New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VII: A T.A.D. Too Much Dialogue These Days

Odds on the ship with Schlock on it getting hit and the comic ending?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    In order to hit that many ships randomly in a galaxy, you'd need to fire trillions of shots.
    If the unknown shooter (pa'anuri or not) can detect Transuranic Alloys (or Teraporting drives or Gravy plants) with some ultimate galaxy-wide FTL-detector, the shooting wouldn't be randomly.

Just shoot the largest target of a place that is "populated" with several targets. Wait a short while, then shoot the second largest target near the killed one.

As the long gun cannot be traced and the targets are suspicious they were targetted by one of their own, that method is guaranteed to start at least a few wars among some the targets.

Of course, if you have additional data on your targets, or if you have actually a spotter directing you, you can shoot more selectively.

3. - Top - End - #1353

The randomness discussion started with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I don't get that last strip. Are they implying that the long gun shots are actually coming from the dark matter beasties who are actually trying to stop Petey's machinery in the galaxy's core from charging?
    It is about trying to hit the core and accidentally hitting the ships in the process.

4. - Top - End - #1354

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    It is about trying to hit the core and accidentally hitting the ships in the process.
    Oh now I get it. And the colonel got stuck with that extra lame joke because the other characters in that strip are supposed to be cool and/or intelligent.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Yeah, not buying it. As pointed out, the chances of hitting something else accidentally are so small that you wouldn't expect it to happen in years of shooting, much less several times within the course of a few weeks.

Also, didn't the Pa'anuri build their own core generator, which is providing more power than Petey's because Andromeda has a larger core than the Milky Way does? If it just comes down to who has the biggest guns, they're already winning that battle, they don't need long guns to tip the odds their way.

6. - Top - End - #1356

The joke is thus:

The map resembles a target on a firing range, and the the "bullet holes" are all scattered, which, in the case of a target on a firing range, would indicate that the shooter is unqualified with the weapon.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ogre in the Playground

We get that. We're debating if it's JUST a joke, or foreshadowing.

8. - Top - End - #1358

Sorlees punchline may be foreshadowing. Cause Petey went ramming speed against Andromeda, so the pa'anuri are scrambling for a hasty extinction event.

But the Colonels 'joke' is just wrong, because each Red dot stands for TWO hits. The shooter (whose only motive can be provoking galactic war, afawk) might just randomly choose the locations, but they have not missed them, and they always not-missed twice.

It's like you look at a earth map of cities with 10M inhabitants. If you draw the longlat grid, you realize that the humans missed to colonize the 0/0 coordinate in the equatorial bay of Africa. So, we humans failed to hit Earth at the critical spot.
    That reasoning is akin to the Colonels joke. It's terribly lame.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2018-03-19 at 10:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Also, didn't the Pa'anuri build their own core generator, which is providing more power than Petey's because Andromeda has a larger core than the Milky Way does? If it just comes down to who has the biggest guns, they're already winning that battle, they don't need long guns to tip the odds their way.
    They don't need but they have little reason not to do it anyway, it's just good strategy. If it fails it likely cost them almost nothing since they're operating by proxies. If it works, well, they won.

To overextend the metaphor: Even if you have a bigger gun there's alway the risk they're a better shot or hurt you before they die, so why even take the risk of a duel if you can end the battle before it even started by making your opponent shoot themselves ?
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2018-03-19 at 11:34 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

10. - Top - End - #1360

BlackDragon

I think the problem is that I, personally, would find it very unsatisfying if it was the Pa'anuri behind this. It doesn't seem to match up with the regular extinction events that we've been told are happening, for a start. Also, the Pa'anuri have been around for tens of thousands of years--why would they only be using long guns now?
    Last edited by factotum; 2018-03-20 at 03:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ogre in the Playground

I like today's page. Good old Schlock at his best.

As for who's behind the Longgun shots, Tayler likes intricate plots with at least 3-4 levels of puppeteers pulling the strings of other puppeteers. So that's what I expect. A race of Stupids are firing Longguns for money from randomguys that other randomguys mindcontrolled for who knows who.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

the Pa'anuri have been around for tens of thousands of years--why would they only be using long guns now?
    Only tens of thousands? I was under the impression it was millions, and possibly billions.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #1363

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Only tens of thousands? I was under the impression it was millions, and possibly billions.
    Which just reinforces my point, doesn't it? The Pa'anuri have been around for a heck of a long time, it beggars belief that they (a) only just learned about long guns or (b) only just decided to use them now, despite the many occasions on which they would already have been useful.

14. - Top - End - #1364

BlackDragon

Odds on the ship with Schlock on it getting hit and the comic ending?
    Zero. They've regrown Schlock before.

This time, they can do it better than before. Better. Stronger. Faster. Wrong show.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post

This time, they can do it better than before. Better. Stronger. Faster. Wrong show.
    You're scaring us.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Not from vapour. He's been broken into pieces and the pieces reassembled, which seems to be a pretty standard amorph ability even though other amorphs don't do it that often.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Not from vapour. He's been broken into pieces and the pieces reassembled, which seems to be a pretty standard amorph ability even though other amorphs don't do it that often.
    But now he's got a RED backup gestalt in addition to his normal ability to recover from gross physical trauma.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

Schlock was restored from an external backup that Petey had previously taken after the "basejumping" incident -- the extreme impact, the extreme cold, and the grenade detonation completely erased his "chemical memory".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

19. - Top - End - #1369

The moral debate about Lazarus is that it does not resurrect or restore people, particularly from higher tiers of death. Same deal with Petey's Instant SchlockTM. It is still dying. You just make a new one.

Ah, yep. I definitely like blue kitty. I hope to see more of him.
    Last edited by Xanyo; 2018-03-21 at 08:34 PM.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1370

Why do I feel that Elf will desperately need a non-disabled ship a few strips from now?

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

If elf doesn't order Schlock to hide (or at least let him do it) , then I will be somewhat annoyed at her for forgetting the ever-crucial Maxim 30.

Unfortunately, I suspect that she may order him to remain in the open just so she can feel like she controls him or to teach him a lesson.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-03-26 at 11:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Titan in the Playground

ELF has certainly made progress on her anger issues.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Why do I feel that Elf will desperately need a non-disabled ship a few strips from now?
    There's one right next door.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

24. - Top - End - #1374

BlackDragon

I'll go with option B.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Um, dead kitties walking?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #1376

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Um, dead kitties walking?
    I doubt Schlock will kill them, but he'll presumably warn Elf what's about to happen and let her decide what to do.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt Schlock will kill them, but he'll presumably warn Elf what's about to happen and let her decide what to do.
    Errr... that doesn’t sound like him. Eat them and let Elf know is more his style.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Errr... that doesn’t sound like him. Eat them and let Elf know is more his style.

GW
    It probably was schlock’s style, but this amorph isn’t schlock. It’s schlock with a conscience, so in other words, a totally different person. I’m not sure what he’ll do.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-04-01 at 12:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh my god I'm crying too.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Oh my god I'm crying too.
    I was hoping that Para had somehow survived (even as a headless zombie). I think what actually happened is that Para hopped out to grab the parts she wanted and told the cyborg space serpent to stay close. It moved slightly away from her, and then the ship exploded around it. Poor cyborg space serpent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.