New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Imperial Assault Campaign Question

I was wondering. Currently considering buying the game as i expect good news on the job front soon.

I know expansions (minors and majors) offer new missions for the campaign. And i was wondering how they fit within the overall campaign.

Do you have to play them before the final mission, or they can act as a continuation?Its before, do you have to swap out other optional missions to keep the.number of missions to a specific range of number, or you can add them as much as you want before the final mission?

Same questions about major expansions (like Return to Hoth). Are they continuation or just new things that fit within the same base campaign?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Imperial Assault Campaign Question

I guess there isnt a big IA fanbase here..?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I was wondering. Currently considering buying the game as i expect good news on the job front soon.

I know expansions (minors and majors) offer new missions for the campaign. And i was wondering how they fit within the overall campaign.

Do you have to play them before the final mission, or they can act as a continuation?Its before, do you have to swap out other optional missions to keep the.number of missions to a specific range of number, or you can add them as much as you want before the final mission?

Same questions about major expansions (like Return to Hoth). Are they continuation or just new things that fit within the same base campaign?
    Hi,
    The campaign is composed of a series of story missions, and side missions in between. The number of side missions depends on which campaign you play, and to choose which side missions you will play, you have to choose a number of them (around 5 or 6) at the start of the campaign and you will randomly get 2 of those and choose one of those to be played whenever you have to play a side mission.

Small mini packs typically bring a side mission in which you can gain the minis as allies (for rebel units), or agenda cards which allow the Imperial player to get the units too.

Boxed expansions come in 2 flavours. "Mini"-expansions (Twin Shadows and The Bespin Gambit), which have 4-6(can't remember exactly) side missions which can be played as a mini-campaign with faster advancement.

Big ones (Return to Hoth and a new one that has just been announced) have a full campaign like the core set(around 12 missions).

Boxed expansions also bring new campaign heroes and Imperial class decks.

I hope I answered your questions, if anything is not clear let me know so I can clarify.

4. - Top - End - #4

Awesome! So these new campaigns are designed to be played with entirely reseted characters, not as a continuation of the original campaign?

For the mini packs missions, are those added to the overall campaign as well? Do they.. err... "Take the place" of other side missions that came with the original campaign, or you can play them out of the blues?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

They're not a continuation. Every box is it's own campaign.

The minipacks have side mission cards. At the beginning of the campaign, during the setup, you build the side mission deck with some chosen side missions, every playing character's own side mission, and a number of random missions. For playing them during a campaign you would need to have them at this point, unless you houserule that you can just replace one of the ones you chose (which shouldn't really matter much if it hasn't come up yet).

I've read somewhere that when people want to just play a side mission as a one-shot they use the same rules for starting the mini-campaigns where everyone starts with some exp and equipment.

6. - Top - End - #6

I see.. so the new minimissions are drawn as part of the campaign, but do not lenghten the experience (just adds variability), and the new campaigns require a full reset of characters' stats to play.

Thanks!! You have been helpful!