New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

By the time you all arrive back to the main chamber with the lit lanterns, the howling wind is no longer present.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose climbs up the chain, taking point at the front. "All right, mind your step here," she says at the plate. "The creature says it's safe but I'm not too keen on learning its trustworthiness here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on Climb for 9
    Take 10 on Search for 23

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Fardus carefully follows the rogue up the rope and chain, then stands several feet behind her, hands poised to catch her should the wind begin again.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Reaching the tunnel, the mouth of the stone wall is now open wide, almost reaching to the ceiling and ground respectively. You see further down; Through the gaping mouth at the end of the hallway is a long, dark room, with no floor. A three-foot-wide beam of petrified wood spans the chasm, leading straight ahead into the darkness. About ten feet below the beam, countless iron spheres the size of large oranges form an irregular floor, but it's impossible to tell if they represent a wholly solid surface. The northwest and southeast walls are covered in a honeycomb of geometric patterns. The featureless stone ceiling extends about twenty feet from the beam.

Spoiler
    Show

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Frowning when she sees the room beyond where the face was, Rose gives a careful appraisal of the passageway. "I don't like this," she says. "Why have this narrow passage over a pit if not as part of some last defense?"

"Give me some time. If there's a trap here, I'll find it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spend 2 minutes taking 20 on Search for 33
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2018-02-20 at 01:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Fardus steps up to the doorway to keep careful watch over Rose as she checks the room. "Have a care, lady. There could be threats beyond the mechanical or magical."

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Ah, the main event at last," Narl says, rubbing his hands with glee. "With any luck, we're the first to find the way since the tomb was built. Just think of all the hidden knowledge and treasure that could be in there..."

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

"Ah, a fellow pursuer of knowledge! Do you perhaps find comfort in the divine grace of Deneir?" He lifts from his chest a small silver symbol of an eye with a triangle iris, with a lit candle above it.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Rolled on Discord:
    Spot: 13
    Listen: 7

EDIT: Corrected deity.... sorry!
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2018-02-20 at 05:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"No friend, I give praise to Oghma the Binder myself. But I think it makes little difference in the end. Most of the time, the gods don't see fit to grace us with their knowledge through divine inspiration, so we must unearth it for ourselves anyway."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Edited to reflect your edit.
    Last edited by rax; 2018-02-20 at 05:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seramal

Bolting ahead as usual, the half-orc continues to pinch the twin bottoms of Beshaba and Tymora.

"I call dibs on shiny rocks!"
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

Casper also climbs up the chain, standing behind the others in case another wind trap is triggered. "I hope you can spot any more pressure plates - I would not want to be knocked off that bridge."

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Mistress Rose? How are things coming along? Should we launch Seramal into the pit and see what happens?" Narl says jokingly, showing uncharacteristic impatience.

13. - Top - End - #523

Seramal

The half-orc grins her tusky grin.

I'll have to get him drunk and sell him to some miners when we get back to town.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius brings up the rear, breathing heavily. The climb up the rope encased in steel had been a challenge. Looking at the beam over the pit of strange metallic speheres he sighed, "This place is surely a trial for the less nimble. Before someone tries to cross should we affix them to a rope to allow us to catch them if required."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Wise words, Brother Cyrius. I like the way you think."

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Seramal rushes forward onto the beam, to the shock and chagrin of everyone!

She steps onto it and....nothing happens.

Spoiler
    Show

hahah

I'm back, and I kind of ad-hoc'ed this after the group discussed Seramal and her actions.

map

Rose finds nothing amiss on the beam.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2018-03-15 at 03:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Stepping up next to Rose at the entrance, Fardus reaches out to touch Seramal's back. "My dear, when something is so obviously a trap there are times when it is worthwhile to NOT run directly into it. If I might make a suggestion... although the ground below looks somewhat uneven, perhaps crossing carefully there will be safer than being unceremoniously tossed or dropped there from the height of the beam. And by crossing carefully, I mean let some of our more sturdy companions go first, Seramal."

18. - Top - End - #528

Seramal

Have a care, padre. Last man who laid hands on me? Couldn’t stop smiling for a week,” she says, waggling her eyebrows.

Inwardly, she shudders. She was starting to realize that her actions might end up getting her new friends killed. Well she herself seem to have no fear of facing Kelemvor for judgement, She would hate to be the one to make rose, for example, kick it early.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2018-03-15 at 05:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Umm, Fardus? The "floor" appears to be made of iron spheres. They don't look like any sort of stable footing I've ever seen - the beam seems like a much less arduous option. On the other hand, those elegantly matching walls on either side with the lovely geometric patterns? I don't much like the look of them either," Narl sniffs. "Perhaps we could toss or roll something heavy onto the beam and see what happens before we march out there. Any takers?"

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"Talos's daughter!" Rose curses at Seramal's recklessness. "Are you so impatient for death?"

Rose holds her breath, waiting for the inevitable to happen, and is surprised when it doesn't. Exhaling, she turns her attention back to the plank in front of her. "Neither I nor our foolish friend there have found anything, but that doesn't mean the floor is safe. Let's secure the knotted rope to the beam before someone accidentally finds out what's down there."

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

"I can summon another construct and have it strike the floor repeatedly as it crosses. Would that help?" Casper stands back, watching the less cautious members of the group.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"An excellent idea, Casper. Though I think we'd be better served if you first let your construct do the same while walking across the beam. That way, we'll hopefully find out if there's even any need to wade through a sea of iron balls..."

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

The heavy dwarf ponders for a moment, then nods. "If you think that is the best choice, then by all means! Let the ghostly critter be our advance."

24. - Top - End - #534

Seramal

Dont forget my invisible little buddies. They’re just a flick away!

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

"True, but I think that might not be a limitless resource. Better to save that for now, I'd say."

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

Casper concentrates, and a moment later, a glowing construct appears. It runs along the path, stomping hard on the ground with every step, its arms open wide. If there's time, it circles back and checks the area around the path.

Spoiler
    Show

Spending 2pp and a wild surge to manifest at ML3.
    Enervation check (1d100)[21] low is bad

2nd level (medium) astral construct, with the Celerity enhancement (+10' speed). Total speed 50', and doing double moves with its feet hitting the ground extra hard.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/mo...lConstruct.htm

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius looks over the edge of at the collection of iron spheres on the floor and the beam. He looks at the others. "perhaps the spheres would be easier footing than a narrow beam. We are not all so lucky with natural grace." He looks at the beam, "Maybe if someone took a rope across we could then climb up the other side?" he watches with interest as the strange contruct stomps across the beam.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"It's only narrow if you intend to dance with Fardus on it, but if you insist." Rose secures a weight to the end of the rope and uses that to swing a length under the three-foot width and up the other side and cautiously walks to the other side before tying the loop together.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

As the Astral Construct moves across the beam Stomping its feet as it did so, when suddenly a metallic sphere spits out of the strange shapes in the wall...and smashes into the construct knocking it off the bridge! It tumbles into the sea of iron sphere's below with a clacking cacophony.

Spoiler
    Show

Astral construct takes Damage - (1d4)[1] from the ball and Damage - (1d3)[3] from falling.

If he moves at all, he must make a DC 10 balance check or fall prone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

”Most interesting! Rose, does that give you any indication on how to address this most diabolical trap? Failing that, I for one would rather manage my own descent.”