New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A other party?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default A other party?

Is the team Evil actually a other party of PC's?
    I think of it because they got a few typical features of them.
    Xykon builds his Char after the actual mechanics, to min-max his abilities, makeing Iteams himself to get better things. Redcloak is a 'the Face'-Character and, while offensiv powerfull, put more on the support-focus. MitD is... well, we don't know, probably a NPC Mary-Sue... need to ad that to the MitD therad... getting powers as the DM demands, for the sake of plot. The 4th person, someone who dies to often and makes himself a bunch of backups to rejoin the party.
    Last edited by Generic-Guy; 2016-09-04 at 02:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: A other party?

I don't know if you're used to 4th or 5th edition, but in 3.5ed, the things you name aren't restricted to PCs; NPCs, including enemies, use the same mechanics as PCs.

Grey Wolf will be sad if you post in the MitD thread that the creature in the darkness is something Rich made up.

Edited: Oh, you already did.
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-09-04 at 01:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Generic-Guy View Post
    Is the team Evil actually a other party of PC's?
    I think of it because they got a few typical features of them.
    Xeron builds his Char after the actual mechanics, to min-max his abilities, makeing Iteams himself to get better things. Redcloak is a 'the Face'-Character and, while offensiv powerfull, put more on the support-focus. MitD is... well, we don't know, probably a NPC Mary-Sue... need to ad that to the MitD therad... getting powers as the DM demands, for the sake of plot. The 4th person, someone who dies to often and makes himself a bunch of backups to rejoin the party.
    Those aren't PC traits, they're just D&D character traits.

And revealing new powers as the plot progresses is not the same as making up new powers as the plot demands. Good authors don't frontload their stories with every possible detail you'll ever need to know, they reveal them as the story progresses. If you actually think Rich is just making up every new development on the fly then I seriously hope you never decide to write a book, because you clearly don't know how story structure works.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, i know that they are not resticted to PC, but they are getting a ton of screentime and act very PC'ish, doeing things like looting dungeons (even when for higher goals) and getting actually enemys to battle, on and offscreen. Real rolled out battles that could even kill them (Well, most time they are to OP to get in real danger, but well... not allways).
    They earn even ther XP the regular way.

And Mary Sue's arent totaly made up by the giant. There are tons of them out there.
    ^_^ I admit, Mary Sue is a very lightheaded idea. But it kinda makes sence, we just still don't know what exactly he is, so how should he be a PC?

5. - Top - End - #5

The alternatives aren't "he's a Mary Sue" or "he's a PC."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was more like: He is a NPC because i belive that PC would state theyr race clear. But That is not the point of the therad...

Is the idea that Team Evil is a PC group THAT stupid?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Who's Xeron?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Xykon... I am a moron... a realy dump person...also, i have a very hard time remembering names...even real ones...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'm inclined to take Redcloak at his word when he declares himself an NPC in the preface for On the Origin of PCs.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

In OOTSland, PC essentially is another word for central protagonist. Remember that this world operates not only by the rules of D&D, but also on the conventions of fiction, so the concept of good guys and bad guys is a real thing here and not just based on perception. The Order are PCs because they are the protagonists, and Team Evil are not PCs because they are the antagonists.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    In OOTSland, PC essentially is another word for central protagonist. Remember that this world operates not only by the rules of D&D, but also on the conventions of fiction, so the concept of good guys and bad guys is a real thing here and not just based on perception. The Order are PCs because they are the protagonists, and Team Evil are not PCs because they are the antagonists.
    Ok, that makes sence.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OP, don't be so hard on yourself. You're throwing ideas out there, that's good. So what if they get shot down, that's happened to like 90% of my ideas as well. the other 10% have been real humdingers, though. Keep reading and thinking and posting.

In particular, please don't put yourself down on your own thread, even if you're just joking. I feel bad for you.

You know something's wrong when you made the Sith Lord get all teary-eyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Xykon... I am a moron... a realy dump person...also, i have a very hard time remembering names...even real ones...
    Heh, don't be so hard on yourself, but c'mon, not only is he one of the eight most important characters in the story, the story is also on this website for you to look up if you can't remember it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I don't think Team Evil are PCs... it feels to me like they are the DM's custom-made Bad Guys, there to drive plot and frustrate the OOTS. But what about the Linear Guild? Or the Vector Legion, or the Order of the Scribble? All are shadowy mirrors of the OOTS, like a set of characters made by the same six players... or parties inspired by or the inspiration of the original Order. I'm getting pretty meta here, but I could see the LG as a set of PCs whose players only drop into the game and again because they don't have as much time or stuff. And now I've got to work out who corresponds to who in each Order/Guild/Legion, or it'll drive me crazy.

15. - Top - End - #15

I think the similarities between every adventuring party in OotS are better put down to Rich having a particular preferred adventuring party template.
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-09-05 at 02:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think the similarities between every adventuring party in OotS are better put down to Rich having a particular preferred adventuring party template.
    You may be right, but the Linear Guild at least was quite obsessed with their evil opposites theme (or at least Nale was), and Rich might be giving us a bit of insight into the Order's design here http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0819.html
    And maybe (and I am going out into the great wide sea of speculation here) each member of Soon's gang represents some fatal flaw of each of Roy's gang: Soon representing a Roy who puts the mission before his teammates, Dorukan displaying Vaarsuvius' overconfidence in magic... It's not a strong theory, but I personally feel that the 6-person parties are all that way for narrative reasons. Or maybe I'm just having flashbacks to studying Of Mice And Men in English.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lightbulb Re: A other party?

Redcloak openly stated that he is an NPC, and that he never felt that having a lack of a player affected him any. He also called the PCs prima donnas.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Fascinating discussion. As I recall, Eugene's adventuring party in Start of Darkness (?) didn't have six members, what's everyone's take on that? Was it because they were only on that one page in a prequel book and served very Little narrative purpose?

19. - Top - End - #19

Four members, yeah. And the Five Foot Steps party had five members. Rich is less committed to the six-member party template than I initially thought. All of them seem to have a divine spellcaster, an arcane spellcaster, a rogue, and at least one member of a class (almost or entirely) with 1/1 BAB. One or two other people are optional (though usually present).

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Redcloak openly stated that he is an NPC, and that he never felt that having a lack of a player affected him any. He also called the PCs prima donnas.
    I had no idea Redcloak (or anyone else) were quite aware that they were NPCs (although the mooks seem to know: see the "I killed a PC t-shirt"). I can't imagine Tarquin accepting being an NPC, and most of his characterization deals with his assumption that he is most definitely a PC and his son isn't.

Did Redcloak need divination/wisdom check/int check for this? Tarquin should have more than a few bonuses available but still doesn't appear to know.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Did Redcloak need divination/wisdom check/int check for this? Tarquin should have more than a few bonuses available but still doesn't appear to know.
    Denial. It is strong in Tarquin. That said, why do you think Tarquin doesn't know? He likes to think he is the BBEG in Elan's story, which requires him to be an NPC.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2016-09-07 at 01:05 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    I had no idea Redcloak (or anyone else) were quite aware that they were NPCs (although the mooks seem to know: see the "I killed a PC t-shirt"). I can't imagine Tarquin accepting being an NPC, and most of his characterization deals with his assumption that he is most definitely a PC and his son isn't.

Does Tarquin really think he's a PC? He revels in being a villain, in being the one in charge of the Evil Empire that the PCs overthrow.

EDIT: And now I realize I just more or less repeated Grey_Wolf's post.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2016-09-07 at 02:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"PC" in the order of the stick universe seems to be a very loose term that appears to just mean "Protagonist" or “Main character” or maybe even “adventurer”, as the story itself isn't a translation of someones D&D game, but rather a story of real events happening in a world in which D&D rules merely apply. so no "Players" as you know them exist in this world.

Though Redcloak's Preface in origin of PC's does have a little talk about NPC'S, talking mostly about how He himself is an NPC and not a PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcloak; Origin of PC's
    "But as i mentioned, i am not a PC, so i cannot comment on their respective trials and tribulations, i am, in fact, an NPC- or "Non Player Character""
    "Frankly, I’ve never thought not having a player has ever negatively impacted my life, i mean, i don't sit around listlessly wishing on a star that someone would play me. Heck, as far as I’m concerned, the presence of players is a necessary evil at best."
    So we know for a fact Redcloak is not a PC. He does talk about having "players" and not having players, so it's possible that PC's in the stick-verse might have something along the lines of simple spirits guiding/blessing their quest invisibly? Though since the preface is most likely non-canon story-wise, as well as aimed directly at us, breaking the fourth wall, it's most likely referring to Players as WE know them, rather then to how they exist in Redcloak's world.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Thirding: You can't imagine Tarquin accepting not being a PC? He seems very much aware that he's an antagonist (thus, an NPC). He's just under the misapprehension that the overall campaign is about Elan battling his father, rather than Roy Greenhilt battling Xykon.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Huh. I've had On the Origin of PCs for years and either didn't know, or forgot, that Redcloak "wrote" the introduction to that book. Thanks Jasdoif for reminding me.

26. - Top - End - #26

Planetar

But What if team evil started as NPCs but then were "taken over" by players to become PCs. The DM has both parties in the same world, whenever we focus on team evil it's their session and when we focus on the order of the stick it's their session. The DM sometimes has both parties together for a face-off now and then. With the Tarquins team Tarquin, Malack, Laurin, and Mirion are guest player the DM invited over for a few sessions and the other teammates (the cat-girl and shoulder pads) are NPCs

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDancer View Post
    But What if team evil started as NPCs but then were "taken over" by players to become PCs.
    There are no players.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Heck, there isn't even a DM...
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Didn't Redcloak mention players at one point?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Didn't Redcloak mention players at one point?
    In the foreword of On the Origin of PCs, mentioned above.