Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic Anti-Crime Squad: Mind Over Manner [IC]

Spoiler: Both maps
    Show

Shadow of the Colossus

Andrei's hammering strike brings Azwar to his knees, but the tribesman holds on to his wits and resists passing out. He backpedals a bit, trying to get a breather.

"Damn you're strong... you're a Freeman or something?" he mumbles to Andrei, referring to the western Free Tribes, where he himself comes from.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If Andrei uses his AoO on Lucky, then Azwar moves back and throws a ray. If not, then he withdraws. Also, please tell beforehand whether Andrei would rather prefer his AoOs on Lucky or Azwar?

Touch - (1d20+6)[7] vs. 8.
    Fire - (2d6+2)[11]

Blademaster

The old swordsman looks oddly at Cain.

"It's really weird of you to keep telling people to surrender. This is a tournament, not a bandit ambush in the middle of the road. People who come here come determined to fight, for one reason or another."

Gliding away from the oncoming rock, the Blademaster grins as he circles around to take cover behind a closer pillar. From there, he launches a telekinetic slash with one swing of his sword.

Show
    Also, please tell beforehand if you wish to use Inspiration on a saving throw, because it's normally used before seeing the result.

IanReflex - (1d20+6)[15] vs. 14 to halve.
    (7d6-7)[18]
    Possible Ian massive damage save:Fort - (1d20+4)[9] vs. 15.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-04-20 at 04:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

Group Fight
    Ian wasn't exactly sure how this reenacting of David and Goliath would turn out, but it was certainly hard not to watch.

Blademaster Fight
    Ian dove behind a pillar before the devastating rush of force hit him dead on. He still came out of it with a good beating on his legs and the pain was a good reminder to keep his head down.
    "Call me an optimistic fool if you will. I have a distinct distaste for seeing a young life cut short... or any life for that matter. However, I have a matter that concerns more lives than my own and I will see them protected."
    Hah, the little voice snorted, keep telling yourself that. This is FAR from noble and Jessica would agree.
    He kept behind the pillar and waited for a chance to strike back, the blades in his fallen pack seemed to glitter with anticipation at sinking themselves into another victim.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    5-foot step to 2F and holding an action to manifest Telekinetic Thrust on 6 greatswords and the hooked roped ladder if he starts manifesting a power besides that levitation he's using to move around.
    Attack 1: (1d20+11)[22]
    Attack 2: (1d20+11)[12]
    Attack 3: (1d20+11)[22]
    Attack 4: (1d20+11)[19]
    Attack 5: (1d20+11)[30]
    Attack 6: (1d20+11)[26]
    Attack 7 (Ladder): (1d20+11)[25]
    Damage 1: (2d6+3)[7]
    Damage 2: (2d6+3)[9]
    Damage 3: (2d6+3)[12]
    Damage 4: (2d6+3)[8]
    Damage 5: (2d6+3)[10]
    Damage 6: (2d6+3)[8]
    Damage 7: 1+3 = 4

NOTE: If any of them hit, Ian is using an inspiration point to add +4 (up to 2). He's saving the last one in case he needs to make another Death Save.

HP: 36
    AC: 18
    PP: 10 (5 if readied action goes off)/11
    Inspiration 3?/4
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Looks like nobody wants to dance with the Giant anymore," Andrei laughs. He rushes towards Azwar, carefully skirting around Lucky's reach where possible, and delivers another telling blow.

Show
    HP:30 (36-(12-6))
    Generally - prefer to use AoO on Azwar

Move to A13-B14, Lucky gets 1 AoO (move to D13-E14 then east)
    Attack Azwar, non-lethal, no power attack
    (1d20+9)[18]
    (3d6+7)[15]

4. - Top - End - #1384

Planetar

Snake-eyes looks disappointed in seeing Andrei follow Azwar instead of fighting him properly. "Hey, you keep running away from me. Do I look that ugly, pal?" He uses Andrei's retreat to make an attack, and follows him for another swing.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack of opportunity:
    Attack: (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[18]

Combat Expertise 5
    HP: 34/40
    AC: 26 (+1 against Andrei)

Move to C13. Standard attack with sap (nonlethal).
    Attack: (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[16]

5. - Top - End - #1385

Planetar

Ian's Fight

Snake-eyes watches the battle with interest. After his own defeat against the Northerner, Lucky had witnessed how resoundingly the Blademaster defeated the Imperial. In some sense, Lucky's defeat against the Northerner could have been a hidden blessing, as the Blademaster could have easily snuffed Lucky, and cause him to owe a great debt to the Saint.

While Ian had shown a mean streak that none of them had known before the arena fights began, Lucky was still worried about him. He had defeated Fireangel and Demon Hand, but their defenses had been week compared to that of the Blademaster. This was going to be a very interesting fight.

Snake-eyes whoops as Cain unleashes his armory of flying greatswords. He shouts: "Is the old man in the wheelchair supposed to be the Blademaster? Gramps over here has him beat on both size and quantity of blades if you ask me!"

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Maps
    Show

1-on-1

Andrei's persistence finds its reward, and his mighty blow decks the defending barbarian and throws him around several paces. Andrei sees that if had used the cutting edge of his sword in this last minute, the man would be at least in two separate pieces. They stand alone with Snake-Eyes, the only combatants remaining.

Show
    You guys can resolve the rest even without me, I think? Anyway, let's try a couple of rounds like that.

The Grand Final

The Blademaster, having shed his wheelchair by the start of the duel and now somehow walking (gliding, even?) around like a young man, shrugs at Ian's rationalizations.

"You don't have to explain yourself to me. But by being here, all of us are basically fighting for money. That's an indisputable fact."

"By the way, I've watched your earlier matches. You and I possess very similar Talents, though we use them a bit differently."

"Your methods are a bit more... dangerous.

Again, he glides around one pillar to the next, blades held at a defensive stance, but this time he doesn't seem to regained enough energy for another telekinetic strike.

Show
    Sorry about Ian's readied action, but Blademaster simply doesn't have the pp this round.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-04-20 at 08:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

Andrei and Lucky
    He had a feeling that it would come down to this.
    Seems like I have little to do but watch this play out. Andrei definitely does not lack for offense but his defense could use some work. Lucky has quite a good defense but he'll need to be more aggressive to punch through Andrei's power before it regenerates.

Finals
    He speaks quite truthfully. Perhaps you do fight for money and glory, hm?
    He still refused to answer that little voice of reason.
    "And therin lies my reason for asking. Perhaps I could employ my gifts to similar means as yours someday. However, I must still strongly insist that you YIELD!"
    He punctuated his last remark with a manifestation that threatened to throw the Blademaster into the ceiling while scattering his belongings every which way.

Show
    5-foot step to 1F after manifesting Telekinetic Thrust on Blademaster and throwing him at the ceiling at D10. Also manifesting on his sword and as much gear as possible and throwing it to various points.
    Sword to 1D
    non-weapon gear 17J
    I can't exactly see how this would work but for sake of completion, armor to 3A
    Oh, and for a bit of comedy, his socks are flying to 17D
    Will Save DC 17 on each target (up to 7) to not get thrown and all of his stuff go flying around the arena.
    Getting slammed into the ceiling 'fall' damage: (1d6+3)[7]
    Falling damage (unlikely if he's using what I think he's using): (5d6)[15]

PP: 6/11
    Inspiration: 3/4
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2018-04-20 at 12:54 PM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Dwarf in the Playground

Moira drags herself out of the arena, considerably singed. Instead of going to get patched up, she joins the crowd to watch the outcome of the match. She leans forward and calls out to her ex-classmate, "Wipe the floor with them Andrei!" She then winces as movement agitates her burns. Clutching her side, she continues. "Knock the damn fire barbarian out!"

She lets out a whoop as her friend complies, and the remaining Redfang is removed from the fight. Watching him get taken out by the giant takes away some of the frustration from her defeat, if only slightly. Somewhat mollified now that the pyrokinetic who fired at her after she'd mercifully left him to tend to his companion has lost, she watches on as Andrei and Lucky continue to clash.

9. - Top - End - #1389

MindFlayer

"I must admit it is nice to finally be alone with you. You mentioned dancing? Perhaps we could have a nice waltz?" He takes a step back, mimicking a waltz step. "Or maybe that ship has sailed." He bulks up again, his second skin regrowing.

Show

5ft step south to A14,15B
    Manifest 6 PP Vigor
    HP - 14+30temp

10. - Top - End - #1390

Planetar

Snake-eyes rolls his eyes as the giant regrows his skin once again. "Are you going to repeat that trick all day? I have other appointments too, you know." The storm of saps continues unabated.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack of opportunity (if it hits, Andrei must beat a concentration DC of 10+damage dealt)
    Attack: (1d20+8)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[19]

Combat Expertise 5
    HP: 34/40
    AC: 26 (+1 against Andrei)

Full attack:
    Attack 1: (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage 1: (2d6+7)[14]
    Attack 2: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage 2: (2d6+7)[14]

11. - Top - End - #1391

MindFlayer

Edit - irrelevant

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by BtanH; 2018-04-22 at 02:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1392

MindFlayer

The storm of saps proves to be too much for Andrei, and he drops to one knee, yielding.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by BtanH; 2018-04-22 at 03:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

The Old Boys

Ian pulls another one of his old tricks and launches the Blademaster towards the ceiling. He hits it with moderate force, one of his socks fly all the way across the arena, but he somehow keeps possession of his blades. And to most people's surprise, he doesn't fall off, but just stays up there in the cavern ceiling, levitating! He swivels around to an upside down situation and half-walks half-guides himself across the ceiling with his swords. Even from down there, though, Ian can see the hawk-like eyes of the old man making some plans.

"Folks, did I just see a flying sock there? By gods, I really did!"

"Hrm. That was... really immature, 'Cain'. Especially of someone of your apparent age."

Show
    He's 50 ft. up, near the ceiling. He closes up by about 15 ft.

Squad

The match finally ends, and the crowd cheers the winners and losers alike as they hobble or are carried out of the Arena, to be healed by one of the head honchos: Saint. Saint, as is his power, cuts wounds on his wrists and gives the injured combatants a bit of his healing blood, after which his own injuries also miraculously close. It takes more than a few minutes to fully heal the whole squad, and afterwards, they send everyone to the accountant-looking fellow at his desk for a pay-off. He somehow keeps his face sour even while he mouths his commendations.

"Congratulations, you people have put up a good show. Better than what we normally had as filler fights, actually. Here are 10 crowns apiece, and consider your healing costs paid off as well. Also, anyone looking for a more... permanent position should see me after the tournament ends."

With that taken care of, Basset takes everyone to a relatively less crowded place for a "proper" introduction.

"Uh, you really went at each other there, did you? I know you guys know your way around your weapons, but still, that was brutal."

"Anyway, you probably are acquainted from your years at the Academy, but still. New guys, these are Showstopper (Leolin), Snake-Eyes (Lucky), and Cain (Ian). And these are Andrei, Thraskias, Moira and Nathanial. Oh yeah, you haven't picked some nicknames yet, right. Well, you still have some time."

"Feel free to mingle, and you guys should probably bring the newbies up to speed a little?"

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps," Ian chuckled, "but a good father must act so once in a while."
    He froze as he realized what he'd just revealed.
    Oh no...
    He hurried to cover up his blunder even as his shoulders tensed with worry.
    "For all your talk of honor and bravery, it would seem I was the one needing to pry a coward out from behind his rock!"
    He threw his hands out for the audience to see.
    "Perhaps that's it then! You prattle on about bravery to hide your fear!"
    Ian wasn't honestly expecting Blademaster to fall for his taunting but perhaps it would egg the crowd on.
    He met Blademaster's gaze with one of his own.
    It was now a contest that would be decided by who would blink first.
    Show
    If the taunting needs a roll, here it is.
    Bluff/Perform:(1d20+1)[15]
    Holding an action to manifest Telekinetic Thrust on 6 greatswords and the hooked roped ladder if he starts manifesting a power besides that levitation power. After manifesting, 5-foot step to 2H.
    Attack 1: (1d20+10)[23]
    Attack 2: (1d20+10)[20]
    Attack 3: (1d20+10)[13]
    Attack 4: (1d20+10)[18]
    Attack 5: (1d20+10)[12]
    Attack 6: (1d20+10)[30]
    Attack 7 (Ladder): (1d20+10)[16]
    Damage 1: (2d6+2)[8]
    Damage 2: (2d6+2)[7]
    Damage 3: (2d6+2)[8]
    Damage 4: (2d6+2)[14]
    Damage 5: (2d6+2)[10]
    Damage 6: (2d6+2)[12]
    Damage 7: 1+2 = 3

NOTE: Ian is using an inspiration point to add +4 to any Reflex save needed.
    Ref. Save: (1d20+10)[26] +2 if cover is applicable. (Inspiration already applied)
    Death Fort. Save: (1d20+8)[11] if the damage is still above 14.

PP: 8 (3 if readied action goes off)/11
    Inspiration 3?/4

Spoiler: To speed things up (IF both combatants are still up)
    Show
    Ian decided it wouldn't do to waste any more time and decided to push his luck with another flurry of blades. There was no bravado this time. It was a desperate move by a desperate man.
    Spoiler: Potential Actions
    Show
    Manifest Telekinetic Thrust on 6 greatswords and the hooked roped ladder.
    Move into cover in relation to Blademaster.
    Attack 1: (1d20+10)[22]
    Attack 2: (1d20+10)[19]
    Attack 3: (1d20+10)[24]
    Attack 4: (1d20+10)[14]
    Attack 5: (1d20+10)[16]
    Attack 6: (1d20+10)[18]
    Attack 7 (Ladder): (1d20+10)[15]
    Damage 1: (2d6+2)[10]
    Damage 2: (2d6+2)[12]
    Damage 3: (2d6+2)[8]
    Damage 4: (2d6+2)[14]
    Damage 5: (2d6+2)[10]
    Damage 6: (2d6+2)[13]
    Damage 7: 1+2 = 3
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Bladeslinger vs. Blademaster

The following several seconds pass in relative tension as the Blademaster slowly makes his way across the ceiling, but both sides holds onto their powers, watching the other one. Then, Ian breaks the standoff by manifesting his signature power, at which point the Blademaster also fires off his power to interrupt.

Nevertheless, the barrage of blades still come, but the old man glides through most of them, and parries the other two which were coming rather too close for his taste.

"I'm just trying to not die over here. Because I can hold back my swords if necessary, but you seem unable to do that with your... Talent."

Show
    First round passes because no one manifests anything. He closes by 15 ft.

Ian's second round, he manifests, Blademaster fires off his readied action to interrupt:

Damage - (1d6-1)[5]
    IanRef - (1d20+6)[12] vs. DC 15 to halve.
    IanWill - (1d20+3)[13] vs. DC 15 to negate stun, if the Ref fails.
    IanCon - (1d20+9)[20] vs. DC 10+damage

Edit: Oh, okay, you rolled your own Ref with Inspiration, so it succeeds, halves the damage, no stun, and Con check succeeds.

The blades fire off, but none of them seems to hit.

Then I moved Ian to K2 because you just said "to cover", but he's flying and this seems the most optimal?

Then Blademaster approaches another 15 ft. He's still 50 ft. in the air. Also, this is kinda getting ridiculous.

Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-04-24 at 10:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ogre in the Playground

"Exactly why I endeavor to give others the chance to surrender in the first place. Now, if you wish to resolve this as a stalemate, I'd be happy to oblige. However, I doubt that it would allow either of us to face this Immortal. Well?"
    He addressed his last comment to the announcer before he dashed off.
    He's far too skilled for my usual tricks, time to try something a bit different.
    With that, he set out to stall this match and to further debilitate Blademaster.
    Show
    Move to 2E and holding action to manifest Telekinetic Force on Blademaster's armor. Will move him to 5H and at least 5 feet down if not 10 depending on how he moves.
    Trigger is if Blademaster attempts to move more than 5 feet (aka spends a move action to move and not just a 5-foot step)
    DC 17 Will to resist.

Will spend Inspiration point to boost Reflex save if he manifests a power on Ian to interrupt the manifestation.
    Ref.: (1d20+10)[25]
    Will expend Psionic Focus to roll 15 on any Concentration Check to keep the power. 15+9 = 24
    HP: 34
    PP: 2/11
    Inspiration: 1?/4
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ettin in the Playground

After the Thing

"Huh! Hey guys!" Leolin says in a stage whisper that the rest of the group remembers from school. "I'm not sure how much the chief already told you. We're still trying to suss out what happened to the guy that tried blasting Glaucia the other day that caused a gap in his memory. The best I have so far is that I'm meeting with the rest of the Redfangs tomorrow morning, but they don't really know much except he was meeting a client for some kind of mercenary work. Anyone else have notes to compare?"

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

The Final?

When Cain finally offers a tie instead of a surrender, Blademaster actually stops to consider it.

"Hm. Unlike some of the youngsters here, I'm in this for neither title nor the thrill. I'm also not in a hurry to battle against Immortal, honestly."

After several long seconds, he simply shrugs. Or, at least, that's what Ian thinks he's doing up there standing upside down.

"Okay, you know what, I'll take it. It'll be a b**** to get our crowns for this one, though."

"Fellas, am I hearing it right? Did they really just shook on it? Aaaallll these people here, and you old geezers shake on the godsdamn final?!"

The announcer's voice rises up and up in pitch until it's high enough to almost creak. Then, he just chuckles.

"Yeah, I mean, whatchu gonna do, right, fellas? Heh."

The crowd gets really rowdy by this turn of events, however. If not for the intense telekinetic shenanigans in the last half minute, Ian figures they'd be angry enough to even storm the arena. Even now, some of them seem to be considering it, leaning into the arena in order to curse and cuss better, but the obvious prowess of Ian and Blademaster seems to intimidate them enough from jumping in right away.

In the meantime, Saint can be seen gesturing to a fellow sitting very close to the arena who has been watching the matches with intense concentration. From the squad's experience, the plain-clothes man looks like he probably has been focusing on a Talent all this while, but who knows what it could be. The man looks back at Saint and basically shrugs, which seems to let Saint down. He does nothing else, and doesn't speak against the finalists' truce. The Immortal, though, grunts in a disappointed way, mutters something to Saint while slowly getting up from his huge throne-like seat, and walking away.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Present
    Moira shifts from foot to foot, and scratches idly at the newly healed flesh on her neck, still a bit shocked at the efficacy of the Saint's Talent. "So," she says into the silence, "I heard Leolin was put in charge of the squad." She looks upward at the taller woman's ever cheerful face, "How the hell did that happen?"

After Introductions
    At some point Moira attempts to check in on the well-being of the Redfang Elder. Possibly this isn't successful if he and Azwar aren't interested in having someone around who almost killed him, but she'd at least try to see he's okay after what happened.
    Last edited by luckless; 2018-04-27 at 07:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting With the Recruits
    Ian sized up all of the newcomers before he began grumbling.
    "Did ANY of you keep up with your advanced Talent training? I thought I made it a point to provide the instructors with the efficient model for how to train a Talent before I left."
    In all likelihood, Ian had gotten on their nerves with the pile of paperwork he'd left them with.
    "But you should know the answer to that question," he pointed out to Moira, "the girl has always had a good head on her shoulders when it comes down to it. Now if you'd all keep out of harm's way maybe I could get some sleep without worrying about all of you."
    It is then that Ian's match is called out.
    "Hopefully, this fellow will give up before I have to skewer him too." He growled.

End of the Match
    Ian finally relaxed before he turned to bristle at the angry mob and the announcer.
    "Yeah? What of it?" He challenged.
    "Neither of us is in a hurry to find out if the Family's view on what happens after we die is right or not. So unless you want to fight instead of sitting up there screaming, leave us be."
    He then took to levitating all of the scattered belongings to their respective owners.
    He decided it was best to wait until the pillar had been cleared away before he tried to go through the crowd with his overladen pack.

Afterwards
    He once again took to delaying a meeting with Saint and went to see about speaking with Blademaster after collecting the crowns.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

Moira

Moira can see the elder being carried to the Saint as she herself leaves the man fully healed, and as far as she can see, the timely first aid of Azwar seems to have saved him, if only barely. He throws Moira the stare as she passes by, but at least he's not openly hostile.

Ian

The announcer just grins at Ian's comebacks amusedly, and the crowd only goes as far as cursing, perhaps in fear of getting skewered?

"This is the godsdamn Arena, you old berk! It's for fightin'!"

"I'll show you screamin' if you dirtbags don't go back there and fight!"

"We paid thirty crowns for these seats!"

Okay, the last guy probably must have gotten screwed somehow.

As Ian goes to the overseer/businessman's table, he finds an excited argument between the man and Blademaster (this time, returned to his chair). The brutes flanking the overseer seem a bit tense, but they aren't openly shoving the old swordsman away either, as they would do to a nobody.

"Oh, perfect. Now you've come to join the argument as well? I've been telling your 'friend' here the same thing. The prize was 100 crowns for the winner. There is no winner. Simple as that."

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

Negotiations
    Ian was getting a bit exasperated himself, but he kept his calm and managed to do his best at working his way out of the situation.
    "Well why isn't there? We both won. However, our interests are a bit different. But think now of the extra money that has and will be coming in. I doubt that anyone bet on the final being a tie and all of those bets go to the Arena. The best part about this situation is that anything could happen and you can market that. Not to mention you can gain more money if someone tries to bet on another unlikely tie."
    He held a calm smile up until that point before he became serious.
    "But if extra coin does not appeal to you. Perhaps you should consider the issue of the possible loss of fighters. What would happen if rumors should spread that the fighters are not being paid due to technicalities that the Arena itself imposes? I can guarantee you that fewer shows would be put on with fewer fighters and less diversity coming in. Which is cheaper? A few crowns in the short run or the whole business in the long term?"
    He stood at Blademaster's side, eyes locked on the Overseer's through his shroud.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Taking 10 +13 =23 Spending an Inspiration point to add Ian's class level to the roll.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Dwarf in the Playground

Moira shrugs at Ian. "I didn't mean it like that, she's always just so smiley. I thought city guards were s'posed to be intimidating." She goes on. "'Sides, I figured with your penchant for being a know-it-all, you'd end up being the one to boss us around."

Looking back at Leolin she adds, "I guess this is better though."
    Last edited by luckless; 2018-04-27 at 07:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

Negotiations

The overseer seems like he doesn't actually oppose Ian's arguments of short-term winnings, but rather he has some strong opinions about the long term implications of a paid draw.

"They are not technicalities, though. People are explicitly coming here to see fights and blood, and the "winner" part of the prize insures that the combatants try their hardest to win. Otherwise everyone would take the risk-free path of a 50-50 agreement in the finals.

"Say what. If you walk out of here acting like you didn't get paid for the draw, I'm willing to slide you ten crowns each. You didn't get injured, you didn't die, you get paid and we get to keep face. Win-win."

"Make it fifteen, coin-pusher."

"Okay, but that is my last offer."
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-04-27 at 10:06 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's just say you covered the cost of a visit to Saint."
    He wasn't going to push the issue further and took the deal.
    "The man has his own interests to protect as we have ours, Blademaster. Speaking of," he turns to his former opponent, "why do you fight? You've heard my reason already but I have yet to hear yours."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ettin in the Playground

Team Huddle

"Hah! Well, I prefer to call it selectively intimidating," Leolin says in her defense, slipping into airy tone she uses for Li Lin's high-class banter. Her sense of humor about it doesn't do much to dispel the Smiley accusation. "But, speaking of leadership, we'd probably better get on task. I need to talk to the, 'fire barbarians,' before they spot me over here and think I'm some kind of traitor. Does anyone have any other leads at all? Sketchy patrons that might be recruiting for outside work?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2018-04-28 at 02:03 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1407

MindFlayer

"I haven't been looking around much, but I can always try and get recruited if you think that'd help. I'd like to hope someone was impressed with my performance down there." Andrei grins, remembering his fight against Azwar and Snake-Eyes. "I think I'm still going to be sore for a while, no matter how good a healer Saint is," he says, taking a moment to look around, massaging some aching muscles and checking to see if anyone seems interested in him.
    Last edited by BtanH; 2018-04-28 at 02:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone

With the tournament coming to an anti-climactic finish and the rage starting to die down, the people slowly shake off their stupor and get down to the last of their business. Nobles and scoundrels alike try to make their last contacts, while mercenaries and gladiators are approached to be recruited for a job or two. Most of the squad receives a job request or two for a bit of bodyguarding or sellswording, but Ian, Lucky, and Andrei receives the main bulk of them, probably due to their "screen time" having been a bit longer.

Ian

Blademaster shrugs as they leave the overseer's side. Ian notices that he cycles in his wheelchair with a clever mechanism where he rotates some levers with his hands and it translates that force into turning the wheels.

"It's mainly for renown. You see, I was a sword instructor before, but after my accident, I lost a lot of time getting well, and securing jobs became... hard. But here, I can advertise my skill to all these nobles, and earn a little money in the process."

"It was somewhat easier without worrying about getting instantly killed, though, I must tell you that,"
    he adds pointedly while side-glancing at Ian.

Andrei

As Andrei starts walking around, he indeed gets some job requests from several noble-types and some less honorable figures as well. Mainly bodyguarding requests or "kicking people in the face for money" kind of requests, though there are some odd ones as well, like rearranging a statue garden and proof-testing some armors.

After a while, however, a tattooed, exotic-looking woman approaches Andrei and casually palms him a bronze ring in the guise of shaking his hand.

"Screw these losers. If you want an offer that would really turn your life around, meet my lord at the Purple Cloak Club in Highrock in three days from now, and show this ring."

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian grimaced at the story Blademaster gave.
    "While I'm not sure I can entirely empathize, I was in a similar situation until my... 'ability' became known. Afterwards, it was only a matter of time before I would have been run out of my own home."
    He met Blademaster's gaze as he continued.
    "I am truly sorry for the trouble presented by my presence here. However, my goal in attending the Arena has only been complicated by my fight with the young Demon Hand. If his name is anything to go by, Immortal will certainly be quite difficult to defeat, let alone harm. Might you have any advice?"
    It's then that Ian noticed one of the more persistent would-be-recruiters following.
    "Must I send you away again? I told you once before. I am not interested in hiring on as a sellsword and my mind has not changed since! Now unless you have something new to offer, we have no further business to discuss."
    With that, he returned to his discussion with Blademaster.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

30. - Top - End - #1410

MindFlayer

Andrei smiles at the exotic woman, "You'll see me there," tucking the ring into his pocket. He continues his tour of the area, keeping an eye on her and checking to see who else she's talking to. He does what he can to memorize the faces of everyone he speaks to, and the exact wording of their offers. He's wondering if Leolin would let him take some of these offers later on, perhaps if there was a slow period at the watch. Testing armors could be fun. And that statue garden job sounded interesting at the least. Besides, anyone who had a statue garden probably had some decent coin.

Spoiler: Memorization
    Show
    I'd like to roll autohypnosis to memorize all the things (will do it in another post if this is an approved use)
    Last edited by BtanH; 2018-05-03 at 08:42 PM.