New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: [PF] Dragon's Delve - Team A (In Character)

People are beginning to get accustomed to the new arrival, well enough that Archie can move forward and take a closer look at the large tube in the room.

The room itself is bathed in that odd green glow, not enough to be bright, but it does allow every corner to be picked out easily without torches. Three doors exit this room, one to the north(likely making its way back to the chamber with the frescoes) one in the south-east corner, and one along the southern wall.

As the cylinder is moved towards, two things become apparent. First, it doesn't simply sit within the chamber. It looks like it moves a few feet into the stone of the roof before dead ending, and it drops down into the floor, the tube extending beyond easy sight. Second, the 'tube' doesn't appear to be made of glass at all, though it is perfectly clear. Trying to size it up, you would suspect its some sort of force effect.

As it is inspected, movement is seen from the pit and suddenly a creature drifts upwards rapidly. A gray-brown beast of unique and bizarre appearance. Spherical, it sports a massive central eye, with a number of eyes on long stalks on top, and long tendrils dangling from beneath it. The whole being stretches approximately five feet across. It glares at you as you peer in. Taking advantage of its surprising appearance, it lets loose a burst of rays from its eyestalks, though the rays hit the tube and stop. The thing seems amused by whatever fright this may cause, looking to be roaring with laughter, though no sound is heard from within.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It can't actually get to you through the tube, though it isn't clear where the tube may lead or whether its actually trapped in there or not. The tube is essentially indestructible to anything you guys have available to you at the moment(probably for the best), so feel free to respond how you wish with that info.

Spoiler: Know: Dungeoneering DC 15(About the creature)
    Show
    This creature is known as an Ocular Tyrant. They are powerful denizens of the underdark, known for enslaving the living.

Spoiler: Know: Dungeoneering DC 18
    Show
    They are able to stop magic with their central eye, and fire a variety of rays from their smaller eyestalks.

Spoiler: Know: Dungeoneering DC 20
    Show
    They secrete a toxin that causes those they smear it upon to become stunned.

Spoiler: Detect Magic (Cylinder)
    Show
    The cylinder shows an overwhelming aura of abjuration.

Spoiler: Southern Door
    Show
    The door has a rune carved on it in draconic. It also has a lock of remarkable quality on it.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    The rune is the number '4'

Spoiler: South-East Door
    Show
    The door is well locked. Listening at it, you can hear what sound like howling winds on the other side.

Spoiler: Perception DC 23 (searching the room)
    Show
    A small loose stone is found along the southern wall, which appears to be attached to a switch of some sort.
    Dragon's Delve A - IC OOC Map

Bink's Stormy Knight - Halthus

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheCynic View Post
    Because...because I don't have to let my life be determined by my birth. Because I have no control of my heritage, but I do have control of my actions, and I chose to do what's right. "
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    To be fair, most who know anything of my family's reputation would ask the same question of me, so I will not hold you accountable for the actions of your ancestors. I will extend my trust for now - please be worthy of it,"
    Archibald follows the interchange with interest. While "tiefling" brings old wives tales to mind and leaves an unpleasant feel, he can't help but be moved by Licht's speech... if not a bit uncomfortable with it's finer points.

"I concur with Aaron, and I trust his judgement. I for one care not of your heritage, good or ill; it is results I want. And I will not lecture a man I just met on the responsibilities that accompany heritage." This, with a sideways glance at Aaron. "As for my own thoughts, nobility is in a noble's blood; to cast it aside would be as like a bird that cats aside flight to swim as a fish: clumsy and comedic. "

Spoiler: Side Note
    Show
    Those more familiar with Archie can probably see the speech coming on, and as not everyone has introduced themselves yet, may do well to interrupt before he gets rolling; after which he returns to the Pillar. Out of time for now anyways
    Last edited by Harhoult; 2016-09-30 at 02:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    "We shall have to be vigilant and watching for ambushes still."
    Hopton scoffs. "I'm always vigilant and watching for amb-woah!" As the diminutive swashbuckler trips over the rough rags and cloth that until recently formed bedding for large felines, he snorts. He rises to his feet and continues stifling the nearby torches.

His ears perk up at the call from the entrance, and Hopton hurriedly hustles back to where Quinn serves as rearguard. A narrow smile plays upon his lips as the Tiefling comes into view, and Quinn immediately assumes the worst.
    "Ho there! Who are you and what brings you to this place?"
    -snort- "He just told us that" Hopton mutters under his breath.
    ".... Something about a halfling asking the sheriff how he could evade the law when he's having fun?"
    A quiet groan escapes Hopton's lips. "Ugh, couldn't even remember my name?" He pouts quietly in the corner. A grin splits his face at Quinn's comment, followed by an innocent shrug. As the newcomer announces his abilities, Hopton's attention wanes at a precipitous rate. "You can't hardly be the weirdest one down here. That other fellow can't even talk right when he gets excited..."

He remains quiet and actually has to stifle a yawn as Archibald comes forward, announcing himself and of course that last name of his... Behind the man's back, Hopton rolls his eyes as the sorcerer makes his introduction.

At Aaron's rather abrupt quasi-accusation, Hopton almost interjects. Walking around with a last name like Tanessen and he's accusing them? Psht. Another roll of the eyes meets Archibald's own comments, and sparks Hopton into action:

Stepping forward, Hopton clears his throat. "I, for one, have met a few other Tieflings with similar outlooks. Far be it for me to guide your steps- in the metaphorical, spiritual sense, at least. Here in the delve, I highly recommend you allow me to do exactly that," he finishes with a grin. "Of course, it's only right that we save the best for last. I am Hopton Longbottom," he bows, flourishing his small hat. "You may not have heard my name, but you have heard of my exploits," he adds with a laugh. "I'd rather my actions speak for themselves, but in the interest of introduction, stay behind me and you'll be alright!"

As usual, the Halfling leads the way towards the eerie green cylinder. As the others look around, he draws his rapier and tentatively pushes it towards the edge of the shape. Focused on the tip of his blade, the sudden appearance of a relatively massive beast behind it causes him to leap backwards, falling onto his rump on the hard stone floor. "What in the nine hells is that!?" he cries, his voice cracking slightly in surprise.

His attitude rapidly shifting to indignation, he leaps to his feet. "Fine then, ugly! Come out of your blasted hidey-hole and fight if you think that's so funny!" His blade drops threateningly for only half a heartbeat before Hopton thrusts it towards the cylinder and the monster lurking within.

Show
    I officially apologize if this gets us all killed. Hopton is entirely too fearless and foolhardy for his own good.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Licht decides not to get involved in Archie's discussion on noble blood; he was hardly one to talk about the responsibility of his heritage. He smiles at Hopton. "Can't talk normally? That's...interesting, I guess. Thank you, Hopton. Yes, I believe strongly in letting someone's actions speak for them. I'll, um, try to remember to stick behind you."

Licht follows the group i to the room with the cylinder. He jumps when they eyes-ball shoots rays at the tube. "దయగల డాన్పుష్పం*, what is that?"

Mudoru rages at Hopton's actions. "Imbicile! The weak mortal intentionally drawing the ire of a much more powerful creature and stabbing at a magical containment field?! Is he trying to get everyone killed?!"

Licht turns to Hopton and tactfully translates, "Um, I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but threatening the strange monster and stabbing the strange magical tube might not be the wisest course of action."

Spoiler: *Celestial translation
    Show
    Merciful Dawnflower
    Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

Quinn wasn't sure what to say when the conversation turned to the topics of noble blood and life paths. He'd obviously been bored into a position of priveledge--his family had the pull and the funds to provide him a proper education and shelter him from the hard life most people were saddled with--but he had not claim to any family legacy or bloodline, let alone one that warranted announcing his family name and father to others on the road. He'd obviously quite enjoy leaving his mark on the history books of the world, but that would be accomplished through his achievements not from his heritage.

Things seem to be going well enough and after a short while they once again set out to move deeper into the dungeon. Quinn remains near the rear of the group attempting to keep watchful eye and keen ear on the group ahead as well as covering their flank. He does make a mental note of the groups new distribution, keeping in mind how folks follow behind Hopton as he leads on, so that he might best be able to position himself for clear lines of fire as needed.

Entering the room with the green glowing column immediately drew in Quinn's attention like a sponge. Luckily there was no ambush from behind to take advantage of the moment because this room instantly piqued his interest and held fast his curiosity. When the creature rises his draw nearly drops and he fumbles to ready his weapon... but as the burst of rays issues forth from the eye stalks he finds his heart in his throat.

"What is that thing?" He manages to stammer out, thinking back to his teachings he couldn't recall having learned of such a best. Perhaps the others had heard rumors or tales with their more real-world experience. "It seems contained within the column... be careful that we don't accidentally trip some sort of release mechanism."
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As much as Archibald wished to examine the pillar further, it was the newcomer Licht that drew his attention on the way back down. His... unusual features disturbed Archie more than he would ever admit, more due to the memories they brought back and the uncomfortable thought that, had it not been for Arnheim's seal, his own appearance would likely be similar...

Realizing that he was staring, Archie quickly fished about for something to discuss with Licht.

"I am afraid I missed part of your introduction... Something about summoning and transformation magic?

Spoiler: OOC Assumption
    Show

assuming Licht provides a short recap of his abilities, won't make you repeat if you rather not

"Ah. You specialize in conjuration and polymorphics then?" Archie summarizes, trying to fit Licht into a preconceived box,
    "I have a preference for evocations myself. I look forwards to seeing the craft of a fellow mage."

He waves a hand absently towards Quinn and Aaron, who have taken the lead as the pillar comes into view. "Those two use some interesting magics as well. It would seem that there is far more variance to magic than my instructor let on. Tell me, did you atte... GOOD GODS WHAT IS THAT!?!"

Archibald is abruptly cut off as an abomination suddenly floats into view, and he ducks reflexively as it seems to fire something at the party. Hopton's reaction, coupled with the creature's own hideous-looking mirth, elicits a few shaky chuckles from Archie.

"My, that's an ugly brute. For better or worse, it does not seem to be an unthinking beast though; Aroden's ashes, I hope it stays in there."

While keeping a careful eye on the pillar, Archibald stays near Quinn as the scholar investigates the room. Archie has become keenly aware of his own inattention to details the others have picked up on. His pride would allow no such admittance, but he felt that his own skills could only benefit through observation.

When the search turns to the southern door, the rune upon it triggers a strange noise from Archie, something guttural as he apparently attempt to swallow his own tonsils.

"Vrarr. It's draconic, the language of magic. Vrarr equals the number Four in common, though what that has to do with this door escapes me."
    Last edited by Harhoult; 2016-10-01 at 11:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aaron watches the rest of the party patiently until the abomination appears. Where most of them react by leaping back, instead he leaps forward aggressively, brandishing his sword and shield. When Hopton's blade point does not pierce the column he slows but does not lower his guard. "I have no idea what that is, but would prefer to avoid it for now - can you please stop poking at it, Hopton?" Once things settle and it is clear the party is not under immediate threat the noble looks around and notes Archibald moving towards one of the doors. He then places himself between the party and the other doors, trying to keep an eye on their flank.

"Four? What does that mean, you think?" he asks when the arcanist describes the door. "Is it locked?"

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Locked? Yes it is, in fact; though that hasn't stopped our Quinn before. As for the number..." Archie shrugs. "If there is a vrarr, then I suppose there must be a fogah somewhere, possibly a jlatak. Only exploring further will tell."

Archie frowns and glances back at the abomination. "Though I wish that thing would stop looking at me! It's quite unsettling, I wish it would back whence it came. No, never mind... I almost prefer it where we can see what it's up to, now that it's here."

"I don't suppose... we could try communicating with it? While it seems sound does not reach it, it may understand written language." Archie gives another shaky laugh. "It can certainly see well enough!"

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    Fogah = 3, Jlatak = 5; because I too can use fancy shmancy tongues!
    Last edited by Harhoult; 2016-10-01 at 07:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The halflings blade strikes the wall of force with a bit of a jolt, jarring his hand and skidding off to the side which only brings another burst of silent laughter from the creature.

As the party explores the room, its gaze follows them, even if they split to various portions the eye-stalks divide up and seem to watch everyone at once. Now and again, when it feels it can, it tries to startle someone by lunching at the wall of the tube or firing its rays again.

Show
    If anyone has knowledge history, feel free to make a roll. Probably going to be a pretty hard check, trying to determine about whether there might be something known to give a clue about.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

Still off-put by the presence of the creature in the column, Quinn tries not to take his eyes off it for too long. He slowly makes his way around the room and toward the southern door alongside Archibald. "No, no, I don't think it's denoting this door as the fourth in a set... I think it might be a reference to The Four." He explains, pausing a brief moment to see if there was an air of recognition from any of his companions before elaborating. "A group of quite powerful sorcerers is fabled to have made their headquarters deep in the Delve, calling themselves The Mages Four."

He shoots another worried glance at the creature and then focuses his attention on the stylized symbol for the door. "They supposedly used the symbol Vrarr as their calling card. But...that would have been going on near a millennium ago now... these markings and door look quite recent." He scratches his chin as he muses over this new puzzle, nearly forgetting the trapdoor they'd left behind, and leans in to study the lock a bit closer.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    What are we looking at lockwise? Does this look like something worth trying to pick or is this well beyond my skill?
    Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 2016-10-01 at 10:54 PM.
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

11. - Top - End - #221

NecromancerGuy

Aaron glares in annoyance at the creature before pointedly ignoring it as he watches for threats. "That is all very interesting, Quinn. Thank you. Now, can you open the door or not? We should continue forward - I would prefer to not have this thing staring at us all day..."

The nobleman sounds genuinely interested, though frustrated by something. Based on his body language he seems particularly nervous at this intersection where so many opportunities for ambush abound, especially given their silent companion. He begins to pace back and forth, looking down the hallways and at the doors one by one. "Hopton - would you quick poking at that thing and help someone do something? It feels like that thing is crawling right up my spine, and I don't like it!"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

"Actually, it looks to be beyond my skill for the moment." Quinn answers Aaron before sarcastically adding. "And even if I could the information seemed relevant enough to share with the group before simply charging onward."

Another worried glance at the creature proceeds him moving along the wall to the south eastern door to properly investigate the door there.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Sarcasm : (1d20)[4]

Perception : (1d20+4)[22] Looking for traps on the SE Door
    Disable Device : Take 10 for 17... otherwise (1d20+7)[13]

Unlock it if possible but dont yet open it, someone else should go first.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quinn's revelation piques Archie's interest, which has him set aside plans of communicating with the Watcher for now.

"Mages Four, eh? Interesting. If they still lived, they would be quite powerful indeed... though it is far more likely that someone else has been using their mark, hoping to capitalize on the reputation it apparently carries."

Aaron's urgency was infectious, reminding Archie yet again that they were in no way secure here. Still, there was little to do until Quinn could open a way forwards, or the group decided to backtrack. Though as long as there was time...

"Aaron. I have a suggestion going forwards. Whenever there is room to do so, it would behoove yourself (and most likely Hopton) to leave a gap in your ranks to permit the use of my magic. I would simply hate accidentally catching one of you in my flames..."

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Harhoult View Post
    "Ah. You specialize in conjuration and polymorphics then?" Archie summarizes, trying to fit Licht into a preconceived box,
    "I have a preference for evocations myself. I look forwards to seeing the craft of a fellow mage."
    Licht smiles weakly. "Well...my craft is rather limited. I can only conjure a couple of relatively weak monsters, and I have but one form I can polymorph into. Still, I try to do the best with what I have. It probably isn't anything special compared to what a dedicated mage as yourself can do."

"I don't suppose... we could try communicating with it? While it seems sound does not reach it, it may understand written language." Archie gives another shaky laugh. "It can certainly see well enough!"
    Mudoru muses, "The obnoxious mage might actually have a point. I guess even a lame dretch can catch a soul once in a while..."

Licht listens for a while, then tactfully translates, "That...might be a decent idea, Archibald. Oh, uh, Ironfist, Archibald Ironfist. I...doubt the creature will be intentionally cooperative, but we can probably learn a lot about it by trying to communicate. Does it prefer to play mind games with its prey or just scare and attack, if it is more devi-...uh, lawful or chaotic, it might even betray some of its knowledge and abilities to us, or even why it's spending time watching us. Actually, that last reason is probably because it's scouting or observing us and our abilities. Maybe we should block its view?"

"No, no, I don't think it's denoting this door as the fourth in a set... I think it might be a reference to The Four." He explains, pausing a brief moment to see if there was an air of recognition from any of his companions before elaborating. "A group of quite powerful sorcerers is fabled to have made their headquarters deep in the Delve, calling themselves The Mages Four."

He shoots another worried glance at the creature and then focuses his attention on the stylized symbol for the door. "They supposedly used the symbol Vrarr as their calling card. But...that would have been going on near a millennium ago now... these markings and door look quite recent."
    "Could the mark on the door be magically self renewing or sustaining? Actually, better question: do you think the Mages Four were responsible for the creation of the tube? If so, why?" Licht hesitates for a moment, then adds, "Um, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I have to ask, did the Mages Four have a reputation as good guys or...not so good guys?"

"Aaron. I have a suggestion going forwards. Whenever there is room to do so, it would behoove yourself (and most likely Hopton) to leave a gap in your ranks to permit the use of my magic. I would simply hate accidentally catching one of you in my flames..."
    "Uh, I should probably state now that when transformed I can better withstand fire than most. Not extraordinarily well, it would still hurt and I would prefer you not hitting me with flames, but if it is necessary I can withstand some heat. Actually, now might be a good time for me to transform for battle. But, um, I'd rather not do it in here, where the creature can see what I'm doing. If it's all right with you, I'd like to go back to the warthog...I mean, uh, lion room and change there. Any of you are welcome to watch me if you'd like, I'd just prefer that, well, that thing doesn't."

Licht starts for the door, then hesitates and says to the others, "Also, my combat form looks a bit...monstrous. It's still me though, so please don't attack me on sight."

Licht heads out of the room, just far enough to be out of sight of the creature. He promptly falls to his knees and clasps his iron holy symbol in both hands. Head bowed and eyes closed, he prays in celestial:

Spoiler: Prayer
    Show
    డాన్ యొక్క ఎప్పుడూ ప్రకాశవంతమైన దేవత నేను మీరు మీ దయ మరియు సదుపాయం కోసం నా మీద ఈ రోజు మీరు ప్రతి రోజు అందిస్తాయి ధన్యవాదాలు నేను మీ దయ మరియు అవగాహన నిత్య కృతజ్ఞత వద్ద కూడా నేను నాశనం తీసుకుని మరియు నా రక్తంలో డెవిల్స్ పాల్పడకుండా మీ సహాయంతో నీతి మార్గం నడవడానికి ఉండవచ్చు జన్మించాడు నేను చెడు అవినీతికి మీరు స్టీల్ నా మనస్సు గుండె మరియు ఆత్మ అడగండి మరియు మీ జ్ఞానం నా మార్గం మార్గనిర్దేశం చేసే నేను చీకటి వ్యతిరేకంగా ఒక కవచం లోకి కాంతి వ్యతిరేకంగా ఒక ఆయుధం పరిగణించబడుతున్న చెయ్యడానికి మీ దయ మరియు న్యాయం యొక్క సాధనంగా ఉండవచ్చు ఇప్పుడు నా ప్రాణము రంధ్రాలు మరియు బానిస స్పాన్ నేను మీ బలం నాకు హెల్ యొక్క శక్తి హెవెన్ కారణం సేవించునట్లు పిలువు

Spoiler: Celestial translation
    Show
    Ever-bright goddess of the dawn, I thank you for your grace and provision upon me this day, as you provide every day. I am eternally grateful to your mercy and understanding, that even I, born to bring destruction and with the taint of devils in my blood, may walk the path of righteousness with your aid. I ask that you steel my mind, heart, and soul from the corruption of evil, and that your wisdom will guide my path. May I be an instrument of your compassion and justice, turning what was to be a weapon against the light into a shield against the darkness. Now spawn of the pits and slave to my soul, I summon your strength to me, that the power of Hell may serve the cause of Heaven.

As soon as the prayer finishes, Licht's tattoos seem to flow like crimson rivers of lava, and from them a charcoal-like hide grows to coat his entire body. Licht grimaces as his fusion with the fiend twists and deforms his body; his muscles swell grotesquely, his frame painfully grows much taller, his hair fuses into clumps of blood-red tendrils, his hands become disproportionately large talons, and his mouth elongates and fills with dagger-like teeth. Licht stands up more gracefully than his new form would imply, and his eyes open to reveal to two smoldering pits.

He tentatively walks back into the room, trying as best he can to move in a non-threatening manner. In a voice now deep and gravely he says, "I am ready to proceed."

Show
    Performing one minute ritual to summon eidolon. Licht gains:
    • Temporary Hitpoints: 9
    • Strength: 16
    • Dex: 12
    • Con: 13
    • BAB: +1
    • Natural AC: +4
    • Fire Resistance 5
    • Bluff +8
    • Bite 1d6
    • 2 Claws 1d4

Spoiler: Also, as long as he's fused he uses this picture as his portrait
    Show

Why yes, my avatar is a gelatinous cube swashbuckler. It is from the excellent webcomic Rusty and Co.

I'm two magic items!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quinn works for a few seconds at the south-eastern door, but while the lock is within his talents, it also is non-trivial and will probably take more effort to unlock.

Show
    I'm delaying a little bit to let Hopton catch up and get a post in, I know he's been busy this weekend. He's the only one who hit the high perception check and I want to give you guys a chance to know all your options before we advance through one of them.

Also, the lock Quinn is working on would require a pretty high roll from him, so you guys are probably looking at taking 20, spending 2 minutes. If Licht is going to transform, that takes a minute anyway and I don't think there are any effects going right now that require time anyway. Just means two minutes of being anxious in the open.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

"Both the symbol and the door look to be quite recent." Quinn pointed out any key places along the door that may help emphasize his point. "I honestly wouldn't have even an inkling if they might still be around. Though I must say I'm not a fan of riddles I can't solve and this is the second room of this wing so far to offer up just that. In fact, this is the second mysterious door barring our way as well."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Actually, that last reason is probably because it's scouting or observing us and our abilities
    Archie waved a dismissive hand at Licht's stammering, still pleased from the tiefling's praise. "Just Archibald is fine for now. You raise a good point... we must be cautious that we do not tip our hand to the abomination. There is no telling just how well, if at all, that thing is imprisoned. In addition, I do not see a way to block it's view in a manner more efficient than simply moving to another room."

when transformed I can better withstand fire than most.
    This elicts a raised eyebrow and a chuckle from Archie. "That sounds useful, assuredly! I promise not to take advantage of it too much."

At Licht's invitation, Archibald is all to glad to observe his ritual; partly out of occupational curiosity, partly to get a better look at Licht's tattoos, and partly out of a sense of duty to watch his back. The nervous, stammering man was quickly growing on Archie; that Licht also seemed to possess a sharp mind helped.

The summoning ritual puzzled Archibald greatly.

That is not a magical chant... sounds almost devotional. The language is odd too, though pleasing to the ear.

At the ritual's culmination, Archibald actually steps nearer to Licht's new form. "Marvelous! A great force of magic, bound and directed into physical power... As I understand it, such a polymorph would be very draining. How long can you maintain it?"

The glowing lines of magic crossing Licht's form drew Archibald's eyes. I see. Similar, yet not. If only I had my master's notes, I could decipher it... A masterful creation in any case.

Archibald steps back as Licht stands, giving the now bulkier form some space. He looks upon the changed tiefling with a newfound respect... and envy.

18. - Top - End - #228

Archibald's open admiration of the form makes Licht distinctly uncomfortable. True, the power is quite, well, powerful, but it is also distinctly fiendish, even if Licht was trying to pass it off as a simple polymorph. How could anyone express such fascination in the infernal powers when they were accompanied with such evil and cost? Of course, Licht knew he really had no right to judge, since like it or not he is actually using it himself, not just showing a craftsman's curiosity.

Archibald's question about how long he can maintain it does give him pause. He'd always summoned the power for exactly as long as it was needed, then either dismissed it the moment it was not or had it forcibly stripped from him by too much damage. He grudgingly asks Mudoru, "Mudoru, how long can I maintain this power?"

"For as long as you consciously desire it, my host. The fiery might of Hell does not dim easily."

Licht shivers, causing a slight grating sound as his hardened hide rubs against itself. He answers Archibald, "Well, theoretically, I think I can maintain it until I stop focusing on it, though if I take too much damage it will ruin my both my body and mind too much to keep it up. However, I, well, generally don't like keeping it up all the time. Most people don't react as, ah, scholarly as you do, not to mention it is rather...uncomfortable to maintain."

I'm two magic items!

19. - Top - End - #229

NecromancerGuy

In spite of his earlier acceptance of the newcomer, Aaron's expression turns to one of horror and disgust as Licht takes on his devilish skin. "If I had not given my word to trust you first, we would be at blows right now..." he says to Licht, his eyes watchful. "I have seen forms such as that in Cheliax, too often. Frequently they were summoned for grisly or heinous rituals of the Church there - take care that you do not inspire more memories of the like." Aaron then moves up behind Quinn, waiting for the door to be unlocked.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Hopton stumbles, unbalanced by the unexpected and forceful resistance to his blade. The blade clatters noisily as he catches himself on all-fours, turning quickly with a look of undisguised hatred towards the eerie beast. As it demonstrates nothing resembling capability for pursuing the diminutive swashbuckler, he rises, indignantly brushing dust from his knees and hands. "Stupid magic wall," he mumbles- alongside more incoherent complaints and derision.

"Oh, hey! Did you guys see this? Uhh, guys?" At this point, Hopton realizes that their newfound companion and Archie have left the room, Quinn appears enamored with yonder door's keyhole, and Aaron's distinctly discomfited pacing draws attention to the nobleman's impatience. With no one paying him immediate attention, Hopton begins to fiddle with the stone, carefully prodding around to see what it might be connected to. He waits, more patiently than Aaron (though that's not saying all that much), until Licht and Archie return. Hopton's eyes widen at Licht's entrance, and he stammers a "Ye-yeah... I, for one, am glad you made your introduction before. Anyway, uhhh... come look here!"

He points resolutely to the floor, indicating the loose stone and the switch to which it attaches.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The rock Hopton points to is loose, and with very close examining it appears to be attached to some sort of cord. Pulling it will likely act as a switch. There isn't any clear sign of a trap there.

When Licht moves back into the room the central eye focuses on him with an intense gaze, leaving the eyestalks to watch the others.

Finally, Quinn is able to pop the lock, only the door doesn't wait for someone to open it and takes the initiative on its own. As soon as the last latch clicks into place, the door swings wide caught by a powerful wind, hard enough to send the archaeologist skittering onto his back. What was a dull sound through the door, inexplicably appears to be a full blizzard within the next room. You can only see a few feet within as flurries of snow fall sideways on gale force winds. The door swings hard on its hinges, bashing against the stone wall next to it with loud crashes.

Show
    Alright folks, this next room has a number of challenges to it and may be something you guys will want to purposefully prepare for before tackling it.

Things that are immediately obvious:
    • Snow is thick enough you can only see 5ft, winds are loud enough you won't be able to hear each other
    • Winds are hard enough you would have to fight to keep your feet(it does seem to be blowing west, so you could follow that wall, but you'd be plastered to it)
    • Its cold. Enough so that it will likely be damaging if unprepared.
    • The door looks like it will lock itself when closed, but may put up a fight to get it that way and quiet it down

To pre-answer some expected questions, you can stay against the west wall or secure yourself and move at half-speed with acrobatics checks, but that will come at some risk. The wind looks like it will blow you around pretty hard. You can crawl to negate most of those risks, but then you are suffering the cold without knowing how far you need to go, or if there is a door opposite you are missing, ect and are basically swimming through snow.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Aaron's proclamation at Licht's return brings a smirk to Archibald's lips. As tightly wound as he is, it's a wonder he didn't just stab Licht and be done with it. As it is, if this monstrous form is as strong as it looks, Licht will earn his keep quickly enough.

Hopton seemed to be wanting attention again, so Archibald made his way over. He suppressed a shudder as the route brought him near the thing in the pillar; at least fewer eyes were on him this time. On a whim, Archibald attempts to black out a patch of tube with a simple prestidigitation; more out of an idle curiosity than an expectation it would work.

The sudden slam of the door and howling winds make Archie jump out of his skin. The sudden blizzard takes precedence, so he hurries over to offer assistance.

"For once, I'd like there to be something sane behind a door down here!"

(if people are trying to close the door, Archie will assist if needed, else: )

Archibald frowns at the absurdity beyond the door. He hesitantly puts forth his mace; when he pulls it back a few moments later it is ice-cold and caked with snow.

"If that is an illusion, it is a very convincing one. Unless one of you have been hording coats, or know a suitable spell, we will have to seek another route."
    Last edited by Harhoult; 2016-10-03 at 08:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Licht averts his eyes from Aaron, both ashamed and somewhat relieved that Aaron and Hopton have a more normal perspective of this than Archie does. "I've...never been to Cheliax, but I know of them and will try to with all my soul to follow the guidance of Sarenrae, not Asmodeus."

Licht jumps when the howling winds and cold erupt from the door, certainly not expecting, well, that. Mudoru says, The creature. What is the creature's reaction to the door? Turn now."

In spite of himself, Licht spins around to see how the creature reacted to what was on the other side of the door, whether it was surprised, amused, or some other emotion. After gauging this, he turns back to the group and tentatively raises a claw.

"Um, if I may ask, does anyone here have magic that will let us endure the cold more comfortably? I do not, but if no one else can either, there are priests and a wizard back in town who could probably sell us such an item."

I'm two magic items!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

Quinn scampers away from the howling storm and composes himself once more--standing and straightening his armor and pack. "Well, that path is off the list for now I think." He says with a tone somewhere between disappointment and sarcasm. "I'm afraid I dont have much in the ways of assisting there. We still have other options in regards of unexplored rooms and can always come back when better prepard."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The creature, for its part, doesn't seem shocked by the sudden flow of snow. It does seem endlessly amused by the display being put on, even inaudibly its laughter is cruel. When Licht watches it, it stares back and there is a coldness in its gaze that seems to trump that of the blizzard.

(Assuming) a few people put their shoulders to it, you are able to push the door closed again with some effort and get a feel for just how strong the wind within that room is. Even from outside, it feels like its trying to pull you off your feet and send you flying. Once the door slides back into its frame, the lock clicks back sealed again.

Show
    It sounded like most of the party was veering away from trying their hand at the blizzard for now, so I made a bit of a presumption there.

Sounds like the current options are:

• Try the stone Hopton found
    • Check the door north of the lions
    • Check the trapdoor
    • Check the stairs north of the main entrance
    • Or of course go back to town and rest/study/equip

Mysteries you know of involve the bluesteel door, what is beyond the blizzard, and what happens if you use the fountain, and the tube.
    Last edited by Richter; 2016-10-04 at 11:04 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236

NecromancerGuy

Aaron is breathing heavily and rubbing his hands together after the party finally gets the door closed again. "What manner of sorcery is that?" he asks, exasperated. "I knew the Delve was home to magic, but this is on a whole new level! I can hardly imagine how one would conjure and contain such power!" Shaking his head, the nobleman turns his back to the door to see the abomination still chortling at the party. With an ugly look and gesture he turns back to the party and says, "We cannot proceed that way without better preparation...Hopton found a lever a moment ago. Let's look at that next."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

"What if it releases the beast?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"So what if it does? The beast will parley with us or perish. Such does it mean to subjugate this Delve; we cannot quake before every door, switch, and lever! Every move we make carries a risk, we accepted that when we set foot on this hill. Regarding this particular device, I, for various reasons I needn't elaborate, do not believe that freeing this beast is the lever's purpose. Though if it makes you feel better, dear Quinn, I will prepare for that unlikely event."

With that said, Archibald takes a position by the pillar to catch the beast in a spell, should the lever indeed free it.

29. - Top - End - #239

Licht bristles at the gaze and purposely turns his back on the beast, both to avoid looking at it and so it cannot see his mouth. "Um, if I may. The beast did not seem to be surprised by what was on the other side of the door. It instead was amused by our reaction. I believe that the beast is quite familiar with this room at least, and that it sees no need to hide its reactions or emotions from us. Perhaps we can trick it into revealing whether or not the lever will release it, or even what it does. One of us, perhaps Hopton, makes as if to walk over and throw the lever with no precautions while the rest of us are scattered around the room keeping an eye on the beast and Hopton. Hopton goes as if to flip the lever but stops at the last second, the rest of us observe what the beast's reaction is. If its reacts eagerly and ready to fight, we know it will probably release the beast. If it instead seems amused and looks to be paying attention to a particular area or one of us more than usual, we can guess where in the room the lever will take affect. Also, maybe we should try not to let the beast see our mouths when we talk? It might not be able to hear us, but we don't know if it can read our lips."

I'm two magic items!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

"We'll, I meant more of 'What's our plan in case it does' rather than 'We shouldn't in case it does.'..." Quinn remarks at Archibald's drawn out comments about quaking before levers and doors.

He readies his bow and watches the creature and it's responsestill to what was about to happen.