New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Does the entangle status always have a save DC for breaking free?

Ok, this is what came up, my warmage got the bracers of entangling blast (MIC) and we played a few sessions with it setting the save DC equal to the spell save DC. However it bothered me, so i red the entangel description in PHB, and it does not mention anything about a save DC, nor does bracers of entangling blast...

p.s.: my warmage stocked up big time on UMD and anything that could cast parboil.

second question on that, the damage over time is spell level (+applicable modifiers like warmage edge) or just spell level?
    (this would mean a 4+int mod to int damage for 1+1d4 rounds, even higher when spell slots for widen become available.)
    D20 SRD:
    Identify

The spell determines all magic properties of a single magic item, including how to activate those functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if any).
    Arcane Material Component
    A pearl of at least 100 gp value, crushed and stirred into wine with an owl feather; the infusion must be drunk prior to spellcasting.
    What's the harm in giving this infusion sentience and weakness to poison?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Does the entangle status always have a save DC for breaking free?

It looks like there is indeed no recourse once a creature has been hit by the entangling blast, aside from waiting a little bit. Makes sense, given the rather short duration on the entangle and the downside of damage loss. However, there also isn't precisely a thing the creature would be breaking away from, in this case. In other words, because the entangle effect doesn't seem rooted to anything, the creature wouldn't be fully immobilized, and they'd instead only face the other debuffing effects. As for the other question, I don't think warmage's edge would work. It's not exactly the spell that's dealing damage, and, more importantly, edge adds its damage on cast, and the entangle is dealing the damage after the creature is already hit.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Not that I can find. The same applies to Entangling Exhalation, a staple DFA feat.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

so, yeah, we prolly did it wrong the first few sessions, gonna be a bitch to convince my DM.

and the second question, warmage edge states hit point damage, which is included in parboil (sandstorm) and that the INT mod is recurring for damage over time. The bracers say that they affect the spell, or better said, that they won't affect spells without damage.

I do see merit in calling the damage over time component a non hitpoint damage component, but RAW, it just says if the spell deals hit point damage, which is done at the first hit...
    D20 SRD:
    Identify

The spell determines all magic properties of a single magic item, including how to activate those functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if any).
    Arcane Material Component
    A pearl of at least 100 gp value, crushed and stirred into wine with an owl feather; the infusion must be drunk prior to spellcasting.
    What's the harm in giving this infusion sentience and weakness to poison?