New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

[Sanctuary]

There is a stirring in the air... as of old memories returning. Is it a ghost? Is it the faded memory of plotlines gone stale and real life drama gone out of hand?

If nothing else, it is Lady Caroline quietly taking her usual place in the Sanctuary. She nods to the acolytes and checks the arrangement of the sacred items on the altar.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-07-19 at 02:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

[Sanctuary]

Caroline will find her husband at the altar, leaning gently upon it with a mile-wide grin. Judging from his position, he's been waiting in this exact spot and position for her to walk in for a while.
    "So. How was the thing?" he asks, deciding not to go into the list of the things waiting on her attention for a while yet.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #543
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Caroline smiles

Things have settled down nicely back home. My sister has recovered at last and Mom was inspired by the events here to contact the Grand Matriarch of Tamamo and open diplomatic relations. Frederick's sister Katherine, in line to inherit the family title, is marrying a similar-grade noble from the neighboring country which we hope is a sign of improving relations between the two... but in all honesty, they have been at war on and off for several thousand years now so I am not convinced.

Then I did a tour of major temples in various places: it was lovely to see Rouen again, and the grand temple of Kotyo is quite the sight...

She takes out her phone and offers it to Steven

I wish you could have come... I missed you. But I took pictures.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Steven takes the phone and begins flipping through it.
    "Well, everything was pretty quiet. The full moon party went well, even if I'm still not good at public speaking. Had an old visitor or two. And had to forward a few letters from people I'm sure were suitors for Tamamo's sisters." he says with a shrug.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Caroline laughs

Now that Noriko and Keiko are married, people have decided the princesses are fair game. I find it amusing that someone would hope to court them but not think to send their correspondence to the castle.

then she smiles affectionately

You are better at speaking than you give yourself credit for, my darling. And just like everything else that skill requires practice to truly master - do not fret about it.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-07-25 at 06:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Steven waves a hand.
    "They probably just didn't have access to shadow-couriers. Besides isn't Yumiko still dating that dragon? Thank you for the vote of confidence, for the record.
    And speaking of Keiko, those two have apparently already made additions to the tower. New people or something."

Spako would love to meet some fair-game princesses but it's unlikely his new roommate would introduce him to her sisters.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Caroline nods

Yes: a film enthusiast, as I have heard it told. I have not met him that I know of.

a happy smile

You are most welcome, my darling.

Then she tilts her head curiously

Oh? I have not spoken to Keiko in quite some time, to be frank. Though I imagine she has her hands quite full with four little hatchlings getting into everything.

(( Yes, I know... all the kids still need names. I'm a terrible fox But names are hard! Four dragons and a ... whatever Arlem is. ))

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

"Oh, it's just come up through the grapevine. Not too many details really." Steven says dismissively, as it's unlikely anyone would have given him any details in the first place.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Firbolg in the Playground

Even if she's still dating that dragon, and Tamamo is still dating that Archdevil, that still leaves Tsukiko. Maybe Hoshiko if you have no standards. Plus a little fox-prince to arrange a marriage for.

(('Shapeshifter' will be fine. Suggestions: Ayako, Oniko, Kronoa, Hanako, and Ziselle, respectively))

Nothing to see here. Just spiders spinning their webs in the rafters.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #550
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

(( Tamamo isn't dating Mephistopheles: he was flirting with her! And she kinda maybe liked it a bit.

And yay! Let's go with Rec's names. ))

Caroline nods

In all honesty, I am just as happy to have Keiko's news be rumors: she can cause quite a disruption when she is bored.

She chuckles softly, then looks thoughtful as she changes topics

Does your church have anything planned for the upcoming lunar eclipse? It is not officially one of our services, but it might be interesting to add something: we have been accused of having a sparse calendar.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

I don't know if I've seen Tsukiko since she swore Steven in.
    "I, uh, hadn't really been planning anything..." Steven admits. It is a bit hard, grasping that he's the highest ranking priest of Tamamo here. As much as he respects the word of Caroline and Arlem, it's sort of his call, isn't it?

12. - Top - End - #552
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Sanctuary

(( Tsukiko has not. She's technically the "main" messenger to the Tails of a Fox world, so the official line is that she's busy ))

Caroline nods

Makes sense: even Tamamo isn't likely to be all that thrilled by a blood-red moon. She's less squeamish about killing people than Grandmother, but my understanding is that she doesn't really approve of it unless especially necessary.

To be fair... Tamamo was QUITE fond of that, once upon a time. These days, Caroline is correct and Tamamo is not so fond of the taste of blood. For that, you'd need Keiko - she really and truly doesn't mind... she's just trying to behave. Really, she is. That dumb jerkface cultist who summoned her last week doesn't count, and he gave her a stomache to boot.

And of course, Cleo... I mean... Recaiden is right: Hoshiko is voted "most likely to be a fallen angel". (I'm actually making a lot of that canon: Keiko is now going to be the one to help Frederick, Hoshiko is going to be the "bad one" - Keiko used to be marked for that.)

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

"Well, I will seek their consul if they think it would please her, maybe. Couldn't hurt." Tamamo and her sisters have always answered his prayers readily.

((Sounds like Tsukiko needs a vacation. Hang out, meet some dragons/Foxes/fox-dragons)

14. - Top - End - #554
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Caroline shrugs and nods

Yes, in the end it is probably best to just ask her: I do not know Lady Tamamo well enough to guess what she might prefer.

But without any fanfare or special effects, Noriko is behind Caroline where Steven can see her: grinning like she wouldn't mind some mischief but standing in a way that she could be instantly "proper" should Caroline turn around.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Steven gives the vixens a genuine smile. "Well, perhaps you ought to speak with her and her sisters sometimes. You never know when such wisdom might be dropped onto your lap." he says with a wink.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Caroline nods

Yes, perhaps I should. Whenever I meet one of them next, I suppose: they don't always...

she doesn't get any farther

Don't always what? Don't always lurk around and eavesdrop?

Caroline YIPS in a manner that Noriko finds MOST amusing.

Awww...

She winks at Steven

Great job, bud! You're a perfect shadow-fox! So...

She walks around to a more convenient position

Lunar eclipse, when the moon goes all red. Doesn't mean squat back home, but Dad did some research on what that means here... it's not so happy.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Steven beams at the shadow-vixen.
    "I do my best. But, wouldn't the nature of the place mean that it could mean anything and nothing? Heck, we have moons that vary by the week."
    As Jace found out a few years ago. Five full moons in a week, would you believe it?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Noriko nods

Yup: got it in one: It could mean nothing... but that's boring. It also could mean anything, and that's the problem.

APPARENTLY there's this really nasty unpleasant "werenight" thing. Yeah, yeah: we're not "were" - in fact, there's no such thing on our homeworld. But Dad's been poking at the magic, and it looks like our folks in particular will be affected as if they were.

Caroline scowls

Meaning what, exactly?

Noriko shakes her head

Meaning folks around here will go from cute and fuzzy to vicious teeth and bloodthirsty rage. Go ask Verise what "bloodlust" means as far as 'thropes are concerned.

Caroline blinks and shudders.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Steven frowns. He's heard of this before, reading up on Inside histories. The Linde farm was far enough to avoid the whole incident.
    "And...is this restricted to the werefoxes, or...?" he trails off. Technically speaking the Messengers were given the abilities of all Inari's creations, so whether or not they carry the vulpanthropy curse was up to question. He never tried biting anyone.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Noriko shakes her head

It's like ALL the possible moons will be full all at once. Honestly... the real answer is we don't know - never been here for that before.

Caroline scowls

The werefoxes, certainly. And I would not be shocked if the already half-feral kitsune and nogitsune didn't revert to gently unpleasant levels.

Noriko nods

Possibly. The bigger worry is folks who are infected by various strains, and simply don't know it yet.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

"Well, I suppose the most pressing question is are we going to be alright? That determines our best strategy." says Steven, trying to think.

Of course, his brother has that silly pony-magic imprint. Probably not a real therianthropy curse but it is something fuzzy with four legs.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Noriko shuffles a bit

dunno

Caroline looks utterly dumbfounded

You don't know?!

Noriko's ears fold down in uncharacteristic chagrin

No, we don't! Dad's tests on Vulpans were inconclusive, and Inari hasn't told us anything! Our tests were not able to cause any physical changes, so that's something. But mentally... results were mixed - thing is, we aren't sure that the spells we were using aren't what was responsible.

She shakes her head

We're all natural creatures: genetically this really is what we are and not some magical shenanigans, so it shouldn't affect us. But this is the Nexus and this place seems to take a certain perverse pleasure in disrupting the natural order of things.

Then she shudders

And then there's Keiko and Yoshiko: their dragon thing makes me worried: rampaging feral dragon Keiko would be... challenging.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

"Well, is there some way we could shield the temple from the moon's effect? I'm sure we could keep Keiko here for one night." Steven suggests.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Noriko looks thoughtful

The whole Temple? No way: it's way too big now. But we could probably shield the Sanctuary - bring the most at-risk people here.

Caroline scowls

And if the shielding doesn't work then we have feral, disintegration-breathing Keiko in HERE.

Noriko winces

It'll probably only take a couple of Miracles... each...
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-07-28 at 03:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Steven winces. "And there's no one we can turn to? There's no moon deity we can request aid from? No magic flute we can hunt for?" he asks. It's true, their Rolodex of gods and goddesses is quite large. As is their treasure map collection.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Noriko shakes her head

Not in the time given, no. But it's the best we've got: Kei and Yumi will have to chill here. You guys go scour your vault here for anything that'll help out. This used to be a werefox temple, after all, so there's got to be something useful down there. If nothing else, burn through some of those Protection From scrolls you keep having the acolytes make - you've got to have thousands by now.

Caroline brightens and nods

Yes! There are a sizeable number of scrolls in that collection that could be quite useful.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven nods.
    "That sounds like the best we have. It's too bad Eclipse has no power over its namesake." he says in a weak joke, flicking the guard of his sword.
    "I'll get started on the vault right away." he suggests.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Sanctuary]

Noriko nods

Great: Off you go! I'll go fetch my sisters and see who we might be able to recruit that won't be a bigger problem.

After all... sometimes "help" ends up causing more trouble that you started with.

Noriko vanishes and Caroline looks around

I am going to have acolytes remove everything particularly fragile or valuable off to the basement while you get started downstairs.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven grins at his wife. "Welcome back dear." he says, before scurrying off to the vaults. He hopes they still have good documentation.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [To the Vault]

Down the stairs, then a jog, then along an unreasonably cold, narrow hallway to the heavy door. It opens easily for Steven, magically keyed to open for authorized clergy.

The layout hasn't changed, but it is a little better organized than the last time anyone was here in-character A long row of cubbies hold rolled-up magical scrolls sorted alphabetically by type and labelled. The vast majority by count are the myriad protective enchantments endlessly scribed by acolytes and priests as magical exercise or minor penance.

For all Noriko's teasing, though, the turnover on the more useful ones is fairly high: protections from missiles, poison, fire, and negative energy only have around a dozen each still in stock.