and so are easily destroyed) and generally can only be used once per turn ("at upkeep" or "tap this card") or only when the card is summoned, and cost between 4 and 8 mana; yours can be used multiple times in the same turn and is considerably hard to defeat due to having 10 toughness. A slightly-better similar card to yours is a 5/5 that costs 9 mana and can only be used once per turn (but it also gives the creature haste and untaps it).
    So, if you want it balanced or similar to other cards: Increase its cost, give its ability some disadvantages, give it some weaknesses, make it weaker. Also, reword "take control of target creature" as "gain control of target creature" because that's generally how it's used. Also, "until end of your next turn" – I don't know whether this means what I think it means, but this may make it significantly more powerful than I already think it is.]

Edit:
    Also! Suggestion! Rather than making it physically strong, since the title is "the demon hunter" I think it should instead have some sort of ability like "{tap} {X}: Destroy target tapped Demon with converted mana cost X" or "{W} {tap}: Tap target demon" or something like that.

Sources:
    I used the Gatherer search feature to look up similar cards.
    I used to play Magic, but that was like a decade or so ago.

Of course, since this is all for fun it's not necessary to make your card balanced. Some of the cards made in this thread are intentionally unbalanced, and that's fine. While it would be pretty fun to play with these cards in a for-fun battle, the fun comes from representing people rather than being balanced.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2016-07-23 at 01:18 AM. Reason: accidentally used a hyphen when I should have used an en dash
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    Hi!
    What probably brought me here was mostly because it was reminiscent of the old shippings thread way back when.

Glad you like it. I did way too much background research trying to make it, and trying to make it so it fit everything and was balanced: first I went to the What Colors of Magic [...] thread and read what you wrote there, distilling the essence of what you said about each color and how it applies to you. Then I went to your profile to find random things and recent posts – which, honestly is kind-of stalkerish, but I figured it would be alright for the purposes of this thread. Using a lot of Google, I looked up what abilities are associated with what color and sentiment, and how they're generally fluffed/flavored, and matching it to what you said in that thread. Then I looked up dozens of sample cards (because I haven't played in long enough to remember) trying to properly balance it ((because of what happened last time I tried making a MtG card, with everyone calling it underpowered and underwhelming and weird)) and base the mechanics and how the costs work off of real cards.

For the flavor text I did site-specific google searches for random quotes and "Blue Ghost". It was in an old Birthday thread for you.
    It's fine that you don't have a card for me; I wasn't expecting one and I hadn't even posted permission yet, either. It's not that necessary anyway; guilting you into making one would make me feel guilty. Plus, you still were going to render the Fel Bargain card.

Anyway, I just spent too long rambling my thoughts and I really need to start shadowing someone else to make a card for them.
    Wow, that's really impressive. I'm quite flattered.

And I made a card for you! I hope it's satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Oh, you stalked him? Subarashi.
    Heh, I stalked Viola plenty back in the day.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2016-07-23 at 01:24 AM.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    For comparison:
    10/10 cards tend to cost between 7 and 11 mana depending on their abilities
    There's a 2/10 card that costs 4 mana and a 7/10 card that costs 8 mana.
    6/6 cards tend to cost between 4 mana (with abilities that hurt the person who played it) and 10 mana with pretty good abilities.
    6/7 cards tend to cost between 4 (again, bad/self-harming abilities) and 9 mana with pretty good abilities
    6/8 cards cost between 5 mana (self-harming abilities) and 7 mana
    A 6/9 with a mix of good and bad abilities costs 6 mana

In addition, it also depends on how easy it is to pay the mana. Colorless mana is the easiest to pay, then hybrid mana as the next easiest, then monocolored mana, then mana from multiple colors. The card you wrote costs mostly colorless plus one hybrid mana, which are the easiest to pay.

Just the power/toughness alone means it should cost between 6 and 8 mana before abilities. You've got a pretty good ability, "take control of target creature until end of turn". Sorceries and instants with similar abilities cost 3 to 6 mana and only work once; your card can use it as many turns as you want for 3 mana every time. Most creatures who have that ability are weak (1/1 or 3/2 or something like that, and so are easily destroyed) and generally can only be used once per turn ("at upkeep" or "tap this card") or only when the card is summoned, and cost between 4 and 8 mana; yours can be used multiple times in the same turn and is considerably hard to defeat due to having 10 toughness. A slightly-better similar card to yours is a 5/5 that costs 9 mana and can only be used once per turn (but it also gives the creature haste and untaps it).
    So, if you want it balanced or similar to other cards: Increase its cost, give its ability some disadvantages, give it some weaknesses, make it weaker. Also, reword "take control of target creature" as "gain control of target creature" because that's generally how it's used. Also, "until end of your next turn" - I don't know whether this means what I think it means, but this may make it significantly more powerful than I already think it is.]

Edit:
    Also! Suggestion! Rather than making it physically strong, since the title is "the demon hunter" I think it should instead have some sort of ability like "{tap} {X}: Destroy target tapped Demon with converted mana cost X" or "{W} {tap}: Tap target demon" or something like that.

Sources:
    I used the Gatherer search feature to look up similar cards.
    I used to play Magic, but that was like a decade or so ago.

Of course, since this is all for fun it's not necessary to make your card balanced. Some of the cards made in this thread are intentionally unbalanced, and that's fine. While it would be pretty fun to play with these cards in a for-fun battle, the fun comes from representing people rather than being balanced.
    if you want to make it balanced be my guest since I basicly dont know a thing from mtg help would be appreciated

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Jnaf's Factory
    Legendary Land - M
    T: Add C to your mana pool.
    3,T, exile an artifact card from your graveyard: Put a colorless 3/3 Golem creature token onto the battlefield.
    7,T: Transform Jnaf's Factory. Activate this ability only if you control two or more Golems.
    --------------------
    Jnaf Awakened
    Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem - M
    Whenever an artifact card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may exile it. If you do, put a colorless 3/3 Golem creature token onto the battlefield.
    Other Golem creatures you control get +1/+1.
    5/5
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #166
    Bugbear in the Playground

Blue Ghost:
    I love it! It's so cute; I would put it in my deck all the time even when I didn't have the right lands. The abilities are certainly interesting; I would definitely use them.
    I need to find the image's source. And, wow. Look at that shifting; what position is that? 7th? Or maybe, is it higher? I stop counting at 7, generally.

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    if you want to make it balanced be my guest since I basically don't know a thing from mtg help would be appreciated
    So I ended up making one since I already had the entire thing already made in my mind already. Of course, I decided to go in a slightly different direction than you did because it would be boring just copying you. Plus, I don't know you as well, so that made it slightly harder to personalize. Probably made it a little too strong, too, but. . .

...Should I have made it a Legendary Creature instead? I just realized that's a thing.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #167

Okay, I lied; Stayed up fiddling about and made some things. Because the Epic keyword amuses me.

Spoiler: Loyal
    Show

Spoiler: Draconium
    Show

Spoiler: Snow
    Show

Note how Loyal's makes it difficult to smite anything and how Snow's breaks it's OWN rules. (Sorry Drac, you just got mad overpowered craziness; business as usual for Epic spells.)
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2016-07-23 at 02:31 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Since being legendary makes it a bit harder to play more of in your deck (you can only have one out at a time), I think making it that way, and with "target demon" being so narrow, I think it could even have just [T], Destroy target Demon (Or demon creature, if you're afraid of hitting any old tribal enchantments/artifacts that may have existed) and be alright. I mean, Royal Assassin was always fine, and "tapped creature" is far less narrow than demon.

A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    We need more Planeswalkers.

And yes, the text does go off the end, don't judge me.
    This is perfect for summoning this guy

For some reason i only ever summon him by sacrificing the 1/1 white human soldier tokens... in a blue/green/artifact deck...

Anyway i have a few ideas for people, it might take be a few days to get them together though. here's the first one for blackhawk.

Edit: and one more while it is fresh in my mind for Illven.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2016-07-23 at 04:06 AM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Templating assisting time!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    Anyway i have a few ideas for people, it might take be a few days to get them together though. here's the first one for blackhawk.

For the +2, that should be templated as "Blake, Vile Assassin deals 2 damage divided between one or two target creatures."

As for the -2, "put a 1/1 demon bird token with [B]; regenerate onto the battlefield under your control." Also, the demon birds don't fly?

Edit: and one more while it is fresh in my mind for Illven.
    and that should be "You may play an additional land on each of your turns", and "[T]; Until end of turn, you may play the top card of your library" because otherwise it doesn't expire. (also, all lands tap for mana nowadays. but I'll let that slide.)
    Last edited by Svata; 2016-07-23 at 04:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Templating assisting time!

For the +2, that should be templated as "Blake, Vile Assassin deals 2 damage divided between one or two target creatures."

As for the -2, "put a 1/1 demon bird token with [B]; regenerate onto the battlefield under your control." Also, the demon birds don't fly?

and that should be "You may play an additional land on each of your turns", and "[T]; Until end of turn, you may play the top card of your library" because otherwise it doesn't expire. (also, all lands tap for mana nowadays. but I'll let that slide.)
    I'll make the changes sometime tomorrow. As for all land tap for mana these days... I believe evolving wilds is still standard, but thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2016-07-23 at 04:38 AM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll make the changes sometime tomorrow. As for all land tap for mana these days... I believe evolving wilds is still standard, but thanks for the tips.

Fetchlands don't really count.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Fetchlands don't really count.
    Well, then there is nothing in the extremely limited and boring format of standard. Seriously does anyone play standard outside of tournaments? It is soooo limited. though card shops have made it extremely hard lately to collect cards from even packs like the original mirrodin. I miss mirrodin.

Current avatar by me

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

I was talking about Modern, actually. Can't afford to keep up with rotation for standard to be viable. And Mirrodin was a broken mess. I love it, third favorite block, second favorite plane.
    Last edited by Svata; 2016-07-23 at 08:29 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, i get a Wither Emblem, and Token spam, all good things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Okay, I lied; Stayed up fiddling about and made some things. Because the Epic keyword amuses me.

Spoiler: Loyal
    Show

Spoiler: Draconium
    Show

Spoiler: Snow
    Show

Note how Loyal's makes it difficult to smite anything and how Snow's breaks it's OWN rules. (Sorry Drac, you just got mad overpowered craziness; business as usual for Epic spells.)
    These are wonderful; L's exemplifies defense and mercy and good
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    These are wonderful; L's exemplifies defense and mercy and good
    Thank you.

Will try to do more after the weekend.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

I knew I was missing a line there somewhere...

Spoiler
    Show

Fixed it.
    Is the no casting cost an oversight or are you intending that Tippy gets cheated into play?

Here's my attempt of me (please excuse crappy image editing skills):

Spoiler
    Show

I was debating whether to change the ultimate to "You get an emblem with 'All cards must be played as written'.", but I figured the current one would be more entertaining.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2016-07-23 at 10:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Is the no casting cost an oversight or are you intending that Tippy gets cheated into play?
    It is absolutely meant to have a nonexistent mana cost. You must cheat him out.

30. - Top - End - #180