New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic Anti-Crime Squad: Mind Over Manner [IC]

Already before his return, *Argus* had visited *Jacob*. Actually, Argus had checked on him remotely every hour or so, and once he saw that Jacob was awake and *Ian* had left, he went for his visit. He would cautiously knock on the door and ask whether Jacob actually wants a visitor at all. Assuming that his visit is accepted:

"I am sorry that I underestimated this guy. I should have known better, we did not know about his powers, and, yeah." He shrugs a bit. "I was the one who scouted him, should've seen that he's not afraid to stand there as an easy target. Should not have sent you in without further precautions. I'll be more careful next time. This time we were still lucky. We all live." He smiles and unwraps a package with some fresh fruits, a small, not very artsy and obviously self made wooden figurine of some canine animal. "Just a tradition from home... For getting better soon." he blushes a bit and reveals a game of cards, asking whether he wants to play a round.
    The only way of properly dealing with me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanil View Post
    I'm just going to increase the CR of every encounter by one for every terrible pun.
    Thanks Ceika for this great avatar!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Echo grins at the mention of cards. "Of course!" He is glad to be in Lucky's team, with cards and everything involved. They could probably win without requiring any extra cards in his sleeve.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jacob smiles when he sees Argus shaking his head sideways while talking "donīt worry yourself, it was me who decided to go up ahead, and I donīt resent it , Iīm quite resilient anyway so if the hit was enough to stop my ticker I donīt want to know what it would have down" he takes a small bite out of the fruit "thanks, and sure, if lucky got the habit in you may as well help you get better at it" he laughed a bit there and starteddrawing some cards before asking a little puzzled "what game are we playing?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Goran's pretty easy to talk to. "Courier service, off the top of my head. But, really, I'd say what you've been doing makes for a pretty cool performance. I'd just make sure it's okay with whoever else you're involving first."

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Leolin
    "She wants us to help people like they do, cracking heads and taking names," comments Thunder from the side sorely. He doesn't seem to be axiomatically against Leolin's words, but having been battered into submission may have caused some lasting frustrations.
    While of course not literally true, the other kid's remark paints a depressingly accurate picture of the P.A.C.S' efforts thus far. Leolin can really only reply with a sympathetic expression.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also: What 3 GP? She's still broke from before, remember?

--

Leolin bursts into the infirmary and spreads some meat, cheese and crackers across the table as snacks. As for card games, she suggests a favorite from the older Carnie crowd. "I vote Fisceter Hold-em!"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2016-08-25 at 08:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

After having Leolin shove him aside in her haste to visit Jacob with an armful of who-knew-what, Ian decided to return to see what was going on.
    Seeing the jovial company in the middle of an infirmary brings a smile to his face and he pushes the previously disturbed door open once again.
    "Well this seems too good an opportunity to pass up. I would say Jacob needs his rest, but I don't think that would be very neighborly of us now would it?"
    He floats a nearby stool over with a clatter before he sits down on it.
    "I personally prefer a game I played in my expedition days called Rat Screw... Rat's Crew? Ra Chew? Eh, I forget what it was called. I could show you how it goes if you'd like."
    No matter what game they chose, Ian has a good time with the others always having a small smile during the whole thing, even when he was losing horribly.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Argus is just playing along well. If there is actually a vote, he's on Leolin's side. If the game is rather commonly played in bars as well, he likely knows it. In any way, he definitely not cheats, and if it includes a lot of bluffing, he'll most likely suck at bluffing himself, but is not too bad at seeing through others' bluffs.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I am also ready to go :)
    I'm just going to increase the CR of every encounter by one for every terrible pun.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Leolin

The kid seems to ponder over what Leolin has said, but only time would tell if it sticks or not.

Everyone

A couple days from the debrief, before Jacob's healing is over, an early carriage drops two faces familiar to some of the group. The commander gathers everyone together along with the newcomers to her room. The group sees that it's two of the Wanderers -- first batch graduates who remain affiliated to the Academy and run field jobs for them. Though their main job is to travel from town to town and seek out possible Talented to recruit/save, they occasionally run other errands as well as acting as the Academy's envoys between the nobles and other power groups within the land.

This time, however, they come to take away Erwan.

The first Wanderer, the one who introduces himself fancily as Garrick the Third, is a pompous looking gentleman in a fine coat and top hat. He winks at Leolin, who can remember him easily as her recruiter, and so can Echo. The second one can be recognized by Lucky and Argus as their recruiter, and he nods at them seriously. He introduces himself as Silvas, a sharp looking fellow in traveler's clothes and a blade at his hip.

They explain that the Headmistress and the Dean have foreseen the potential problem of containing these super-powered criminals, and have started on refurbishing one of the old holdings in the Academy grounds to serve instead as a specially-designed Talented prison. It is obvious from the conversation that the issue was discussed and settled beforehand, because Commander Maela accepts it without much argument. She appoints a sergeant and a small cadre of guards to act as the City Watch's liaison, and the overseeing of the prison will be a joint initiative, similar to group's unit.

After the talks are done, the Wanderers are free to chat with the group if they so wish, and Garrick half-jokingly implies that since they are in the city for a day or two, they can help with the group's training and give some pointers if they promise to buy them a drink or three in the evening.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2016-08-26 at 07:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Lucky nods back at Silvas, just as serious as his. He still remembers the circumstances the two met under, and Lucky feels like he should treat the man with respect, given that it was him who prevented Lucky from laboring at prison.

He jokes back at Garrick the Third. "How about *you* buy us poor guardsmen a few drinks, while we regale you with the stories of our exploits? That sounds like a much better deal to me!"

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Argus nods back as well respectfully. There is a certain pride in his glance, as if he has learned something new and is eager to tell him, but he doesn't want to steal his time.

10. - Top - End - #220

OrcBarbarianGuy

Echo nods Garrick. He is slightly sore about the way Garrick strongarmed him into joining the Academy, but knows that the experience made him realize his potential. Now he knew that the fate had greater plans for him than a life of entertaining commoners with cheap tricks.

"I think you should do the right thing and go with Lucky's suggestion", he said sardonically, echoing the words Garrick had used when recruiting him. Then he hastily added: "Sir."

11. - Top - End - #221

Obsidian shrugs. "Personally, I'd prefer to get the help. Any edge we can get is worth it, in my mind." Then he grins. "Though I'm not sure about the drinks. We're all a little strapped for crowns at the moment. Unless you gentleman plan on chipping in?"
    I do homebrew now, apparently!
    Oath of Asceticsim (5e Paladin Archetype)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian knew of the original Wanderers. Anyone who had read up on their history would know. Ian didn't hold much personal attachment to either of them. In fact, he might have resented, to a small degree, who they represented due to their interference at the college.
    "I'll be fine with advice, but I shall beg you to excuse me from the drinks. I have little tolerance for the stuff and I find it rather disquieting to be around those who are not in full control of themselves."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

As Leolin comes through the doorway to meet the Wanderer team, she immediately retreats back to the hall, slams her back against the wall and sharply inhales. She sighs and stares at the ceiling. Of course they had to bring in that guy. The foppish top hat twit. The guy who gave her the patronizing treatment that she was trying and failing to spare Goran from. Maybe she could just stand here and avoid him forever? No? Dang it.

She sucks it up and heads into the room after everyone else. She returns Garrick's wink and training suggection with a resigned scowl and a terse, "hey, Garrick. I'm good, thanks."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Garrick looks like he notices Leolin's curtness, but before he can comment on it, the others pelt him with comebacks. He opens his arms grandiosely and grins.

"Why, I didn't know things were this rough here in the city. Okay, I feel gracious today. Drinks and training." He points a finger at Lucky "threateningly". "But I'll hold you to that offer. You mean to have actually caught someone in the few days you've been here? Come on!"

The Wanderers help with the group's training if they so like, and in the evening, they buy the group a drink at the, no, not the Boar, but another respectful inn.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you have any questions about powers, the Talented, and similar stuff, these are the guys to ask.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2016-08-27 at 03:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225

OrcBarbarianGuy

While enjoying his drink, Echo shoots the first questions off the top of his head:
    "How many of us Talented do you think are out there?"
    "Who are the most dangerous Talented criminals?"
    And if he doesn't know the answer already: "What are your powers?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian sips at some well water that the innkeep's help had drawn up for him, though he got a rather quizzical look from them as he dipped his cup into the bucket before this. He seems to mull over his own question as the others voice theirs and are answered. After a few questions and answers, he clears his throat and voices one of his own.
    "Are there any indications that some influential groups are hostile to the Academy? Perhaps someone who tried to stop its formation in the first place? Speaking of, how were the first days of the Academy? It is much different hearing from the source."
    His voice is still measured, as if weighing each word and sentence before it is uttered.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

17. - Top - End - #227

Planetar

Lucky tells his story to Garrick, embellishing it to the extent possible. "...and when he hit the moon with his pistol shot, I jumped down the roof -- how high was that? 25 feet? -- and hit him hard in the head with my sap. But the scoundrel was so thick-headed that he didn't get knocked out. When he saw me in all my glory, he chickened out and started running away, but I followed him. When he turned the corner, he though he could catch me unprepared, and struck me with a lightning bolt right in my chest." Lucky takes a sip from his drink. "Of course, I wasn't born yesterday, so I shrugged it off. I said 'This is how you strike, son!' and struck him in the head with my sap again, properly this time. And he started counting the stars right after that!" He tries to take another sip, but finds his glass empty. He turns to the innkeep and shouts: "Hey, why don't you reach for that bottle of scotch you hide for nobles? My friend Garrick is picking the tab tonight, and he is the Third or something, so he qualifies as a noble I suppose." He grins at Garrick as he does so.
    Last edited by Lynam III; 2016-08-27 at 11:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

While Silvas answers Echo and Ian's questions with a silent voice, Garrick listens to Lucky's grand story. Silvas, unlike Garrick, doesn't seem to mince words at all.

"The Dean conjectures it at a one-to-hundred ratio, but believes almost nine tenths of them to be latent. So, there might be as many as 150 Talented within this city at all with that count. If it's true at all.

"Of the criminals we know, there are Blacklight, Madhouse, Doctor, The Queen, and The Immortal. We don't know of much about their powers, though, apart from what their handles suggest. That may be a diversion on its own, however. There's also Breaker, who is an ex-Wanderer. His powers are short-range offensive and defensive telekinesis. The last I heard he commands an all-Talented mercenary team. I'd advise to steer clear of him.

"There are also the more... mythical ones, like Whisper, or the Reaper. There are stories told about them, but no clues as to whether they exist at all, or not. Apparently Whisper can get into your mind and make you do stuff, like murder your wife and kids. And the Reaper just snatches you away, never to be seen again. Could as well be just folk tales."

"Our powers? Garrick claims to be able to read emotions, and to... prod them in certain ways. Me, my body is just faster, stronger, and tougher than normal. Nothing superhuman, but I guess I'm versatile."

To Ian's question, Silvas seems to pause for a moment before answering.

"Apart from the Church of the Family, no group that I know openly opposed the Academy's founding. The first days were tough, to say the least. The Headmistress, the Dean, and the Professor worked hard to establish the facilities and to reach out across all of the kingdom, but the Church still tried to influence the nobles and the masses and turn them against us. Soon all that was too much for the Professor, who was a more... theoretical man than the others, who left. The Dean and the Headmistress persevered, though, and look at where we are."
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2016-08-28 at 05:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian knit his eyebrows in thought and drained the last of his water before he tilted his head to the side in a quizzical manner.
    "The Church of the Family? What do they have against the Talented? The books I studied about them seem a bit dated. Also, do you know where the Professor is and what he's currently doing? A theoretical man might be the person I would like to talk to. After all, theory without practice is just a dream."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

"He apparently doesn't want to be found. The Dean says he probably teaches or does research in some corner of the kingdom, but no one has heard anything about him."

Days pass, the Wanderers take Erwan away, and Jacob finally fully recuperates. Immediately, the commander summons the group.

This time, however, when the group enter the commander's room, the most glaring difference is that Anton and Mich aren't there. There is just the commander and the lieutenant, but they look no different in expression nor manner. Maela directly goes into the briefing.

"Okay, this one is a little finicky, so, listen up. There are reports of several anti-Talented gangs waltzing about in Blackford and roughing up people who they suspect to be Talented. For those of you that don't know the city, Blackford is a craftsmen's district, which mostly consists of smithies, tinkerers shops, forges, that kind of stuff. They play it too safe and avoid our patrols whenever possible, but now there is another factor. A group of Talenteds apparently formed a neighborhood-watch kind of band to hunt down these gangs and reciprocate their "good feelings" back at them. Now, we normally don't crack on vigilantism that hard in Steadwick, but a group of Talented is something to look out for.

"Your mission is to scout this band and make contact. See how they operate, and if they present a threat to the order of the city. Best case, slap their hands a little. Worst case, take them in. The gangs themselves are of secondary importance, so don't waste much time on them. Take them in too, if you like, but you can let Mich's guys do it as well, if you can pinpoint their locations.

"Any questions?"
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2016-08-29 at 05:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

"Huh. Alright!" Leolin shrugs. "I don't see how any different from anyone else looking out for each other. It should be fine as long as they don't do something insane."

22. - Top - End - #232

"I'm ready to go. I do have a question, however. Where are Anton and Mich?"
    I do homebrew now, apparently!
    Oath of Asceticsim (5e Paladin Archetype)

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian nodded slightly, seeming a bit disappointed. In any case, he dropped the subject and excused himself for the evening.

An overbearing sigh sounds across the room.
    "Fear turns normally sensible people into dolts. How long do we have until we need to return? This may take longer than hunting down some thugs and beating up the saps."
    He never does elaborate what type of sap was meant.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jacob chuckles after he hears obsidian, being perhaps a bit too jolly after the success that was their first mission "donīt worry for them, Iīm pretty sure they are still part-time guards after they became our sitters" he then turns to the commander "is there any leads on the groups? you know, give us a place to start so we can continue from there"
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

25. - Top - End - #235

OrcBarbarianGuy

"A group of Talented, all in one place, huh? That is like a barrel of gunpowder waiting to explode.", says Echo, with a hint of irony in his voice. "I can volunteer for the role of the diplomat if we get to find them. But I would prefer if someone else did the planning on how we split, what to do if the neighborhood watch turns hostile, and so on."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Argus blushes a bit when he steps forward. "M-may I maybe make a suggestion?" He waits a second and assuming there is no red signal, he continues: "So, I was thinking, wouldn't it be good if the Watch would act as a good example to show that all humans - regardless there talent - can work hand in hand? I... I think that if you let Talented handle the Talented, and Normals handle the Normals, it... one could perceive it as actually propagating the discrimination. But if mixed groups would go against the two opposing groups in Blackford... Wouldn't that show that the Watch is not taking a side other than that of the law which applies to all humans? Of course I agree that in some cases it's good to just fight fire with fire, and I know that the main reason we are here is to provide a special unit capturing Talented terrorists. But in this case, we are likely talking about mixes of civilians and actual criminals on both sides, so everyone will feel involved in the situation, and..." He shuts up, as he suddenly realizes that he is talking a lot, caughs a bit and concludes: "What do you think?"

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

The lieutenant steps in to answer Argus's question, her hair bobbing as she shakes her head seriously.

"A noble sentiment, Argus, but an ultimately needless one. You aren't only handling Talented, as you can remember well from the last mission. Plus, it is not our job to nitpick our every action to see if sends the right message or not. Our job is to keep the order, and use the best methods to do so. Is that understood?"

Commander Maela smirks as Obsidian shoots his question.

"Sergeants Anton and Mich are no longer needed to babysit you, as you proved yourselves in your last jobs. On that note, we would need to establish some kind of chain of command, wouldn't we?"

She gives all of the group a once-over, and grins ever so slightly.

"Leolin, you're hereby promoted to Corporal. Don't let it go to your head. I understand your group will not need that strict of a command as in our normal squads because of all of your peculiar talents and individual tactics, but for split-second decisions or inter-party conflicts, you'll be the gal to listen.

"Is that alright with all of you?"
    She says sarcastically as she specifically looks at Lucky. "Anyway, dismissed. Find Watchman Chester, he'll lead you to the sighted locations within Blackford."

28. - Top - End - #238

Planetar

Lucky responds to the commander's rhetorical question and noticeable gaze by raising an eyebrow. He is unimpressed by her decision to single him out, and he does not attempt to hide his reaction. He tries to think what might have caused her action, but he cannot think of anything else beyond his admittedly somewhat shadowy background. But why would she think that he would object to her decision? Could it be that Mich or Anton suggested him, and Maelo vetoed it? That would have given her some reason to expect a protest from Lucky, and a heated argument could have triggered this. In any case, Lucky doesn't press the issue. He does a lazy salute, and leaves the room with the others, congratulating Leolin in earnest.
    Last edited by Lynam III; 2016-08-30 at 08:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian smiles a bit as the call for any objections was made.
    "Alright? I'm thrilled! No one could be a better leader than Ms. Leolin!"
    Well that's a relief! Maybe now I can get some rest from those insufferable physical training regimens! Besides, it's the younger generation that will make it interesting in the future.
    He turns to Leolin and gives a brief salute.
    "Shall we find Mr. Chester Corporal Leolin?"
    He leaves with the others, making sure to allow Leolin to go first.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2016-08-31 at 12:33 AM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

30. - Top - End - #240

OrcBarbarianGuy

Echo salutes at the commander, surprised that she didn't pick Lucky, at the same time happy that she didn't pick himself. Another position of responsibility well-avoided.

Dire Felicia was one of the few people in the entertainment business that he took an extra care not to piss off. That was admittedly due to the possibility of the young woman crushing him like a bug. As such, he refrains from making a quip about Leolin's promotion, and nods at her hastily instead.