New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Gai-len 2.0 (IC)

"An outpost would be a good target. They'd have supplies, both in weapons, food and water."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Renard Montoya

When Kaladin asked about what to do with the orc and Hrothgar mentioned attacking settlements Renard began to say something but in the end kept his mouth shut to observe whether or not these two will actually descend to such behavoir or they was just using it as a intimidation method. His own usual behavoir might have been affected by what has happened, but he wasn't going to slip down that particular slippery slope...where he became worse than the creatures they we're sent to fight. The orc proved to be holding something back and Kaldadin looked more eager to attack a military target, which lines up more with his own endeavors.

"I agree, a military target will be better to attack, rather than involve civilians in our affairs. A military outpost will probably have some information we can use as well as supplies. I too would like to know about the caravns and outposts." He looks pointedly at the orc.
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show
    Lea - Gangs of Freeport(Pathfinder)

Spoiler: Previous Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, the karavan stops are usually abandoned, unless a karavan is stopping by. It´s usually some sheds, a well and a fireplace." He shrugs as he tells you this. "What do you want to know about the military outpost? Other than that it has a wall, dozens of trained men, horses and, well to be honest, a tendency to be lethal to those that attack it." He peers at you intently: "Surely you don´t have a death wish. I mean, one trained Ogre is not the same as a host of well-trained soldiers."

"What is it you seek to do here? For wealth, raid the karavans, it will cripple our society more than dead soldiers. For a glorious death in combat, do face our army..."

4. - Top - End - #94

ElfRangerGuy

"Hmph", Lady Adris mutters, considering her options. "If we are considering either option, we'll need to begin formulating a plan of attack and scouting locations or caravan paths."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Kaladin nods in satisfaction, he had expected not very much from this orc, and he seemed genuine. But they couldn't ask him questions all day, he was giving information, but at a slow pace. They would need to move, get ready for any ambushes they made, this whole mission, was going to be a balance of guerrilla tactics, attacking, and then fading away, to survive another day.

"We need to do something other than question this orc, we should setup an ambush for the military detail that is going to come for this lumber, it's nice here, and it will allow us to recoup, and test their military tactics and procedures at the same time. If we can capture one of them, we'll be able to get much more detailed info. Then we can formulate our plan, move and then hit our next target." he stops, turns to look at everyone. "I know I'm not in charge here, but we have to decide now what we're doing. We can run a very effective guerrilla war upon these people, which involves us picking targets, hitting hard, and then withdrawing, and moving to another target. Constantly. We could disrupt this whole region if done right. Or, we could head home, back to where we came, with our tails between our legs. I think, personally, that we're in a very specific, and favorable position to do some damage upon these folk, maybe cause enough disruption that the next party would land without issues?"

Shrugging he continues, "Either way, this orc knows too much, and needs to be dealt with." he says, turning and pointing an finger at the orc.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Renard Montoya

"I concur. Are we sure the wood is being picked up here though?" He continues to look at the orc. "Otherwise I agree with what you've said about setting up an ambush. I will not slaughter civilians though...just those who have accepted the same risks and rewards as us. Guards, soldiers, leaders, and others like them. Let me deal with the orc while you guys get ready for whatever we're going to do."
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Hrothgar nods at Kal's words. Aye. We can recuperate here and then take the military detail that comes fer the wood. Then start on the out posts and caravans I guess. Economic damage may be best bet "

At Renard's words he glances up in surprise. " You actually going tae deal with him or just kiss him better and let him warn his fellows. I don't care if this one has a hat, it's still an orc."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

The Orc nods: "Yes, the wood is here and we were not going to move it. Don´t see how." It is indeed a fairly massive pile of wood that needs two, maybe three large carts to transport.

9. - Top - End - #99

ElfRangerGuy

"I am in agreement. Let us test a military detail. As with what to do with this one, he either gets enchanted or he's dealt with in a permanent manner. I leave that detail to someone else. I will not harm an unarmed opponent, even if they are an Orc."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Slowly the conversation shifts to attacking the pick-up crew and towards tactics concerning that. After a while the Orc scratches his neck casually: "So, ehh....do you need me for anything else, or, ehh...?"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

You "curse" the Orc, who seems to believe he is cursed, though he is not as gullible as the first Orc. You tie him up with the other Orc, who is still terrified of you and dares not speak. You do get the impression that the more sophisticated Orc you now bind to the tree may figure out in the long run that he was not cursed at all.

You spend 2 days in the meadow, waiting for the pick-up crew. While this sounds terribly boring, after what you have been through this is like a luxury holiday. You can provide food, there is water, a nice temperature, shade for those that prefer shade and the soft grasses in the meadow feel like the most expensive bed ever crafted. Actually, at times the feeling creeps up that you are too comfortable. There are more important things at hand, though. In the distance you hear the sounds of cartwheels. They are coming.

You seek out your agreed hiding places. Hrothgar has given you pointers and created solid hiding places for you, and you are confident you won´t be seen. It looks like the pick-up crew has sent a forward scouting team: Two Orcs, obviously soldiers...chain shirts, shields, axes and javelins. They enter the small path towards the meadow, talking about some sports match they both watched. When they see the pile, one of them points. The other whispers sharply and in the distance you hear the cartwheels grinding. Probably this small path is not so easy to traverse with carts, so they wanted to make sure the wood was actually there. The two scouting Orcs stand about, continuing their conversation. Based on the sound, you estimate the cart may be here in a minute.

To Fireball or not to Fireball?

Map (icons corresponding to speech colour...Kaladin red-ish, Renard Brown/Orang-ish)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Kaladin sees the orcs and waits, fireballing them there would be too premature, and if he could get them by the wood, it will catch fire, or more will come. He waits for now, fingers ready to cast the spell as he watches.

Spoiler
    Show

He'll ready to cast a fireball if one of them notices us.

If not, he'll wait until the cart gets here with more troopers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

A minute later you hear the ruckus of more Orcs arriving. Two more come and join the first soldiers in the field, towards the pile of wood. They stand around, duiscussing that these Ogres apparently do know how to stack wood. You get the feeling Orcs are very familiar with Ogres, deal with them on a regular basis but also tend to feel slightly superior, more intelligent, evolved. They continue discussing a strategy to load the logs, as another orc positions two horses and a cart. It turns out that the cart is nothing more than a wheeled crossbeam with chains. They probably drag the logs out of the forest along a trail and have a proper cart outside the forest.

Map

To reflex save, or not to save?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Kaladin finally sees the moment open up, and his fingers release the spell that was held there.

Spoiler
    Show

(7d6+11)[32]
    Ref save DC 17 for half
    Center of fireball is intersecting L/M 9/10

initiative - (1d20+2)[10]
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-10-10 at 09:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

There is something serene about Fireballs. The barely audible woosh that announces its arrival, the bright light, the plop of a small vacuum that was created and then the screams and shouts of terror, the scent of seared flesh, the sound of burning equipment, and the moans of the sole survivor, crawling, dying, covered in his mates´blood. Magic is art, some might claim. Others might claim it is messy business.

Kaladin´s Fireball takes out three of the four Orcs. They were probably not that well-trained, or this Fireball was just rather hefty. Or both. The fourth Orc lies on the ground, moaning. Unless he gets medical attention, he probably won´t make it. The fifth Orc looks at the scene, as if nailed to the ground with open mouth.

The party gets a surprise round. Please also include an initiative roll with your post.

Spoiler: DMRolls
    Show
    (1d20+2)[9]
    (1d20+2)[8]

16. - Top - End - #106

ElfRangerGuy

Lady Aderis draws her sword and puts her sheild in front of her as she steps towards the survivors, hoping for some swordplay.
    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+1)[7]

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Hrothgar smiles behind his beard at the fire washing over the orcs consuming them. Seeing most of them falling and toppling to the ground burning he spins around and bounds through the woods twin axes in hand to burst out beside the orc by the cart, a terrifying smile on his bearded face.

Spoiler: Hrothgar
    Show

Double move to beside the orc by the cart

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Renard Montoya

surprise round
    Smiling at seeing a swift resoltion to a problem involving enemy soldiers resulting from his groups spellcasters Renard moves aside of Kaladin and advances toward the only credible threat left. He would have fired except for the very thick foliage which obscures the target too much.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    move action - move 15 ft closer to the orc (I'm assuming half movement so Q16-P15-P13 further if our movement isn't that impaired)

Spoiler: combat stats
    Show
    Init (1d20+3)[9]
    AC 20, touch 14, flat-footed 17 (+3 Dex, +6 armor, +1 deflection)
    HP 45
    Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +4
    Grp +7
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2016-10-18 at 09:49 PM.
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    When you exit the foliage and face the Orc, you spot another Orc further down the path, at R1

Spoiler: Renard
    Show

Just pointing out that if you go to the meadow and move over the grass, you can move more towards the Orc. You´d give up surprise, of course, but still. You could end up at O6 with good line of sight to shoot, for example.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Renard Montoya

round 1
    Renard continues to put one foot in front of the other drawing closer to the orc and carts position. He calmly stalks forward hoping the fireball made enough noise and drew enough attention to mask any noise or moving shadows he's making.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    move and standard action - double move 30 ft closer to the orc P13-P7(if close enough to see the orc he'll raise the bow at the end of his movement)

Spoiler: combat stats
    Show
    AC 20, touch 14, flat-footed 17 (+3 Dex, +6 armor, +1 deflection)
    HP 45
    Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +4
    Grp +7
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Hrothgar sees the second orc further down the path and ducks around the startled one by the cart to reach the second one, axe chopping down hard as the habdaxe readies for the fight to come.

Show

Move to further away orc and hit him
    (1d20+12)[25] dam (1d10+9)[10]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Pleased with the way the fireball had worked, Kaladin moves through the underbrush to follow his companions and not get lost behind.

Spoiler
    Show

Double move after Renard, so single move through difficult terrain.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

The blast Kaladin produced surprised the Orcs, allowing you a fair amount of actions before the Orcs get to act. Kaladin and Renard move northwards, choosing to stay in the cover of the forest and Sahreen also stays in hiding. Lady Aderis moves out into the open and inspects the mayhem caused by the Fireball. She concludes that none of the Orcs that were in the blast will survive, they all look pretty dead to her and if there is still a breath being taken, it is likely one of the "last kind".

Hrothgar chooses the offense and darts and leaps to the path, running beyond the Orc everyone can see and to a second Orc a bit further on the path. He lands a solid blow, but not solid enough to slay the Orc.

Finally, the Orcs are released from the state of shock from the Fireball and start to act. The Orc next to Hrothgar draws a sword and lunges at the Dwarf:

Spoiler: Attack on Hrothgar:
    Show

Attack (1d20+6)[26], crit confirm (result of 25-26): (1d20+6)[10]. Damage (1d8+4)[9], crit damage, if applicable (1d8+4)[8]

The Orc next to the horses retrieves something from his pocket and shouts: "Attack! The Horn....Blow the Horn!" While shouting he throws something towards the meadow. It is a fist-sized object, and it looks like a gem of sorts. *plock-plock-thud* it bounces off the pile of wood and lands in the grass.

Map, the party may act.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Hrothgar grunts as the orc blade cuts into his shoulder. Growling an oath he brings up the buckler and handaxe in a defensive Patten a he hews at the orc. A shout of "Get the one by the cart lads, don't let it blow the horn!"

Show

Full attack
    (1d20+11)[21] dam (1d10+9)[19] + (1d6)[5]
    (1d20+6)[14] dam (1d10+9)[13] + (1d6)[6]
    (1d20+11)[18] dam (1d6+7)[8] + (1d6)[1]

HPs 65/74
    AC 21 (touch 14, FF 17)
    Saves +14/6/6 (+2 vs poison, spells)

Last edited by DrK; 2016-10-31 at 12:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Kaladin moves through the forest with haste, he had no skill like the others, and so it was a little clumsy, but, he got through, hearing his dwarf friend, he surveyed the scene before him, the bloody fiery remains of his handiwork directly behind him, and shook his head at loosing another fireball.

Spells scrolled down a mental list as he thought through the situation, as to what would be the best suited for this instance. He kept coming back to one spell, shrugging his shoulders, he intoned the words, and bought his hands up to his chest, wrists together, and palms outwards, and then pushed them forward, unleashing a massive bolt of lightning before him, twisting, jerking, and dancing with electrical deadliness.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to O6
    Cast Lightning Bolt through O column
    Lightning - (7d6+11)[33] DC 17 Ref for half.
    SpellPen - (1d20+7)[9]
    Concentration - (1d20+15)[20] Check for Casting Defensively, because hey, they might have invisible creatures around :P
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Hrothgar professionally hacks the Orc to pieces, hitting with two out of three attacks. One thing is for sure, this Orc won´t be shouting for reinforcements any time s*kazaa*!CRAAACK!, a thunder bolt jolts through the space behind Hrothgar, and diminishes not only the Orc, but also the horses and cart to ashes.

Well, that´s taken care of. Or is it? You get the feeling that this is not over yet, even though every Orc (and horse and cart) in sight is dead as can be.

You can make one full round action plus one standard action (with this creepy feeling in mind) before things that might happen may actually happen.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Kaladin grins for a moment as he sees everything in sight fall.

There was only ever one good kill. And that was overkill.

He looked to the dwarf and frowned, he was hit, not bad, but hit. He concentrated for a moment, and placed his Aegis upon him. Bold Lines of golden energy formed around him, as if a suit of armor, eldritch sigils glowing and rotating slowly at important junctions of power, barely only slightly above his own armor and skin, but it stayed with him as he moved.

Done he narrowed his eyes and they lit up when he recalled something, moving with haste, he ran over to the cart to pick up the jewel that the one orc threw down.

Spoiler
    Show

Assign Arcane Aegis to Hrothgar (+4 Morale bonus to AC)

Double move to H12, just makes it. But I'll need to pick it up next round.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Hrothgar raises an axe in salute as the glowing aegis settles round him. "Thor's wrath eh! I like it. Can you see any more of the buggers eh?"

He backs towards the cart, eyes searching, orc senses on!

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Using "detect orc"
    Perception (1d20+7)[23]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Hrothgar focuses his senses as Kaladin speeds to the object in order to pick it up. At this point combat (i.e. initiative-based actions) ends (for now). Hrothgar does not detect any Orcs in the nearest vicinity. However, the cart the brought was only good for moving logs out of the forest, so it stands to reason that a cart suitable for long-distance transport is present outside the forest and it may very well be that this cart is attended by one or more Orcs. Kaladin can look down the path the Orcs you killed came from, and it is for sure longer than 60 feet. After roughly 80 feet it bends to the left.

Kaladin reaches the object and can pick it up. It is a gem or crystal of sorts. Kaladin is not big on appraising or crafting jewelry so you have no idea of the value or the nature (is it actually a gem or a crystal, and what kind of gem then, and what is the difference between a gem and a crystal...is there a difference?). It is fist-sized and cut so it has eight sides. It is transparent but with a light-blue hue, just like the water in some clear lakes. Since folks refer to such waters as "crystal-clear" it feels safe to assume this is a crystal. Anyway, more importantly, it seems to pulsate. Nothing visible, audible or tangible, though. Maybe it is Kaladin´s nature as a creature of magic that allows him to detect the sensation. It is not obviously benign or malign, you just sense that this object holds some form of energy.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Picking up the gem or jewel or, whatever it was, he felt the item with interest for a moment, it pulsed. Obviously magic, but he lacked the ability to detect such things, so he pocketed the item, and moved over to Hrothgar.

"There is most likely more around that curve" he points down the road to the bend to the left "Care to go hunting?" he says with a smile. "You can move through the woods, and I'll take the road, be the anvil to your hammer." Kaladin knew he was no good hiding, and would only give their position away, so he would provide a much better distraction.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A