New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Local Speakeasy: Home Brewing 3.X Voting Thread II: The Wild Side

Welcome one and all to the voting thread for the Local Speakeasy: Home Brewing 3.X Competition II: The Wild Side. Voting will consist of each voter giving a first, a second, and a third place vote, as well as a vote for the categories of Most Original, Most Likely to See Play, and Best Use of Theme. Anyone can vote, and in fact, entrants must vote to qualify for victory.

A first place vote is worth three points, a second place vote is worth two points, and a third place vote is worth one point. Votes for the three other categories are each worth 1 point in their category. You may not vote for your own entry.

You are encouraged to include reason with your votes, though this is not absolutely required.

The entry that ends up with the most points wins the contest, and each category goes to the entry with the most votes in it.. Voting starts now and will continue until 11:59pm (Eastern Standard Time USA/Canada; GMT-5) on August 31st.

Entry Creator 1st 2nd 3rd Total Points Most Original Most Likely to See Play Best Use of Theme
    Wild Flight Heritage (Feats) LordOfCain 1 0 2 5 1 1 1
    The Wild (ruleset) Jormengand 2 2 0 10 1 2 4
    Lizardfolk (Race) Libro 2 1 1 9 1 1 0
    Wild Magic Surge (Feat) sengmeng 0 1 1 3 2 1 0
    Hermitic Monk (Archetype/ACF) Oblivimancer 1 2 1 9 1 1 1

1st Place: Jormengand

2nd Place: Libro and Oblivimancer

Most Original: sengmeng

MLTSP: Jormengand

Best in Theme: Jormengand

Voting thread based upon Zaydos's Ancillary Contest voting thread.
    Last edited by ShiningStarling; 2016-09-01 at 11:24 AM.

I believe that the darkness reminds us what light can be

My Extended Homebrew Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Local Speakeasy: Home Brewing 3.X Voting Thread II: The Wild Side

1st, Most Original, Most Likely to See Play, Best Use of Theme: The Wild (Jormengand)
    I found this to be unique and well-thought-out. It is a good tool for DMs in certain types of campaigns and I could see myself using these rules.

2nd: Lizardfolk (Libro)
    These are balanced and playable, if a bit bland. Everything in the entry is straightforward and sensible.

3rd: Hermitic Monk (Olivimancer)
    It seems balanced and fun, but it also no longer feels like a monk.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Local Speakeasy: Home Brewing 3.X Voting Thread II: The Wild Side

The Wild (Jormengand) has my first place vote, my Most Likely to see play vote, and Best in Theme. That's just some solid work and the extra rule with the movement in unearthly heat brought to mind many fun cinematic moments that makes shelter actually worth it but also not to intrusive to the game.

The Hermitic Monk ACF (Oblivimancer) has my second place and Most original votes. I rather enjoy the imagery it conjured and it's fairly fun sounding.

Finally, my third place vote goes to The Lizardfolk write up by Libro. I love the way they shaved off the LA by converting those goodies into feats and the Scout substitution levels are fun and straightforward in promoting the fighting style presented.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

1) Hermitic Monk by Oblivimancer.
    Having read this, I can't help but think of Rafiki from Disney's The Lion King, near the end where he opens a can of whoop on the hyenas.

2) The Wild ruleset by Jormengand.
    It's a well-crafted ruleset for the wilderness, and perfect for exploration.

3) Wild Flight Heritage feats by LordOfCain
    They are simple, easy to understand, and well-balanced enough that I'd use or allow them to be used in a game without a second thought.

Most Original: Wild Magic Surge feat by sengmeng
    Best Use of Theme: The Wild ruleset by Jormengand
    Most Likely to See Play: Wild Flight Heritage feats by LordOfCain.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

1) Lizardfolk (by Libro)

I like lizardfolk and LA +0 lizardfolk is a plus. While I'd be leery about the +3 nat armor feat other than that it looks fine.

2) The Hermetic Monk (by Oblivimancer).

I like this. It's almost identical to Dragon Magazine's Wild Shape Monk (issue 324) but better designed (Handle Animal and Wild Empathy are added, Wild Shape uses Druid progression and gains Ki Strike, no Lawful Neutral alignment requirement, and it doesn't read like it was nailed together at random).

3) Wild Flight Feats (by LordofCain)

I can't actually tell if this is supposed to be a nerf compared to say Aberration Wings or a buff, but I'd note that you rarely have to fly more than 1 minute consecutively.

Most Original: Wild Magic Surge (sengmeng).
    Most Likely to See Play: Lizardfolk (Libro). While I'd allow the hermetic monk, I feel more like... people want to play lizardfolk, right?
    Best Use of Theme: The Hermetic Monk (by Oblivimancer)
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

1st: Lizardfolk, for those crispy sub levels :D

2nd: The Wild, for many reasons, including the nice healing spell that could give a lot of suffering characters hope

3rd: Wild Magic Surge, cause its pretty neato :3

Most Original: Lizardfolk
    MLTSP: Wild Magic Surge
    Best of Theme: The Wild

Votes Tallied, one week left to vote!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Sorry for voting late. Oops.

If you're still counting, Wild Flight Heritage, Wild Magic Surge and Hermitic Monk in that order, voting WFH for Most original, Hermitic Monk for MLtSP and Wild Flight Heritage for best use of theme.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Cutting it close, but eh, why the heck not.

Votes tallied, polls closed. 'grats on the win Jorm :3
    Last edited by ShiningStarling; 2016-09-01 at 11:25 AM.