New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (Warning: Nature) Why do cats torment their prey prior to dining on them?

Your cat likely regards you as the worst hunter ever. I mean, she brought home a weakened mouse for you to practice on, and even tires it out for you and shows you how to do it, and you let it get away?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: (Warning: Nature) Why do cats torment their prey prior to dining on them?

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Your cat likely regards you as the worst hunter ever. I mean, she brought home a weakened mouse for you to practice on, and even tires it out for you and shows you how to do it, and you let it get away?
    Sounds about right
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm pretty sure the "cats bring you prey because think you're a clumsy, incapable hunter" thing is BS.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2016-10-01 at 03:43 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

And I'm pretty sure we were joking around ;)
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

One of my cats would bring live mice, birds, and insects into the house and repeatedly mrow as soon as she was inside, so I am going with the intent to bring me things. Now if the intent was for them to be live I can't really say.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Cat's aren't animals. They're actually vegetables. They grow from pussy willows.

I need to cross-post this in the vegetarian thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I think a better question about domesticated cats is why do they always insist on showing you their butthole.

Spoiler: For inspiration?
    Show
    Last edited by Darth V; 2016-10-01 at 12:24 PM. Reason: formatting
    The difference between Mace Windu and Miko Miyazaki:

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    It's one thing to take on a Sith Lord outside the law; bisecting an unarmed octogenarian is a little different.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    And I'm pretty sure we were joking around ;)
    Then I failed my Sense Motive check... But in my defense, I've seen many people defend that theory quite seriously.
    Homebrew Stuff:

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Oh Lord, the theories about why cats do the things they do change with the day of the week. They're only slightly less mercurial than diet fads.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-10-04 at 01:16 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

We'll never tell. Keep on guessing!
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    We'll never tell. Keep on guessing!
    It's your method of offering tribute to the blood god Khorne, lest he become angry and destroy you?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    coincidentally, just last night my cat (weirdly, the bigger and usually more behaved one) just brought home a small rat. She just bring it with her mouth like someone would bring a kitten. It's worse than "playing with prey," because the cat don't seem to be managing to hurt it at all. It brings the small rat inside, but just then release it and chase it around, batting it with paw, but without seemingly hurting it at all. The cat's bringing the rat inside with attempt, because the door was at that time closed! She have to jump through the window with the rat on its mouth (I mostly left the front window open as makeshift cat-door when I want to let the cat in and out on themselves).

Not wanting to live with a small rat for that night, I opened the door and guided (to be proper, swept) the rat out.
    One of my cats does that pretty frequently; her favorite toys are birds, but sometimes she'll turn up with a mouse or a dragonfly. As far as I can tell, she's just doing this for fun, I'm not sure she's even made the connection between "stuff I hunt" and "food". (Food is brownish and comes from the kitchen, everyone knows that.) Unfortunately, she's not very good at being careful, so they often do end up hurt or killed if we don't interfere in time, but she seems more disappointed than anything else when they stop moving.

(This happens less often since we put a bell on her collar, but it hasn't completely stopped her.)
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't think it has anything to do with dining. Cats are playful hunters so they like to play murder things because it's fun to them, not because they want to eat it. My cats murder a ton of bugs and never eat them, just leave them often sans legs lying around the house.