New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Thrallherd IC [3.5, high speed]

Rex switched his internal power to healing, as they all gather the equipment. He then goes to both Grassis and Zrabhas and lays his hands on them, healing them as much as he can.

Spoiler
    Show

he'll lay on hands 12 hp each, putting them at:
    Grassis 38/48
    Zrabhas 38/50

Once done, he switches it back to enhance senses as usual. He mounts back up, sheathing his sword, "we should head out, get some distance from this fight before we rest for the day, just in case she is stupid enough to seek her own death."
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-08-31 at 01:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Joas

"I agree, Rex" Joas says. "One wonders, though, if it would not have been better to finish her off." He shrugs apologetically, realizing the statement might seem a tad blunt. "Who is to say she won´t be back tomorrow with new minions, perhaps ambushing travelers less talented than us. Moreover, she has seen us and knows where we´re heading. Probably not that important, but we do aim to travel unnoticed, not?" Joas is uninterested in the loot and mounts up. "Let´s get going."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

He turns his head sideways, almost dog like, as Joas talks and then smiles. "We could only be so lucky if she did gather new cohorts, perhaps she would ambush those who are inevitably following us?" He barks out loud, something you are all coming to find is either a laugh or angry noise. "What is done, is done, and out of our hands"
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-08-31 at 12:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Joas

Joas smiles: "Right....always look on the bright side, eh. Anyway, it is done, you´re right, no point in lingering on the matter."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Mounted again, you round the curve on your weary horses, and follow the trail for just a few more minutes before it opens out into a small, green bowl-shaped valley. A stream emerges from a hillside, feeding a three-acre pond that in turn feeds a small stream that meanders off through a crack on the eastern side of the hills. The rest of the bowl is lush and green, with soft soil and scattered trees. Bees buzz in the clover, and your horses act ready to stop, drink, and eat.

Spoiler
    Show

You only get 8 hours a day cross-country from a horse before it starts taking 1d6 lethal damage per hour. They can’t go any farther unless you want to have to heal them. Overland travel rules.

On the far side of the pond, you see a high-quality tent with its door flapping open in the wind, sitting a short walk away from a much cruder structure made of logs, sticks, and a couple of sheets of canvas.

The stream has a rock-filled ford area, and old ruts indicate that traders have, in fact, used this spring often in the past.

Approaching the tents cautiously, you find no traps or tricks. The ogres’ shelter seems untouched, although their crude pallets are smelly. The fine tent has several items knocked over; you suspect that the woman fled here, gathered some items in haste, and ran on. She left behind a small, heavy chest filled with a mish-mash of coins, as well as several other items that she must not have been able to carry.

Spoiler: more loot
    Show

Copper, silver, and gold coins totaling (7d100)[234] gold; most are silver coins.
    3 empty potion bottles (CLW)
    5 flasks of holy water
    2 tanglefoot bags
    Disguise kit
    1 set of banded mail barding for a horse
    Masterwork lance
    Half Plate +1
    Restful armor crystal
    Warhammer +1
    Composite Longbow (str+3)
    (4d20)[57] arrows
    Silver holy symbol
    Blessed Bandage
    Power stone of Skate (2 uses)
    Power stone of Body Purification (1 use)
    A small barrel of salt, for flavor (not worth a huge amount of gold)

Bones from several horses, two smashed carts, miscellaneous rain-damaged trade goods

You entered from the southeastern corner. Two roads lead out. One, to the northeast, has recent tracks, and appears to wind uphill. The other, going northwest, is broader (probably a cart-path), but has little sign of recent use, judging by the grass growing along it.

You will probably need to camp for the night before you can take your horses further.

Spoiler: questions
    Show

Where in the valley will you camp? Watch order?
    Which way will you go the next morning?
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Joas

"Well, there´s tents here, and this looks like a nice place to stay." He looks around a bit and returns to the same conclusion. "What do you say? The horses are worn, and I guess we are as well?". Joas is obvioulsy in favour of camping here. When rummaging through the loot his attention is drawn by two crystals. "Ohhhh...power stones...if noone else knows how to use them, I would like to have them.".

"I could use a full night´s sleep...don´t know about you? The last battle drained enough of my power....Maybe tomorrow we can head that way?" He points towards the less-traveled path.

Spoiler: Sleep
    Show
    I need 8 hours of rest, but if needed I can carry on on crippled PP reserve tomorrow.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grassis

"We should probably camp here" Grassis suggests. He wasn't happy the woman got away but his mood improved as they found the ogre's possessions. "I'll take first watch." he offers. He paused and thought for a moment. "We can really only push the horses for eight hours a day, given we have left an enemy alive out there, I wonder if we should run double look outs tonight."

Spoiler
    Show

Grassis will use 1 charge of his healing belt on each of himself, Zrabhas, RexThaun. For some reason I thought I had brought a wand of lesser vigor but looking at my sheet its totally not there. Guess we need to find or buy one along the way.

Grassis: (2d8)[15]
    Zrabhas: (2d8)[3]
    RexThaun: (2d8)[15]

Grassis will offer to carry the loot while we decide how to distrubute it since he has a Handy Haversack. (Except for the lance and barding - too heavy)

Loot:

amulet of natural armor +1
    3 empty potion bottles (CLW)
    5 flasks of holy water
    2 tanglefoot bags
    Disguise kit
    1 set of banded mail barding for a horse
    Masterwork lance
    Half Plate +1
    Restful armor crystal (Rex is likely the only one who can use this)
    Warhammer +1
    Composite Longbow (str+3) (No one is strong enough to use this)
    (4d20)[57] arrows
    Silver holy symbol
    Blessed Bandage
    Power stone of Skate (2 uses) (Joas ?)
    Power stone of Body Purification (1 use) (Joas ?)
    A small barrel of salt, for flavor (not worth a huge amount of gold)

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2016-08-31 at 06:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Rex moves around the tent, and nods at his companions. "I agree, but something in me worries, did this 'tax collector' really flee? or is she setting us up?" he says frowning, running a clawed hand down his head. He nods to Joas "I have no need of those stones, I shall take this lance, however, if we are to be on horse back, it will come in handy. As well as this Amulet, unless someone else would like it?"

He shrugs and moves out of the tent, "This is as good a place as any, why not use it. I can take middle watch, I can see in the dark, which serve us well if something comes this way."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grassis

"I could potentially use that amulet as well." Grassis muses. "I can see in the dark just fine as well." He waves a hand flamboyantly in front of his face and disappears from sight.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I could find use for the shiny warhammer and the ogre's out-sized javelin. The rest, I don't know. I would be glad to keep a gluebag, against the possibility it comes in handy, I am a fair toss compared to most.

I agree it would be wise keep a double guard in case the enchanter subdues one of us unawares. I will stand the second watch, if you wish. I feel I must atone for my failures earlier.
    She has looked embarrassed about failing to land a single blow during the battle.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

The party rests overnight without incident, although the cries of a few distant creatures do carry through the still and cool night-time air.

Which route will you take?
    Campaign Logs:

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Rex wakes from his corner while still wearing his armor, he flexes as he does and smiles, "Ah, this crystal is a life saver, I will be happy to hold onto it!" he rummages through his clothes and pulls out the amulet pointing it to Grassis "Here, take this, I have a feeling you need it more than me." Once situated, he mounts his warhorse, and looks to either path and frowns.

"Logic would dictate we take the well worn path. But we might be accosted by more bandits."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yes. Let us take the fastest route. A slight note of bloodthirstiness creeps into her oddly accented voice. She might like to meet more bandits, if it meant redeeming herself.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Joas

"Like we discussed before, there are pro´s and con´s for either route. Only time can tell what the best choice is." The psion mounts up, yawns and stretches. "I have a personal preference for the unbeaten path, but if you don´t feel up to that I am fine with using the other one."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

"So be it." Rex says, as if his word was final, and he had decided to take the advice of Joas with a good thinking about it. You can tell its not out of self pomp, or eagerness to lead, but more of a need to get going, and desire to form as a team.

He pulls on his horses reigns and guides it towards the unbeaten path, leading the group away from the tent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

The next morning
    After consuming your nutritious, magically-generated breakfast, the group saddles its horses and rides up the narrow, winding trail. It twists back and forth with the curve of the mountain. Several times, you end up riding along a narrow path with a cliff on your right and one on your left. Occasionally, you can see the cart-path below; at one point it disappears into a dark canyon that appears to be liberally festooned with spiderwebs. You think you see motion, but it’s a few hundred feet down.

After riding for about two hours (6 miles – 25% speed penalty for uphill/narrow road) you hear shouts and a few roars ahead. With the wind against you, it’s impossible to make out anything detailed, but some of the shouts definitely don’t sound like they come from a human throat. You round the a curve and come upon the tail end of a battle.

A large number of brownish spikes are embedded in the trail in front of you. Some of them pin a bloodied and unmoving figure to the ground – one whose cloak matches that of the spellcaster you fought yesterday. Beyond the body are two slightly injured manticores, covered in glowing gold dust and moving uncertainly. A third is perched 40’ uphill on a ledge, and glares down at the group. It raises its rear end up and appears to be aiming its tail-mounted spikes at you.

It’s approximately 150’ to the manticores, and 90’ to the body. The trail is 10’ wide, with a sheer drop on the left and a cliff on the right that only Grassis has a chance of climbing.
    Spoiler
    Show

No need for a map until next round. The party wins initiative.
    You know that manticores are magical beasts with a limited ability to fire spike volleys from their tails. Some spikes have obviously been launched at the beguiler.
    Manticores are large, with 5’ reach. You know that they can fly, but not well. You're happy you rolled 17 & 19 on your knowledge checks.

You recognize the effects of glitterdust on the two manticores on the trail.

No surprise round. The party wins initiative, but nobody is flat-footed.

RexThaun is in front, followed by Grassis, Joas, and ZrabHas respectively. Everyone is mounted.

=>Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-09-01 at 03:50 PM.
    Campaign Logs:

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Rex pulls on the reigns slightly, slowing his horse to a slow trot. He regards the scene before him with scrutiny.

"I don't think it is a trap, but stranger things have happened. Seeing as we have the opportunity, should we discuss a plan of attack?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grassis

"Well I put the odds of this being a trap at 50/50. We have no way to determine if its a trap in a timely manner. That is to say by the time we figure it out, the trap will be sprung or the spell blinding those manticores will wear off - in the event they are real. This is the sort of landscape manticores prefer so this is a plausible situation. I recommend attacking at once and but spreading out a bit more so we don't get whammied by a well placed spell. If we sit around and debate, we may end up letting the manticores recover and then find ourselves in a spot of trouble. For now, scatter, as one has seen us and can hit us from here. Let me know if the spikes you get hit with are real."

"Its probably best to let me scout ahead."

Grassis dismounts and begins moving over to the manticores, trying to distance himself from the group as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2016-09-01 at 06:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Rex was about to rebuke in kind, to include targets for everyone and assignments and then Grassis had disappeared. His mouth opened and closed.

"Fine then" he said to himself, wheeling his horse. He had gripped his new lance, ready to use it for the upcoming battle.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Joas

Joas nods absentmindedly. His attention seems to be mostly focused on the manticores. There is not so much fear in his eyes, mostly a keen interest. "Yes, yes...split up may be wise." He moves so that the group is not bunched up, but also makes sure that he is not the one to move towards the manticores (if possible). Briefly, his whole body is covered with a thin milky layer of ectoplasm that immediately evaporates.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move to a proper position. Doesn´t really matter: away from danger, preferably.
    As a standard action manifest Vigor for 3 PP, shared with my psicrystal (+15 temp hp).

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I think our best course is for me to get big, toss the javelin at them, then attack from the front, while everyone else flanks or shoots magic from cover.

I dismount, holding the warhammer, and activate the belt of Growth. I am in Island of blades stance.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1, Part 1

Grassis dismounts and moves forward. RexThaun readies his lance but doesn't move up. Joas moves back, and manifests a power, with a faint odor of ozone. Zrabhas grows, doubling her size; luckily for her horse, she dismounted first.

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Grassis Invisible (I assume)
    Joas +15 temp hp
    Zrabhas Enlarged
    Campaign Logs:

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1, Part 2

The manticore uphill yells down in a raspy common. "Oi, wankers! Get o'vr it. More meat's here! Manflesh and horse both! Straight ahead, three men and four horse!" It then fires a volley of spikes at the foremost target, RexThaun.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+8)[19] damage (1d8+2)[5] vs AC 19
    Attack (1d20+8)[16] damage (1d8+2)[7] vs AC 19
    Attack (1d20+8)[19] damage (1d8+2)[9] vs AC 19
    Attack (1d20+8)[10] damage (1d8+2)[4] vs AC 19
    Attack (1d20+8)[19] damage (1d8+2)[4] vs AC 19
    Attack (1d20+8)[11] damage (1d8+2)[10] vs AC 19
    3 hits for 18 total damage
    Crit confirms if needed
    Attack (1d20+8)[13] damage (1d8+2)[3] vs AC 19
    Attack (1d20+8)[13] damage (1d8+2)[9] vs AC 19

The other two manticores stumble ahead blindly. "Don't act better, you were just lucky."

Spoiler: Map & Status
    Show

RexThaun 18 (plus any pre-existing damage) out of 96hp.
    Grassis Invisible (I assume)
    Joas +15 temp hp
    Zrabhas Enlarged

Please confirm current hp status if you didn't start the battle full.

=> Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-09-03 at 03:50 PM.
    Campaign Logs:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Joas

Joas decides to bring forth one of his constructs. Not his Personal construct this time. No, he would be in need of something that flies. He aims to place it as far ahead towards the manticores as possible, to close the gap but also to distract from Rex. Just because he can, he decides to shape it like a manticore. A milky white manticore.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Manifest Astral construct, augmented to 7 PP, take (1d8)[3] damage in the process, aiming to put it in Q319 (I think that´s as far as I can reach). Takes one round to manifest.

It will have the Improved Fly (Fly 40ft, average) and Muscle (+4 Strength) menu abilities.

Craft (sculpting) check to have it resemble a manticore: (1d20+14)[22]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

"Dammit", rex says as the hail of barbs batter against him, he was beginning to regret ever handing over that amulet.

He wheeled his horse as they landed about him, as several found marks, sinking deep. Growling, he cast aside the laid plans and spirred his horse on.
    Spoiler
    Show

He double moves forward to r303
    Swift activates chaos devotion (1d6)[5]
    Odd is attack bonus
    Even is ac

Hp: 69/96
    AC: 19
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grassis

Grassis moves forward towards the manticores, then starts scaling the wall.

Spoiler
    Show

Free action: activate Xeph speed for +20 movement speed.

1st move action: move to R304 (50 ft of movement)

2nd move action: climb the wall 20 ft (have 20ft climb speed)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

ZrabHas gets out the large javelin that she kept for just this eventuality. Having that, she starts moving towards the Manticores with calm deliberation.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2, Part 1

Joas begins manifesting a power, not moving.
    RexThaun moves his horse forward, and Zrabhas follows, drawing a javelin. Grassis, invisible, moves forward and begins to climb the wall.

Spoiler: Status
    Show

RexThaun 27 damage out of 96hp.
    Grassis Invisible
    Joas +12 temp hp
    Zrabhas Enlarged
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-09-05 at 06:47 PM.
    Campaign Logs:

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2, Part 2

The elevated manticore fires another volley of spikes at RexThaun, leaving it with a tail bare of any spikes, and takes to the air.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+8)[18], Damage (1d8+2)[8]
    Attack (1d20+8)[16], Damage (1d8+2)[10]
    Attack (1d20+8)[21], Damage (1d8+2)[5]
    Attack (1d20+8)[21], Damage (1d8+2)[8]
    Attack (1d20+8)[12], Damage (1d8+2)[8]
    Attack (1d20+8)[22], Damage (1d8+2)[3]
    3 hits totalling 16 damage

The other two manticores move forward blindly, the golden motes around them dissipating. One of them growls “Finally!”

Spoiler: Map & Status
    Show

Glitterdust has expired.

RexThaun 43 damage out of 96hp.
    Grassis Invisible
    Joas +12 temp hp
    Zrabhas Enlarged

=>Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-09-05 at 07:43 PM.
    Campaign Logs:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Rex grimaces again as yet more barbs bang off his armor, shield, and a few more thud into him. Growling in anger, he aims his lance and charges the closest monster that just recovered.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift action aura to power.
    Charge action to square (10 ft reach) 295R
    attack - (1d20+9)[23]
    damage - (2d8+10)[19]

AC: 21
    Hp: 53/96
    Chaos: round 2
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-09-06 at 04:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A