New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

The lights, while not effectively doing anything active, reveal a hole high above the crumpled skeleton in the blue alcove, easily 40 ft up. You can see, this is the only alcove with such a high ceiling.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"You may be on to something, Sir Narl. This place was built for the Wind Dukes, wasn't it? They sound like creatures of air, not the earth. Whatever we seek is probably above us."

Quote Originally Posted by OOC
    The following assumes the chain is not easy enough to climb with a DC 5, if it is, disregard
    Rose begins to tie knots in a length of rope. "We will need to get this up there somehow. Seramal, do you think there is another servant in that wand? Get one to tie this end as high as possible onto the lantern's chain."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seramal

"Keen idea. Let me give 'er a flick."

With a flick, she summons another unseen servant, hopefully to carry out Rose's instructions.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

The unseen servant pops into existence, and after listening to the directions, takes the rope, which you all see as being suddenly animated of its own free will, and then rises up 25 ft, and ties off the rope to the chain.

Spoiler
    Show

Ala use rope skill, with a DC 10 for tying a firm knot.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2018-01-30 at 05:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

5. - Top - End - #425

Seramal

With a cheery grin, Seramal tries to climb up the rope.

"Walk around up there, O See-Through Servant! I don't want to be ambushed!"

She wonders briefly if these Dudes of the Air or whatever would be offended by her enchanted enslavement of these creatures. Then she shrugs and begins humming a bawdy song about how man horns a tiefling has instead.

Spoiler: Climb.
    Show
    (1d20+1)[13] Climb
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"While you're up there, have the servant tie the remaining end to the top of the chain, and then untie the other end."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Once Seramel gets to the chain, she finds its much easier to climb the chain than the rope. She manages to get all the way up, and can peer down the small tunnel, more a tube, which whistles with wind that moans slightly if she leans in to listen. It quickly opens up for two people to stand up abreast, the thin passage extends into the shadows to the northeast. Perhaps seventy feet away, the passage ends in what looks like an enormous stone face, it's mouth open in an angry scream.

Spoiler
    Show

The rope, as affixed is a good initial method to get onto the chain, and then the chain goes all the way to the ceiling.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

8. - Top - End - #428

Seramal

The half-orc relays what she sees down to her new companions.

"Not sure if the mouth is gonna come to life and eat me. Let's presume it will!" she adds happily.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Seeing how easy of a climb it was for Seramal, Rose follows up the rope and chain to the tunnel after striking a new sunrod.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on Climb for 9

"That's a... safe assumption. Stay away from any teeth."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rose takes 10 on Search checks down the tunnel for a 23 and to the Mouth, staying away from any inky black voids that may be Spheres of Annihilation in its mouth.

Spot: (1d20+4)[6]

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

Following Rose's lead, Narl pulls himself up the rope and chain with some effort, stepping carefully into the tunnel. "Let's hope this floor is solid," he mutters. "I don't want to end up like that one down there."

Then, noticing the screaming face at the end of the tunnel, he chuckles. "Friendly looking fellow, eh?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 to climb the rope: 10+1 = 11
    Last edited by rax; 2018-01-31 at 03:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Map

Please place yourselves.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Having spent the night in quiet slumber, the roaring of the flames shook the bearded dwarf awake in a most abrupt manner. Grumbling to himself about the rude awakening, the dwarf settled himself to his morning prayers, using a scrap of chalk to etch a series of arcane-looking sigils. With faint creaks and groans, he knelt and began to pray with a lilting mumble sounding almost like song before rising and adjusting his chain shirt.

~~~

Fardus followed Rose closely as she scaled the rope, his grunts coming heavy as he strained to lift his girth. Still, it was worth the effort as this half-orc had shown a remarkable tendency to fall down at the slightest provocation. "Easy there darling," he says softly as he stops at the side of the sorceress. "Let's see if we can get through the day without you falling over, shall we?"

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

Casper follows the others in climbing up, but stays near the rear of the tunnel. "Watch out for bugs and strange fungus!"

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

You travel 30 ft down the tunnel.

Spoiler: Spot Dc 15
    Show

You notice strange scratch marks on the floor, as if someone was dragged toward the lip from this location.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

I moved you all, for reasons. If you move, please post actions in a post as such.
    Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #435

Seramal

Spoiler: Spot
    Show
    (1d20+1)[5]

Seramal holds her place, looking around the tunnel with excited curiosity.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

While waiting for the rest of the party to climb up, Narl takes some time to examine the walls, floor and ceiling around him, looking for some clue as to what made the dead explorer below fall to his death.

OOC: If there's anything to see, should I roll another Spot check or perhaps a Search check, considering that I already failed the DC 15 check (see OOC thread).

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose continues forward, searching diligently for traps along the way, having successfully ignored any strange marks in the floor that are not traps.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on Search for 23, when she comes to the mouth she shall roll in addition to taking 10:
    Search: (1d20+13)[32]

Spot: (1d20+1)[15]

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

None of you notice the scratch marks on the floor and continue on, Rose leading the way.

She takes her time, scanning the area, and steps up to the door, however, 10 ft from the door, one of her feet steps on something which then proceeds to *Shoooosh* as it is pushed down. You hear an audible click, and then the mouth of the stone door facing you pops open, the eyes seem to glitter, rotating with hidden crystals, but nothing comes forth, a second later, it begins to scream, a torrent of wind wooshing into you and down the hall.

We're in rounds

Spoiler
    Show

Round 1
    Small or smaller creatures are knocked down vs fort save DC 18

Map
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2018-02-01 at 06:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Growling a curse, Fardus grabs Seramal’s arm and pushes her towards the chain before making. His own way there. ”Dash it all, its right on the top of my tongue what that is. Let’s move before that wind picks up even more and we don’t have a choice anymore!”

Once the larger folk are on their way down Fardus hops onto the chain, shimmying down to make room for Rose.

20. - Top - End - #440

Seramal

With a shrug of regret, Seramal shimmies down.

"Promise I won't look up yer apron, Fardus. Er, again."
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+1)[19] Climb

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

At the click of the plate, Rose let's out a curse. The on rush of wind and the shattered skeleton below tells her what to expect. As the rest of the party rushes back to the chain, Rose sees the potential traffic issue. She could beat them all, but...

...Rose reaches into her pocket and withdraws the ring they found on the mummified hand. "You won't get me this time," she says to the tomb, and slips it on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rose puts on the ring of feather fall

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

As the wind begins to blow, Casper pushes forward to just behind the trigger plate, growing in size until he fills the entire tunnel. His longspear is now over fifteen feet long. As he approaches the plate, he starts to look for a weak point in the door, perhaps a knob or latch.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to P11.
    Expansion, Wild Surge +1 to make it last 3 minutes instead of rounds/level.
    Wild Surge enervation check (1d100)[29]
    Now taking up O10:P11 and possibly blocking some of the wind.

Quick search (1d20)[16] or spot (1d20+1)[5]

Next round: I get d20+7 for a strength check to burst the door (+4 size, +3 strength). If it's a strong door, DC23. If it's merely good, DC 18.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

It seems few of you actually paid attention to the map, people were 'DM' moved forward along with Rose when the trap was triggered.

Fardus runs down the hallway as the wind whips up, but Seramal is the only one with the stride capable of doing so, she grabs the chain and shimmies down about 10 feet.

Meanwhile, Rose dons her ring as Casper moves Forward, and acts an effective stopper to the now gale force winds.

Round 2.

The wind picks up, now a severe wind is blasting Casper directly in the face, though, with his new size, he finds himself able to withstand the sheer force it is bring to bear. As he studies the stone face, he finds it is not a door at all, but more a stone wall, shaped into that of a face.

He is effectively blocking, and while not completely gone, the winds are lessened for everyone behind him.

Spoiler
    Show

Casper and anyone in front of him:
    Small or smaller DC fort 18 or be knocked prone and tumble backwards
    Medium creatures DC fort 18 or you are unable to move forward

Everyone behind casper
    Small or smaller DC fort 18 or be knocked prone
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

Shouting into the wind, Casper yells. "It's a wall, not a door! Dead end? Door somewhere else?"

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

Narl rushes back to the chain and begins climbing down after Seramal.

Narl took his move action back to the rope in round 1 - see map.

Round 2
    Climb speed down the chain/rope is 15 feet/round.
    Successful Climb check is in the OOC thread.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius, standing in the bottom of the shaft looks up in surprise at the shouting and the sudden appearance of several of the others. "What's happening?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"Well done, Sir Casper," Rose says. "Just don't play the hero for too long. This wind may grow to even fell one of your stature."

With that, she runs off the end of the end of the corridor, floating down to the room below.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

With the wind momentarily deflected, the dwarf huffs his way to the chain and begins to descend.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (1d20-2)[4] Climb check with penalty.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

Casper rears up, slamming his spiked gauntlet into the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Break check (strength check) against the trigger mechanism to try to break it, and perhaps de-trigger the trap. (1d20+7)[15] (+3 strength, +4 size)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#breakingItems

The trigger is not a wall, so it may be more breakable :)

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Narl moves to the chain, and starts to sidle down, as Rose gently floats down safely to the ground. Meanwhile, the dwarf rushes to the chain, and seriously misjudges it's distance, failing to get a good grip, and falls the entire way down, landing with a loud *THUD*. [9 damage]

Casper ignores the wind, and attempts to smash the trap to no avail.

Round 3

The winds pickup again, the mouth of the face wide as the near hurricane force blasts into Casper, the only remaining in the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show

Casper and anyone in front of him:
    Medium creatures DC fort 18 or be knocked prone and tumble backwards
    Large or Huge DC fort 18 or you are unable to move forward
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2018-02-06 at 04:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A