New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: A Heroes Challenge IC (Worm-Verse Game)

Digging Deeper

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    Patch frown grows deeper. "Are you suggesting that someone were controlling him?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    "Hang on. Mind control?! Do we know anyone capable of that level of power?" Ji Yu sounded shaken at the possibility, not really wanting it to be possible.
    "Wait.. that’s not what I meant." Echo held up her hands, then slowly let them down. The thought was extremely scary, she started thinking about who or what could have been mind controlled. It was a road she started running don headlong before she brought herself up short.
    "Plenty. The PRT doesn't want to talk about it much though, I guess it's bad for cape reputation and instill mistrust in the public. One instance is Heartbreaker who can make people his obediant slaves given enough time. I also heard about this one villain that cripples a guy by making him try to ehm.. connect parts of himself that weren't designed for being connected. The name slipped though. something with bird." Patch looks appropriately disturbed by the idea.

After a moment''s silence, he adds: "We actually have two locals who would fit the memo. Mind Swipe, from Panther's Fang, can fully control one victim at a time, see through their eyes and have access to their memories in addition to access to the memories of those the victim touch, and Control, from Upgrade, can put chips in people''s necks and when they come outside of 50ft from them they just follow the last order given."

He then pauses, thinking. "It's not impossible that the whole thing was a test of us. Do you want to bring this up to the others?" the last part equally directed to the two others.
    "Ok, it’s an option that might have happened. But just the thought is making me paranoid. So let’s keep it in the back of our minds, but not jump to any conclusions.. At least not ones that scare the he..ck out of me. And if I think about it, if you had somebody as powerful as Peacemeal under your control, would you waste him on a few new heroes who had only been in town for a few days. It’s a waste of resources if nothing else."
    “But let’s check for chips often.”

"I can see that I would sorta default into controlling it. But I just want to be sure that we all benefit from it. I'll check in with what people want and need when we get out next money injection."
    "Well that’s settled then. Chief Scientist and Senior Accountant all rolled into one."
    Poking fun at their tinker’s perfectly natural aversion to paperwork had her mirroring Ji Yu’s grin.

Ji Yu turned her grin to Josie as the woman spoke sheepishly about being a leader. "I like it. You're decisive, it's good."
    "Pfff. Never really thought of myself as a leader. And definitely not a decisive one." She waved off the other woman’s compliment, but she smiled briefly at the compliment. She liked having command almost as much as she was scared of making mistakes while in command and votes of confidence helped her curb a bit of that fear.

"Also thanks for letting me try to communicate with Piecemeat before we engaged even if it was unfruitful."
    "You say that like it was my decision. It wasn’t. " she said emphatically
    " We’re a team, all of us planned the engagement together and I’d of loved to settle things peacefully. "

"Also" he says comming back along to something Josie asked about earlier: "On the topic of physical enhancement there is many many options. One of the simplest ones would be to surround out bones with carbon fibre such that something like what happened to PinPoint doesn't happen to us. Another one would be to artificially stimulate our muscles. Then there's a whole category of beneficial drugs and gene manipulation. If you want to impose more drastic means Oscar Pistorius were banned from running in the olympics for a time because his non-tinker-made artificial legs gave him an unfair advantage against able-bodied runners..." Jack leaves the sentence unfinished, not able to resist the urge of playing the mad scientist.
    Ji Yu nodded briefly at Jack's suggestions regarding physical enhancement. "Not that I think we should replace our legs - some of us have fantastic legs - but the carbon fibre grafting has definitely gotten my attention. Have you done it before? What's the recovery time like?"
    "It has never been done before, without powers it simply wouldn't be possible. But that goes for all the stuff I've done in PRT this far. I hadn't really shot before we fought Windfist and co. either. Of all the things I've done though I'm pretty confident with this stuff since I used to work in a related area. It'll require extensive testing of course, I'm not risking anything with you guys. As an extra security measure I'd want to run some simulations in addition to normal testing done with similar things. Do you want me to look into it in more details?"
    "I’m a bit squeamish about drugs and genetic tampering and I don’t really want to look like some sort of body builder, but anything else sounds somewhat good."
    "Would it help if you had Force and Deft to test? "
    "I don’t know if there are Brute and Mover tests on file you already know, or if it’s any use at all, but if I can help just give me the word."
    "And Sharp can help with design, bouncing ideas off of each other or anything you need. I’m pretty smart two hours out of every three."
    "I don’t want to overtax you though, you’ve got enough on your plate."

Capital Judgement

There was nothing that Echo could say about the Judge’s verdict to ease Patch’s frustrations. She had her own feelings about it, but wasn’t sure if she agreed or disagreed. But even if she didn’t have her own opinion formed, Patch was upset. All she could do was place her hand on Patch’s shoulder, give it a quick squeeze and tried to offer what comfort she could.
    "You did what you could Patch."

The Next Step

Echo looked at the ‘Tinker-coffee’ dubiously for a moment but then submitted to the fact that Jack wouldn’t poison them. She took a cup for herself and grimaced at its bitterness. She’d never much liked coffee, but it had become a daily part of her life to suffer it in the morning. This stuff, was extremely potent. It’d reduce the amount she’d need to suffer through after a long night, so she raised her cup in acknowledgement of the tinker’s feat.

"I submit to the idea of mixing up patrols. However I am hessitant to support your idea of reducing us to groups of two already. I don't know how ruthless the criminal groups are"
    "but there's a very real chance that we should expect at least one of the groups directly attacking us and I think that groups of two are too vulnerable. I'm am mildly supporting your idea of mixing us but I am a bit concerned that we will end up with teams of very distinct weaknesses although I can't find of any particular combination where that is the case."
    "I think mixing us up would be valuable. First, you never know who's going to be available at short notice and being familiar with how your powers can interact can only be an asset. Second, we're all fairly new and getting to know each other one-on-one would be great." She paused for a moment. "That said, some of that works against us too. Small groups who don't know each other might make for tempting and vulnerable pickings. Maybe we could arrange for the duos to patrol close to each other? Rather than in different parts of the city - at least to start?"
    Echo nodded thoughtfully while the others finished their points.
    "Hhmm, you are both right of course. Mixing might weaken us in the short term, but maybe we can spend some time training with each other in the safety of the training rooms to reduce that a bit. "
    "I also might be rushing starting the two-person patrols, but we don’t have much man-power to keep it up and I don’t want to limit our patrols to one specific time of night or day too much. It’ll be too easy to predict."
    "But for now keeping our three man patrols, and at least close enough to back each other up in a hurry might be a wise course of action. I would still like to rotate members though, with an additional bit of training together."

" I haven't been part of the wards but I agree. Honestly though we are very few people and there's a lot of criminals in town. We should try to recruit any individual you encounter and that you find to be qualified. We might need to catch Insight before anyone trusts us enough to join us though."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    "Is that even our call? It would be great to just be able to.... do that yeah. But even if we had the...um... authority, we don't really have enough of a reputation to attract enough recruits who would trust we could properly train them... do we? If we can somehow though I... think we should. They're going to do stuff with their powers with or without us... right? But um... I sort of have the feeling the director will tell us we can't do it yet."
    "If the Director disagrees we’ll not do it, but with all the interviews coming up, this is the perfect time. We could all use the individual interviews to inform the world that the Miami Wards will be reconstituted. We’ll have to deal with a lot of things like Youth Guard and whatever else they throw at us, but this is something we’ll eventually have to do. And right now we are riding the high of two big wins."

"I think that you idea is good and your reason solid. If we focus on the streets and we manage to make those safer we will gather a lot of public support. Furthermore if we can make the criminal groups think that we will leave them alone as long as they are hiding their activity it might make them less eager to openly challenge us."
    "I'm surprised you're willing to wait that long." Avelina states and immediately follows it up a bit nervously, "I um... uh.... don't think it's a bad thing though." She somewhat timidly adds, "I agree hitting them while they're weak and don't expect is probably good... but they might get some replacement capes in a month if we're unlucky."
    "Can we afford to wait that long?" She asked, looking around the group. "They could use that time to rebuild their strength, or be wiped out by a rival. I mean, couldn't that lead to a gang war? I know we're still finding our feet but I'm not seeing letting things linger working in our favour. Could we aim for, like, a couple of weeks, max?"
    Again she nodded along to the points made by the others. Points she had, literally, made to herself that very morning.
    "It is a very long time. Too long if I’m honest. Too much can happen in the meantime." She agreed with them.
    "But it’s time I think we need to learn, train and get our gear in order. Not to mention get the layout of their hideouts, get the police on board and plan the raid."
    She sighed, then came up with a thoroughly unpleasant idea.
    "Unless... we redouble our efforts. Additional training, scouting and getting ready. Titania could probably summon up creatures which resemble the abilities of the Shining Path so we could train against them every day. Daily close combat training. Patch, Sharp and... Titania? working together on whatever gear we need. Anything else we can come up with. This would mean almost a twenty-four hour a day commitment for everybody for the next week or two."
    She left it at that, waiting to see how the others would react to that proposition.

"Could someone also help me find someone to teach me to shoot better? PinPoint started teaching me but I don't really want to put more strain on him as is."
    "That sounds good. I'll also need to get an expert archery teacher if I can. I'm pretty good now but I know I can be better. Either way, I already planned on keeping up my practice with it. I don't know anything aside from the basics about guns though. Uh... also we should do swimming. We're near a lot of water."
    "I have a list of pre-approved pre-vetted Miami based trainers the Director gave me, I’ll forward it to you both and you can select trainers from there."

"I haven't encountered unexpected complications yet. It'll be finished in about two weeks".
    Echo barely kept herself from asking particulars, but this was Patch’s secret project so all she said was.
    "Thank you."

"And on the topic of inventions I'd like to share the current plan. Echo has asked that I make armor for all of our vulnerable members, which if I understand things right would mean me, Snap and Inertia. Vanguard can harden himself, Echo has three lives and Titania has her suit, which I by the way will be doing improvements as soon as I find the time. If I follow my current idea for inventions then a discrete way of communication and then flying will be up for the next set of inventions in addition to some information gathering software. I think getting us in the air is essential for at least three of our members. Snap and Titania, you can both cross air, I think both of you would benefit from this still but if you would rather have something else let me know. Also Robert, with your power active I think you'll be too heavy to get in the air unless you find a tinker to make some anti gravity stuff. I only have one excellent idea as to an invention for you but it's very costly and we probably need to wait a long time before we get access to that kind of money. "
    "Being able to fly by myself would be great. It would mean I don't always need to ride something so I could uh.. summon other things instead. And it really does sound easier to patrol if we can just all do it from the air, I think."
    "Excelent."
    I will be on hiatus from november 25st until december 20th, posting will be sporadic to non-existent during that time.

Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

NONE!!!! ARRGHGHHHHH!!!

Discord Tag #9908

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Weapon of Choice

Avelina either doesn't notice or doesn't care that Patch is specifically avoiding trying to look. Just for the sake of making conversation she asks, "So... what uh, were you working on before I got here?"

The Next Step

Quote Originally Posted by Chivy View Post
    "Unless... we redouble our efforts. Additional training, scouting and getting ready. Titania could probably summon up creatures which resemble the abilities of the Shining Path so we could train against them every day. Daily close combat training. Patch, Sharp and... Titania? working together on whatever gear we need. Anything else we can come up with. This would mean almost a twenty-four hour a day commitment for everybody for the next week or two."
    She left it at that, waiting to see how the others would react to that proposition.
    "I uh... that's the wrong amount of hours? Was that figurative? Because um.... sleep. Um... anyway, I don't think that's a good idea. The Wards taught us not to push that hard without a really good reason, um... especially not for lengths of time like that. We'll get exhausted and demoralized and it leads to people quitting or getting hurt. We need to have lives or we'll become.... unbalanced. And um, we're going to get attacked sometimes too and so we need rest and time to de-stress." Avelina replies.

"I think the idea about training against things I summon is good though." she adds.

Noticing the coffee that others have grabbed she leans over curiously and takes a whiff and visibly recoils at how strong it is just from the scent and looks over at Patch. There's really no way of telling what her expression is with her helmet on.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Capital Punishment

The judge checks a piece of paper that the bailiff hands him "Hmmm OK designation Piecemeal's execution will be at 9:45 AM tomorrow morning. Attendance is not mandatory but encouraged for the witnesses who testified."

He then gathers up his things and starts to head out, shoulders dropped and eyes down.

Death Sentence

As everyone gathers in the room and settle down they can see through the one way window into the white sterile room on the other side. The only things in that is in the white room is are several large vials on the wall with three different colored fluids in them, a pair of machines meant to monitor life signs, a long operating table, and a door. As everyone is seated the door opens and an unconscious man on a gurney is wheeled in by two orderlies. He is carefully placed on the table and the orderlies quickly hook up the various needles, connected to the vials on the wall, and the machines to monitor his life. As soon as Piecemeal is hooked up the pair nod to each other and one of them presses a button. You see the liquids in each vial slowly drain down the tubes and into the body, as soon as they enter you can hear the heart monitor start to slow down until you all see a slight twitch from the body and then the sound turns into a long unending screeching noise. The people in the room all watch stoic faced from Director Sanderson to the lawyers that had been present in the case.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can have made yourself present if you wish or not. Your call.

Requests

Sanderson sighs and nods "Ugh yes the paperwork is overwhelming. All the damages that Piecemeal did has to come through us since it was a Parahuman incident. You're welcome to have copies of the Piecemeal info, I'll email them to you and anyone on the team who wants to view them. However I can't help with the TALOS suit, they're in prototype and cost millions of dollars so I can't help out with that request.

Legpoint

The director nods solemnly "Of course you can. That is a very sweet gesture Patch, obviously don't use diamonds or anything like that but the bill will be footed by the health insurance so once you're done send it too me and I'll pass it along."

Memo

Memorandum
    To: Miami Protectorate Team
    Subject: Vanguard

Vanguard has chosen to transfer to a branch of the PRT in a smaller more stable area rather then here. He has a family and he says that he needs to think of them first, he doesn't want to leave them and the risk is just so high here in Miami. He couldn't say goodbye personally because he thought he couldn't go through with the decision if he saw all of you and knew he was leaving you to the fight without him. I hope you can all support his decision.

Regards
    Director Sanderson
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Capital Punishment

Thinking back, Inertia couldn't remember the exact words she'd used during the trial. All she remembered was telling the court about the whole event going so fast, and giving it all to avoid the other people present - which would be the rest of the team - getting hurt, and seeing Piecemeal's dreadful injury, and passing out quickly after the conclusion.
    An useless testimony, all things considered. She did feel like a weight had been lifted, though, even if it wasn't the whole of it.
    Clearly, the others looked so professional doing it...
    Piecemeal's execution was not a step of the legal process she'd been willing to see, though. Maybe it would have been better for him to get cleanly offed, right there, without the whole mutilation? Nono, throw that thought away, it's a horrifying one.

The Next Step

"I'm not allowed coffee", said Mallory as a coffee cup slid in front of her, but -- "No, wait, I actually am, right", she corrected herself, "Buuuut I'm not used to it, so I'm not... shutting up now, right."
    That was the most words she'd spoken since the start of the meeting, because she'd been thinking about way, way too many subjects at once, several of which, she'd suspected, would be considered stupid.
    "Seriously though", she kept going, pretending she'd been focused all along, "I'm with Titania on this one, maybe later once we're more experienced, intensive training like that would be okay. And we started with a pretty exhausting case both for our bodies and for our minds, too. So, huh, Echo, maybe we could do the other thing instead. The one you said." Her mind tentatively grasped a fleeting memory haphazardly recorded from the discussion. "With the gear. And the police. That one."
    Last edited by Mono Vertigo; 2017-02-04 at 05:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Digging Deeper

Patch nods at keeping the suspicion secret from the others. It would have been his decision too but now Josie would be the one responsible for keeping them in the dark if it ever leaked.

"Point, not nessesarily a test. Still however it seem suspicious that Piecemeal was heading for the PRT days after a new group of heroes showed up."

"Well that’s settled then. Chief Scientist and Senior Accountant all rolled into one."
    Poking fun at their tinker’s perfectly natural aversion to paperwork had her mirroring Ji Yu’s grin.
    Patch sighs but couldn't help but smile. He didn't have a good responds but it seems like well-meant teasing.

"You say that like it was my decision. It wasn’t. " she said emphatically
    " We’re a team, all of us planned the engagement together and I’d of loved to settle things peacefully. "
    "Maybe but you could have nixed it if you had wanted. I'm just saying I appreciate that you didn't"

"I'll ask the director for permission to begin researching reinforcement of bones.", He responds. Perhaps this was the opportunity for bending his ban outside of A class threats.

Capital Punishment

Echo's reassurance didn't do much to lessen Patch's frustration with the sentence and the way the judge had used that "they couldn't contain him" as an argument for the death sentence even if Patch had told him that that wasn't the case minutes before.

Death Sentence

Patch takes another long look at Piecemeal. He had considered trying to fake the death but decided that the risk wasn't worth it in the greater picture. Nontheless Patch feels waves of anger going through his body as he witnesses the murder. And here he had for a moment thought that he had actually mistaken the PRT.

LegPoint

"Thank you, I'll get it done." Patch responds sending the director a friendly smile. Phase one of the plan completed, now the real challenge were up.

"Some of the other heroes expressed consern about ending up like Graham". True but taken out of context. "And expressed interest in having their bones reinforced. Something like that however would require extensive testing however so can I have your permission to perform experiments on mice to that end?" Admittedly he felt a little bad using PinPoint for this but you had to take what you could get.

Weapon of Choice

"Sorry, I can't tell" Patch responds evasively while measuring her arm.

Moving In

"Sorry Lina, I'm too busy working the next little time", Patch responds. Not untrue, but he also didn't want to show his face to the others either. At least for now.

6. - Top - End - #216

Zombie

Digging Deeper
    "Maybe but you could have nixed it if you had wanted. I'm just saying I appreciate that you didn't"
    Josie shrugged, not quite sure she could have stopped him even if she had wanted too, but Jack believed it so that was enough for her.
    "I told you before, you’re probably the smartest person we have on the team so any time you think something is that important, or you think we should do something a certain way, I’ll back you up Jack. Only an idiot refuses to listen to people who are smarter than they are."
    "I'll ask the director for permission to begin researching reinforcement of bones."
    "I’ll add my two cents in when I next speak to her."

Death Sentence

Echo rigidly sat watching the execution of the man they only knew as Peacemeal. She was wearing her full costume, covering her completely from head to toe, including lenses which hid her eyes. Her posture, clothing, not having eaten or drank anything since last night, even the smelling salts she had packed into one of her belt pouches were all calculated to portray grim professionalism. Something she was doing her utmost to keep projecting as she watched the man die. It was.. horrible. And sort of peaceful. He just went to sleep and then stopped...
    Echo needed to swallow a few times and take a deep breath before she got up and walked from the room after Peacemeal was declared dead. She had done her duty. First in helping stop Peacemeal, then in testifying and finally in watching him die.
    She was still wondering if she had done the right thing in capturing him alive.

Requests
    "Thank you for sending those files Director Sanderson." Echo answered
    "But Vanguard’s transfer... well he was our most physically powerful member. Without him we have a large hole in our ability to protect the more fragile members of our team. Those suits, or the research into them, or something similar might help us there. I’ve spoken to Patch and he has some medical ideas which also might help. If you could take a look at his proposals and give a yea or a nay on them we can have him work on it as soon as possible. I’ll not keep you any longer."
    Echo turned to leave before looking back and saying
    "I have sent out an invitation to the rest to discuss a few of these problems and what we’re going to do next. I hope you’ll attend."

The Next Step
    "I uh... that's the wrong amount of hours? Was that figurative? Because um.... sleep. Um... anyway, I don't think that's a good idea. The Wards taught us not to push that hard without a really good reason, um... especially not for lengths of time like that. We'll get exhausted and demoralized and it leads to people quitting or getting hurt. We need to have lives or we'll become.... unbalanced. And um, we're going to get attacked sometimes too and so we need rest and time to de-stress."
    "I think the idea about training against things I summon is good though."
    Echo blinked at the about-face the other woman apparently just pulled. She had seemed to indicate that she felt they should attack earlier, then balked at the increased effort of getting ready. Josie wanted to go after the Shining Path as fast as she could, but she knew they weren’t ready to face five experienced capes as well as a lot of their mundane enforcers. They had already lost too many teammates to risk losing more because they jumped the gun.
    "You can’t have it both ways Titania."
    "I don’t want to engage them without us being a lot better at working together, being able to fight and actually being ready for this. We got lucky the first time we faced them, they weren’t prepared for us. I don’t want to count on luck again, especially because they’ll of been studying us as much as we’re studying them."

"So either we take the time to train and get ourselves ready to take down the entire Shining Patch organisation in one fell swoop which I think will take at least a month, or we commit ourselves to doing it faster. Which if we do it will mean a 24 hour a day commitment for a while."

"This doesn’t mean you’ll spend every moment training. It means you spend your day focussed on that commitment. Sleep is an integral part of being ready, as is eating, bathing, relieving yourself and other things which have to happen."

"If you need a reason to commit; just think of the drugs, murder and wanton destruction they bring to this city. That always works for me."

Quote Originally Posted by Mono Vertigo View Post
    "Seriously though"
    "I'm with Titania on this one, maybe later once we're more experienced, intensive training like that would be okay. And we started with a pretty exhausting case both for our bodies and for our minds, too. So, huh, Echo, maybe we could do the other thing instead. The one you said."
    "With the gear. And the police. That one."
    It took Echo a moment to process what Inertia was trying to say
    "Correct me if I’m wrong, but that puts both of you into the ‘taking things slowly camp’, right?"
    She then turned to the other two
    "I do not mind if we attack in two weeks or in a month. As long as we agree beforehand and we then get ready. With Vanguard out I might even prefer to take things a bit slower. We might receive some reinforcements or Patch might be able to fix up something amazing in the meantime. Patch? Snap? How do you two feel about it?"

Thinking about losing Vanguard brought up another idea
    "How do you all feel about the five of us patrolling together at the same time, each taking adjacent streets. It will keep us able enough to counter an attack on us and will have us get to know each other in the field. Once we get reinforcements or get more comfortable we can tone it down a bit."

Moving In

"Sorry, it's not a good time right now." she said when Avalina invited her to help move in.
    "This place is just keeping me too busy. I’ve only been in my own apartment for two nights since I got here, I haven’t even had the time to unpack my suitcases yet."
    I will be on hiatus from november 25st until december 20th, posting will be sporadic to non-existent during that time.

Show

NONE!!!! ARRGHGHHHHH!!!

Discord Tag #9908

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Requests

The director lips tighten "I know Vanguards absence has left a hole in the team but Patch is under some strict restrictions due to his probationary status. There may be exceptions in extreme scenarios like the Piecemeal but this does not warrant it. I'm sorry but I won't be budging on this, I'll never be able to take Patch off probationary status unless I see him follow the rules of his contract and show he can work within the rules. Thank you for the invitation but this is something you guys can handle on your own and I have a lot of work to do."

LegPoint

The director shakes her head "I'm sorry but you'll have to try and find solutions for that problem in other solutions, it would break your probationary contract. Smart man like yourself I'm sure you can find out other ways to protect your teammates."

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

The Next Step

When Echo accuses her of "wanting things both ways" Titania looks to the others in confusion, unsure if Echo hadn't understood her or was just a bully making things up to try and force things to go her way. She takes a moment to reply and says, "I already gave you my opinion. I don't think I was unclear about my reasoning. If you want to push yourself to do something I've been taught is a bad idea by people with vastly more experience than any of us here I guess I can't stop you." As she speaks her voice is notably more stern and there's an undertone of annoyance.

"I'd rather patrol having someone actually there to watch my back in case.... anything happens." Titania replies to the question about patrolling.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Digging Deeper

Jack shows an appropriate ammount of gratitude for Josie's statement of confidence and help.

LegPoint

Patch can't help but feel angry. It was going so well and then it was nulled anyway. "Fine. I'll try to explore other options but if I fail and any of the guys end up crippled know that you could have prevented it."

Next Step

"I say a month", Patch chimes in, "We do need time to train and we'll be doing this for a long time, we should get in a routine of only pushiing ourselves furthest out when we need to."

"Shining Patch organization" Patch teases as if tasting the word, "even if they are criminal scum they have a good taste in names."

"How do you all feel about the five of us patrolling together at the same time, each taking adjacent streets. It will keep us able enough to counter an attack on us and will have us get to know each other in the field. Once we get reinforcements or get more comfortable we can tone it down a bit."

"I'd be conserned that something like what happened to CJ happens to us. I suggest a group of 3 and a group of 2 with sharp being in the car with me. Both groups close to each other."

Once that subject has been discussed throughly Patch brings up something else.

"Going back to the subject of wards. How do you want to approach that? With the PRT being in a poor shape for a while in town I think we need to focus some on our image. If we want to attract wards we need to appear both competent but I don't think that that is enough. What kind of image do you think we need to give to attract wards and perhaps also heroes? Of course we also need to catch Insight, I imagine that few would want to join knowing that their private identity is likely to get exposed."

"Regardless we need to do some work with the communitiees. Aside from the fact that we could greatly benefit from the help of the people in the high-crime areas we also want to make it an option for people with powers to use those for good or at least go rogue rather than trying to make a living by joining a criminal organisation. If not I'm afraid that whoever we take down will just get replaced soon after."

One on one with Windslap

At a convinient point in time Patch makes effort to visit Wind Fist, one of the two capes they initially caught. In costume of course

He had thought of the idea when they initially caught them but then the Piecemeal thing happened and he hadn't had time to do it. Going through security he feel anxious about the whole thing. He were guessing that Wind Fist would be in isolation due to security reasons which both was an advantage and a hurdle. It would help him in the sense that humans are social creatures and with Wind Fist being devoid of social contact his need for human contact were likely to make him more willing to talk. On the other hand people who had been devoid of human contact for a long time start being more violent and so forth which might make him confrontational.

In truth Patch had also been putting it off because he was unsure of his social skills but yesterday he had managed to reframe the entire scenario as an experiment which made him feel more confident.

As always he had turned his camera on and while walking towards the cell he made some final adjustments to the stuff that the bots were cooking up. Yes, that should be enough to let them work themselves the next 30 minutes.

"Wind Fist", he says with a calm voice standing outside the cell(assuming that Wind Fist can see him there). The PRT file didn't include any information about Wind Fist as a person so he had decided to just take it slow and see how the guy would react to a visitor.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-02-15 at 04:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Legpoint

Sanderson snaps at you and slams her hand onto the desk "Don't be naive Patch! You need to get over this obsession with bio tinkering you have. You are not a bio tinker, you have plenty of options left to you without bio tinkering. You could just as easily design some reinforced armor or something rather then try a form of surgery that would leave someone on bed rest for days or weeks and could possibly cripple them for life if you do it wrong. Get off your high horse Patch... you're on probation for a reason. Show me you're trustworthy and stop trying to find ways around your contract and then we can talk about your bio tinkering."

One on One with Windfist

The tall lanky form of Wind Fist looks up from lying on his cot with a bored expression "I thought you guys were gonna forget me down here. What do you want you pig."

11. - Top - End - #221

Zombie

Requests

"I understand Director." Echo said, a little intimidated by Sanderson’s hard tone. She was not sure what to do until she realised that these ‘rules’ might get somebody hurt.
    "Sorry. That’s not true. I DON’T understand." She squared her shoulders as if she was getting ready for a fight. She probably was.
    "Patch is on probation and needs to follow the rules. This is clear and I understand that. Rehabilitation is the goal. But we need some flexibility on this. Especially if he has volunteers for his procedures. He is the best protection we have to keep the team safer. Without this we might lose more people like we lost PinPoint or even worse, like we lost J.C."

Josie took a breath, stilling her annoyance at still having found nothing about Spook’s disappearance. Slightly calmer she came up with a compromise.
    "He’ll need time to research his ideas. Allow him his research at least. Then, when he’s ready, he can present what he has and you can make an informed decision. If nothing else, it’ll get the research out of the way and have it ready for the next major threat. The preparation might save every one of our lives."
    She waited to see what the results of her argument would be.

The Next Step

Echo started to rub the bridge of her nose before she noticed that the armour of her mask prevented the pressure that would help with the slight headache she was developing. She had to remind herself that Titania was barely out of the Wards. Maybe she should cut the girl a little slack.
    "I am sorry for my confusion Titania, but you said you were surprised at us training and getting ready for a month before engaging in the most dangerous fight we are facing and then mentioned that the Wards taught you not to put in too many hours. You can see where I am unclear as to what your opinion is?"
    Her tone was patient, mollifying even.
    "I am probably telling you things you already know, but not everybody served in the Wards before joining the Protectorate so this might need to be said."
    "The Protectorate teams are a lot different than the Wards. For one, this is not a part-time job outside of a Ward’s actual job of going to school, studying, spending time with family and friends and other things of the like. Nor do we have a Youth Guard to enforce rules pertaining to ‘duties not egregiously impacting the need for entertainment, freedom, self-esteem or family.’"
    She directly quoted from the Youth Guard’s mission statement.
    "What you learned in the Wards was correct."
    "At least it was for the Wards and maybe even the Protectorate in other cities. It will be something we will need to teach our Wards if we go forward with setting up the Wards program in Miami. But we have many more established enemies here in Miami than in other cities, as well as less resources. Until we have taken down the most prominent threats in this city we might have to put in the extra hours. But I think we all knew this wasn’t going to be a nine to five job when we signed up."

Echo gripped the bridge of her nose again before continuing.
    "This doesn’t mean that we should have to just throw away every bit of free time we have." She admonished before any objections could be voiced.
    "On the one side we push for a speedy resolution, possibly tiring ourselves out, missing out on backup or some extraordinary invention Patch comes up with, but at the minimum putting our own lives on hold.
    On the other side we allow our enemies more time to strengthen their positions and possibly hurt or kill more civilians."

Echo sighed before continuing
    "It is a question that doesn’t have a perfect answer. That means that we must choose and then live with the choice."
    "And to put it simply: I don’t want to make this choice for us by myself."
    "WE make the choice and then WE live with the consequences."

She then looked each of them in the eye (or lenses). Patch’s vote for taking a month didn’t exactly surprise her, but it did make it clear that everybody felt that they needed more time for the actual engagement.
    "So, that has Patch and Inertia for long training and preparing and I think Titania as well, unless I understood you wrongly?"
    She left the question hanging long enough for Titania to confirm or deny before continuing
    "Then we will prepare for the coming month. I’ll set up a list of things that need to be completed before we take on the Shining Path" She emphasised the word, while mentally thanking her mask for keeping her merriment at Patch’s wordplay hidden.
    "I’ll have it out to you by tomorrow. As always, additions to complete the list will be welcome."

She then started trying to bring the different subjects to a close.
    "There are only five of us right now, so we’ll rotate the roster or I’ll fill the third position in both teams with my other selves. At least until we get additional help. We’ll also keep the patrols close enough together that they can support each other quickly if things go pear shaped.
    If so Patch, Titania and Deft will be in the first patrol, Snap, Inertia and Force will be in the second. Sharp will join whichever patrol needs her or replaces Patch if he needs to spend additional time in his lab. This should give each patrol some muscle as well as versatility.
    Agreed?"

On the subject of the Wards she says
    "Yes that is true, the PRT is in poor shape, but Vanguard already has had some contact with the former Wards. We could build on that. Snap, could you reach out to them in the same way? Maybe enlist Inertia’s or Titania’s help? I think you were recently in the wards yourselves?"
    She directed the question at the two newest members
    "So are we agreed that we’ll be starting the preliminaries to starting up the Miami Wards again? Starting by using the interviews many of us are getting requests for to spread the word that the Wards program will be returning to Miami and with reaching out to the former Wards?"
    "I’ll start researching what the possibilities are for the old wards to return without too much Youth Guard hassle."
    "We will work out the other particulars during the next few weeks, but this should give us a good start."

When Patch raised the possibilities of investing effort into bonding with the community/
    "I’m not sure how we would work with the communities. Showing ourselves patrolling and preventing crime would be a very good start. But any other suggestions and how to go about it is something we should all give some thought to."

The training question had resulted in an answer she had been hoping for, at least the others agreed with the need for structured training.
    "Excellent, then I will see all of you for close quarters combat training at ten A.M. tomorrow and then every Friday, Monday and Wednesdays. Or if you feel like finding your own trainers, let us know with whom you’ll be training. Some of us might prefer what you came up with."
    "We’ll also schedule a weekly sparring session to allow us to test ourselves against each other."

Show

NONE!!!! ARRGHGHHHHH!!!

Discord Tag #9908

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

The Next Step

During Echo's monologue Titania stands still just looking at her. There's no way to tell how she's reacting to it and it was even possible she wasn't even awake until it's proven otherwise by her nodding in response to agreeing that they should take things slow. She knew this was the image she was projecting and was doing so intentionally. Even though this means having to suppress a laugh at Patch's joke.

"I would be fine trying to talk to the old Wards or um...new potential ones." she replies.

She thinks a bit about the community relations thing, but doesn't have any ideas in particular and wonders if the others will.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Requests

Sanderson's arms fold across her chest and her eyes harden "Flexibility is allowed but only in situations outside of the norm such as the Piecemeal incident or other Class A/S threats. Right now though this is an average day on the job, this isn't the exception this is the rule. If Patch is allowed to break the rules here then there is no limitations on him for him to follow that will let us judge him as a functional member. He has other options available to him for protection besides this. This job will always have risks no matter what protection you have and that's something you'll have to accept. Try attempting research into protection that doesn't break his contract first."

14. - Top - End - #224

Digging deeper

Pleased at getting some smiles out of Josie, Ji Yu was content to let the other two hash out some of the practicality of the possible enhancements. As things wound down, she nodded briefly at Josie and Jack. "If you could keep me in the loop, cc me or whatever, I'd appreciate it. Anything that keeps me able to stay in the action and help is something I'll consider. Just nothing that musses my hair or requires the loss of a limb. Standard, y'know?"

The next step

"I'm all for some serious training," Snap said, throwing her two cents in. "If the trainers are there, I'll be using 'em. Not quite twenty-four-seven," she added, glancing at Titania, "but still pretty heavily." She wasn't terribly pleased that the team would be taking a month to ready itself but, given the more democratic style Echo was using, the majority had spoken. Plus, she largely squandered her time in trying and failing to come up with a convincing counter-argument. She nodded in agreement with the final proposed patrol compositions - it seemed too risky to patrol solo in any way just yet.

Snap blinked at Echo looking to her regarding the Wards. "Uh..." She responded intelligently, having no idea what gave the impression that that would be something she'd be good at. Teenagers could be terrible! Still, she looked over at the younger team members who might be a much better help, glad that Titania was able to make a coherent reply to Echo.

Moving in

"Sure, I can lend a hand. When and where do you want me?" Not that Ji Yu was looking forward to the frequently arduous task of moving in itself, but getting to know her teammates was always worthwhile - they'd be looking out for each other in life and death situations, after all - plus, helping people was a good thing when you could.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Moving In

Avelina texts Ji Yu the address of her new apartment and suggests a time about an hour after the movers should have brought her stuff over, just to make sure it will all be there before Ji Yu gets there even if the movers are a bit slow or something like that. And to give Avelina some time to buy some basics.

Later when Ji Yu arrives Avelina will have been doing some minor unpacking already and will greet her with, "Hey. I think it's just going to be the two of us. Can I get you anything to drink? I've got... water, cola, and some lemonade." Unlike other things, the cups don't need unpacking because she just bought them, given she hadn't realized she was going to need to bring such things.

((GoC can I get a description of the apartment and did it come with any furnishings or other notable features? Also wondering if it's in a high rise apartment complex or something or basically just where it is and stuff. Don't need an address though. I'd probably never remember it anyway.))

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

The Next Step

Inertia nodded slowly and sighed and relief. "That's what I meant about the training, yeah. What we meant."
    About the Wards, she replied: "Yes! That's a good one, developing the program. We could somehow do that at the same time we improve our relations with the community, maybe? Like, we emphasize the ways we help capes, and the ways they help their community, and how it's more, y'know, beneficial for everybody than having rogues working independently. Maybe even encourage young capes who are currently into villainy but not 100% into it to join us because it'd be a lot safer for them. I think that's doable, all the supervillains in Miami aren't mass murderers and maniacs. I don't think they are, anyway."
    Of course, Inertia was not, at that point, entirely aware of Patch' and Snap's legal situations.
    Last edited by Mono Vertigo; 2017-02-20 at 09:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Digging Deeper

"I think I'll talk to her in person but I'll keep you in the loop as to what happens", Jack responds to Ji Yu.

LegPoint

Patch feels the anger rise to the surface and a surge to match the Director's aggresion but with all forcibly shoves it beneat the facade of politeness. Even it he would feel much better yelling at the director it would be counter-productive for his purposes.

"Yes Director. Thank you for your time." he says before he with a respectful nod gets up and leaves the room.

Once outside the room he continually have to remind himself of the cameras while he heads to the lab to try to get some of his frustration out through work.

Negative

To: Echo, Snap
    Subject: Physical Enhancement

The talk with the director didn't go well. I don't think we can expect physical enhancements anytime soon.

//Patch

The Next Step

"There are only five of us right now, so we’ll rotate the roster or I’ll fill the third position in both teams with my other selves. At least until we get additional help. We’ll also keep the patrols close enough together that they can support each other quickly if things go pear shaped.
    If so Patch, Titania and Deft will be in the first patrol, Snap, Inertia and Force will be in the second. Sharp will join whichever patrol needs her or replaces Patch if he needs to spend additional time in his lab. This should give each patrol some muscle as well as versatility.
    Agreed?"
    Patch nods. "Where do we want to focus our patrolling? If we start patrolling in the more safe areas that could be percieved as a sign of weakness which might encourage the groups to engage us. On the other hand we might not be ready to patrol the more dangerous areas."

Jack is happy to allow the others to progress on the wards program on their own. As things were he already had plenty to look at and that was without the plans he was still cooking.

"I’m not sure how we would work with the communities. Showing ourselves patrolling and preventing crime would be a very good start. But any other suggestions and how to go about it is something we should all give some thought to."
    About the Wards, she replied: "Yes! That's a good one, developing the program. We could somehow do that at the same time we improve our relations with the community, maybe? Like, we emphasize the ways we help capes, and the ways they help their community, and how it's more, y'know, beneficial for everybody than having rogues working independently. Maybe even encourage young capes who are currently into villainy but not 100% into it to join us because it'd be a lot safer for them. I think that's doable, all the supervillains in Miami aren't mass murderers and maniacs. I don't think they are, anyway."
    "How would you suggest that we show them those things?" Patch asks diplomatically. He didn't agree one bit that the PRT was helping capes or that they were helping the community. The PRT were in this for themselves. However he partly didn't want to give the young cape negative feedback now and partly he was curious as to what image Inertia had of the PRT.

"I don't think that we should limit ourselves to young capes. Many people turn to crime if they can't find other ways of providing for themselves or their family or they feel anger or resentment towards society. And the prison system is setting them up for more crime by isolating them from society and sending them back to where they came from with even less opportunities since they now both are older and have a prison background." Patch says with a serious look, "so what would make people less liable to get into crime is if they see a way out. Changing this is tricky of course. Does anyone know of any local festives comming up sometime soon? If so we could try to persuade the organisers to move some of it to the poor districts so the locals could get some of the money in, perhaps bargain that we will make a public appearance there. Alternatively we could reach out to the individual people who are in detention and try to persuade them that there's other options and try to arrange it so they get to those options. Even if we only get around to a small number of people the rumour will spread."

Spoiler: To Mono
    Show
    Inertia might have forgotten it or not heard it but Patch did say he was on probation during the prep scene.

Training Session

The teacher's hand once again make palm-to-face contact and Patch falls backwards, failing to regain his footing. The teacher had been going at him for at least 30 minutes and from his now sitting position Patch was sure that he was spotting a hint of a smug smile behind the polite facade. He shakes his head once and gets back to his feet. Despite most of his body hurting this was nothing compared to the frustration he felt from interacting with the director.

When the lesson was over he dries his face, looks at the armor-in-process, makes a few adjustments to the commandline of the nanobots and heads over to the shooting range. McNikkel, the teacher, had somehow gotten into their head that it would be better for Patch to shoot after being exhausted after training, arguing that Patch would end up in situations where he was exhausted and sore and still needed to be able to hit precisely. Jack wasn't thrilled with the idea but he was going along with it. He was painfully aware how lucky he had been with the shot of Windfist.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This was just intended to fluff Patch's training a little more out. However people are free to add in on this scene if they feel inspired to.

One-on-One with Windfist

The comment was within the expected range of respondses Patch had anticipated. Really it was as good as he could have hoped for. If he had been ignored he would have needed to provoke Windfist and this was better than yelling. Name-calling was a way for Windfist to regain some measure of control, something he had a desperate lack of given the circumstances. Which Patch might be able to turn to his advantage.

"How could I forget? Your face is still quite living in my memories" mainly because he had rewatched the video feed from the event at least 10 times by now. "You looked almost disappointed that you forgot to bring popcorn to Pyro's people toasting-show." This was a clear opening for Windfist to throw another insult at him but if Windfist now went on the defensive it would mean that he had some guilt associated with the insult or at least felt justified in doing what they did, both which would show something about his personality. Patch is also particularly watching for at to whether Windfist flashes any suprises, something that looks like it clicks or smugness.

18. - Top - End - #228

Moving in

Dressed in a well-worn tracksuit pants and t-shirt ensemble, Ji Yu arrived just on time at the address given. She took a few moments to glance around, taking the place in. "Not too bad. Add some of your own stuff and it'll be pretty homey." She gave Avelina a smile. "Cola'd be good to start, get the sugar and caffeine high. Probably switch to water in a bit."

Giving her teammate a chance to get things ready, Ji Yu did some idle stretching. "So. What'd ya think of the neighbourhood? Heck, Miami itself?"

The Next Step

With Inertia seemingly happy to volunteer suggestions, Snap relaxed a little. At least someone had an idea how to begin. As Inertia continued, however, it struck Snap that much of what was said was enthusiastic but vague. There's be considerable work needed to flesh it all out. Patch spoke up then and, despite his ideas making sense, Snap found herself frowning.

"That's big-time planning. Tackling those kinds of socio-economic issues? I'm totally behind it but it seems like we'd need to establish ourselves more first. The bigger our profile, the more likely that is to work." She turned to Inertia. "We'll need to plan out some things, get some concrete actions decided before we reach out to them. Maybe we could meet to talk it through?" She glanced over at Titania to include her in the query.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Moving In

"Y-yeah. I didn't know there wouldn't be any furniture, sorry. I didn't have time to buy any between getting here and you getting here." Avelina replies a bit sheepishly, even though there wasn't really much she could have done to prepare for this situation since she'd had completely different expectations when she flew out here. She then goes and gets a pair of colas from the fridge and hands one to Ji Yu.

At the question, Avelina looks out the big window and replies, "Um... well the neighborhood is nice. Nicer than where I used to live I guess. I haven't been around Miami enough yet to know. Though... it is uncomfortably humid in my armor. I hope that gets upgraded soon because I'm a bit afraid I'm going to cook in it the first time we have a hot day."

"Um....how do you uh, feel about it?" she asks and begins opening one of the boxes. Surprise, it's books! That have nowhere to go without bookshelves. She sighs and moves on to the next box.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

The Next Step

"You're not wrong"
    Patch agrees with Snap. "All I'm saying is that we should start looking for ideas and opportunities now."

Armory

Throughout the week after the meeting Patch works together with the PRT department in creating fashionable suits. He also reaches out to his team members to allow them to design their own armors.

Gadgets and trinkets 1

When that week comes to an end Jack sends out a message to the team letting them know that the armors were finished.

"Alright", he says to the assembled heroes. "At least 7 of the local villains' have powers that can only be overcome by dodging them. I had to compromise with raw protection to make sure that we still have much of our mobility. I could have made the suits fire or electricity ressistant but that would have meant sacrifices in impact and bullet protection. Without further ado, can I borrow a brute? Force?"

If Echo agrees Patch will have Force punch a practice doll as hard as she can and then do the same to another practice doll wearing an armor.

Show
    So I actually don't know how effective the armor is so GoC will have to describe how well the doll is protected.

Titania also gets an armor that is practically identical to her previous but is air and water tight. It can also mediate temperature swings.

Gadgets and Trinkets 2

After the armors are presented Patch moves on to the second and final invention he wants to present.

"We had a little spare money from the Piecemeat incident so I went ahead and made these". He presents what looks like a piece of human skin. "Can I have a volunteer?"

21. - Top - End - #231

Zombie

The Next Step

"That is a very large undertaking. Definitely something to keep in mind as soon as we have established ourselves. But yes, first we need to establish ourselves. "
    The meeting had been going on for a while, and it was apparently degrading into
    "So let’s bring this to a close, shall we? "
    "We are all in agreement? "
    "The next two weeks we’ll be patrolling in threes, after that we’ll discuss if we’re ready to tone it down and start a patrol schedule which doesn’t tire us out while still keeping at least one patrol out at all times. Give me an hour and I’ll have the schedule for the week up."
    "We train daily between patrols, half of which will be CQC training."
    "Snap, enlisting Titania and Inertia if she needs it, will try and contact the former Wards. Just try to get them to talk. A meeting if they’ll go for it. I’ll start looking through anything that’ll help keep Youth Guard in their kennel and allow the Wards to return with a minimum of consequences. Hopefully the Director can help out with the Protectorate not going mad with punishments."
    "I’ll set up some sort of outline for taking down the Shining Path, we’ll work on it more during the week when we have some more time to think it over."

Echo then nodded at the foul brew their tinker had come up with.
    "Patch, is there a way to have a pot of that stuff ready for us early in the morning? Say six am?"

Emails
    To: Heroes, PRT Teams, Director Sanderson
    Subject: Patrol Schedule for coming two weeks.

All,

After discussing it with Captain Reynolds and the PRT squad leaders I have come up with the following patrol schedule for the next few weeks.

Week 1:
    00:00 – 06:00 – PRT Squad 1
    06:00 – 12:00 – PRT Squad 2
    12:00 – 15:00 – Protectorate Team 1 – Snap, Inertia and Force will be patrolling for two of these three hours, variate the precise time each day.
    15:00 – 18:00 – Protectorate Team 2 – Patch, Titania and Deft will be patrolling for two of these three hours, variate the precise time each day.
    18:00 – 21:00 – Protectorate Team 1 – Snap, Inertia and Force will be patrolling for two of these three hours, variate the precise time each day.
    21:00 – 00:00 – Protectorate Team 2 – Patch, Titania and Deft will be patrolling for two of these three hours, variate the precise time each day.
    PRT Squad 3 will be on call backup at headquarters during the first week.

Week 2
    00:00 – 06:00 – PRT Squad 2
    06:00 – 12:00 – PRT Squad 3
    12:00 – 15:00 – Protectorate Team 1 – Snap, Titania and Deft will be patrolling for two of these three hours, variate the precise time each day.
    15:00 – 18:00 – Protectorate Team 2 – Patch, Inertia and Force will be patrolling for two of these three hours, variate the precise time each day.
    18:00 – 21:00 – Protectorate Team 1 – Snap, Titania and Deft will be patrolling for two of these three hours, variate the precise time each day.
    21:00 – 00:00 – Protectorate Team 2 – Patch, Inertia and Force will be patrolling for two of these three hours, variate the precise time each day.
    PRT Squad 1 will be on call backup at headquarters during the first week.

The patrol locations will be decided on each day for the next day.

Please contact me with any problems or personal preferences and we will try and factor them in.

Echo.

To: Heroes
    Subject: Preparations

All,

I have given the operation we spoke about some thought and discussed it among myself and I believe we will need a few things to prepare besides the training we agreed on.
    Maps of the area, preferably satellite ones.
    The location of their base or bases of operation and a definite outline of their territory.
    The approximate amount of non-capes in the area working for them.
    Any patrol schedules they have would also be a definite asset.

We’ll need to contact local law enforcement to assist in our raid where they’ll focus on the non-capes and we will focus on the capes.

They will be using firearms, so if your current armour is not bullet resistance, make sure you upgrade with PRT gear and get used to wearing it for this mission at least.

Anything else you can come up with, please contact me.

Echo.

Armory
    Echo makes the time to help Patch in any way she can, either Sharp or Deft is often on hand to be a test subject. Her armour needs to be tough enough to give protection, but also flexible enough to allow Deft to fully use her superhuman agility and flexibility without being slowed down. As well as a few other additions.

Gadgets and Trinkets 1

Echo nodded to Patch before Splitting. Afterwards Force followed his instructions and hit the practice doll as hard as she could in the obvious armour plates. She then continued by hitting on joints or other less than obviously well-armoured sections.

Gadgets and Trinkets 2

"Might as well be me." Sharp said, then rolled up her sleeve for Patch to do whatever he wanted to show.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Had a little more that i wanted to get done, but i ran out of time and wanted to get this up.

Show

NONE!!!! ARRGHGHHHHH!!!

Discord Tag #9908

22. - Top - End - #232

Moving In

Ji Yu waves off Avelina's apologies about the lack of furniture - it wasn't unexpected on move-in day in a new city. "Don't worry, I've been in far less comfortable accommodation. Still here to tell the tale," she added with a smile, accepting her soda. "Thanks."

"Yeah, the weather'll definitely get to you. Might be some kind of cooling system Patch can fix up. Just tell him how great his coffee is and he'll be well pleased to assist - funds and time depending, I suppose."

She shrugged, scratching the back of her neck as she watched Avelina open a box of books. "It's alright, I guess. Humidity's killer, as you said so you gotta dress for it, when you can. This'll be soaked through before long," she said, plucking at her t-shirt. "But that's why they invented power showers." She smiled again and hunkered down next to her teammate. "Ok if I start opening boxes?"

The Next Step

Snap nodded along again as Echo summarised the decisions reached, a little more slowly and thoughtfully on this occasion. She looked up when Patch's coffee was made, then pointed a finger at Echo. "I get addicted to that stuff, I'm blaming you," she said, with a quick grin.

Emails
    To: Echo

Hey,

I shouldn't complain and you've put good work into that schedule but it leaves Patch with a lot of the night shift both weeks. If he's good with that, it's cool but I'm good to switch out and take some late nights as needed.

Let me know! Whenever you've a chance, that is. Know you're busy.

-Snap

------------
    To: Titania; Inertia
    CC: Echo
    Subject: The Wards

Hey,

You guys up for finding some time to discuss the Wards in the next couple of days? I think it'd be good to get some ideas hammered out before the end of the week.

Thanks,

-Snap

Try, try and try again

Yeah, self-defence classes were kindergarten compared to actual hand-to-hand combat. All the fight training Snap had done previously had been focused on escaping dangerous situations as effectively as possible. That was great for civilians caught in trouble but now... Well, now Snap was in the Protectorate. And, despite her first outing, she couldn't afford to hide or run from trouble any more.

But oh was it painful.

Having taken Echo's advice to heart, she was in costume and sparring with the hand-to-hand trainer. She knew she'd need to broaden her skills more but, for the moment, anything that could assist her hit-and-run style was valuable. As was the ability to defend herself for prolonged periods - never could tell when she'd need to stand her ground after all.

Days went by and, as the bruises added up, Snap was frustrated at how little progress she was making. The trainer took time to reassure her - while simultaneously smacking her in the face for the eighth time that session - that it was a long road and yadda, yadda... Sure, she listened but getting better was imperative. Anyone who half knew her would tell that she quickly grew very intense after her martial arts training.

Gadgets and trinkets 1

Gathered at the tinker's request, Snap stood aside as Force was called upon for a practical demonstration/test. Damn but the woman could hit - power and precision that Snap envied badly as her own bruises throbbed in sympathy with the test dummy's. She watched intently, hoping to gain some combat insights and, hey, she could admire the form too, right?

Gadgets and trinkets 2

Snap leaned forward a little as Patch presented something new. It looked like... Nah. But, then again... Sharp promptly volunteered. "I'd say better you than me," she called after the woman, "but I'm not sure whatever that is, is good for anyone..." She gave an exaggerated shrug in an attempt to show that she was joking. Mostly.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Moving In

"Yeah, of course. Thanks." Avelina replies with a smile.

After a while of opening boxes the following things become clear:
    -Avelina has a ton* of books. And currently nowhere to put them so they're just staying in the boxes.
    *(Probably) not a literal ton.
    -She has a lot of different clothes. The closets get completely full of the things that can be hung and shoes underneath them. Also rather oddly, the clothes are in all sorts of different styles and qualities. On one end there are ratty clothes that would appear to be someone who lives on the street and on the other there are a small number of articles that seem like the kind of thing fashion models wear which have prices that you can't remember because your mind blocks out the memory to keep you sane. There are also several items that seem to be costumes, probably from plays. Also various outfits that are probably meant as disguises unless Avelina has been a repairman, a nurse, a lawyer, and a good many other things in her short time on this earth. Notably there are only a few outfits of each kind of style, often only one or two. It gives the impression less of someone's wardrobe and more like an alien attempted to bring back a large sampling of the fashion of earth to show off to their home planet. There is a pajama suit made to look like a business suit, why?
    -There's a lot of makeup, hair care products, different scented soaps, perfumes, and various other appliances and items one would use for maintaining or changing their appearance. The variety of nail polish alone threaten to cause a moment of enlightenment as one almost fully grasps the amazing amount of colors a person's eyes can see and cause a cascading appreciation of the astounding variety life has to offer.
    -She doesn't have any plates, utensils, cups, or really anything at all to eat with so it's a really good thing she's going to be ordering food.
    -There are no pictures of loved ones or really anything that would reveal her identity to anyone who happened to come in if she wasn't around.

At some point about half-way through Avelina asks, "So... um... what kind of pizza do you want? Or I mean... I guess we could order something else. Whatever you like really. It's just the two of us. Um, no reason to need to get something that works ok for everyone. I'm ok with pretty much anything, so um.. really, whatever you'd like."

Emails

To: Snap; Inertia
    CC: Echo
    Subject: Re: The Wards

Sure, just let me know when!

-*~*Titania*~*

Armory

Avelina tries to be as detailed and helpful as possible, which includes handing over her suit so Patch go see whatever he needs to copy.

Gadgets and Trinkets 1

After getting into her suit of armor and taking a few steps and a few breaths, Avelina sighs and says quietly to herself. "Aaaah, this is so much better. No longer will I come out of this feeling like a half-melted popsicle."

Gadgets and Trinkets 2

Avelina breaths a sigh of relief that Echo volunteered before anyone could look her way and maybe suggest one of the new people should be the test subject.

Archery Practice

After her new instructor ran her through the paces to make sure she had the basics down and otherwise figure out what she could do, she was finally practicing what she wanted to. Moving and shooting moving targets with various weights attached to her arrows so that she could be ready for when, hopefully soon, Patch made those trick arrows for her. It was a lot tougher than she thought it was going to be and she frequently felt like she had when she'd been just starting to learn to use a bow. A lot of frustration and time chewed up just trying to figure out what she was doing wrong. At least this time around she understood what the instructor meant when they gave advice, even if it wasn't as simple as hearing the words and putting them into practice.
    By the end of the month she's pretty confident and happy with her progress. Though she's still no Green Arrow/Hawkeye. One day. Maybe. Probably not. A girl can dream.

Patrolling with Elves

Turns out your average tough really want to throw a punch (that won't land) at a light elf and really doesn't want to do the same to a dark elf. Who knew!? Ok yeah everyone. Titania still found it pretty entertaining nonetheless to watch a guy exhaust himself against an opponent he just can't land a hit on or watch another shriek as they saw something they really didn't want to see pop out of a dark alley and scare them into submission just by grating it's knives against each other, walking slowly, and giving a smile (I mean, technically it counts as a smile even if the mind refuses to believe such an abhorrent lie). Even a third or fourth time she still found these sights just as entertaining as the first.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

The Next Step

Patch didn't really think that they needed to establish themselves before they would start doing the trying to help the slum-residents out of crime but he was clearly the minority.

"Sure, will have"

Gadgets and Trinkets 2

Patch then straps the skin-like thing around Echo's neck and picks one up and does the same to himself. The skin connects smoothly and it doesn't look like any of the two are wearing anything. He then looks at Echo, expectantly.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-02-25 at 12:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Pre Time Skip

Gadgets and Trinkets 1

If the dummies had not been properly secured into the ground the force of Forces attacks would have sent them flying but you can see on the high end practice dummies what injuries would have occurred. The unarmored dummy shows the broken ribs, a fractured arm and the blunt force trauma damage on the dummy. When the armor is taken off the other dummy you see one cracked rib and some light blunt force trauma damage.

Emails

To: Echo
    Subject: Patrol Schedule for coming two weeks

Hello Echo

This seems well thought out, put it into action and let me know how it's working. I'd like daily reports on the patrols.

Regards
    Directot Sanderson

One-on-One with Windfist

Windfist just yawns loudly, showing all of his teeth before he settles into the small cot. He seemed pretty nonchalant and frankly a little bored with the little conversation that had occurred so far. "Worse faces to get stuck in your head then my mug and I wouldn't have minded the popcorn cause all the food I've got here has been ****."

He rolls his eyes a bit as if thinking about the food situation here before looking back to your with an eyebrow raised.

During Time Skip

New Friends Abound(2 Days In)

To: Heroes
    Subject: New Members

Hello Everyone

I have sent word has gone around the PRT for any more new recruits who would be willing to be transferred over her and keeping an eye out for new recruits. I've gotten word that two will be joining us later this afternoon. I know the team membership has been in flux lately but I'm sure it will settle down when the situation in Miami settles down. I hope you will show the new recruits the ropes and treat them well.

Regards
    Director Sanderson

The Director appears later in the afternoon in your office space and calls out "Everyone I'm here with your new teamates. I don't have much time today so if you could introduce yourselves and show them around that would be lovely."

She gestures at the two people who came in just behind her and smiles at them "Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be in my office or you can email me."

Brawling in the Streets(2 Week Mark)

The news was quickly making it's way across various types of media and the Information department sent out a memo with the facts they had gathered. The Grey Hand had launched a brutal attack on the Shining Path, possibly because of the loss of two members the Shining Path had just suffered. They had sent half a dozen of the unpowered gang members to a hospital, where the police ended up picking them up, and apparently mauled their lieutenant Barricade. They had then, either purposefully or not, set a large Shining Path drug warehouse on fire.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2017-03-02 at 01:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Homecoming

Max got off the bus a few blocks before the Protectorate HQ. He hadn't taken much with him, aside from a duffle bag with his personal stuff, hygiene material and a bottle of something the team in Chicago had gotten him before leaving. Goddam did he hate being back in the city. Everything was just a bit too warm for him as he stepped off the bus, and he could already tell he was going to be sweating through his shirt and khakis by the time he crossed the few blocks to the HQ.

He idly looked around while his hand went into a back pocket and fished out his smokes. He too a long drag before trying to remember which direction the place was in. His gaze caught some teenager that was passing by with a dirty look on her face, like she just stepped in something foul smelling. It took Max a second to realize her eyes were flitting from his cigarette to him and back again. "Isn't today a school day? Fuc-" he stopped himself. Not cursing was something he'd been trying to work on. Instead he flicked the butt down into the woman's path before giving her his best smile. He jabbed a pointer finger at her "Stay in school." He didn't wait for a response, instead Max shouldered his bag and walked off in the opposite direction towards the headquarters.

New Friends Abound

He wiped some sweat off his forehead with an arm before falling in behind the director. "Nice place." He ventured some humour as they walked to meet the team, "You got air conditioning in this joint?"

As they moved into the office space and the director made her announcement Max plopped his bag down before looking at the room and the people in it, "S'up?"

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Homecoming

Bella stands under the Miami sun, decidedly not enjoying her crisp ice coffee caramel macchiato. The drink is already half-melting, little beads of condensation gathering around her fingertips as she stands on the far side of the street from the Miami PRT Headquarters. She's been standing here staring for at least five straight minutes, avoiding the next major decision of her life. The PRT officers she spoke to directed her here, and apparently the Director was waiting for her, but she could still walk away. Some people might come looking for her, but with her new abilities, she could probably stay hidden. Or she could go inside, and face an unexpected future. Either option terrifies her.

F*ck.

In the end, it's the smell of a particularly acrid cigarette that catches her attention. There's a man not ten feet away, with a duffel bag, who's lit a roll of low tar. Without even realizing it, Bella's face has already closed off, adopting a defensive expression that one could easily mistake for condescension. Probably thinks I'm some kind of junkie or weirdo or something. There's no way he can tell she's a cape, right? The moment of anxiety passes when the man tells her off for not being in school. Bella chokes down a snort of real derision this time before stepping off of the curb, her mind now made up. I'm not Paolo. No way in hell I turn out like that a*shole.

New Friends Abound

Bella is the third person to enter, after the Director and the other apparent new addition to the team. She chuckled to herself in the elevator when she realized they were probably going to the same place. Even now, looking at him, she's curious to see how he'll react to being on display here. Deep down, she knows she should probably care about setting the kind of tone she wants to maintain here. First impressions are key to building a reputation; it's something she's learned over years of getting her way, whether at school, with her friends, or even just speaking to strangers. But not here. Here, she needs to learn to be somebody other than Bella Santiago.

Bella can't get the job done on her own - as a new cape, she is officially out of her depth. So she stays silent for the time being, merely waving an arm and saying a few polite hellos when first introduced by the Director. While her beautiful features and fit figure probably do not go unnoticed, the girl's attitude is somewhere between demure and skeptical for the time being. Still, best to test the waters with something, and she'll need to hear some voices if she's going to be practicing her impersonation skills.

"Hey there," she says by way of introduction. "Bella Rodriguez. Is there somewhere I can get some water?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-02-28 at 01:09 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Gadgets and Trinkets 1

"Right, so they can help you take a bunch of hit but don't stand there and take it. I'm afraid I don't have any idea that can offer better protection without putting metal inside you and even if you were OK with that I'm barred from doing so."

One-on-one with Windfist

Patch contemplates the possibility that Windfist was just hiding a guilt but decides to just run the recording of him through his an emotion detecting program when he gets that set up and for now assume that Windfist felt no guilt or at least felt justified. Time to try another angle.

"Yeah, I could imagine that. They are pretty **** at most things. I wonder how they manage to stay an organization."

He looks at Windfist for a little while as if thinking: "Why did you become a villain?"

New Friends Abound

Patch frowns towards his computer as if intense frowning would somehow get the message to go away. He clicks his tongue in annoyance. It wasn't that he didn't appreciate getting more power for the team or that the director had gone ahead and done this without asking them, it was just that two new people threw a stick into his accounting plan, which he had already written out. He leans back into the chair and sighs, so much for getting the work done early.

When the director arrives Patch sits in an office chair, in costume as always, and makes some adjustments to the current invention in progress by eye-movements on the glasses in between reading over the files for the new guys.

On a table beside a big whitebord, there's some cups and a container labelled with
    "Tinker-coffee
    Consume with caution"

"Director, would you like a cup before you leave?". Sure it was bribery. Sure it left Patch a sour taste in the mouth. Sure he probably wouldn't get anything out of it within any reasonable time frame. But Patch would be willing to gnaw off his left arm and shove it somewhere dark if it meant he could do bio-tinkering. Well, specifically do bio-tinkering without worrying about being jailed for lifetime.

He gets up to greet the new members with a smile and a handshake. "Patch, Chief Scientist and Senior Accountant, also the team's tinker." he then steps back allowing the others to get a turn of presenting themselves.

Once the conversation reaches a point where someone offers to show Bella and Max around Patch will excuse himself with needed to work on the equiptment. "However I'd like to get a armored suit up for your guys before you start patrolling. Swing by the lab whenever you have time to get measured and come with design input." he doesn't add how desperately their previous members needed protection, deciding that it probably would be unproductive.

Show
    Not ignoring the question regarding water. I just feel like I have enough already and don't feel like being greedy. If nobody else shows Bella, assume that Patch did.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2017-02-26 at 02:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Zombie

Emails

To: Snap
    Subject: Re: Patrol Schedule for coming two weeks.

Thank you. I missed that while setting up the schedule. I’ll discuss it with Patch and make it up to him if he decides to keep the current shifts. Thanks for offering to help out.

Echo

To: Patch

Patch,

I set up the patrol schedule for the next two weeks, but missed that I had put you in the late patrol for the entirety of the two weeks. If you want, Snap has offered to trade a few patrols with you so you’re not up late every evening.

Echo

Snap-Trap Attack

After one of the CQC sessions where Snap was part of the group training with her Echo approached her and asked her to drop by the training room that afternoon.

When Snap entered the room there were a few training dummies set around the room wearing what looked like old cape uniforms, surrounded by thick mattresses. Echo was standing beside a crate when she came in, but walked up to her with a friendly wave and a smile (she was wearing her half-face mask).
    "Thanks for coming."
    "Sharp was thinking about our tactics against the shining Path a few days ago after Force had been watching a few interviews by S.W.A.T. and D.E.A. team leaders who had ran ops against..."
    she trailed off before she continued he explanation
    "Well ,what it comes down to is that I came up with an idea."
    Echo waved at the dummies before walking back to the crate and opening it, a faint fishy smell emanated from its contents. A closer look showed nets. Fishing nets and a lot of them. She pulled one out and laid it out on the ground, it was about four square meters and the holes in it showed that it had been used before.
    "Sorry, I didn’t have time to get some new ones made. These are old but they should do to see if my idea works. "
    "You see with you we have an avenue of attack most people don’t have. You can appear out of nowhere, there’s no way to defend against that. I was thinking about appearing behind somebody and how great that is in any combat, but then I thought about the one place almost everybody is vulnerable; from above. You can appear above people and use your descent to hit them, before rolling away. Bing a nice club and you’re knocking people out all over the place. "
    "Then I thought about that being only one single chance to hit people, and your blast would actually help them avoid your hit a bit, so I thought about how we could use all of that to take people out of the fight quickly and I came up with a net. "

She shrugged a bit, half-proud, half embarrassed at the idea.
    "If you can teleport a spread out net like this with you above somebody, and I’m right, most of the snap blast will come from you, pushing the net down over them. If we make them out of interlinked metal with hooks to anchor it into clothes and armour, like those old gladiator nets, you’d trap somebody in one easily. I read Titania can summon metalworkers for this kind've thing, so it wouldn't even take from Patch's build time and otherwise I can probably help construct a few nets."
    "We could even add black cloth into the gaps of the net to catch your blast better and slapping around the person below you and that’ll blind anybody you trap while you simply roll away from them."

Echo was getting excited while explaining the idea, then looked at the net laying on the ground and at the dummies. The function of the mattresses around them was now clear; they were to break Snap’s fall.
    "So what do you think?"

Gadgets and trinkets 1

"Nice work Patch." all three Echoes said in unison after Force had stopped punching the dummy. A bullet would still hurt, but she’d take pain over holes being blown in any of her team.

Gadgets and trinkets 2

Sharp looked bemused for a bit, then nodded.
    "This will come in handy," she said, a smile spreading across her face
    "again. Nice work patch."

New Friends Abound

The two people with Director Sanderson couldn’t be more different. A severe man who looked like he was a brawler and a young woman who looked like she should be in some fashion magazine. She’d read their files as soon as the Director has sent them over. Maxwell Richards, Apogee, was experienced, and his powers were potentially among the strongest in the Protectorate, if he had time to develop them. Isabella Santiago, Volta, was new. very new.

"Maxwell and Isabella right? It’s good to have you aboard." Josie said then shook each of their hands
    "I’m Josephine Reynolds, Josie for short, Echo in costume. And I guess for now I’m the unofficial team leader here. We’ll get you squared away and then show you around the place."
    "I don’t know if the Director informed you, but you both have a small room with a bed here. They’re very small rooms, so if you need one, you’ll also be assigned an apartment in the city. Kitchen is just down the hall to your left if you’re hungry of thirsty."

She looked at the others around her.
    "Could one of you who isn’t on patrol in a few show them around? Patch, I’ll take your next few patrols so you can work on their costumes. Don’t forget to run Volta’s past branding, she’s new to the protectorate."
    She then turned back to the new members
    "I’m sorry, but I’ll want you both a part of the patrol schedule as soon as possible. We are slightly understaffed."
    "That doesn’t mean you should feel the pressure; take your time to get settled in, but as soon as you are both ready, tell me and I’ll add you to a patrol."

Josie then smiled at Isabella to soften what she had said, patrolling might be something scary or overwhelming for a new cape.
    "For now we’re patrolling in teams of two or three. So you’ll have time to learn the ropes before we tone it down some more."

Show

NONE!!!! ARRGHGHHHHH!!!

Discord Tag #9908

30. - Top - End - #240

Moving In

Ji Yu got lost in the rhythm of sorting and ordering the various contents of Avelina's boxes. The time passed fairly quickly overall with clothes hung carefully and cosmetics stacked and shelved neatly. No sense in leaving her teammate with another tedious organisation job when she was already here to assist. She made a few appreciative comments about articles of clothing she liked and merely gave a shrug at the varied professional outfits she noticed. "Well, I guess you can be thankful we're not the same size," she said as they reached the last of the clothing. "Saves you having to suffer me borrowing stuff." She raised a hand to her the side of her mouth as if whispering off to someone her side. "I'm terrible about buying my own..." She said in a stage whisper, unable to keep the grin off her face.

She was reading the spine of a book when Avelina mentioned pizza. Glancing over briefly, she shrugged. "Anything that doesn't have olives on it good. I'll eat 'em in a salad but they can stay the hell away from my pizza."

Snap-Trap Attack

Snap was delighted to be invited to some kind of one-on-one training with Echo and quickly agreed. She spent far too much time in the run-up to the agreed session wondering if there was anything she should or could bring. Some tinker-coffee? Donuts? Bottled cucumber water? After ten minutes going over increasingly outlandish options in her head she forced herself to stop. It was just a training session. Appropriately costumed for the training room, she arrived with two bottles of plain, still water. Anything more would have been weird, right?

Returning Echo's wave and smile, she offered the woman one of the bottles as she briefly eyed the crate. Snap listened quietly as her leader went through her idea, explaining what she had in mind. Though she itched to interject with some jokes and get a laugh out of the woman, she restrained herself - this was important. She nodded slowly as Echo wound down. "Yeah... I'd been thinking about throwing some gravity assisted attacks into the mix. Y'know, snap a couple of metres into the air above them and drop down with a punch? Haven't gotten around to trying it yet - trainers are sticklers for walking before running." She approached the crate and netting. "Round-about way of saying that it's definitely worth a shot."

Hefting some net, she turned back to Echo. "If I manage the distance, I might be able to do this without worrying about creating any disturbances. Those are pretty much limited to snaps over twenty-five metres." Pulling a net out of the crate, she glanced at Echo again, a grin pulling at her lips. "I imagine you'd prefer I test it on the dummies before trying to tie you up?"

Gadgets and Trinkets 1

Hands held behind her back as she steps forward to inspect the results of Force's pummeling, Snap can't help but give the woman a once over, clearly impressed. "That's a hell of good job." She paused deliberately before looking at Patch. "Oh, and the armour's good too," she added with a cheeky smile. "Thanks, Patch."

Gadgets and Trinkets 2

Peering uncertainly at the new 'skin', Snap glances at Patch. "Feeling like I'm bottom of the class here but what does it do?"

New Friends Abound

Ji Yu was casually pouring herself a half-cup of tinker-coffee - she was hoping to sleep sometime in the next week - when the Director brought the new recruits in. She took a moment or two to eye them as Patch and Josie greeted them, chuckling lightly at the former's description of his jobs. Taking a quick sip from her cup, she stepped forward next to Josie. "She's too modest. Doing all the work of team leader that well pretty much makes you team leader," she said, looking at Josie as she finished.

Turning back to the newcomers, she smiled at them and stuck out her hand. "Ji Yu, Snap in costume. Welcome to the Miami Protectorate. Air-con can probably be moved up a notch and there's a water fountain around her somewhere."