New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Humanoid Shape for Race Requirements ?

Can a Dragonfire Adept with the "Humanoid Shape" invocation qualify for Recaster Prc, which requires to be a Changeling?

If it works, does he need to be in the Changeling-shape to access his Prc abilities?

edit to further clarify:
    I intend to enter Recaster as DA/Sorcerer who is in Changeling form with Humanoid Shape.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Humanoid Shape for Race Requirements ?

Humanoid Shape is based on Change Shape, which changes neither type nor subtype. You need the Changeling subtype to qualify for Changeling things.

So, no, it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Tiri; 2016-09-25 at 07:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Humanoid Shape is based on Change Shape, which changes neither type nor subtype. You need the Changeling subtype to qualify for Changeling things.
    There is no changeling subtype. Changelings have the shapechanger subtype, which isn't required for stuff. So, maybe.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I forgot about that. Still, probably no, since you're not actually a changeling.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

So, no, it doesn't work.
    Sure about that?
    I thought the requirement is only: "Race: Changeling" and not "Type: Humanoid (Shapechanger)".

Sure, from a pure logical point of view, I would agree with you. But 3.5 RAW has not much of that kind of logic..^^
    So again, is it (ab)usable? Or is there any kind of rule, that I need to have the right "Type" to count as the right "Race", which I am not aware of ?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Well, ok, here's the thing. In 3.5, whether or not you are a member of a race is determined by whether you have that race's subtype, if it has one. If it doesn't, like Changeling, then you have to be that race to qualify as it.

I think Polymorph also works, since you get racial traits with it and change your type, but Change Shape isn't Polymorph. It just changes your shape.
    Last edited by Tiri; 2016-09-26 at 04:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, ok, here's the thing. In 3.5, whether or not you are a member of a race is determined by whether you have that race's subtype, if it has one. If it doesn't, like Changeling, then you have to be that race to qualify as it.
    No. Race, type and subtype are three distinct properties. Having or changing one has no impact on the others.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    No. Race, type and subtype are three distinct properties. Having or changing one has no impact on the others.
    Getting more confused here now. So what does that mean regarding to my question?

Is "Race Requirement" described anywhere where I can read rules about it?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    Is "Race Requirement" described anywhere where I can read rules about it?
    That's the crux of the issue. It isn't really described anywhere what you need to be considered X race. Humans certainly count as Humans, but what about elves who Alter Self? Polymorph? Polymorph any Object? Reincarnate?

I doubt rulings on any of these things qualifying you as your new race will be consistent.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Neither alter self nor polymorph qualify. Neither of those changes your race. They give you a new form and Polymorph changes type and subtypes, nothing more nothing less.

The original ability change shape does not change the race either.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-09-26 at 09:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    That's the crux of the issue. It isn't really described anywhere what you need to be considered X race. Humans certainly count as Humans, but what about elves who Alter Self? Polymorph? Polymorph any Object? Reincarnate?

I doubt rulings on any of these things qualifying you as your new race will be consistent.
    Neither alter self nor polymorph qualify. Neither of those changes your race. They give you a new form and Polymorph changes type and subtypes, nothing more nothing less.

The original ability change shape does not change the race either.
    Okay, but now I'm curious. What happens if you are reincarnated with levels of a prestige class that required you to be your former race?
    Last edited by supersonic29; 2016-09-26 at 09:26 AM.
    You can call me Daryll if you want.

"I am everything you want me to be, but nothing you expect me to be."

Thurbane's signature is far more useful than mine.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic29 View Post
    Okay, but now I'm curious. What happens if you are reincarnated with levels of a prestige class that required you to be your former race?
    Unless it is a PrC from CArc or CW, nothing. There is no rule that removes abilities granted by PrCs outside of those two books. In all other books you only need to qualify before taking the first level in a PrC. There are no requirements for taking additional levels or keeping the levels and abilities you have.

I am to lazy to check if those books even have PrCs with racial requirements. If there are check the respective rules for what is removed (they differ).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Yes, but having the subtype of a race lets you count as that race for prerequisites.

Also, there are racial PRCs in those books. CWar especially.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, but having the subtype of a race lets you count as that race for prerequisites.
    Please show me that rule.