New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World V

"I don't know what it is they do in Las Noches. But the way Yurius spun it when he came up with the treaty, the Arrancars hunt other Hollows for food as much as anything", Senshi says plainly. "So whatever it is that they do, it is no more voluntary and no better than purification. It's what you claimed my questions were - a moot point."

"As for 'Stumpy'..."

Senshi grabs Ryoma by the collar. It's a near-comical gesture, given how much smaller he is. It's only possible because the giant is lying down.

"... they went to Hell. That's a thing, in the odd case you didn't know. So hey, maybe Stumpy would've wanted to stay a Hollow. But I would've had zero reason to listen to them."

"It's a funny thing. Hell, I mean. I didn't use to think about it much. I must've dozed off when they talked about it in the Academy. We Shinigami are forbidden from interfering with it anyway. But now I realize one thing it's good for: to give a bottom line to stupid arguments like yours. How many times do I need to repeat this? Hollows aren't living things. They are already dead. You keep babbling like this is just about killing or not killing stuff, but it isn't. Every time you try to bring this to the level of what Hollows want or what I want, you're committing an error. It's about what people deserve. So do you think good people deserve to be stuck as Hollows? Or that the bad people deserve to walk around with powers of one?"
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #812
    Orc in the Playground

Ryouma forehead-flicks Senshi.

It hurts. Probably a lot. He's got a lot more strength on his finger than many Shinigami have in their entire upper bodies.

"Dead people don't feel nothin'. Hollows ain't deader than you are right now.

If it can feel pain, it's still alive. And if I'm so bad like you say, why hasn't Hell come for me yet?

I think yer havin' a hard time accepting a monster like me as a Shinigami. That's fine. Day one walkin' into this place I knew I wouldn't fit in anyway. I only signed up cuz this is wartime and I get to fight more. I don't get to fight someone who's not a weakling with a big ego half the time, and I don't like being too much of a bully."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

Senshi's hold is knocked loose and he almost falls down from the force. "Oww" , he mutters, stumbling back and holding his head. Ryouma might've noticed his head was oddly hard. As if he hit a steel pin instead of someone's skull. Funny.

Senshi straightens up and shoots Ryoma a glare. "Again with that??? Argh! Listen! Of course I wouldn't want an actual monster as a Shinigami! Duh! But you?"

He walks back and pokes Ryoma in the ribs. "An actual monster would be fine with being a bully! An actual monster wouldn't have tried to be nice! You are lying to either me or yourself! You know what I think? "

Senshi looks Ryoma up in the eye. Really just one eye, his face is so big that it's hard to look in both at the same time this close. "You're just a big oaf with self-esteem issues. You call yourself a monster because someone else did. That's just crap. You say you own it? Bah! The only way you can own being a monster, is by trying to stop being one! Anything else is just excuses you make so you don't have to become better than you are! "

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    [The (ending?) battle]
    Neither was Kamen Rider Rei. For good reason. Even the most ludicrously furious enemy has a self-preservation instinct. If at the end of it all Felicia had tried to cover herself...

The first thing the Commander-General does, however, is to approach the smoking crater, flaring his Reiatsu in order to blow the smoke away to find Naito. Even if Felicia is dead, there is no reason to assume her diseases have not outlived her, a good deal of which were airborne, so it's best to get the hybrid out of the way.

All in all, his defenses held well. It is a fairly badly kept secret that his Bankai has an... ideological component. It thoroughly rejects that which runs counter to his moral fiber, and suffering as a tool of war ranks quite high on that list. This, combined with his own electromagnetic defense field, kept him safe from the rebounding energy. That is not to say he would like to repeat the experience if he could help it.

"All available units, check for stray or hidden Reiatsu signatures. Our enemy might have burrowing capabilities."

He only hopes that if she does, she's not as good at hiding as he thinks she could be.

Naito appears to be actually buried under the broken rock and loose earth at the bottom of the crater. They certainly aren't visible even after the dust is cleared away.
    Masaru takes to the sky again, raising the arm holding his spear as he does so. This act causes the shadows all across the nearby ground to writhe, some of them even seeming to all but ooze out of the ground. Those with sharp spiritual senses can tell that the shadows in the sewers below are growing and moving as well. These shadow-constructs are not dangerous; if touched they are barely tangible. But they will let Masaru know if someone is in the area, and perhaps help him determine their location.

=================================================
    [The Conference Room]

The Shinigami that timidly walks into the room with the aid of a cane and a distinct limp is quite old, hunched over by age and fatigue alike. Even as he gazes at the veteran, Masamune can tell - this man has seen untold battles, and he gave much in service of Soul Society. His Zanpakutou at his waist appears weathered even from the outside, and a smith of his caliber would weep to know how much it had to withstand in defense of its user.

"Greetings, sir, and thank you for indulging an old fool like myself. My name is Senjusaemon Nobutada, instructor of the Shinoreijutsuin." He is clearly trembling in order to remain upright, but he dares not take a seat of his own initiative. He's breaking enough protocol as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Conference Room

Rin, already on her feet and about to leave, fixes the older shinigami with an unreadable stare. After a moment, she extends one hand towards one of the chairs in the room.

"Bakudo 3: Utsusu."

A golden glow emerges from the chair, which Rin proceeds to guide behind the instructor. She retakes her seat.

"You may be seated."

After that, she falls silent. Masamune would recognize this as a return to form after a rather uncharacteristic action on her part, as she usually leaves it to her seniors to dictate protocol.
    Masamune waits until the old man has been seated, showing no concern over Rin taking some initiative. Instead, he smiles at the teacher and gestures towards the tea at the table.

"Feel free to have a drink. If I might be so bold, what brings one so wise, and with such important duties, to meet with us?"

There is no mocking in his tone, merely curiosity; Masamune clearly respects this man a great deal by virtue of his position.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

5. - Top - End - #815
    Orc in the Playground

[The (ending?) battle]

For his own part, Kamen Rider Rei attempts to sift through the rubble and zero in on Naito. If there's any chance Felicia somehow survived that humongous blast, the hybrid is at the height of vulnerability right now, and closest to her than anyone else.

If he wants to make sure she's gone for good, then he has to evacuate Naito first. That way he can use bigger guns.

[The Conference Room]

Nobutada is mildly surprised by Rin's kindness, not for the gesture itself, but for the form it takes. (For a moment there, he was worried when she said the words "Bakudou".)

"I appreciate the kindness, sir, ma'am. The truth is... there is some part personal indulgence in this visit, and some part an admission of a grave mistake on my part, one that may have precipitated this situation.

I was an exceedingly rash Shinigami in my first two hundred years on the job. First one in, last one out. This... eventually cost me the ability to serve on the front lines. Given my sorry state, there was consideration of a possibility of honorable discharge for me as, obviously, Shinigami do not retire.

But I was still full of fire, and with my body unable to fulfill my duties, I only had my mind left. And that is why I came to be a part of Shinoreijutsuin - especifically, as a teacher on battlefield tactics."

The old instructor takes up Masamune on his offer of tea.

"When he first joined, as well as when he was recommended for a transfer to Command, I had the unique opportunity to oversee young Ishinomori Koutarou's training in matters both within the field of tactical expertise and leadership. And... in that capacity, I feel that perhaps I neglected to teach him one of the most important lessons that a man like him ought to know."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

6. - Top - End - #816
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Seireitei]
    Crater

Naito isn't particularly difficult to locate; despite being buried almost a meter into the rubble, their reiatsu can still be felt, and for someone of Rei's power finding and uncovering the hybrid is the work less than a minute. Naito looks a bit dazed when finally uncovered, but seems uninjured and safe barring what appears to be a full-body sunburn.

"Ow..."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[The (ending?) battle]

For his own part, Kamen Rider Rei attempts to sift through the rubble and zero in on Naito. If there's any chance Felicia somehow survived that humongous blast, the hybrid is at the height of vulnerability right now, and closest to her than anyone else.

If he wants to make sure she's gone for good, then he has to evacuate Naito first. That way he can use bigger guns.

Naito isn't particularly difficult to locate; despite being buried almost a meter into the rubble, their reiatsu can still be felt, and for someone of Rei's power finding and uncovering the hybrid is the work less than a minute. Naito looks a bit dazed when finally uncovered, but seems uninjured and safe barring what appears to be a full-body sunburn.

"Ow..."
    Masaru continues to use his shadows to search the area nearby.

Chuck, having dragged himself over near Katsuo, assumes a rough lotus position and begins trying to search for Felicia's malignant spiritual presence anywhere nearby.
    ================================================== ================

[The Conference Room]

Nobutada is mildly surprised by Rin's kindness, not for the gesture itself, but for the form it takes. (For a moment there, he was worried when she said the words "Bakudou".)

"I appreciate the kindness, sir, ma'am. The truth is... there is some part personal indulgence in this visit, and some part an admission of a grave mistake on my part, one that may have precipitated this situation.

I was an exceedingly rash Shinigami in my first two hundred years on the job. First one in, last one out. This... eventually cost me the ability to serve on the front lines. Given my sorry state, there was consideration of a possibility of honorable discharge for me as, obviously, Shinigami do not retire.

But I was still full of fire, and with my body unable to fulfill my duties, I only had my mind left. And that is why I came to be a part of Shinoreijutsuin - especifically, as a teacher on battlefield tactics."

The old instructor takes up Masamune on his offer of tea.

"When he first joined, as well as when he was recommended for a transfer to Command, I had the unique opportunity to oversee young Ishinomori Koutarou's training in matters both within the field of tactical expertise and leadership. And... in that capacity, I feel that perhaps I neglected to teach him one of the most important lessons that a man like him ought to know."
    Masamune raises an eyebrow slightly at hearing the man's words.

"I would say your wisdom is hard-earned, and your efforts have likely helped many. But ultimately teachers equip, they cannot make decisions for their students once they have left the classroom; the Commander-General's decisions are ultimately his. With that said, I am curious what less you feel you failed to teach him."

8. - Top - End - #818
    Orc in the Playground

[The (ending?) battle]

"Are you alright? Let me give you a hand up." Naito may dislike being touched, but Kamen Rider Rei is not going to be easily dissuaded from helping.

Masaru and Chuck both can feel 'pockets' of stray spiritual pressure from Felicia. Some of them are bigger than others, and most are fading away, though they all seem to be oozing around the place. It is difficult to tell at a distance if these are the lingering effects of her presence or if she has somehow divided herself to recover. Either way, the only way to check if any of them have any physical substance would probably be to poke at them.

[The Conference Room]

"I never taught him how to fail."

With a smile, he continues. "Learning from my mistakes does not mean I was any less of a fool when I made them, Masamune-dono. Just the same as I cannot take responsibility for my student's actions, much as I would desire to do so.

Young Ishinomori... he hails from outer Rukon. Never had a family, and he was always too trusting for his own good. I understand that led people to take advantage of him a number of times. My most difficult task in teaching him was to show the rather insidious forms an enemy could take. Once that became clear to him... he redefined 'casualty' within his academic exploits. Seemingly impossible or hopeless scenarios were turned on their heads, always prioritizing the survival of the maximum amount of troops along with their given objective. I had to confer with other instructors of the Academy a number of times in order to assess him with fair grades. And the only reason he ended up in the Combat Division rather than straight-up in Command to begin with was because one of the other instructors insisted he needed real experience to complement his studies."

Nobutada stares wistfully at the tea leaves. "Koutarou... in the absence of a family to call his, I dare consider him my son. And I know him better than he knows himself. He takes his responsibilities so seriously, and takes his failures so deeply to heart, because he understands it's his job to turn despair into hope.

And that is why this recent incident has taken the proportions it has. The Commander-General deems the actions that the Red Pheasant took to be so profoundly unnecessary that they border on wasteful. It runs counter to everything he believes, borne out of a sense of duty to his peers more than to the very office he swore allegiance to. He sees such actions as a failure of his own, and now... now I fear for whatever punishment he may have to endure for this."

Nobutada's frame shivers. It is clear he is trying his best to keep his composure, but the man is on the verge of tears.

"And like I said... I never taught him how to fail."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #819

Seireitei
    Crater

When Rei extends a hand towards Naito, the hybrid pushes back against the rocks below in a futile effort to keep out of his reach. For a split instant, Koutarou can see a flash of fear in Naito’s eyes. When the moment passes, however, Naito regains control and the expression is replaced by a mixture of scorn and pride. The Quincy slaps Koutarou’s hand away.

"Don’t touch me. I’m fine."

With some effort, Naito starts to stand up.

Conference Room

Rin stands, somewhat abruptly, and looks at Masamune.

"I will begin preparations for the divination. Would you prefer to be present, or shall I report the results to you after?"

After hearing his answer, Rin sweeps past Nobutada without a second glance before pausing at the door.

"Perfection is impossible. Do not lament its absence. We shall help Ishinomori Koutarou learn the lessons you were unable to teach him."

The Yellow Ki-Rin Empress departs.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[The (ending?) battle]

"Are you alright? Let me give you a hand up." Naito may dislike being touched, but Kamen Rider Rei is not going to be easily dissuaded from helping.

Masaru and Chuck both can feel 'pockets' of stray spiritual pressure from Felicia. Some of them are bigger than others, and most are fading away, though they all seem to be oozing around the place. It is difficult to tell at a distance if these are the lingering effects of her presence or if she has somehow divided herself to recover. Either way, the only way to check if any of them have any physical substance would probably be to poke at them.

When Rei extends a hand towards Naito, the hybrid pushes back against the rocks below in a futile effort to keep out of his reach. For a split instant, Koutarou can see a flash of fear in Naito’s eyes. When the moment passes, however, Naito regains control and the expression is replaced by a mixture of scorn and pride. The Quincy slaps Koutarou’s hand away.

"Don’t touch me. I’m fine."

With some effort, Naito starts to stand up.
    Chuck continued to focus and search, but Masaru's eyes opened and one fist clenched.

As best as he could, he directed shadows everywhere to stab, slice, and smash the bits of Felicia's Reiatsu that he could find, seeking to wipe out any trace of her foul presence.

As for Naito's...volatility, both said nothing for the time being.
    ================================================== ======
    [The Conference Room]

"I never taught him how to fail."

With a smile, he continues. "Learning from my mistakes does not mean I was any less of a fool when I made them, Masamune-dono. Just the same as I cannot take responsibility for my student's actions, much as I would desire to do so.

Young Ishinomori... he hails from outer Rukon. Never had a family, and he was always too trusting for his own good. I understand that led people to take advantage of him a number of times. My most difficult task in teaching him was to show the rather insidious forms an enemy could take. Once that became clear to him... he redefined 'casualty' within his academic exploits. Seemingly impossible or hopeless scenarios were turned on their heads, always prioritizing the survival of the maximum amount of troops along with their given objective. I had to confer with other instructors of the Academy a number of times in order to assess him with fair grades. And the only reason he ended up in the Combat Division rather than straight-up in Command to begin with was because one of the other instructors insisted he needed real experience to complement his studies."

Nobutada stares wistfully at the tea leaves. "Koutarou... in the absence of a family to call his, I dare consider him my son. And I know him better than he knows himself. He takes his responsibilities so seriously, and takes his failures so deeply to heart, because he understands it's his job to turn despair into hope.

And that is why this recent incident has taken the proportions it has. The Commander-General deems the actions that the Red Pheasant took to be so profoundly unnecessary that they border on wasteful. It runs counter to everything he believes, borne out of a sense of duty to his peers more than to the very office he swore allegiance to. He sees such actions as a failure of his own, and now... now I fear for whatever punishment he may have to endure for this."

Nobutada's frame shivers. It is clear he is trying his best to keep his composure, but the man is on the verge of tears.

"And like I said... I never taught him how to fail."
    Conference Room

Rin stands, somewhat abruptly, and looks at Masamune.

"I will begin preparations for the divination. Would you prefer to be present, or shall I report the results to you after?"

After hearing his answer, Rin sweeps past Nobutada without a second glance before pausing at the door.

"Perfection is impossible. Do not lament its absence. We shall help Ishinomori Koutarou learn the lessons you were unable to teach him."

The Yellow Ki-Rin Empress departs.
    "I would like to be present if possible, oh Majestic Empress of Kido Perfection, but if I am more than 15 minutes late once you are fully prepared, commence the divination without me."

He waits until she is gone to give Nobutada a level, but not unkind, look.

"Instructor Nobutada, you must understand this is not quite so simple as pass/fail. It is admirable for a Commander to seek to minimize casualties on his part while completing his objectives. The troops of the Gotei are not chaff to be so casually spent. And..."

He pauses, sipping tea thoughtfully as he formulates his words.

"We do understand the....unrest....over the actions of the Red Pheasant. I will assure you we do not intend to kill him, or permanently remove him from his position if he cooperates. But there will be punishment. There are principles at stake, the basic order of how Soul Society is set up, that demand we not simply ignore this matter."

11. - Top - End - #821
    Orc in the Playground

[The (ending?) battle]

Masaru's efforts, for the most part, render good fruit - while he cannot exactly overwhelm the extant Reiatsu on his own, each "stab" through the earth tells him which 'pools' of Reiatsu are not physical manifestations of Felicia.

At one point, however, one of those 'pools' wriggles out of the way and darts through the earth at breakneck speed!

Masaru barely has the time to issue a warning before Felicia's horrifying, if diminute, visage bursts out of the earth intent on going for Kamen Rider Rei's neck.

At which point she finds herself paralyzed, bumped uselessly against his defensive field.

"Hadou 4: Byakurai."

Moments before Felicia Von Geister disappears for good from this world, her last words can be heard.

"D...daddy..."

[The Conference Room]

"I would not dare suggest that punishment be withheld given the gravity of the situation." Nobutada retorts. "What I urge you to consider is the timing of said punishment. You've had access to the reports, I trust. The Red Pheasant's coming could have had worst timing only by the slimmest stretch, and this war of attrition with the nefarious Von Geister has worn the trust in higher authority beyond the Commander-General thin. There are even whispers of his removal of the Chamber of Forty-Six being a blessing in disguise by some of the more inconsenquential and young Shinigami.

Ishinomori Koutarou fears neither execution nor removal from his position. The first he would resist and the second he might even welcome. He never wanted that post in the first place. And attempting to assert authority over him through physical punishment has an intense potential to backfire. The Royal Guard risks taking on a role as bullies.

To that end, I would instead suggest he be given a task to prove himself. Something suitably difficult."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #822
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Senshi's hold is knocked loose and he almost falls down from the force. "Oww" , he mutters, stumbling back and holding his head. Ryouma might've noticed his head was oddly hard. As if he hit a steel pin instead of someone's skull. Funny.

Senshi straightens up and shoots Ryoma a glare. "Again with that??? Argh! Listen! Of course I wouldn't want an actual monster as a Shinigami! Duh! But you?"

He walks back and pokes Ryoma in the ribs. "An actual monster would be fine with being a bully! An actual monster wouldn't have tried to be nice! You are lying to either me or yourself! You know what I think? "

Senshi looks Ryoma up in the eye. Really just one eye, his face is so big that it's hard to look in both at the same time this close. "You're just a big oaf with self-esteem issues. You call yourself a monster because someone else did. That's just crap. You say you own it? Bah! The only way you can own being a monster, is by trying to stop being one! Anything else is just excuses you make so you don't have to become better than you are! "
    "Now I get why I ain't gettin' through to ya. Ya don't just stink like a Hollow, yer skull is just as hard.

Yer assumin' that bein' a monster means I don't have standards. What would ya know about bein' a monster anyway? Yer a regular old Shinigami. Yer just givin' me the business 'cuz if I don't follow yer way of livin' and still do better than you, then that means you could stand ta be less uptight.

And hey, I'm givin' it the good ol' try. If it doesn't work out, then I'll just scoot. Same as it's ever been."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ettin in the Playground

Senshi slaps his palm against his forehead in frustration. "Monster. Standards. The way you keep using those words, I'm starting to suspect you don't even know what they mean." He shakes his head. "But whatever. You say you're giving it a try? Well you better give it the best try you can! Because even if it's not my job to watch you..." Senshi gestures between his eyes and Ryouma's. "... I'll be watching you."

And then he marches off.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[The (ending?) battle]

Masaru's efforts, for the most part, render good fruit - while he cannot exactly overwhelm the extant Reiatsu on his own, each "stab" through the earth tells him which 'pools' of Reiatsu are not physical manifestations of Felicia.

At one point, however, one of those 'pools' wriggles out of the way and darts through the earth at breakneck speed!

Masaru barely has the time to issue a warning before Felicia's horrifying, if diminute, visage bursts out of the earth intent on going for Kamen Rider Rei's neck.

At which point she finds herself paralyzed, bumped uselessly against his defensive field.

"Hadou 4: Byakurai."

Moments before Felicia Von Geister disappears for good from this world, her last words can be heard.

"D...daddy..."

Masaru, meanwhile, took a few more moments to extend his senses, before his form was obscured by whirling shadows. When the shadows disappeared, he was calmly standing there, two swords sheathed at his side. He walked toward Naito and Kamen Rider Rei, his face impassive.

"Thank you for your assistance, young Quincy. If not for your efforts, that would likely have been much worse. We're going to get your friends taken care of now. Do you require medical assistance?"

He's clearly not a medic but is clearly authority. He has not extended a hand to attempt to touch Naito, and Masaru's voice bears no patronizing tone, just experience and concern.

==================================================
    [The Conference Room]

"I would not dare suggest that punishment be withheld given the gravity of the situation." Nobutada retorts. "What I urge you to consider is the timing of said punishment. You've had access to the reports, I trust. The Red Pheasant's coming could have had worst timing only by the slimmest stretch, and this war of attrition with the nefarious Von Geister has worn the trust in higher authority beyond the Commander-General thin. There are even whispers of his removal of the Chamber of Forty-Six being a blessing in disguise by some of the more inconsenquential and young Shinigami.

Ishinomori Koutarou fears neither execution nor removal from his position. The first he would resist and the second he might even welcome. He never wanted that post in the first place. And attempting to assert authority over him through physical punishment has an intense potential to backfire. The Royal Guard risks taking on a role as bullies.

To that end, I would instead suggest he be given a task to prove himself. Something suitably difficult."
    Masamune gazed calmly and levelly at Nobutada for several long moments. The air stirred a bit; if it was colder, that was surely just imagination.

"To be clear, you believe that the Royal Guard should punish a Commander-General who all but killed a member of the Guard with...a difficult task? I am curious what task you feel would be sufficient, Instructor Nobutada. A century-long quest to purge Hueco Mundo outside of this Las Noches?"

15. - Top - End - #825

[Seireitei]
    Battlefield

Now that Rei is no longer extending a hand to Naito, the hybrid pushes up into an unsteady standing position. Naito looks over their body before shaking their head at Masaru.

"I'll be..."

Naito pokes at their arm before peeling off a huge section of dead skin. Wrinkling their nose, the Quincy casts it aside.

"...Eugh...fine. My body hasn't fully adjusted to my Schrift yet."

Naito takes a few halting steps towards the edge of the crater. Around this time, Aoi shows up, approaching the edge of the crater on foot. She looks around at the destruction, seemingly impassive.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Orc in the Playground

[The battlefield]

"Speaking of wounded, this battle did a number on one of our primary medical facilities. As Commander-General of the Gotei, I should probably be very, very upset that you and yours brought this to our doorstep, young ones.

But you did it to save a friend, someone hurt through Von Geister's actions, whom is our responsibility, and at no small personal expense. Without your aid, it is doubtful we would have succeeded.

Please take as much time as you need to rest. I believe your teacher is still here and would like to speak to you lot at the earliest opportunity."

[The conference room]

"Not to press too fine a point, but isn't the fact the Red Pheasant still breathes proof that the Commander-General never actually wished him dead? Ohohoho." He allows himself a chuckle. "Masamune-dono, surely the difficulty of the task relies on the one it is being thrust upon. The nature of Las Noches and our treaty with them is such that such a hunt would not be an ideal task, alas. In the olden days, we had many a dragon to slay. The task I propose is that Ishinomori be responsible for taking down one such dragon.

I can think of only one creature on our sights that fits the bill, and in doing so, we would simultaneously be rid of a greater threat to Soul Society. After all, insubordination calls into question loyalty to one's superiors, and that is what his redemption is supposed to prove, no?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[The conference room]

"Not to press too fine a point, but isn't the fact the Red Pheasant still breathes proof that the Commander-General never actually wished him dead? Ohohoho." He allows himself a chuckle. "Masamune-dono, surely the difficulty of the task relies on the one it is being thrust upon. The nature of Las Noches and our treaty with them is such that such a hunt would not be an ideal task, alas. In the olden days, we had many a dragon to slay. The task I propose is that Ishinomori be responsible for taking down one such dragon.

I can think of only one creature on our sights that fits the bill, and in doing so, we would simultaneously be rid of a greater threat to Soul Society. After all, insubordination calls into question loyalty to one's superiors, and that is what his redemption is supposed to prove, no?"
    Masamune sets his teacup down and gives the Instructor a flat look.

"You wish for his task to be to do his job?"

His tone is not condescending, but only just.

"I recognize that you hesitate at the thought of some harsher punishment, Nobutada-san, but telling the Commander to slay a powerful Hollow who makes his living on the Mortal World is not a sufficient compromise. At worst, it will give the impression the Royal Guard saw barely anything wrong with his actions, and that furthermore we believe him to be so powerful and skillful he can handle Von Geister alone.

The point of a more corporal punishment is to be able to enact it and move on quickly. A sabbatical, or a quest with no definitive end, does not accomplish this task. I will not completely rule out the concept of a task, but your proposal is not sufficient for this.
    "

18. - Top - End - #828
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Masamune sets his teacup down and gives the Instructor a flat look.

"You wish for his task to be to do his job?"

His tone is not condescending, but only just.

"I recognize that you hesitate at the thought of some harsher punishment, Nobutada-san, but telling the Commander to slay a powerful Hollow who makes his living on the Mortal World is not a sufficient compromise. At worst, it will give the impression the Royal Guard saw barely anything wrong with his actions, and that furthermore we believe him to be so powerful and skillful he can handle Von Geister alone.

The point of a more corporal punishment is to be able to enact it and move on quickly. A sabbatical, or a quest with no definitive end, does not accomplish this task. I will not completely rule out the concept of a task, but your proposal is not sufficient for this.
    "
    "By all means, Masamune-dono. I was merely setting up a standard against which to measure the task at hand. I must admit it is difficult for me to conceive an adequate punishment given the circumstances. And I say this not only due to my affections, but also because..."

Nobutada hesitates. He takes a deep breath before continuing.

"...if I'm being honest, the young Commander-General could hardly be expected to act differently than he did.

We choose our leaders based on their wisdom and experience. We respect their authority based on their adherence to the principles we have taught in the Academy for centuries. The Red Pheasant's actions... however grounded in wisdom we do not share, they were in direct defiance of those selfsame principles. The Commander-General had no higher authority to report this to, which would be our response to such an event. That's why I feel responsible for the current situation.

We taught him principles and responsibility. We never taught him to question authority, or the basis on which those principles are founded. It begs the question: are we punishing him for insubordination, or for doing exactly what he's been taught to do and which guided his carreer so far?"

A quick sip of tea.

"And just between the two of us... if anyone CAN defeat Von Geister, that someone is..."
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2018-07-31 at 10:20 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"By all means, Masamune-dono. I was merely setting up a standard against which to measure the task at hand. I must admit it is difficult for me to conceive an adequate punishment given the circumstances. And I say this not only due to my affections, but also because..."

Nobutada hesitates. He takes a deep breath before continuing.

"...if I'm being honest, the young Commander-General could hardly be expected to act differently than he did.

We choose our leaders based on their wisdom and experience. We respect their authority based on their adherence to the principles we have taught in the Academy for centuries. The Red Pheasant's actions... however grounded in wisdom we do not share, they were in direct defiance of those selfsame principles. The Commander-General had no higher authority to report this to, which would be our response to such an event. That's why I feel responsible for the current situation.

We taught him principles and responsibility. We never taught him to question authority, or the basis on which those principles are founded. It begs the question: are we punishing him for insubordination, or for doing exactly what he's been taught to do and which guided his carreer so far?"

A quick sip of tea.

"And just between the two of us... if anyone CAN defeat Von Geister, that someone is..."
    "This is not simply about 'chain of command'. There are deeper forces at work, and Koutarou's actions risked doing permanent injury to the Red Pheasant, without any of the rest of us knowing beforehand. I recognize the situation was....tense, and also chaotic. But the fact that no formal communications were attempted with us until after this mess...unacceptable. I do appreciate that you are trying to give a perspective from outside the Royal Guard, Nobutada-san. But even if this were 'just' a chain of command issue, Koutarou's approach leaves much to be desired. He was a...how do the Westerners say it..."

He strokes his grey beard in thought for a moment before snapping his fingers in a gesture of sudden remembrance.

"He was a cowboy cop. He attempted to stop what he saw as an injustice and a misuse of authority, but he did so in a way that threatened the basic fabric of that same authority. The risks are more than just hard feelings. Soul Society is dependent on us just as much as we are on it; it is a symbiotic relationship, one that has become degraded. After all, tell me..."

His gaze was piercing, and the air chilled very slightly, a sign of Masamune's tightly-controlled emotional state.

"What would your recruits be if they did not have Asauchi?"

20. - Top - End - #830
    Orc in the Playground

"You are correct, Masamune-dono. This is not 'just' an issue of chain of command. Rather, it is an issue in regards to the steel from which the links of that very chain are formed." Nobutada replies without missing a beat. "I am sure you are familiar with the issues unique to different power structures. Decentralized decision architectures have higher adaptability, but have issues with accountability and individual oversight. Centralized decision-making, on the other hand, are only as fast as the highest necessary link in the chain of command. At the time the Red Pheasant had come to Soul Society, the Commander-General had been busy coordinating with our Mortal allies regarding the Quincy situation and the measures that had to be taken in order to survive the conflict. Upon his return, the damage had already been done. And this is just conjecture, but..." Nobutada strokes his chin. "...I suspect young Ishinomori may have opted to seek forgiveness rather than permission because he did not want to disappoint his predecessor in handling this crisis by risking further damage to morale and Seireitei both. Some of the noble houses are absolutely terrified of what the outcome of this situation might mean for their survival in the long run, never mind their standing, now that Central 46 has been completely vacated. Which, in point of fact, is likely the issue young Ishinomori will want to address the quickest as soon as the current crisis is resolved." By which he means the strange explosions off in the distance. At least the sounds of battle appear to have stopped now.

"If I had to guess, my answer to that question would be 'that much more applied in the use of Hakuda', but I understand your point.

I am not suggesting his actions go unpunished. But if it is his loyalty that is being called into question, then I feel there is greater benefit in dispelling the shadows cast against that loyalty than to simply chastise him for his actions.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot recall an exact protocol for such a situation as has taken place here. We may presume what it is or what it should be, but the lack of precedent alone speaks to how incredibly unusual the circumstances are."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

[Elsewhere; Combat Division training grounds]

After things quieted down, Senshi resumed his training, in preparation to face his inner demons again.

Physically, he feels better than ever. Objectively he's probably done more in a single workout than he ever has, yet he still feels like he's slacking. He even visited Death by Fire in the Thousand Deaths training course, but found it considerably less interesting than before when he found out he doesn't really burn anymore. Funny, that.

Mentally, he's not so sure.

The stray thought about Kiba has come back to haunt him a couple of times. Kenpachi, too. And a couple of other folks who were around just a year ago, but aren't now.

Because of Scarlet Garden.

Because of the Hollows.

Because of Arrancars of Las Noches.

Because of Jehoel Yurius. Who Senshi saw just a while ago, supervising that spar between Masaru-taichou and that weird old dude, like he was part of the crowd.

Back then, he was too preoccupied with the fight (which was awesome) to think about it, but now he's thinking about it, and he doesn't like it.

How did his new shoulder devil put it? "Can't run from your own head?" Well maybe Senshi needs to try harder.

After a thorough shower and cleaning of his sword, Senshi decides to see if Hiraku Masaru has returned to his office. He needs a permission. And maybe someone to talk to.

---

[Elsewhere; Shinigami Science Institute]

Junior Researcher Yamamoto Sayuri has been sleeping like a baby.

Which is odd, because she'd have a lot of reasons to lose her sleep. But though the Royal Assassin's power upon her is fading, Sayuri still remembers that feeling when all worry and doubt was cut off her. Thinking back upon that feeling has proven to be a great form of stress relief.

For the same reason, when she woke up and learned that an outsider had gone berserk and wrecked East Gate hospital, she wasn't overly concerned. Her fellow Shinigami will take care of it. Besides, after all that's happened, it'd be a miracle if Medicine & Logistics wasn't prepared for it.

Though on that note, she finds herself mildly angry. Letting in outsiders has so not worked in the recent past, so who is letting these weird people in? If she weren't so chill at the moment, she'd start wondering when Jehoel will drop his other shoe.

Oh well. She still has numbers to crunch pertaining to the changes made to the Senkaimon network and whether the Void-based bypass jury-rigged by Engineer Corps will actually last. She goes to fetch some coffee and runs into Head Researcher Castus Vern.

"Good morning, Vern-san" , she says cheerily while waiting for cup to fill.

Vern is in considerably less Chipper. "It's afternoon. You've slept the whole day."

Sayuri shrugs and takes a sip of steaming hot caffeinated sludge. "I pulled an all-nighter figuring all the horrible things you, Takenaka Chouko and the Yellow Ki-Rin Empress have done to the fabric of reality. You're welcome."

Vern just looks at her subordinate while leaning to a wall, arms crossed. " Speaking of, you know the Empress is here, right? "

Sayuri shrugs again. " You mean, in Soul Society? Or here in the Institute? "

"Soul Society" , Vern responds. "But I think it's only a matter if time before someone from the Guard comes here. What will you say when they do?"

Sayuri is not quite following. "What, me? I'm just a junior researcher."

Vern snorts. "Didn't seem to be a concern to the Red Pheasant. You were its most direct assistant."

"Hmmm, true" , Sayuri admits without a care in the world. "Now that I think of it, meeting someone else from the Guard would be exciting. I have so many questions!"

Vern's mouth twists in a half frown. "Yeah, well. I think someone else might need to ask those questions before you do. By which I mean Ishinomori." He stands up straight. "We need to give him a call and make sure that, if he's about to make a ruckus before the Guard again, he'll at least do it for the right reasons."

Come night, Ishinomori Koutarou's phone starts ringing. Hopefully he has time to pick it up...

22. - Top - End - #832
    Orc in the Playground

After a little while, a voice comes up on the other end.

"The person you're trying to reach is currently unavailable, out of reach or their phone may be offline, please leave a message after the beep. *beep*"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Right After The Battle
    [Seireitei]
    Battlefield

Now that Rei is no longer extending a hand to Naito, the hybrid pushes up into an unsteady standing position. Naito looks over their body before shaking their head at Masaru.

"I'll be..."

Naito pokes at their arm before peeling off a huge section of dead skin. Wrinkling their nose, the Quincy casts it aside.

"...Eugh...fine. My body hasn't fully adjusted to my Schrift yet."

Naito takes a few halting steps towards the edge of the crater. Around this time, Aoi shows up, approaching the edge of the crater on foot. She looks around at the destruction, seemingly impassive.
    [The battlefield]

"Speaking of wounded, this battle did a number on one of our primary medical facilities. As Commander-General of the Gotei, I should probably be very, very upset that you and yours brought this to our doorstep, young ones.

But you did it to save a friend, someone hurt through Von Geister's actions, whom is our responsibility, and at no small personal expense. Without your aid, it is doubtful we would have succeeded.

Please take as much time as you need to rest. I believe your teacher is still here and would like to speak to you lot at the earliest opportunity."
    Chuck swayed a bit as he sat, pulling out a phone.

"Someone...someone needs to call Earth. Tell them we're okay. Have them tell...tell our other friends. Who couldn't make it here in time."

Then Chuck fell over, asleep from raw exhaustion. Masaru sighed, walking over to the young man as orderlies came to place him on a stretcher. He took a few moments to copy the contact list into his arm's onboard computer before tucking the phone back into the young man's pockets. He made a note to send Chouko some booze.

"I'm willing to make the call, but perhaps one of you would be better suited for this?"

He regarded Naito and Shinji with curiosity, but not demand.

================================================== ===================================
    Conference Room
    "You are correct, Masamune-dono. This is not 'just' an issue of chain of command. Rather, it is an issue in regards to the steel from which the links of that very chain are formed." Nobutada replies without missing a beat. "I am sure you are familiar with the issues unique to different power structures. Decentralized decision architectures have higher adaptability, but have issues with accountability and individual oversight. Centralized decision-making, on the other hand, are only as fast as the highest necessary link in the chain of command. At the time the Red Pheasant had come to Soul Society, the Commander-General had been busy coordinating with our Mortal allies regarding the Quincy situation and the measures that had to be taken in order to survive the conflict. Upon his return, the damage had already been done. And this is just conjecture, but..." Nobutada strokes his chin. "...I suspect young Ishinomori may have opted to seek forgiveness rather than permission because he did not want to disappoint his predecessor in handling this crisis by risking further damage to morale and Seireitei both. Some of the noble houses are absolutely terrified of what the outcome of this situation might mean for their survival in the long run, never mind their standing, now that Central 46 has been completely vacated. Which, in point of fact, is likely the issue young Ishinomori will want to address the quickest as soon as the current crisis is resolved." By which he means the strange explosions off in the distance. At least the sounds of battle appear to have stopped now.

"If I had to guess, my answer to that question would be 'that much more applied in the use of Hakuda', but I understand your point.

I am not suggesting his actions go unpunished. But if it is his loyalty that is being called into question, then I feel there is greater benefit in dispelling the shadows cast against that loyalty than to simply chastise him for his actions.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot recall an exact protocol for such a situation as has taken place here. We may presume what it is or what it should be, but the lack of precedent alone speaks to how incredibly unusual the circumstances are."
    Masamune sat silently for over a minute before responding.

"I do appreciate your intent here, Instructor Nobutada. Do not believe I don't. Even if I would venture to say you are dangerously close to overstepping boundaries you do not wish to overstep. Understand this: the ultimate decision rests with the Royal Guard. Try to trust me when I say that myself and the Ki-Rin Empress do not intend to simply make this about the wrongs that the Commander-General has done."

For a fraction of a second the room's temperature was shockingly cold, before returning to a normal, comfortable temperature again.

"And trust me when I say that what he did is not something that can be easily set aside."

================================================== ======================
    Some Time After The Battle
    [Elsewhere; Combat Division training grounds]

After things quieted down, Senshi resumed his training, in preparation to face his inner demons again.

Physically, he feels better than ever. Objectively he's probably done more in a single workout than he ever has, yet he still feels like he's slacking. He even visited Death by Fire in the Thousand Deaths training course, but found it considerably less interesting than before when he found out he doesn't really burn anymore. Funny, that.

Mentally, he's not so sure.

The stray thought about Kiba has come back to haunt him a couple of times. Kenpachi, too. And a couple of other folks who were around just a year ago, but aren't now.

Because of Scarlet Garden.

Because of the Hollows.

Because of Arrancars of Las Noches.

Because of Jehoel Yurius. Who Senshi saw just a while ago, supervising that spar between Masaru-taichou and that weird old dude, like he was part of the crowd.

Back then, he was too preoccupied with the fight (which was awesome) to think about it, but now he's thinking about it, and he doesn't like it.

How did his new shoulder devil put it? "Can't run from your own head?" Well maybe Senshi needs to try harder.

After a thorough shower and cleaning of his sword, Senshi decides to see if Hiraku Masaru has returned to his office. He needs a permission. And maybe someone to talk to.
    Captain Masaru was, indeed in his office, and the person at the desk outside needed only a moment to confirm he was available. Senshi was escorted inside, where Masaru gestured to a seat.

"Have a seat, Senshi-san. What can I help you with?"

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

[Over the Phone]

The Head Researcher does leave a message. "This is Castus Vern. I heard the Royal Guard's in town and there's some questions we need you to ask. About them and from them. Hopefully you catch this message before you talk to them. Call me back ASAP."

After leaving the message, Vern sighs and ends the call. Figures Ishinomori would've done something to make himself unreachable. Maybe he should call forth a butterfly and see if that has any better luck? Oh, what the Hell. Castus Vern summons a jigokucho and sends it to look for Koutarou, carrying the same message. Then he goes to have dinner and tries his best to not think of the worst case scenario implied by what he just found out.

---

[Combat Division; Masaru's office]

Senshi is glad to see the Captain without delay and plops down in his seat when asked to. "Nothing big, Captain. Just thought, now that I'm back from vacation, I could up my training. Really get my sword arms swinging, you know?"
    He pantomimes a few swords swings, apparently just because he's excited.

"But the lesser courses aren't doing it for me anymore. So I'm here to ask for permission to enter the Hellpath. Starting tomorrow."

Business as usual. Every officer wants to give it a try at least once in a lifetime. There's just one hitch: if he looks up Senshi's dossier, Masaru will find a report telling him that Senshi returned from his vacation injured and amnesiac. Also that his body is undergoing a dramatic and possibly malignant transformation. And that the causes behind his amnesia implicate another Shinigami as the likely culprit.

25. - Top - End - #835

[Seireitei]
    Conference Room

It's around this time that Masamune receives a mental contact from Rin.

Preparations are complete. I will need to commence the ritual within ten minutes.

Battlefield

Naito just looks over at Shinji.

"You're up."

The hybrid begins to walk off. Aoi, for her part, waits patiently until the crater has been cleared to approach Masaru and Koutarou.

"I am capable of repairing the damage to the ground. Should I do so?"
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2018-08-03 at 11:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Orc in the Playground

[The battlefield]

Right now, Shinji is on his knees. He's crying. They're tears of joy - for once, his visions had been wrong, failing to take into account the actions of those stronger than himself. Failing to recognize the sheer strength of the bonds between them. As such, it takes him a little while to realize he's being addressed.

"We should... *sniff* ...see to everyone's injuries first. Naito's specially." He finally replies. "I'll call them back once everyone has been tended to. Naito's right, there's work to be done repairing the damaged structures here."

"Speaking of which, young lady, we would appreciate any help you can render in that regard. I need to contact the Engineering division so they can assess the damages as well; between you and them, I'm sure we can get the hospital functioning again in no time." Koutarou replies, having undone his transformation.

[The Conference Room]

"Ho ho ho... do not mind the ramblings of an old man such as myself, Masamune-dono. I already forget myself simply by dint of having this conversation. My student's choices are their own, but the criteria by which they make their choices... that is on me." Nobutada notes, apparently not having been intimidated. Masamune likely realized he came here prepared to step on a few toes, if it meant his student would be spared even a little. "I merely suggest that we establish protocol for the unlikely, yet possible event that such an issue happens again in the future. That is all." The old instructor finally rises, having finished his tea, and bows to the Royal Guardsman. "Thank you kindly for having taken the time to listen to me. And... if I may be so bold as to offer a piece of advice?"

[Much later]

Jigokuchou have an advantage over Reiphones. You can be sure that the message will reach them. Castus' phone rings sometime afterwards.

"Vern. Is something the matter? Sorry about taking so long, I was getting checked in at the hospital and I turned my phone off."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

[Over the Phone]

"Well there's lot of things which could be the matter" , Castus Vern replies tiredly. He just took a shower and was about to go to sleep. "I'd say there's two... no, three separate subjects. Let's start with the easy one. I heard the Royal Guard's back in town. So who exactly came this time? Was either Zheng Li Lin or Kisaragi Saruhiko among them?"

28. - Top - End - #838
    Orc in the Playground

[Over the phone]

"Neither. The ones that arrived were Masamune-dono, Rin-dono and Kusuma-dono. I expect that my predecessor is holding the fort at the Royal Palace since he's technically the junior member among them." And if they had any clue what happened beforehand, probably to avoid their bias in the matter... not that Koutarou expected any favors.

In fact, he probably expected a smack on the head from Zheng Li Lin.

"They... might be able to contact them, though. Is this about the spell that the Red Pheasant tried to activate?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

"No, it's not about the spell" , Vern replies. "It's about timing and... motives." His voice is stilted in a manner suggesting he's thinking through something at the same time he's speaking. "Don't you find it at all odd? That neither Zheng nor Kisaragi are here, I mean", he continues. "Think about it. They both were here just before and after the treaty with Las Noches were formed. Out of all people in the Guard, they would be most informed of recent events. Yet, they're nowhere in sight. And Yamamoto pointed out to me that Wan seemed unaware of a lot of things Zheng or Kisaragi could've told them. Suggesting Wan didn't ask and they didn't tell. "
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2018-08-04 at 06:48 AM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Conference Room
    [Seireitei]
    Conference Room

It's around this time that Masamune receives a mental contact from Rin.

Preparations are complete. I will need to commence the ritual within ten minutes.
    -I should be there in five.-
    [The Conference Room]

"Ho ho ho... do not mind the ramblings of an old man such as myself, Masamune-dono. I already forget myself simply by dint of having this conversation. My student's choices are their own, but the criteria by which they make their choices... that is on me." Nobutada notes, apparently not having been intimidated. Masamune likely realized he came here prepared to step on a few toes, if it meant his student would be spared even a little. "I merely suggest that we establish protocol for the unlikely, yet possible event that such an issue happens again in the future. That is all." The old instructor finally rises, having finished his tea, and bows to the Royal Guardsman. "Thank you kindly for having taken the time to listen to me. And... if I may be so bold as to offer a piece of advice?"
    Masamune regarded him with a level gaze.

"I see. Your thoughts have been noted, at the least. As for boldness, you have displayed much already, what is a bit more, young one?"

It's doubtful Nobutada is more than a fraction of Masamune's age, after all.

================================================== ===
    The Battlefield
    Battlefield

Naito just looks over at Shinji.

"You're up."

The hybrid begins to walk off. Aoi, for her part, waits patiently until the crater has been cleared to approach Masaru and Koutarou.

"I am capable of repairing the damage to the ground. Should I do so?"
    [The battlefield]

Right now, Shinji is on his knees. He's crying. They're tears of joy - for once, his visions had been wrong, failing to take into account the actions of those stronger than himself. Failing to recognize the sheer strength of the bonds between them. As such, it takes him a little while to realize he's being addressed.

"We should... *sniff* ...see to everyone's injuries first. Naito's specially." He finally replies. "I'll call them back once everyone has been tended to. Naito's right, there's work to be done repairing the damaged structures here."

"Speaking of which, young lady, we would appreciate any help you can render in that regard. I need to contact the Engineering division so they can assess the damages as well; between you and them, I'm sure we can get the hospital functioning again in no time." Koutarou replies, having undone his transformation.

Masaru shrugs at the children deciding to delay contact. It was there decision. Well, not the Reiniger's decision, but still. He deferred to Koutarou on the question of building assistance.
    ================================================== ==============
    Some Time After The Battle
    [Combat Division; Masaru's office]

Senshi is glad to see the Captain without delay and plops down in his seat when asked to. "Nothing big, Captain. Just thought, now that I'm back from vacation, I could up my training. Really get my sword arms swinging, you know?"
    He pantomimes a few swords swings, apparently just because he's excited.

"But the lesser courses aren't doing it for me anymore. So I'm here to ask for permission to enter the Hellpath. Starting tomorrow."

Business as usual. Every officer wants to give it a try at least once in a lifetime. There's just one hitch: if he looks up Senshi's dossier, Masaru will find a report telling him that Senshi returned from his vacation injured and amnesiac. Also that his body is undergoing a dramatic and possibly malignant transformation. And that the causes behind his amnesia implicate another Shinigami as the likely culprit.
    Masaru had discretely pulled up Senshi's file before the soldier came in, and regarded it in his peripheral vision even as he evaluated the Shinigami in front of him. He waited several moments before responding.

"Permission delayed. I'm not opposed to you taking the Hellpath in principle, but I want to ensure that you're in your best health before you do. We cannot afford to have Shinigami laid up because they took the Path while disguising something else. I understand you feel well now, but the doctors indicate they'd like to continue to monitor you. Not to mention there are questions about your...lost time...that need answered. I do not question your loyalty, your dedication, or your passion, Senshi-san. I am merely concerned with your well-being."