New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World V

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    Kusuma has a seat as he listens, book folded open pages-down as he parses this. "...hn. These kids today. I'd have thought someone from the Green Dragon's time would have a bit more sense?" It's only a light jab at Zheng. He does seem mildly concerned in his own way.

"It would be a sorry discipline group to lack the Royal Executioner. Whether or not any necks need to be lopped." Ah, there he goes, being way too casual about his job again. Honestly though, it's probably just a coping mechanism.

Or he's a sociopath.

[Soul Society]
    (Koutetsu Holding - Meeting Room)

"I've none, save requesting a celebration of my engagement. As well as my return. The rebirth of house Tsuyoi. Setsurou, does this sound agreeable? Seeing as your family may need shoulder the burden for such an event. I believe it would be best to show solidarity with the disenfranchised masses that Gwynned represents."

Gwynned snorts, crossing her arms. "...they've no love for the nobles, they might think it's a trap. Especially if you invite the Koutetsu."

"...of course they will be invited. It is in all of our best interests to bury this conflict and work together to build our future." Gwynned starts, but Momoka shoots her a surprisingly deft glare. "...and I will have order. There will be no mercy for any who instigate a skirmish." She looks to Azuma as well, nodding with that statement. She seems sincere enough. However this likely also extends to his family.
    "The Hishikawa have taken on orphans of the Rukon for generations. It is true we train many of them to be operatives, but within our limited capabilities, we do have a modicum of respect from the populace. This would be a good opportunity to mend fences, as it were - and to establish the Tsuyoi as friends of the masses.

I am not entirely unfamiliar with the traditions of your house."
    Setsurou notes, eyeing the Tsuyoi representatives. "I am fully aware of what will be required of me for taking Junko's hand. I will keep her - and everyone in this celebration - safe as can be. It takes a strong arm to properly hold a shield, after all."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ammutseba View Post
    [The Great Library of Las Noches]

Nuala stares as the hollow grandstands, treating him to a few moments of silence after he finishes. Then she snorts, clapping at his antics. Of course, while everything about this said he wasn't a real threat, that was exactly why she remained wary. Just, in a less obvious way. She let her shoulders relax, and cracked a smile with a laugh, remembering to crinkle her eyes just a little bit. What a card. "Outstanding," she lauds at him. "Do ya rehearse, or didja come up with this one just fi me?"

While she speaks, Saltamontes returns from elsewhere, carrying a second zanpakuto, which he hands over to her. As soon as her skin touches scabbard, she suppresses a gasp. New memories flood into her mind, a lost connection never made is forged anew. Despite the distraction, she manages to keep her eyes on the jester, with his very strange act. "Aight, then. I'm collecting information on how zanpakuto are forged; I plan t' outfit my báirseacha with crafts o' similar quality."
    Clovis looks up at her face again.

"Darlin' I am the soul of improvisation."

He sits back again, and drops his disguise for the other two hollows, resting his feet on the table.

"And if that's what you want, then I guess I can skip some of the fancier spots and take you straight to the only one that ever mattered ever since Izanami turned this planet into the lovely dustbowl everyone knows and loves. Well, there is one other place that could be of some use, but rather than going there you may as well just go polish the Segunda's sword for his secrets."

The man snaps his fingers, opening... It does not look like your average garganta. It's much more colorful at the very least.

"Hut hut, hop on, I promise to have you back home before midnight. We are going where none of the people in this place would dare take you."

The portal waits. The other side feels like it is still Hueco Mundo, but so, so far away from Las Noches.

[Soul Society]

Azuma sips his tea in silence while the guests talk. He has no reason to speak just yet, even Gwynned's comment is a paltry complaint of a pointless, uninformed minority.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    [Senshi's inner world]

Spoiler
    Show

There's just one sword nearby: the katana Subete no Bureto's armor was leaning against. Senshi grabs it without difficulty.

"No, you do not know me", the man states. "You have not, and probably will not, see me outside this place. Also..." the man glances at Senshi, "... why should I prepare to fight. It's not me he's coming for. Really, I'm not sure you should fight either. You could flee higher up the mountain. Or even jump down. Or grovel on the ground and beg for mercy. Lots of options, really."

Senshi has some long, awkward minutes to think about that. The approaching figure disappears behind some rock formations as it runs up the mountain side, then reappears again. Soon, it will be on the cliff.
    Senshi shakes his head. "I meant the masked guy. I've seen him before in here."

"Despite being in my mind, you don't seem to know much about me. I'm a member of the Combat Division, so all those options you listed? They aren't options. In the face of opposition, us Combat Division sorts don't grovel, or flee. We fight, and we keep on fighting until either us or our opponent is dead."

Senshi grips his sword in two hands, waiting for the masked figure to arrive.
    Spoiler: Quotes in the Playground!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side. We have scented hand towels.
    I thought you were supposed to have cookies. I was promised cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

"You are right, I don't know you", the man says as he sits on the edge of the cliff, "but in this case it's not a matter of not knowing. I simply think that anyone who limits their options like that is acting in bad faith."

The masked figure finally steps on the cliff, blocking Senshi's path. It slows down, drawing its sword as it approaches Senshi. Senshi might notice its sword is an exact replica of the one he is wielding, but like its uniform, the colors of the sword are inverted.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Royal Realm, King's Realm]
    [Royal Guard's Palace]

The Black Tortoise King waited until the others had filed into the meeting room, before tapping the floor with the cane-form of Seitou. The sound echoed in the room before he spoke. His tone was all-business.

"The Ki-Rin Empress has the sum of it. Though there are more factors than that. Soul Society changed positions, an occurrence that in other circumstances may have been somewhat desirable, but was apparently unintended. There is talk of peace with Hollows. Upheaval in the Noble Courts. A degraded state among the Gotei. And then, when the Red Pheasant went to investigate, a fight. Instead of negotiation, the current Commander-General fought, and defeated, the Red Pheasant. This is not a state of affairs we can afford to ignore. We will prepare an expedition, and we will set right the blade that has begun to warp. All it will take, is some heat and some pressure."

He looks around the table for a few moments, his gaze sharp and unyielding.

"I will lead the group that goes to Soul Society. I will order none of you to come, but not all of us can go. Who would step forth to take part in this effort, this....disciplining?"

Masamune feels confident that Kusuma will volunteer. Beyond that, likely the Empress, but not for sure, and the others less sure still.
    Rin folds her hands into her lap as she sits. When prompted for volunteers, she nods.

"I will go as well. I hope I have not overstepped my authority by taking the liberty of sending a message ahead of time."

Spoiler
    Show
    Kusuma has a seat as he listens, book folded open pages-down as he parses this. "...hn. These kids today. I'd have thought someone from the Green Dragon's time would have a bit more sense?" It's only a light jab at Zheng. He does seem mildly concerned in his own way.

"It would be a sorry discipline group to lack the Royal Executioner. Whether or not any necks need to be lopped." Ah, there he goes, being way too casual about his job again. Honestly though, it's probably just a coping mechanism.

Or he's a sociopath.

[Soul Society]

"I've none, save requesting a celebration of my engagement. As well as my return. The rebirth of house Tsuyoi. Setsurou, does this sound agreeable? Seeing as your family may need shoulder the burden for such an event. I believe it would be best to show solidarity with the disenfranchised masses that Gwynned represents."

Gwynned snorts, crossing her arms. "...they've no love for the nobles, they might think it's a trap. Especially if you invite the Koutetsu."

"...of course they will be invited. It is in all of our best interests to bury this conflict and work together to build our future." Gwynned starts, but Momoka shoots her a surprisingly deft glare. "...and I will have order. There will be no mercy for any who instigate a skirmish." She looks to Azuma as well, nodding with that statement. She seems sincere enough. However this likely also extends to his family.
    There is a general assent from the Tsuyoi representatives.

"There won't be anything to disturb the festivities, on my honor. Been a long time since any of us have had to do anything other than just survive. I'm sure everyone will be eager to dust themselves off and act civil again."

Akako leans over to speak in Konosuke's ear.

"We also can't afford to pay for a gathering of appropriate quality. Assuming the House of Hishikawa is willing to provide assistance, we will do everything in our power to ease the burden on them."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

6. - Top - End - #306

NecromancerGuy

"You are right, I don't know you", the man says as he sits on the edge of the cliff, "but in this case it's not a matter of not knowing. I simply think that anyone who limits their options like that is acting in bad faith."

The masked figure finally steps on the cliff, blocking Senshi's path. It slows down, drawing its sword as it approaches Senshi. Senshi might notice its sword is an exact replica of the one he is wielding, but like its uniform, the colors of the sword are inverted.
    Senshi adopts a defensive stance, holding his sword in two hands. He speaks to the masked figure. "My... friend there says that you are a very evil people, and I have no reason to doubt him. Do you plan to attack me?"
    Show
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

The figure says nothing. It simply adopts a stance of its own, one Senshi might recognize as having advantage over his own. The man sitting on the edge looks over his shoulder and shouts from behind Senshi. "Let's not jump to conclusions there! I only said he is cold-blooded killer, thirsty for your blood! I have hardly claimed he is evil!"

Well that's certainly one way to look at it.

8. - Top - End - #308

NecromancerGuy

Senshi doesn't respond to the man. In all honesty, that doesn't need an answer. Suddenly, he shifts out of his stance and leaps towards the masked figure, his sword slashing down towards it. This is going to turn into a fight anyway, so why not speed things up?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

The masked figure sidesteps and raises its sword above its head so that Senshi's blade can't hit even by accident. Then, just after Senshi's edge has went past its body but is still moving downwards, it flips its sword around to diagonally cut Senshi's unprotected shoulder. In normal circumstances, Senshi would be split from his collarbone to his sternum. However, Senshi is a Shinigami. Now would be a good moment to try and see if he can walk on air here and change his position in mid-air.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    There is a general assent from the Tsuyoi representatives.

"There won't be anything to disturb the festivities, on my honor. Been a long time since any of us have had to do anything other than just survive. I'm sure everyone will be eager to dust themselves off and act civil again."

Akako leans over to speak in Konosuke's ear.

"We also can't afford to pay for a gathering of appropriate quality. Assuming the House of Hishikawa is willing to provide assistance, we will do everything in our power to ease the burden on them."
    Momoka nods. "...we are all in accord, then. I've nothing further, and in all likelihood we should begin planning." She stands and bows to Azuma, gesturing to Gwynned to follow. She stands, but... doesn't bow.

"...what? I'm not about to insult myself and him by pretending I'm grateful. He knows I'd rather headbutt him in the teeth." Momoka sighs a bit.

"...we'll have some work to do. I thank you for your assistance, Koutetsu-dono. To make it official, you and any representatives of your family that you choose are invited to my coronation and engagement celebration. I do hope to see you there." With that, she makes to leave, pending any reaction from Azuma. Gwynned fights an eye roll as she follows.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2017-01-26 at 10:33 AM.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Azuma puts his teacup down.

"I will accept this honesty as a base form of respect, but urge you to teach your sister proper manners and etiquette, lady Tsuyoi. Not all nobility is as merciful as I am."

Most of them don't just kill you outright if you pull off what Gwynned did, after all. Although this attitude has led some younger spirits to this odd, mistaken attitude that the upper echelons of Soul Society follow similar ethics of human dignity as the mortal world does.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

12. - Top - End - #312
    Orc in the Playground

"I wholly appreciate your tolerance of my future sister-in-law's antics, Koutetsu-dono." Setsurou notes with a polite smile. "I will try to assist lady Tsuyoi in seeing to it such tolerance is not required in the future."

He's one to talk, judging from past experience. But then again, he could have just been purposefully pushing Azuma's buttons back then.

"By your leave, then."

Setsurou stands and presents an impeccable bow before accompanying Momoka and Gwynned out.

Once outside, he lets out a small sigh. "That went about as well as could be expected."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Royal Guard's Palace]

Or he's a sociopath.
    Rin folds her hands into her lap as she sits. When prompted for volunteers, she nods.

"I will go as well. I hope I have not overstepped my authority by taking the liberty of sending a message ahead of time."
    Masamune waits for anyone else to speak up before continuing.

"Very well. The 3 of us shall go. We leave in a day, barring any reason we should leave sooner or later. As for necks and lopping, let's not jump right to that. Keep it in the back pocket, Kusuma."

He turned to Rin, and regarded her silently for a few moments.

"It depends on the message."

That's an invitation for an explanation if I ever heard one.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

14. - Top - End - #314

NecromancerGuy

The masked figure sidesteps and raises its sword above its head so that Senshi's blade can't hit even by accident. Then, just after Senshi's edge has went past its body but is still moving downwards, it flips its sword around to diagonally cut Senshi's unprotected shoulder. In normal circumstances, Senshi would be split from his collarbone to his sternum. However, Senshi is a Shinigami. Now would be a good moment to try and see if he can walk on air here and change his position in mid-air.
    Indeed it would. Senshi pauses in midair, abandoning all other efforts to leap aside. Unfortunately, he doesn't quite make it. The masked figure's sword cuts across Senshi's shoulder, leaving a thin mark across it. Senshi tumbles out of the way of a more serious blow awkwardly, rising to his feet on the figure's other side.

"Any help would really be appreciated!" He calls out to the man.

Senshi looks back at the masked figure and readies himself. He draws out the scabbard of the sword he's wielding, holding it in his left hand. Not a second sword, but good enough.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Once outside, he lets out a small sigh. "That went about as well as could be expected."
    Seji approaches from down the street, smiling slightly. "Setsurou-san! I desire a word!"
    Last edited by King539; 2017-01-26 at 11:02 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

[Royal Realm; gathering of the Royal Guard]

Zheng Li Lin gives an incsrutable glance at Kusuma. "You are free to think what you will." Then the Green Dragon glances at the Black Tortoise King. "My presence is no longer needed here. I will leave you to your preparations." Li begins walking away, a faint click sounding from Li's mechanical leg.

---

[Senshi's Inner World]

The masked around turns on its soles, Senshi's blood dripping from its blade. It finds sure footing much faster than Senshi, and would cut at Senshi before he could ready his stance, but that's when the man on the edge of the cliff looks at the figure over his shoulder. Halt.

The masked figure stops mid-motion, its blade trembles as if invisible chains were holding its body back.

Kneel.

For a second, the masked figure looks like it's hesitating, but then the man's brow furrows, and the masked figure slams on one knee as if a great weight had dropped on its shoulders, forced to put both palms against the ground and trapping its sword under them. The impact is so great, in fact, that it blows the snow away from around the figure and cracks the black stone under its knee. Its whole body trembles, as if it is struggling to not collapse flat.

The man on the edge looks at Senshi. "Are you sure you should be so quick to ask for my help?"

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Outside Koutetsu Holdings)

Momoka sighs in Gwynned's direction, but nods to Setsurou, beginning to speak. "Quite, I-"

And then somebody interrupts her, which elicits a tired eyebrow quirk in Seji's direction. She might not recognize him, but if Seji is anywhere near knowledgable in Seireitei's politics right now, it's hard not to know of the best kidou expert in the Seireitei. Who has been instrumental in more than a few instances of keeping the place intact. Though the piercings, tattoos, and dreadlocks are possibly always a bit offputting at first.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Orc in the Playground

[The front of the Koutetsu household, presumably]

Now THIS came out of the woodwork.

"That's easy."

Setsurou pulls from his sleeve a small sign with the kanji for "STOP" drawn on it.

"I'm off-duty at the moment, Seji-san. If you need something from me as Captain of Internal Security, my staff will be more than happy to accommodate you. Much faster, too."

It's not that he's trying to send Seji away, it's just that his timing couldn't have been worse right now.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rin smiles serenely, the expression far at odds with her usual steely demeanor during these meetings.

"Since the leadership of the Seireitei has chosen to reject our wisdom, I saw it only fit that I withdraw mine until the situation has been sorted out, as they will discover the next time a Lieutenant-rank or higher officer of the Shinigami attempts to use my network."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Royal Guard's Palace]
    [Royal Realm; gathering of the Royal Guard]

Zheng Li Lin gives an incsrutable glance at Kusuma. "You are free to think what you will." Then the Green Dragon glances at the Black Tortoise King. "My presence is no longer needed here. I will leave you to your preparations." Li begins walking away, a faint click sounding from Li's mechanical leg.
    The room cooled off noticeably.

"Regardless of how interesting or not you find this discussion, Zheng Li Lin, this is a matter that concerns the entire Royal Guard, even if only three of us are going to Soul Society. Perhaps the Red Pheasant did not properly educate you, but it is not considered polite to dismiss oneself from a meeting of this seriousness and magnitude."

The Black Tortoise King's gaze rests lazily on the Green Dragon, and his tone is polite, but there is little mistaking his meaning.

"Membership in the Royal Guard is an act of service. Not one of idle contemplation and the like."

Spoiler: OOC to Frozen
    Show
    I get that you barely give a **** right now and that's leaking through IC but seriously, just walking out like that? Not cool. If you don't want to contribute any more, you don't have to, when the meeting's dismissed we can safely assume people head back to their areas. You don't even have to post yourself doing that, we're all capable of understanding the concept of ZLL lazily walking back to the hospital.

Rin smiles serenely, the expression far at odds with her usual steely demeanor during these meetings.

"Since the leadership of the Seireitei has chosen to reject our wisdom, I saw it only fit that I withdraw mine until the situation has been sorted out, as they will discover the next time a Lieutenant-rank or higher officer of the Shinigami attempts to use my network."
    Masamune's attention turns to the Ki-Rin Empress, an eyebrow raising at her explanation.

"Interesting. Well, that may well serve our purpose of trying to keep the situation...contained...until we can arrive."

He looked over to the Royal Executioner for a moment, then back to Rin.

"Does this message of yours have any effect on our ability to travel to Soul Society? Perhaps a silly question but I want to make sure I know the full lay of the land as we make decisions."

20. - Top - End - #320

NecromancerGuy

Outside Koutetsu Holdings

Seji smiles sheepishly. "Very sorry. It's not exactly... I digress. Would you mind contacting me later. It's rather important, though it can wait." He then walks off down the street, heading towards... somewhere.

---

Senshi's Inner World

Senshi looks back and forth between the man and the masked figure. Then again. And again. "Wha... But... How?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

[Senshi's Inner World]

The man on the edge looks at Senshi. The masked figure trembles in a kneeling position before him. "What? You asked for help, I gave it", the man says. "How? Does it matter? You are a Shinigami, with training in Kido. Surely the concept of binding someone with words isn't this foreign to you."

The man looks past Senshi at the masked figure and nods towards it. "What matters is - whatcha gonna do now?"

22. - Top - End - #322
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King539 View Post

Seji smiles sheepishly. "Very sorry. It's not exactly... I digress. Would you mind contacting me later. It's rather important, though it can wait." He then walks off down the street, heading towards... somewhere.

---
    "Of course. I apologize if I seem terse. We have been discussing important matters ourselves outside of our duty to Gotei.

I'll see you tomorrow."

As Seji walked away, Setsurou turned to Momoka and Gwyn.

"Say, I'm starved. How about we head back home and get a bite to eat? My treat.

Gwynned, is there anything you restrain from eating?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323

NecromancerGuy

[Senshi's Inner World]

The man on the edge looks at Senshi. The masked figure trembles in a kneeling position before him. "What? You asked for help, I gave it", the man says. "How? Does it matter? You are a Shinigami, with training in Kido. Surely the concept of binding someone with words isn't this foreign to you."

The man looks past Senshi at the masked figure and nods towards it. "What matters is - whatcha gonna do now?"
    Senshi laughs. "It actually kinda is foreign concept to me. The most powerful Kido spell I know is only good for cooking fish."

"As for what I plan to do now, I think I'll go back to the hospital. I need to have my brain scanned. Bye." Senshi closes his eyes and concentrates, willing himself to wake up.

---

Seji nods at Setsurou's words and keeps on walking.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

[Senshi's Inner World]

"You're going to leave a lot unresolved if you do that", the man remarks. "but it is your choice. We'll be here, waiting." The last detail Senshi sees before closing his eyes is the cloud cover breaking apart, revealing a stretch of a blue sky above the man. Then it all fades to black...

[Back in the Hospital]

The first thing Senshi notices upon waking up is that he's bleeding through his clothes. His shoulder has a fresh cut on it, of the exact same size and position as he suffered in his meditation. Nothing a band-aid can't fix, but how does he explain this to the hospital staff?

---

[Royal Realm]

"You know full well the Red Pheasant saw as their duty to act without consulting with any of you first", Zheng Li Lin responds calmly. "Just like the White Tiger saw it as his duty to withold from the Peasant all the things he learned from me during his stay in Soul Society." Li nods towards all other Royal Guards present in turn. "If there's one thing I've learned from the lot of you during my stay here, it's that the Royal Guard has neither unity of opinion nor of method. The only person who could truly decide whether a 'matter concerns the entire Royal guard' is silent on the issue. As such, I have absolutely no trouble dismissing myself... and you should have absolutely no trouble letting me go."

25. - Top - End - #325

NecromancerGuy

[Senshi's Inner World]

"You're going to leave a lot unresolved if you do that", the man remarks. "but it is your choice. We'll be here, waiting." The last detail Senshi sees before closing his eyes is the cloud cover breaking apart, revealing a stretch of a blue sky above the man. Then it all fades to black...

[Back in the Hospital]

The first thing Senshi notices upon waking up is that he's bleeding through his clothes. His shoulder has a fresh cut on it, of the exact same size and position as he suffered in his meditation. Nothing a band-aid can't fix, but how does he explain this to the hospital staff?
    Hmm. Shaving accident? Paper cut? Small scuffle with inner demons? Yeah, the last one. No one will ever suspect the truth. Senshi sits up and walks over to the bathroom, putting a bandaid over the cut. Afterwards, he sits on the bed and waits for his brain scan.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

It doesn't take long before a nurse comes looking for Senshi and escorts him to the wing where they take X-rays.

Senshi is taken to a small dark room, where he is told to sit on a chair while wearing a goofy-looking collar. An x-ray device makes a few circles around his head, while a medical officer sits before a computer and examines the results. "Uh huh. Well this is... new...", the officer says while scratching their chin, somehow managing to sound dull and extremely foreboding in that way that only doctors manage. "We'll be wanting a larger image. And some additional bloodtests ASAP."

Senshi is taken to another room, where he is told to lay on his back on a trolley so a whole body X-ray and magnetic scan can be taken. When that's done, he's told to sit still as they attach electrodes to his head to monitor his brain activity and prick him with needles to take blood samples. The medical officer, looking, puzzled, flips through a fat stack of X-ray photos as he waits for the nurse to bring in results of the blood tests.

After a while of awkward silence, the medical officer looks at Senshi over his glasses. "So... do you want the bad news first, or the worse news?"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Royal Guard's Palace]
    [Royal Realm]

"You know full well the Red Pheasant saw as their duty to act without consulting with any of you first", Zheng Li Lin responds calmly. "Just like the White Tiger saw it as his duty to withold from the Peasant all the things he learned from me during his stay in Soul Society." Li nods towards all other Royal Guards present in turn. "If there's one thing I've learned from the lot of you during my stay here, it's that the Royal Guard has neither unity of opinion nor of method. The only person who could truly decide whether a 'matter concerns the entire Royal guard' is silent on the issue. As such, I have absolutely no trouble dismissing myself... and you should have absolutely no trouble letting me go."
    For several long moments, the room is entirely silent, and the air unnaturally still. Then, Masamune speaks.

"Do not presume to lecture me on the views of my fellow Royal Guard, child. But in case the current situation is unclear, while the Red Pheasant is very good at killing things swiftly, their opinions on duty and how they should go about it are not infallible. But it's clear the Red Pheasant and the White Tiger did not make it clear to you that there is a sense of organization to our group. We are not as regimented as the Shinigami, but then I'm typically busy with my duties, as are most of the others. And in a time of urgent matters, this organization is formalized. Your opinion is not supreme here. Now. Sit. Down."

The only sign of Masamune's displeasure is the chill in the air and the fact that he's been very, very still this whole time.

"You are young yet, and new to membership in the Guard, so your faulty understanding of the full measure of how the Guard works can be overlooked."

28. - Top - End - #328

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't take long before a nurse comes looking for Senshi and escorts him to the wing where they take X-rays.

Senshi is taken to a small dark room, where he is told to sit on a chair while wearing a goofy-looking collar. An x-ray device makes a few circles around his head, while a medical officer sits before a computer and examines the results. "Uh huh. Well this is... new...", the officer says while scratching their chin, somehow managing to sound dull and extremely foreboding in that way that only doctors manage. "We'll be wanting a larger image. And some additional bloodtests ASAP."

Senshi is taken to another room, where he is told to lay on his back on a trolley so a whole body X-ray and magnetic scan can be taken. When that's done, he's told to sit still as they attach electrodes to his head to monitor his brain activity and prick him with needles to take blood samples. The medical officer, looking, puzzled, flips through a fat stack of X-ray photos as he waits for the nurse to bring in results of the blood tests.

After a while of awkward silence, the medical officer looks at Senshi over his glasses. "So... do you want the bad news first, or the worse news?"
    Senshi raises an eyebrow. "No good news? Well..."

Senshi trails off and stares at the wall for a bit, trying to make his decision. After about a minute, he speaks, not taking his eyes off the wall. "Well, might as well have the worse news first and get it off my back."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

[Royal Realm]

"No", Li says plainly and firmly, "and it is the words of you and Kusuma which make me decline. It is nothing short of absurd of you to call a being like me a child. It would be vastly more plausible to ask if I'm senile. Every time you lot try to cast my disagreement as an issue of age or experience, you reduce both me and yourselves into one-dimensional caricatures." Li gives a sharp look around. "In truth, none of us are here because of our age, or experience, or wisdom. We are here because we changed things, with no guarantee it was for the better. Some of us are of sound health and mind only because we've been bestowed miraculous durability by a higher power. That is why we let Central 46 govern Soul Society in our stead."

Li turns back to the Black Tortoise King. "That is also why Kisaragi Saruhiko left Wan Li Lin out of the loop. That is why I am stepping out. I cannot prevent you from making whatever decision you want and acting on them. But I can choose to not have any part in it."

Li turns to leave.

---

[Seireitei; Senshi's appointment]

The medical officers shows a whole-body x-ray image to Senshi. "Your skeleton had a lot of recent fractures consistent with you having fallen from a great height on a hard surface", he explains. "Your body has already started healing over the damage, but it's not doing so in a normal way. See the color of those fractures? It means the new bone is four to five times denser than normal." He points at the part corresponding to Senshi's wounded arm. It's dotted by big, white blotches. "It isn't limited to your skeleton. The scar tissue on your arm has properties similar to iron. The metal content in your blood is so high, we could cast it in a mold to make ingots. We haven't really seen things like this in Shinigami before."

The officer shrugs. "You ought to be suffering from poisoning by now. That you aren't suggest there's some deeper thing that's off. We can't really fix this. If anything, any of our normal attempts to fix this would make your condition progress faster."

30. - Top - End - #330

NecromancerGuy

Senshi grins. "Awesome." Ah. Yes. Senshi's a member of the Combat Division, and thus has different priorities than most. "So I'm, like, super-tough now? Even more than usual? Cool. What's the news that's merely bad? Surely it must be almost as good as this, at least!"
    Show