New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

Rose

"Well, won't be crossing there," she says, tying off the loop where she is before retrieving her tools. She moves up to just before where the construct was hit and examines the beam.

Spoiler
    Show

Search:
    - Take 10 for 23

Otherwise she'll take 20 to find it

Disable Device
    (1d20+8)[12]

no whammies no whammies no whammies

Edit: "That... should... do it? I think? I guess there's only one way." Rose crosses the beam.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2018-04-16 at 07:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

The construct attempts to stand and make its way back to the bridge.

Balance (1d20+2)[12]

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Rose moves across, fairly certain, whatever it was, was disabled.

She realized the error of her ways as she was pummeled by a solid sphere of metal in the side. She managed to jump, and twist as the last moment, grabbing hold of the beam, and swinging herself under and backup to the other side, landing on the beam with both feet. The metallic sphere clanking against those below, as well as those being moved by the astral construct being ordered by Casper, which was having a very hard time of it.

Spoiler
    Show

Rose takes Damage - (1d4)[4]
    Made the ref save to stay on the beam.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Oof, that's going to leave a mark," Narl winces as the sphere hits Rose. "You know, there's an awful lot of spheres down there. I wonder how many explorers have been knocked off the bridge over the years. More importantly, unless they all crawled out again in one piece... where are the bodies? And speaking of getting out of the pit - Casper, why not try having your mind ghost crawl instead of standing up?"
    Last edited by rax; 2018-04-17 at 11:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"Arhg!" she cries from the impact on her already bruised body. "That answers that question."

"I'll keep working on this. In the mean time, if the ghost hasn't found anything, I suggest the pit."

Spoiler
    Show
    Disable Device: (1d20+8)[19]

And I probably should have taken the Total Defense action. Will do that next time! But I'll wait for actions before testing again.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seramal

"I can pop people one by one across the way once we have something to trades places with. Should we try another invisible guy from the wand?"
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

As Rose attempts to disable whatever it is thats triggering this trap, the Astral construct clatters through the iron spheres below, causing quite the racket, in the otherwise usually quiet tomb. It manages to make it's way all the way back to the entrance, but is about 10 feet below it.

She realizes that she's looking at a proximity trigger, which, are generally very hard to counter. You also swear you just heard someone laughing at you.

Spoiler
    Show

The AC is sunk into the spheres a bit, so is effectively 10 ft below the bridge

map

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"I'm sure this is all very amusing," she snaps at the laughter. "But if you know how to freeze a taction lever without freeing the arrester and getting us all killed by a hail of iron balls, by all means."

"I'll get it, it'll just take a little longer than I thought."

Spoiler
    Show
    Disable Device: (1d20+8)[26]

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus peers down over the edge, watching the progress of the astral construct, then jerks up at the sound of mysterious laughter.

"I say, what is that now? Does someone find this all amusing? Indeed, I'm sure you're very clever hiding all unseen while we struggle with this. Why not be a good chap and show yourself, maybe lend a hand? I promise we'll be well behaved if you are."

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

THe young crusader's eyes watch the contrsuct carefully seeing no additional balls striking the poor beast. "It appears safe on the floor, if we drag a lassoo of rope along the beam we can just walk across the spheres with the rope looped over the beam and then climb out at the other end?" He grins slightly, Then no balancing and no stell sling balls."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

"That sounds good. Do you have rope?" He commands the construct to return, although it's close to expiring.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

Narl - one, Beshaba - zero. No need to tempt her twice by climbing down there unless absolutely necessary... Narl considers that he was right about there being a trap and takes a seat at the edge of the opening into the room, waiting for Rose to finish her attempts to disable the trigger mechanism. "Take your time, Mistress Rose. We're in no hurry, I think."
    Last edited by rax; 2018-04-22 at 12:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose takes a deep breath. She's certain she disarmed it this time. Certain. She draws her short sword and takes a defensive stance, but only because there might be something else. She's not worried about the iron spheres. Those are the furthest thing from her mind. She disabled the trap. She can walk forward without fear of tripping it.

Walk forward. Just put one foot in front of the other. It's simple. A single step.

She bolts across the remainder of the beam.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Total Defense
    Move: 10-AB

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Rose manages to move accross the beam without a sphere being shot at her. Seemingly, she was able to disable the device.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"All clear!" Rose tells the others. "And if you wouldn't mind, Sir Fardus, my ribs took quite the hit." Turning back to the room, she examines the wall at the end of the beam looking for a hidden door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: Take 10 for 23

16. - Top - End - #556

Seramal

"See? Nothin' to it, says Seramal. She walks across to stand by Rose.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

Narl jumps to his feet when Rose reaches the other side. "Oh, WELL DONE, Mistress Rose!" he calls out, clapping his hands in delight. Clearly, he's relieved not to have to slog his way through the spheres below. He buckles on his backpack, picks up his flail, and walks across the beam to join Rose on the other side of the room.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Having received no response to his challenge, the portly dwarf makes his careful way along the bridge, his wand held forth to tap Rose gently on the shoulder, imparting a charge of healing energy. That done, he peers down at the balls, considering the sights he has witnessed.

"You know, it seems quite probable that there may have been others before us that have attempted to cross this and failed, as did the construct... and almost as did Rose! If that is the case... then perhaps there might be something to be found below!" He goes back to the entrance to this room and wiggles his body down over the edge, huffing and heaving as his bulk makes his way over before hanging from his hands and releasing, landing heavily but attempting to roll with the landing.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (1d20-1)[19] Tumble check to reduce fall damage.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

As Rose shows up her ability to disarm traps, she swears she hears more than Narl clapping, but whom?

Caspers astral construct attempts to climb out of the pit of iron spheres with the rope, as Fardus falls, but with some grace down and into the pit, he sinks a slightly down, as the spheres move to allow the new mass.

At the same time, something churns underneath the ocean of iron spheres, and something attacks the astral Construct!

4 green limbs withdraw from the confines of the iron sea and attempt to latch on, however the construct disappears, leaving Fardus alone, facing a 4 tentacled abomination!

Spoiler
    Show

AC lasts 3 rounds right?

Initiative - (1d20+2)[12]
    Everyone can roll, if you are higher than the monster (initiative), then go ahead and act.

Spoiler: Dungeoneering DC 18
    Show

DC 18
    This is a Grick, they like to grapple.

DC 23
    Once they successfully grapple a target, and disable them, they will attempt to withdraw to feed upon them.

DC 28
    They are very resilient against non-magical weapons (DR Magic)

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose turns back to mock bow for the collective praise, only to see the strange creature rear up from the ball pit and strike at the ghost, with Fardus down there with it! On instinct she rushes across the bridge and tumbles into the pit below, the ring causing her to gently glide and land next to the snake-like monster. A spark of fire appears next to the creature, distracting it for a moment as her sword arm appears to split into two and drives forward.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift: Distracting Ember provides flanking
    Standard: Shadow Blade Technique

Short Sword Attack 1:(1d20+8)[18]
    Short Sword Attack 2:(1d20+8)[17]
    Crit Confirm: (1d20+8)[27]

Damage:(1d6+6)[7]
    Cold Damage: (1d6)[2]

Edit: Will take the 17, so if that hits, it gets the cold damage in addition to regular. Otherwise, the attack misses.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HP:12/14 Nonlethal Damage: 6
    AC:17 Touch:13 Flat-footed:14
    Fort:2 Ref:6 Will:4

Conditions:
    Filter mask: +2 to saves against gas-based effects.
    Island of blades: Flanking if Rose and ally are adjacent to the same creature.
    Lesser Vigor: Fast healing 1 (9 rounds remaining)
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2018-04-25 at 03:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Fardus! Look out!" Narl cries out. Moments later, Rose dives into the pit and attacks the tentacled beast. Rather than following her into the pit, he mouths a silent curse at the beast, then draws his bow and risks a shot into the melee below.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swift Action: Use hexblade's curse on the grick. DC 13 Will save to negate or suffer -2 penalty on attack and damage rolls, saving throws, ability checks and skill checks for 1 hour.
    Move Action: Draw and load bow (free action to load).
    Standard Action: Fire into melee with -4 penalty on attack roll. (1d20-2)[17]

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

...and I forgot to roll damage.

Damage roll: (1d6+2)[7]

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

Cyrius looks at the weird tentacled beast and muters an oath at its weird freaky appearance. Clumsily he walks to the edge and jumps down, blade swinging at the monster with rough force to direct the energy to his own defence.

Spoiler: Cyrius
    Show

Hps 22/22
    Saves 5/0/3
    AC 19 FF 19 touch 10

Stance: martial spirit

Move ,(Or Seramal teleport) jump on Grick flanking Rose if possible
    Stone bones [Roll]1d20+6[/rol] dam (1d8+5)[12]

If hit heal Rose 2 hps
    Last edited by DrK; 2018-04-29 at 01:02 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

24. - Top - End - #564

Seramal

With an arcane flourish, Seramal swaps the positions of Fardus and Cyrius.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Middle of Round 1
    Rose bounds over and leaps at the Grick, as it is distracted by an ember flame appearing next to it, she stabs it solidly with her blade, which is sheathed in a small amount of ice, slicing right through the beasts hide like butter!

Narl curses the thing, and then fires his crossbow, which manages to hit it, but again, the bolt fails to penetrate and bounces off harmlessly.

Seramal sees the impeding crisis, and with a flourish swaps Fardus for Cyrius.

The grick, angered by the attack rears up and strikes out at Rose.

Spoiler
    Show

Tentacles1 - (1d20+1)[4]
    Damage - (1d4)[3]

Tentacles2 - (1d20+1)[5]
    Damage - (1d4)[4]

Tentacles3 - (1d20+1)[2]
    Damage - (1d4)[1]

Tentacles4 - (1d20+1)[14]
    Damage - (1d4)[2]

Bite - (1d20-4)[3]
    Damage - (1d3-1)[1]

Initiative
    Rose, Narl, Seramal
    Grick
    Tobul, Casper, Fardus, & Cyrius

Map

Cyrius, appearing before the thing, swings but misses the creature as it is attacking Rose.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2018-04-30 at 05:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Through the hot spray of the creature's blood, Rose sees Narl's bolt slide harmlessly off its skin even though the weapon struck true. The sword is something special indeed.

"It resists normal weapons," she yells in the face of the grick's flailing tentacles. She sidesteps out of the attack towards Cyrius. "But not this!" She punctuates her sentence attempting to puncture the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Stone Bones
    +1 Short Sword: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[11]

Move: Hand sword to Cyrius

"Cyrius," she calls out as she tosses the magic sword to the warrior. "Finish it!"

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HP:13/14 Nonlethal Damage: 5
    AC:17 Touch:13 Flat-footed:14
    Fort:2 Ref:6 Will:4

Conditions:
    Filter mask: +2 to saves against gas-based effects.
    Island of blades: Flanking if Rose and ally are adjacent to the same creature.
    Lesser Vigor: Fast healing 1 (8 rounds remaining)
    Stone Bones: DR 5/adamantine (1 round)
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2018-04-30 at 07:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Happily allowing the magic to pull him from danger, Fardus nevertheless leans dangerously over the edge, trying to get a good look at the strange creature.

"Oh my good graces! That's a.... a.... a Grick! Be sure to use magical weapons if you can. Well struck, Rose!" He lets out a whoop as Rose's blade pierces the Grick.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2018-04-30 at 10:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

Narl has already nocked another arrow when Rose warns that the grick resists normal weapons. So that's why my shot slid off with no effect! Then Fardus appears on the beam and Cyrius joins Rose in the fight. At the same time, he notes that the grick seems to be moving sluggishly, indicating that his curse has likely had the intended effect.

Well, the situation seems to be well in hand. Best not to waste another arrow. He keeps his bow ready, but decides not to fire again unless the beast starts doing damage to Rose or Cyrius. In the meantime, he quickly scans the room for other threats that may be hiding below.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Ready: Narl readies a standard attack in case the grick manages to hit Rose or Cyrius this round.
    Move action: Spot check to see if he detects any other creatures below the spheres.
    Spot: (1d20+2)[17]

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

Casper crosses onto the bridge, stabbing down at the Grick with his longspear. "Where did that come from?!?"

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+3)[20]
    Damage (1d8+3)[11]
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-05-01 at 12:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570

Seramal

Seramal intones spidery words, and rubs her thumb and forefinger together.

A green, viscous blob appears, and she flicks it towards the grick.

Spoiler: Acid Splash
    Show
    (1d20+3)[14] Ranged Touch
    (1d3)[3] Acid