New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Indosira: A Bold Beginning

Once the voices fade, Worm once again faces the princes and the rest of the group. Motioning them close, she says in a whisper, "There are two - people or things - torturing someone or something that's caged up. They don't sound like they'd be very friendly, some talk of 'blood pits' and general nastiness." She drew in a deep breath, unsure of the reception of the plan she was about to set forth.

"I think that maybe if we got the drop on them we could be in an ok position, since there's six of us, and if someone can get through and let out whoever's locked up, I bet he'd be more than glad to help us get rid of them. We gotta figure that whatever's up ahead got into this cave somehow, so if there's a way out it's probably through 'em."
    What a fun, sexy time for you!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Shalana

"We can't guarentee that the prisoner will know the way out, do we want to try and take the other ones prisoner?"

Shalana asked the question but the thought of battle was harrowing at best, she still felt deathly sick from the portal. Suprise would probably win them the day though, so she had no real complaints.
    Last edited by Valairn; 2007-08-19 at 11:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Dacin

Dacin shrugged. Fighting hadn't gotten them very far against the dwarves...running had. But if the rest of the group was certain of the plan, he might as well go along with it.

For now.

He drew his dagger and waited for the warrior types to go in first. After all, they had armor and better weapons. If he saw a chance to strike, he'd take it, but mostly he planned to stay back and out of the way where it was safe.

Or at least safer.

He bowed to Raite and Octavious, "After you, gentlemen."
    Shaolin Busboy of the Ninja Waitress Fan Club
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Cause if you're going to be a part of a meaningless organization, you might as well make it the MOST meaningless one available!! And anyway, if anime has taught me anything, its that female ninjas are hot!!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

Theron frowned as he adjusted his grip on the longsword. His voice was just a hair above a whisper. "We are in their home, I don't feel right about attacking them. Still, if they're torturing someone they can't be good people so we can't assume they'd treat us any differently." He studied the portion of the corridor ahead where the right wall opened into another chamber, the source of the sound evidently just beyond.

"Darien, do you think you can get a better look and tell us what we're dealing with? Room size, obstacles, what weapons they have?" The older prince turned to look over his brother. "I don't want to charge in there and find out there are actually two talkers and a bunch of mutes."

While he waited for Darien's response, he slid the shortsword from his belt and held it out to Shalana. "A bit more reach than a dagger if you know how to swing it. Perhaps that knife could be useful to Worm." He set his eyes on the apprentice as he said it. "It's better to have steel in your hand...just in case."

The time spent waiting for Cross' return had done you all some good. The bubbling in your stomachs and aching muscles had calmed significantly, allowing easier movement.

( Those who were nauseated are now sickened. Those who were sickened are now free of penalties. )
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2007-08-23 at 03:14 PM.
    "Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chants out between two worlds
    fire...walk with me." -- Twin Peaks

"I have emerged from the place of
    spells and fairies!" -- Bender, 'Futurama'

5. - Top - End - #155

Shalana

Shalana's eyes gleamed at the sight of a real weapon handed to her. She bowed traditionally before taking the sword, "Thank you". Turning on her heel she flipped the dagger from hilt to blade in her hand and held it out open handed to Worm.

"If you don't know how to use this, just wait till they show their back to you and drive it into the first open flesh you see. I'm sorry it isn't a very pretty request, but I have faith in you."

With that she held her shortsword backwards across her arm and changed her stance slightly, but did not fall completely into it, waiting for information from Darien.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Worm ducks her head, suddenly very interested in the scuffing and fraying of her worn slippers, when Theron turns his eyes to her, and she slumps forward a bit to take the dagger, holding it between her fingers as thought it were a living snake. Tucking in her belt, she mumbles, "Thanks, I s'ppose."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Banned

Prince Darien

Darien nodded, then stretched, flexed, and shook his limbs loose. He shifted one knee up and pulls a smaller knife from his boot, gripping the hilt so the flat of the blade pressed against the underside of his arm, hidden from view save from behind him, and--breathing shallow and steady--made his way forward. Dacin would likely recognize the way he moves as at the very least a pseudo-professional attempt at stealth, rather than a rank amateur's exaggerated tiptoeing.

(Incidentally, can we pick a tense? It's a little odd seeing past and present both. I prefer present, which most of us seem to be using, but DNF's using past, so we should probably do that.)
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2007-08-25 at 11:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158

As the group readies itself, Darien sets off towards the sounds. Careful steps carry him away from the group and those who follow his movements with their eyes can see him crouch beside the opening and peer around it.

Worm

The voices rise up again.

"Agi-sk will see you punished in the Mouring Hall!" The third voice cried out. The other two laugh in response, if you could call the sounds laughing. Their response is without mirth, however. Slightly edgy and hesitant even.

"Don't threaten us with your dead god. We'll send you to join him soon enough."

Darien

Inside is room furnished with three wooden cages, merely strips of wood set into the stone of the wall to form bars. The only light in the room comes from a low fire in a small pit in the corner, complete with small metal irons that are surely meant for torture. A table with a few unpleasent looking instruments with hooks and blades sits against the opposing wall. A few boxes sit against the walls as well, crude wood and thatch constructs. But your eyes are drawn most to the occupants, and what you see sets your skin to crawl.

They're not men, but neither are they animals. At first you think they may be monkeys, strange beasts you've seen brought in from K'a Evis, but they're movements and appearance differ too greatly. They stand no taller than a gnome, a tangle of wiry limbs and bony joints. In the dim illumination you can make out clothing, though it's ragged, draped across their tiny frames. Their heads seem a fraction too large, their their eyes bulbous and mouths wide. Their skin, whatever color it may actually be, seems mottled and thick. The two creatures stand on your side of the cage bars, one jabbing into the cage with a sharp stick at a third figure, this one smaller than the others and altogether different. It's face looks to be canine with beady eyes and leathery skin. It's clothing is in tatters, burned in some places, and it swats at the stick angrily while yipping at the aggressors. There is another opening on the wall to your left, the one on which the table is set, but there appears to be no other occupants.

( Actually, you'll find that I'm switching between tenses throughout the game. An unfortunate habit of mine, I'm afraid. I am attempting to post in present but there will be times when I have neither the time nor the inclination to go back and convert where I swapped over. )

9. - Top - End - #159
    Banned

Slowly, Darien pulls back from the corner, and makes his way no less carefully back to the rest of the group.
    "Two, and one in the cage," he confirms. "I have no idea what they are--human-like, short, strange-looking. The thing in the cage is like a dog crossed with a scaly monkey, frankly. There's an exit from the chamber, though, so more could well come... maybe we ought to lure one out and jump it."
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2007-08-26 at 05:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Dacin

Dacin bowed towards the brother princes, his voice quiet "If I may make a suggestion, milords? We have but two ways forward, through the water or through the...creatures. Whatever they are, they've shown themselves to be cruel to the thing in the cage, and we cannot expect them to do differently to us. More, they may have friends...friends who may come if we give them time to call. If we are determined not to swim, then we should strike swiftly and with surprise while we still have it. Kill the tormentors and free the thing in the cage, and we will have the information we need."

"But milords, we must move swiftly or risk discovery and having to face the wretched prospect of exchanging one pursuit for another."
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Cause if you're going to be a part of a meaningless organization, you might as well make it the MOST meaningless one available!! And anyway, if anime has taught me anything, its that female ninjas are hot!!

11. - Top - End - #161

Shalana

"I agree with Dacin. We must move in quietly and end them just as quietly. Though I am particularly loathe to kill people we do not know, by their behavior I don't think they would be inviting. But we must move quickly. I doubt they expect us."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned

"I suppose they're just as likely to raise the alarm as be lured out. All right--quick and clean, let's do this."

His expression is inscrutable, his mouth a thin line. Darien inhales, and his side-sword whispers free of its leather sheath; he holds it with the point down and towards the floor, knuckles white.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Worm seems distinctly ill at ease with this plan, and she rubs her forearms anxiously. She was glad they seemed ready to go, but she didn't mean that they should rush in and start racking up a body count.

"Alright, but maybe we don't have to try to kill them. I kinda meant just, you know, knocking 'em in the head so they fall asleep." Pulling a dart from her sleeve, she prepares to follow the others.

14. - Top - End - #164

Planetar

Raite

Raite adjusts his grip on the hilt of his sword and moves towards the front of the group in order to be the first into the chamber. Once in position he looks back towards Prince Theron, his face set in a grim expression, though the perceptive may have noticed a brief flicker of what could only be called fear before he was able to mask his emotions.

15. - Top - End - #165

Shalana

Shalana moved up towards Raite, her demeanor suddenly all business. Turning back towards Worm she said, "If you don't want to fight no one will make you, but as a whole we are all inexperienced in combat, we cannot afford to play nice, because they may be much better trained than us, we must press our advantage now and hope suprise wins us the fight."

Shalana grew frustrated, today was certainly turning into a fine cup of tea.

16. - Top - End - #166

"A blow to the head is likely to result in death." Theron states, his voice even as he looked over the group. "Do what you have to do, but don't kill them if they don't pose a threat." He gives a nod to Raite, and steps towards the opening. The room comes into view for the group as a whole, the two creatures still standing beside the makeshift cages. One of them catches sight of Raite and it's eyes widen, reflecting yellow in the light of the torches, clearly suprised by their sudden appearance. The caged creature doesn't appear to be quite as taken aback and he lowers into a crouch in the corner.

( Initiatives and actions, please. Your opponents are suprised. Everyone can take a standard action during the suprise round. )
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2007-08-28 at 02:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

Planetar

Raite

Some of Raite's military training asserts itself and the young Vigilant issues a quick command to the group, "Block the other passage so they can't run," and then advances on the nearest creature, attempting to look as intimidating as his large size allows. Upon reaching the creature, Raite holds his sword to it's chest and motions that it should get down on the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Init: (1d20+2)[18]
    Intimidate: (1d20+1)[11]
    If the creature tries to escape or makes any remotely threatening moves, Raite will attack to kill.
    To hit: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[12]
    Last edited by ajw79; 2007-08-29 at 05:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Shalana

Shalana heard the order from Raite and responded without thinking, she sprinted to the other opening doing her best to keep herself from becoming vulnerable. She turned her back to the opening and readied her sword dropping completely into a fighting stance.

Her mind had become completley quiet and she was ready for all comers.

((If either of the creatures approaches, she attacks.))

Last edited by Valairn; 2007-08-28 at 07:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Dacin

Dacin skulked. In truth, there wasn't much else he was either willing or able to do. Between his small size, lack of armor, and tiny dagger, he was at total disadvantage in any kind of battle with the creatures and he knew it. Instead, he moved as quietly as he could around the periphery of the chamber, hoping to escape notice until the opportunity to do something decisive presented itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[18]
    Hide - (1d20+3)[9]
    Move Silently - (1d20+3)[22]
    Last edited by jng2058; 2007-08-28 at 10:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

The scholarly girl's initial instinct is to gaze in wonder at these new and fascinating creatures - imagine, not one, but two humanoid, sentient races unknown to the population at large! However, the urgency of the situaiton is too great to ignore, and she hopes that they are able to make it through this without fatalities with so much to be learned here.

Instead, she takes off running along the cave wall and toward the cages, ducking down and crouching near the structures.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Banned

Blade in one hand, knife in the other, Darien rushes in; he levels his slender sword with a visibly trembling hand, and moves carefully around, looking for all the world like he's not sure whether he wants to be involved, and has little idea of what to do with his weapon, to boot. However, his nervous path takes him past and behind one of the creatures, and he indicates with a quick jerk of his head that someone should take up the flanking position.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[15]
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2007-08-29 at 07:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172

Octavius takes position by the door you entered, watching down the tunnel. Darien ends up behind the creature that Raite bears down on, pinning it between them. Raite's gesture with the oversized blade seems to be enough to freeze the creature in place, only the slight shaking of limbs there to evidence it's being alive. Shalana reaches the opposing door and drops into a stance there, catching the sound of growling from somewhere beyond it. Theron approached the second creature as it turned the sharpened stick on him defensively.

The caged beast then lunged forward, wrapping its arms around the face of its tormentor, clamping one over the mouth to muffle its cries. It struggled against the grip, losing its hold on the stick and sending it rolling across the room. The caged creature narrowed red eyes on the group around it and the words it spoke were a broken and unevenly pitched type of Spine-Speak.

"You...Talls...kill them...they will bring more"

( You have effectively concluded the initiative phase. You may now act in any order. Sorry for the delay. I've had a crazy week. My attempts to contact WillH have met with no response. I'll write him out if he doesn't respond by next week. )
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2007-09-04 at 05:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Shalana

Shalana jumps and spins around to the sound of the growling. She attempts to peer down the way to see if she can see anything. Leaning over her shoulder she speaks loudly without shouting, "There is something or someone over here."

She slightly adjusts the way she is standing to see both down the hall and toward the direction of the battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20)[18]
    Last edited by Valairn; 2007-09-05 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Edited to be uniformly in present tense

24. - Top - End - #174
    Banned

Prince Darien

The younger prince steps in, and makes what appears to be a wild thrust with a shaking hand, missing wildly--but then his side-sword pulls back and flicks around in a circular motion; the facade drops, his hand firm, and the weapon's point pierces skin and flesh as Darien performs a smooth, short lunge; he swivels and one leg snaps out and forward, though not far enough to endanger him, and then pushes back, restoring him to his stance, blade-tip crimson.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack, with flanking: 1d20+6=23 for 1d6-1=4 points of damage.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Dacin

Dacin took in the scene and weighed his options. Theron was hanging out there on his own against one of the creatures, and if something unfortunate happened to him then Dacin'd be that much closer to a big payday.

On the other hand...

He thought a bit more. If these creatures lived long enough to summon help, the whole bag of gold probably wouldn't help him any, and if they didn't kill them quickly then that help was likely going to come. There was only so much noise they could make before someone realized it was more than just the usual torture screams coming from here, torture chamber or no, so they HAD to be quick.

He glanced at Shalana and Octavius and Worm and sighed. Two of them were busy guarding exits and the third was of even less use in combat than he was. There really was no better choice right now.

Well, he thought, at least the thing's back is turned....

Dacin slipped up behind the one that Theron was facing and stabbed hard with his dagger, aiming for the creature's kidneys....or at least where the kidneys ought to be in a person.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently - (1d20+3)[20]
    Attack - (1d20+1)[16]
    Damage - (1d4+1)[2]
    Last edited by jng2058; 2007-09-05 at 09:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Planetar

Raite

Seeing the younger prince attack, Raite realizes the group is commited to a fight. The young warrior wastes no time engaging the creature he is facing, hoping the fight is over quickly and quietly.

Spoiler
    Show
    To hit: (1d20+3)[13]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[12]
    Last edited by ajw79; 2007-09-06 at 09:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Stoppit! Worm shouts as the melee erupts, clutching her hands to the side of her head with a look of panic. "They wasn't even threatening! What happened to not killing unless we have to?!"

Her words are too late, and she covers her mouth to muffle a soft scream, looking wide-eyed at the creature in the cage.

28. - Top - End - #178

It's a blur of motion, the sounds battling one another for supremecy in the cramped chamber. Darien's thrust bites deep into the creature's back, causing it to go rigid and then limp. Before it can fall, however, the Vigilant's greatsword cleaves through muscle and bone. An arm falls loose from the body which follows the force of the weapon and sails through the air to impact against he wall with a sickening crunch. Blood splatters the young prince's chest, droplets streaking his forehead and cheeks, but the creature lies still as the pool of gore around it spreads.

The second creature, held against the cage bars, makes for an easy target for Dacin. The page struggles through his own weariness to drive his dagger into the creatures side, unable to reach the back. The knife comes away bloody and the pain causes the beast to crumple forward, tearing free of the grapple and sprawling out on the floor of the cave. It drags itself forward, wounded but alive, its yellow eyes wide with panic and brimming with tears. The grating noise that comes out of its mouth is a cry of anguish, followed by words that sound like grunts to all but Worm.

"Tak...Tak, get up!"

Worm's shouts hang in the air as the creature struggles towards it's fallen companion. Theron's eyes are wide as well, his face tightening in disgust. He reaches down and pulls the creature up by its thread-bare shirt, clasping an arm around it and sweeping the sword around the room. The creature hangs limp, gasping in ragged breaths.

"Donateur, hide your eyes." His words are whispered, rising then to address the group. "What have you done?" His eyes narrow. "A hand over the mouth never came to mind?"

The caged beast speaks up then, still in that high-pitched broken Spine-Speak. "Kill it...kill the other...do not be fooled..." Red eyes stare unwavering at the creature in Theron's grasp, scaled fingers gripping tight to the bars.

Shalana

The tunnel continues for several yards but fades into blackness without the aid of closer light. The growling continues, soft and muted, and the shuffling sounds of movement accompany it.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No, no," the apprentice mumbles, her face going pasty and white as the goblin ceases movement and blood begins to spread across the cave floor. She grabs her stomach as the metallic scent tinges her nostrils, and makes a dry, retching noise, but finds she has nothing to expel and wipes her mouth with the sleeve of her robe.

"Shut up!" she practically yells in Spine-Speak, frustration toward the caged creature obvious as he urges her companions to continue their attack. "You be quiet, ok? No more!"

Rounding back on the rest of the group, her voice thick and face covered in tears, she whimpers, "Why'd you do that? Sometimes people 'n animals are in cages for a reason." She eyes the prisoner cautiously, backing into the wall and attempting to keep herself as far from both the corpse and the red-eyed beast as possible. Pressing her palms to the cool stone, she tilts her head to the side a little.

"'Sname was Tak. They got names, just like us. Don't feel right..."
    Last edited by slapdash; 2007-09-08 at 03:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Dacin

With his victim subdued for the moment, Dacin stalked across the room towards Worm, the bloody dagger trembling in his hand from either rage or terror....or maybe both together. Seizing the collar of the page's robe with his free hand he dragged her back away from the scene, then whispered in a trembling voice, "Shut. Up." He leaned in closer, "Haven't you noticed what's gone on? How can you be so smart and so stupid all at once?! We've been DYING out here. Cross and almost all the Vigilants and all the Princess' guards...they're DEAD!"

He glared, his emerald bright eyes staring into Worm's unnatural purplish ones, "There were sixteen of us only a couple of hours ago, and there are only seven of us now! I know you want to be merciful, I know you think we might be able to talk to them, and maybe you even think that we're murderers for not trying harder....but we're doing what we must to stay alive!! We don't have time for mercy, and we can't take chances and hope that anyone else will be merciful either!! "

Dacin looked down at the bloody dagger in his hand as if seeing it for the very first time, trembled slightly, then his newly more elven features hardened into an angry mask, "What you need to do is stop screaming and drawing attention to us, and go over there and talk to that...that thing and find out what we need to know."

With that he released Worm's robe and stepped away from her with a look on his face that might have been anger, might have been disgust, and might...just might...have been pity and a little guilt.
    Last edited by jng2058; 2007-09-08 at 03:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show