New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Read: The Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press

Just a quick question, are there perhaps 2 different versions of the Tome of Beasts? I got mine today (black cover with a mind flayer head), and it has no creature within it that has a name that starts with "A."
    Last edited by Gnomes2169; 2016-11-05 at 11:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    Just a quick question, are there perhaps 2 different versions of the Tome of Beasts? I got mine today (black cover with a mind flayer head), and it has no creature within it that has a name that starts with "A."
    I'm not sure if they've released alternate versions; maybe it was a Kickstarter backer goal? Here's an image of the cover I got, pulled from their Kickstarter page. Are you perhaps thinking of the alternate art for Volo's Guide to Monsters?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
    I'm not sure if they've released alternate versions; maybe it was a Kickstarter backer goal? Here's an image of the cover I got, pulled from their Kickstarter page. Are you perhaps thinking of the alternate art for Volo's Guide to Monsters?
    Yeah, that second one is the one I have, but it has a grand total of 0 monsters that have been covered so far in this thread.
    Last edited by Gnomes2169; 2016-11-06 at 02:32 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Yeah, that second one is the one I have, but it has a grand total of 0 monsters that have been covered so far in this thread.
    Propably because Volo's Guide of Monsters from WotC (that isn't yet out everywhere) is a different book from Tome of Beasts from Kobold Press (that came out months ago)?
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

An epic level quest would be finding a way for the last two Andrenjinyi to reproduce, thereby staving off the end of the world or something like that.
    Maybe the Transforming Gullet can create little Andrenjinyi if you can persuade the big one to do so - with appropriate offerings and some DC 30 Religion checks.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Propably because Volo's Guide of Monsters from WotC (that isn't yet out everywhere) is a different book from Tome of Beasts from Kobold Press (that came out months ago)?
    This is probably the problem, yes! And the reason why I need to actually do research... blargh... ignooooore my failures and my transgressions please.

7. - Top - End - #37

No Alhoon? I thought I saw one in the index.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    No Alhoon? I thought I saw one in the index.
    It's under the category Mind Flayer; Alhoon. No proper A's section in Volo's Guide to Monsters.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Sestaci are another Kobold Press setting-specific item that easily refluffs to some sort of "chosen ones", depending on your campaign. Half-orcs? Wild magic sorcerers? People who have been bitten by a lycanthrope but were cured of the affliction? Whatever suits you.
    No it's not.

It's a term for a six-fingered person. I wrote the original Pathfinder monster for Tales of the Old Margreve and pulled that bit out of the wikipedia page for an ala (which I can't link because it's been too long and my post count is now 0, but you can find it easily enough, the ala (demon) page).

It isn't setting-specific, it's a nod towards the eastern european source material inspiring a lot of KP material. I scooped it because it was cool and a GM could do something with it.

Carry on.

-Ben.