New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Morning Services]

Caroloine dismisses the general assemblage of acolytes and heads over to Arlem and Steven... or the midpoint between them as it's unlikely they're right next to each other.

Hello...

Felina heads over to the acolytes

Well... it would seem Caroline is feeling her relevance slip. Don't worry about all that: it's not likely to affect you all particularly much. I don't honestly understand why she insists on keeping the nearly entirely pointless werefox army employed, particularly now that they can simply go home, but I imagine I'll hear more about that at the meeting she has promised. Chins up, now: you were all selected on purpose and as strange as things have been so far this morning, it's going to settle down now.

In the meanwhile, we will be going on as planned: two of you will serve rice balls, and two will serve sake. And that's if anyone actually comes, of course... it's usually quiet this time of day and since Caroline forgot to tell anyone about this little plan, it hasn't been advertised at all.

And bonus: we don't have to hear anyone lecture us, so we're all going to end up with an extra half hour off on top of your usual break after your morning assignment, which of course puts you into lunch and so you're going to be free until 1 pm.

Now, I'm sure you all have questions! Fire away, I'll do the best I can.

Genji asked the first question that popped into his mind, "Err... who are these other religious orders, and why are we accepting them into the Temple? I thought the whole point of a temple was supposed to be that it was dedicated to a single god or goddess?" He doesn't have much comment on the Werefox army, not really having much clue what all that was about anyways. It was kinda neat that they'd be free until 1 PM, he might be able to get up to some shenanigans in that time...

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick giggles, and the priest just shrugs

That's why there are separate areas as well. I must be moving on, however, so if you'll excuse me...

He wades through the pool and climbs out. Kitnick shakes his head

I'm with you, Sam: no thanks to that notion!

[Moon Orbit]

Calicyra snorts

Without even exerting myself particularly: the wards are antiquated and the weave while powerful is of a most basic design.

Certainly, Nai won't be able to feel anything even change as they head down.
    [Sheep Moon]

The somewhat scary shadowy Krystal mashes another sheep flat with a large boulder, while Plum and the crew manage to destroy the last two: their weaponry being slightly more effective than Krystal's shadow power

Huh? Oh, hi Plum! Hi guys!

She drifts to the ground and returns to normal

Um... I'm really sorry... but they got Ri. I didn't expect anything like this and they used a Power Word before I could react.

[Morning Services]

(( Depends on your definition of "met": an avatar of Inari officiated at their wedding, but they didn't exactly get to spend a significant amount of time directly with her. ))

Caroline looks up at Arlem and Steven, she tilts her head and nods at Arlem's suggestion, though her ears flag down again at the minor chastisement

You are absolutely right, and I apologize for that: it was not at all proper to launch into a new initiative like that without discussing it first. It will not happen again.

Her ears go back to normal and she laughs softly

An excellent point, though I believe they do already cover that particular topic themselves, my darling.

then she looks at Arlem with a thoughtful expression

But perhaps we should make a formal request to Felina's relatives to help us out with something more proactive: surely Merisanne could come up with some sort of inoculation against whatever it is that transmits the condition?

[Acolyte Briefing]

Felina nods

Yeah, that could certainly have used some more introduction. So: Inari is first and foremost the Goddess of Rice. She created foxes, and later on all of us... well, except you Genji: you're actually part of the original creation. But no matter... Tamamo is directly subordinate to Inari, and handles the Nogitsune and Shadow Vulpans, because their overall outlook is just a little different from ours. They have shared our space for a very long time now, though I will admit our cooperation is more "keep out of each other's way" than actual working together.

Keiko... well, Keiko is Tamamo's youngest sister and through a rather convoluted situation has ended up divine... demigod grade, if I recall correctly. She is, in turn, directly subordinate to Tamamo, so she is still very much in Inari's "chain of command" as it were. Having her people end up here is news to me, though I'm rather sure it is more to keep an eye on them than anything else. Keiko is... unique, and I have no idea what her divine portfolio could possibly be, to be quite honest.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick giggles, and the priest just shrugs

That's why there are separate areas as well. I must be moving on, however, so if you'll excuse me...

He wades through the pool and climbs out. Kitnick shakes his head

I'm with you, Sam: no thanks to that notion!

[Moon Orbit]

Calicyra snorts

Without even exerting myself particularly: the wards are antiquated and the weave while powerful is of a most basic design.

Certainly, Nai won't be able to feel anything even change as they head down.
    [Sheep Moon]

The somewhat scary shadowy Krystal mashes another sheep flat with a large boulder, while Plum and the crew manage to destroy the last two: their weaponry being slightly more effective than Krystal's shadow power

Huh? Oh, hi Plum! Hi guys!

She drifts to the ground and returns to normal

Um... I'm really sorry... but they got Ri. I didn't expect anything like this and they used a Power Word before I could react.

[Morning Services]

(( Depends on your definition of "met": an avatar of Inari officiated at their wedding, but they didn't exactly get to spend a significant amount of time directly with her. ))

Caroline looks up at Arlem and Steven, she tilts her head and nods at Arlem's suggestion, though her ears flag down again at the minor chastisement

You are absolutely right, and I apologize for that: it was not at all proper to launch into a new initiative like that without discussing it first. It will not happen again.

Her ears go back to normal and she laughs softly

An excellent point, though I believe they do already cover that particular topic themselves, my darling.

then she looks at Arlem with a thoughtful expression

But perhaps we should make a formal request to Felina's relatives to help us out with something more proactive: surely Merisanne could come up with some sort of inoculation against whatever it is that transmits the condition?

[Acolyte Briefing]

Felina nods

Yeah, that could certainly have used some more introduction. So: Inari is first and foremost the Goddess of Rice. She created foxes, and later on all of us... well, except you Genji: you're actually part of the original creation. But no matter... Tamamo is directly subordinate to Inari, and handles the Nogitsune and Shadow Vulpans, because their overall outlook is just a little different from ours. They have shared our space for a very long time now, though I will admit our cooperation is more "keep out of each other's way" than actual working together.

Keiko... well, Keiko is Tamamo's youngest sister and through a rather convoluted situation has ended up divine... demigod grade, if I recall correctly. She is, in turn, directly subordinate to Tamamo, so she is still very much in Inari's "chain of command" as it were. Having her people end up here is news to me, though I'm rather sure it is more to keep an eye on them than anything else. Keiko is... unique, and I have no idea what her divine portfolio could possibly be, to be quite honest.
    Genji mulls it over for a moment, "What if Keiko turns out to be evil or something? Sorry for jumping to conclusions, but after getting sucked into the Mirror Temple yesterday I'm a bit distrustful of unknowns..." He tries to justify himself in a hurry, realizing that such a question can come across rather negatively if he's not careful...

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Moon Orbit]

There's the Calicyra they know.

[Sheep Moon]

"Hi Krystal~!"
    Plum keeps her eyes on the wraith-fox while the other fragment looks over the corpse, taking Ri's pistol and other gear and setting it to look a little more at peace.
    "Oh. What a shame. But don't feel too bad about it; these things happen. We're glad you're okay."
    She turns and points out the zerg. "This is Anraja, who is working with us. Nai and Calicyra are about to fly down here with the captured mutalisk - please don't hurt them."

[Morning Services]

Okay, that suggestion of Arlem's might have been a bit far out.

"It's okay, Head Priestess. We understand."

His eyes widen and ears flicker back in apprehension. One the one hand, that can't go well, can it? On the other, it could go just as badly without them getting a potential werefox vaccine out of it.

"I understood it to be more supernatural than most, ah, conditions. But that isn't something they're unfamiliar with. Check with Felina, but I think we should ask them about it."

[Acolyte Briefing]

Maybe hope Keiko wasn't paying too much attention to that question.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-12 at 11:06 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

"So...I guess we need something to talk about. Eyeing yourself any ladies, Kitnick?" Sam says, poking the fox with one of his trotters while wiggling his eyebrows, not aware of the whole gender role things foxes have.

Morning Services

Steven shrugs.
    "Whatever works, right? It's up to you. Well, it's also up to me I guess since the werefoxes are my jurisdiction. I guess I could talk to Verise about it...."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #276
    Pixie in the Playground

[Acolyte Briefing]

Genji might get the very distinct impression that someone behind him is blowing a raspberry at his back... but there's no one there.

Felina shakes her head

Those notions don't really apply very well to real life, I'm afraid. She is fiercely loyal to everyone here, and would go to great lengths to help any of us. But ... if you were to cast one of those ridiculous "alignment detecting" spells, then I assure you it would most certainly show her as evil. And I will say that people who end up on her bad side have a tendency to get eaten. But she is quite obedient to her sister, and properly subservient even to Caroline, so there's really nothing to worry about.

Her head priest, however, is pushing Lawful Good believe it or not. Matthew is quite the dedicated soul, and I actually have quite a bit of respect for him.

[Sheep Moon]

Calicyra sighs

Back to talk and diplomacy and other boring platitudes. Oh well... perhaps there will be more guardians inside: our vision cannot pierce this stone, and nothing has chosen to show itself at a window.

Krystal looks sadly at Ri's body for another moment... it's not as easy for her to just dismiss it. Then she looks up

Uh... ok... Stand down, guys: we're not fighting right now. And um... Hi, Anraja.

The crew puts their weapons away - not that they would have been any use against either the mutalisk or the queen. Anraja bows

Your Highness.

straightening back up, she continues

On behalf of the cerebrate Nazash I would like to extend our apologies for the nature of our meeting. Our enthusiasm to meet with Atorre and our distrust of your ... reasonableness ... led us to a rash action.

Krystal blinks

Uh... ok... I guess... it's just a shuttle... except for poor Ri, and that's not your fault. In fact, we'd probably have lost more people if we'd all been here... So... yeah...

But... What did you do to them, Plum? They've never tried to talk to us before!

[Morning Services]

Caroline nods to Arlem

Very good: we'll contact Merisanne Life Sciences and find out what they can do... and how much they'll charge for the privilege.

Then she smiles at Steven

That is also a good idea. After all: Merisanne may take some time to get back to us, or may be too expensive, or perhaps not even be able to help: we need some notion of the werefox's plans in the matter and a backup or at least stop-gap measure.

[Bathhouse]

(( Worse: the Fenethi still have arranged marriages ))

Kitnick's ears fold down in embarrassment

Well... my parents haven't found anyone for me yet, no. And none of the more progressive vixens has asked me, either... And I think we might look too much like kids for the other vulpans, really.

But yeah... there's a really cute and sweet arctic vixen who works over in the formal garden. I brought her some lentils at lunch, but I don't think she liked them.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-12 at 01:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277

[Sheep Moon]

They might have been some use against the mutalisk. The flying thing is certainly more fragile.

Nai smiles. I don't think you'll have to wait long, if these monsters were waiting out on the lawn.

Plum looks a little embarrassed.
    "Well, first off, we're not you, so they don't have the history of war coming between us."
    "And based on what you've told me, our psionics must have stood out like a bonfire. That's what attracted them to the Terrans in the first place, right."
    "But I think mostly it's that we're fundamentally like them. You're an individual, and we...aren't."

[Morning Services]

Arlem nods right back.

"Excellent! No, it won't be free, but hopefully cheaper than dealing with a lot of new transformations."

"Caroline, we do appreciate all that you do for the temple."

It's not much, but it bears saying.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Morning Services

Steven nods. "Yeah, so...I guess that's everything?" he says.
    But is it?

Bathhouse

"No, man, you can't let your parents do that. You gotta take charge, do it yourself. Try something else with her. Fish or something. Or venison, that's an arctic thing, right? Or I mean you could try something that's not food but that's not something I can really help with." he admits, sitting up straight so he can talk to kitnick better, though this does mean his torso has to leave the water.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Acolyte Briefing]

Genji might get the very distinct impression that someone behind him is blowing a raspberry at his back... but there's no one there.

Felina shakes her head

Those notions don't really apply very well to real life, I'm afraid. She is fiercely loyal to everyone here, and would go to great lengths to help any of us. But ... if you were to cast one of those ridiculous "alignment detecting" spells, then I assure you it would most certainly show her as evil. And I will say that people who end up on her bad side have a tendency to get eaten. But she is quite obedient to her sister, and properly subservient even to Caroline, so there's really nothing to worry about.

Her head priest, however, is pushing Lawful Good believe it or not. Matthew is quite the dedicated soul, and I actually have quite a bit of respect for him.

Genji nods, accepting her opinion on the matter, even as he looks behind him and frowns, "Sorry, I'm just concerned for everyone's safety if 8 people can get vanished on Temple grounds with nobody the wiser... I didnt mean to be disrespectful..." he apologizes, "How long dof we have before the service itself starts?"

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

[Morning Services]

Caroline smiles

Thank you, Arlem. And yes, darling: I believe that is all for now. We'll fill the others in: I'm sure Mei will be thrilled to not have to do formal services.

[Sheep Moon]

Krystal looks thoughtful, and nods

I guess that does make a certain amount of sense. And yeah, I think that's why they were after them.

Anraja nods

That is mostly correct... It was certain strains of the Terrans: it is not a universal trait.

Krystal looks at the tower

All this and we haven't even found the entrance yet.

Calicyra seems pleased with the notion

An excellent point! Obliterating undead is always especially satisfying.

[Morning Public Service]

Felina shakes her head

I understand. And it is indeed disturbing that the mirror dimension seems to have managed to be an exception to our teleport-lock: normally that should not be possible. We're looking into what modifications need to be made to the spells to prevent that in the future.

The sanctuary is now mostly empty: with just Arlem, Steven, and Caroline off to one side and a few acolytes going about the usual routine chores around the building. Since Caroline and Felina are the day-shift staff today, there aren't any other priests left.

Well... I think "now" is appropriate. Since we're not going to have a formal service after all, we'll have to wing it. So as guests enter, wait for Caroline or I to greet them and then come up and offer them the elements.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-16 at 12:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281

[Morning Services]

"Farewell then. This will be a busy time."
    There's the normal day's work, all these new things to think about, and he'll have to be involved in looking into the modifications to create a mirror-world-proof dimension-lock spell.
    But first and more importantly, there's someone to pick up from a babysitter.

Off Arlem goes.

[Sheep Moon]

Mostly correct is good enough! If Nazash had other reasons that he wanted to share, presumably they will in time.

"Right. We still need to find a way into that tower." Plum agrees, starting forward to look at other sides of the building.

"Maybe you can help with that, Calicyra? If there isn't a normal way in."

((You skipped the Bathhouse?))
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-16 at 11:43 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground

[Bathhouse]

(( oops ))

Kitnick grins

Well... a lot of us still do it that way. It's only been very recent for us that anybody would pick their own spouse. It's part of the trouble, really: going about any sort of courtship when you don't actually have any traditions for that.

Then he looks thoughtful

Fish... yeah, that would make sense. But you know... I really ought to find out what the snow foxes expect for that sort of thing: assuming they're just like the reds probably isn't the best idea.

he tilts his head

What's "venison"?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Public Service]

Felina shakes her head

I understand. And it is indeed disturbing that the mirror dimension seems to have managed to be an exception to our teleport-lock: normally that should not be possible. We're looking into what modifications need to be made to the spells to prevent that in the future.

The sanctuary is now mostly empty: with just Arlem, Steven, and Caroline off to one side and a few acolytes going about the usual routine chores around the building. Since Caroline and Felina are the day-shift staff today, there aren't any other priests left.

Well... I think "now" is appropriate. Since we're not going to have a formal service after all, we'll have to wing it. So as guests enter, wait for Caroline or I to greet them and then come up and offer them the elements.
    "How terribly exciting..." Genji teases with a grin, "Sounds easy enough. Do we have to do this all day? I kinda had plans this evening with some friends, and I was supposed to have today off, too..." He doesn't elaborate on what those plans are, aware that if he mentions he's going to the event tonight at the Dating Club then he'd probably get ribbed mercilessly by the other acolytes.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sheep Moon]

Calicyra is silent for a time

I recommend examining the back of the structure, as the sunlight never directly reaches there and so I cannot see. Otherwise, it is possible that the former owner only ever teleported in and out.

Krystal shakes her head in annoyance and heads toward the back of the tower. But there in the dim half-light, there is indeed a doorway. The door is, of course, locked tight.

There we go. Randomly teleporting gets a bit taxing even if you're pretty high level, so I would have been surprised if he hadn't left any way to get outside at all.

[Morning Public Service]

Felina looks around

Oh... sorry about that. Don't worry: we'll only keep this up an hour or so - certainly not all day! Keiko's folks do want a formal service, so we'd be getting out of their way even if plans hadn't changed. Now? I think we'll pack up once the usual morning visitors have come and gone. After that, we'll just make it part of standard sanctuary duty from now on: no reason having four extra people assigned just to hand out treats.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Public Service]

Felina looks around

Oh... sorry about that. Don't worry: we'll only keep this up an hour or so - certainly not all day! Keiko's folks do want a formal service, so we'd be getting out of their way even if plans hadn't changed. Now? I think we'll pack up once the usual morning visitors have come and gone. After that, we'll just make it part of standard sanctuary duty from now on: no reason having four extra people assigned just to hand out treats.
    Genji nods, accepting what she has said. "So we just uhh... stand here and try to look as devilishly handsome as possible, right?" He favors her with a grin, so bored that he had resigned himself to being an impossible flirt once more~ "And here I thought that I'd be doing work today!"

16. - Top - End - #286

Default [Sheep Moon]

"I really question the point of a lock in such an inaccessible and defended place."
    It isn't as though the builder had neighbors. Or, likely, visitors. Much less passerby.

But the lock is there regardless, and Atorre makes an attempt to pick it open before Krystal opens the way with magic or Calicyra by burning the latch off the door. They're very precise, but a little out of practice. Recently, most doors have been entirely possible to kick down.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

[Bathhouse]

(( oops ))

Kitnick grins

Well... a lot of us still do it that way. It's only been very recent for us that anybody would pick their own spouse. It's part of the trouble, really: going about any sort of courtship when you don't actually have any traditions for that.

Then he looks thoughtful

Fish... yeah, that would make sense. But you know... I really ought to find out what the snow foxes expect for that sort of thing: assuming they're just like the reds probably isn't the best idea.

he tilts his head

What's "venison"?
    Bathhouse

"It's cooked deer. Big things: hooves, antlers? Never seen a real one but I've cooked it a bunch of times. You could always get her a scarf or somethin'. Somethin' nice but small so you don't look desperate." he ponders, putting a finger to his chin.
    [Morning Services]

Caroline smiles

Thank you, Arlem. And yes, darling: I believe that is all for now. We'll fill the others in: I'm sure Mei will be thrilled to not have to do formal services.
    Morning Services

Steven nods and waves.
    "All right. I should probably go catch up. Need to sleep a little bit more after doing the nogitsune shift." he says with a yawn. He's learned that referring to their services as the "graveyard shift" isn't taken quite so well by some.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Pixie in the Playground

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick shakes his head

Sorry... I don't think I've ever seen a deer. The Akarthi had antelope, but they weren't that big. Tasty, though.. maybe she'd like antelope.

Then he hmms

A scarf? That I could do... Or a fan! I think she likes those painted fans.

[Morning Service]

Caroline smiles

Ok, dear: I'll see you after my shift.

and then she heads over to where Felina has been briefing the acolytes... just in time for Genji's comment. She smirks, and teases

I could certainly arrange for you to have some work to do if you feel like you are falling short, Mr. Genji.

Felina laughs softly and just shakes her head

[Sheep Moon]

The lock might just have been a "doors come with them" sort of item more than any real security measure: Plum has no trouble picking it at all. Anraja looks sourly at the doorway

I cannot fit inside there: I shall have to wait outside.

Krystal's ears fold

Sorry... wasn't exactly expecting a Zerg Queen...

Anraja nods

Of course you weren't: we have learned to shield ourselves from your scanning. And it was not easy: you are very talented, Lady Krystal.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-16 at 10:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Service]

Caroline smiles

Ok, dear: I'll see you after my shift.

and then she heads over to where Felina has been briefing the acolytes... just in time for Genji's comment. She smirks, and teases

I could certainly arrange for you to have some work to do if you feel like you are falling short, Mr. Genji.

Felina laughs softly and just shakes her head
    "If you feel I can handle more, then I'll do my best, Mrs. Caroline." He replies with a respectful bow that totally isn't to hide his blush at totally looking like a fool. It's actually kind of surprising how quickly he goes from 'suave' to 'barely-not-a-kit kitsune', since his previous delivery was smooth as silk draped over butter~

20. - Top - End - #290
    Pixie in the Playground

[Morning Service]

Caroline gives him a sympathetic look, her ears folding in non-threateningly

Oh, goodness... I am just teasing.

Felina shakes her head and laughs good-naturedly

Go get your tray, Genji.

21. - Top - End - #291

Default [Sheep Moon]

Plum frowns.
    "Well, call for us if anything happens. Actually..."

There's probably no fitting a mutalisk indoors either. It would just flop around sadly.
    Nai and the other fragment trade places. Calicyra has to go inside, and keeping an eye on the outdoors couldn't hurt.

Into the tower goes Nai, brandishing the artifact, and Plum waits to follow Krystal inside.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Service]

Caroline gives him a sympathetic look, her ears folding in non-threateningly

Oh, goodness... I am just teasing.

Felina shakes her head and laughs good-naturedly

Go get your tray, Genji.
    The fox tucks his tail between his legs and goes to get his tray, suitably chastised and made to feel like a little kid as he goes to get the tray, noting that he'll be serving rice balls as he slinks back to the assembly of acolytes, prepared to do his duty. Every inch of his body language indicates submission at this point, just wanting to get through this as painlessly as possible...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick shakes his head

Sorry... I don't think I've ever seen a deer. The Akarthi had antelope, but they weren't that big. Tasty, though.. maybe she'd like antelope.

Then he hmms

A scarf? That I could do... Or a fan! I think she likes those painted fans.
    Bathhouse

"Well, I guess it might be hot for someone who's used to it being all icey outside. I think antelope might taste like venison. I could try helping you cook it if you like. Or pick out an accessory." he says, pondering a bit before relaxing back against the edge of the pool.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Pixie in the Playground

[Morning Service]

Genji gets his tray and finds a place to stand. It's a normal morning here... which means that nobody comes in right away. Caroline's concern about the "temple" part of the temple certainly seems legitimate right now. Caroline has a book, and Felina bustles about the altar arranging and cleaning things that were already arranged and not particularly dirty.

Finally, a guest arrives! ... and goes straight to the cola machine. Caroline doesn't miss the opportunity, though:

Greetings, neighbor: the blessings of Inari be upon you. What can we do for you today?

Clunk... ka-chuk... whump! The can finds its way to the slot

Uh... wanted a cola. I always stop off on my way to work: goes really well with the breakfast burrito from Pepe's...

Felina winces, but motions to Genji and Hatsu (not that Genji knows his name...) to go over with the trays.

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick looks thoughtful

But they wear more than you'd likely imagine... they especially seem to like the silky stuff that the shadow foxes make. 'Course, the reds love that stuff too. We get hot, we go around in just our dhoti... not my favorite, but when the hot wind blows in from the sand you don't want to be all covered up.

He giggles, and wags his enormous ears

Though apparently that's why our ears are so big. The doctor said it was to help cool us off!

then he grins

You could help with cooking antelope? That'd be great! I never learned how to cook meat: it was always my mom. I know about lentils, but meat was just too expensive.

[Sheep Moon]

Anraja easily picks up on the thought, and looks over at the mutalisk drifting lazily nearby

No, this drone could not possibly enter either. He is hungry, however, and is requesting permission to feed on the remains... such a polite drone: you chose well.

Krystal turns and blinks, then looks at the others

Uh... fine with me... I'm not in a hurry to eat "twice killed" mutton.

Calicyra, however, is having none of it. A wave of heady enthusiasm and excitement radiates from the artifact: honest and untainted emotion, but potent nonetheless and difficult to ignore. The rod blazes brightly with legitimately beautiful yellow-gold light which damages undead and dispels minor "evil" spells in it's own right. It would seem that the Lord of Burning Light is, in many ways, no more "Evil" than Inari is "Good"

Forward, Nai! Together we will conquer this tower! Let the undead tremble before our might! Let the forces of death and darkness tremble! WE HAVE COME!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Service]

Genji gets his tray and finds a place to stand. It's a normal morning here... which means that nobody comes in right away. Caroline's concern about the "temple" part of the temple certainly seems legitimate right now. Caroline has a book, and Felina bustles about the altar arranging and cleaning things that were already arranged and not particularly dirty.

Finally, a guest arrives! ... and goes straight to the cola machine. Caroline doesn't miss the opportunity, though:

Greetings, neighbor: the blessings of Inari be upon you. What can we do for you today?

Clunk... ka-chuk... whump! The can finds its way to the slot

Uh... wanted a cola. I always stop off on my way to work: goes really well with the breakfast burrito from Pepe's...

Felina winces, but motions to Genji and Hatsu (not that Genji knows his name...) to go over with the trays.
    Genji feels bad for the young man, who clearly isn't looking for a hassle. He isn't sure if his duties allow him to speak or if he should remain silent, so he bows his head slightly, showing deference to their first 'worshiper' and offering the tray loaded with thick, sticky rice balls.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Pixie in the Playground

[Morning Service]

The visitor blinks

Oh.. uh.. thanks.

He takes a rice-ball from Genji's tray and eats it

Not half bad...

Then he sips the sake, and winces

Whew! Not first thing in the morning, thanks! But if you're still serving tonight, I'll have to try some more!

Caroline blinks

Inari is the goddess of rice and rice products. These are some of her blessings to us.

The visitor nods, and looks at Genji

Well. You've got a pretty good goddess then. Not so many handing out free drinks!

He makes a salute of sorts with the cola-can

Thanks... and uh... thanks to Inari. See ya tomorrow.

and with that, he heads out.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-17 at 10:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

Sam tilts his head quizzically. "The heck's a dhoti? But yeah, I can teach you how to cook meat. It's not so bad." he says with a double-shrug.

28. - Top - End - #298

[Morning Service]

No one says 'I told you so', but several different people would be within their rights to do so.

[Sheep Moon]

"What do you call the ones that we call 'drones'?"
    That said, they direct/allow the mutalisk to go over and eat the questionably preserved sheep.

"Onward!"
    Atorre needs only an instant to come to agreement with the artifact and Nai rushes in. Anything else they see moving will probably be swung at with the Burning rod before they much think about it.
    After all this time, the tower will be brought to light!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Service]

The visitor blinks

Oh.. uh.. thanks.

He takes a rice-ball from Genji's tray and eats it

Not half bad...

Then he sips the sake, and winces

Whew! Not first thing in the morning, thanks! But if you're still serving tonight, I'll have to try some more!

Caroline blinks

Inari is the goddess of rice and rice products. These are some of her blessings to us.

The visitor nods, and looks at Genji

Well. You've got a pretty good goddess then. Not so many handing out free drinks!

He makes a salute of sorts with the cola-can

Thanks... and uh... thanks to Inari. See ya tomorrow.

and with that, he heads out.
    Genji glances back to Felina and offers a thumbs up, figuring that that went... better than expected. They had just nearly harassed a fox on their way to work, and probably not fully awake yet, even... Still, it sounds like he'll be coming back tomorrow, if only for the vending machine cola.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sheep Moon]

The mutalisk flaps over to the carcasses, and Anraja tilts her head at the question

Those are drones as well... gatherer drones to be specific. Though personally I frequently call them "miserable things with no ability to plan a useful path" and "wretched nuisances that cause one to lose ones footing". I have fortunately not had many deployments where I have had cause to rely on them.

Inside, two skeletons are standing guard at the landing of a spiral stair. They do not even have a chance to react before being reduced to lime and ash in a blazing burst of light and heat. Krystal yelps

WARN us before you do that, Cal! I'll be seeing spots for hours!

the rod is unamused

Your retina will recover in less than ten minutes, oh noisy one: I don't waste energy on pointless wavelengths.

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick tilts his head as he considers how best to explain

It's a longish piece of thin cloth, about as wide as my arm usually decorated along one edge. We wear those in the hot season: you wrap in around your waist and upper thighs and tie it off. Once you're used to it, you don't even need a belt, and you can make pouches and pockets with careful folding. Nice and cool, easy to keep clean and easy to get into and out of.

then he nods

Thanks! That would be great!

[Morning Service]

Caroline sighs and looks somewhat dejected: that was not at all what she had in mind.

Let us say "the blessings of Inari" when presenting the elements: going up to a visitor in silence leaves them confused.

Felina shakes her head

Let's also wait to see if they're actually here for something besides cola! And on that note: can we get this thing out of the sanctuary? I'm all for tradition, but times have changed since Fenric built this place. Let's put it over by the guest quarters. If someone walks all the way here just for their morning beverage, another hundred yards aren't going to kill them.

Caroline looks uncertain

Perhaps...