New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: No magic items

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default No magic items

Has anyone used the Fixed Enhancement Bonuses table in the Dark Sun campaign setting book. If so how well did it work for your game.

I maybe moving back to playing 4e from 5e

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: No magic items

It's a generally a well regarded system. Most people don't go for no magic items at all, though, just not as many.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I always use it. One thing that can be frustrating of its a low magic world, you want an item for its enchantment, and don't get the full benefit compared to the guy that bought a less mechanically important item. You got a belt, I got a sword, but somehow the belt feels better.

Now, at higher level I bet that's less of an issue. At lvl 2/3 I got frustrated, but if my inherent bonus was higher than my magic item I'd be less peeved.

It is very, very important if someone wants to use more than one item to hurt people, as it is if a character ever loses their weapon and has to rearm with generic stuff is still competent. At higher levels, it's great, and it let's you use an iconic low-level weapon for an entire campaign.
    Last edited by Tegu8788; 2016-07-31 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thank you. I didn't think I would get a response so quickly. These forums don't seem to be really active.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

By and large we have mostly said everything to each other that we want to say, but we still want to talk. Which means when someone new shows up, we are all very excited to answer questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    Has anyone used the Fixed Enhancement Bonuses table in the Dark Sun campaign setting book. If so how well did it work for your game.
    It is my experience that the game plays better (more streamlined, more balanced, and faster) with few or no magic items (and the fixed bonuses you mention), than with the WBL christmas tree that is the default.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Two issues with no magic items:
    Certain types of combat get really weird if no one has magic items, which really encourages specific archetypes. Aka ranged PCs over melee. Flying opponents as an example.

A striker PC ought to be averaging about 20/40/60 damage per round at levels 10/20/30 as a baseline. If they're doing that, they kill a standard in the same and 'right' amount of time at all levels. More than that and the DM has to start leveling up encounters to present the right amount of threat, less than that and combats will start to drag out and go with at-wills. The second eventually happens without magic items.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you remove magic items from the game, you remove some possibilities of expanding a player's abilities - i.e. the melee Fighter will be hurt if you require a lot of mobility (no teleport, no fly, etc... those kinds of things)

Honestly, it's not something that will really make itself felt until late paragon/epic levels. 4e does a fair job of evening the field between the casters and non-casters, but at the higher levels, some builds could feel a good deal more "mundane" than others. But again, this isn't really felt until high-paragon/epic levels - so probably not even a thing.

Also, it's just something that will need to be kept in mind by the DM - there's nothing game-shattering in any case.

Takeaway - you're fine.
    Last edited by MoutonRustique; 2016-08-01 at 04:08 PM.