New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 10: La Li Lu Le Lo

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Does she wear body armor, or is she just covered in it?
    Wears it. She's indicated she CAN remove her armor, the heavy stuff over her chest and extremities, and the secondary, lighter armor on her abdomen, hips, and joints. But it makes her extremely uncomfortable to be that exposed, so she stays in iron constantly.

If she ever DOES start removing it, that will probably be a sign of increasing mental health.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I had read that her current body is covered in armour and that she could get a civilian chassis if she so chose. She is probably a registered owner of her current chassis. More so than others because of the military grade hardware.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Wears it. She's indicated she CAN remove her armor, the heavy stuff over her chest and extremities, and the secondary, lighter armor on her abdomen, hips, and joints. But it makes her extremely uncomfortable to be that exposed, so she stays in iron constantly.

If she ever DOES start removing it, that will probably be a sign of increasing mental health.
    It would be nice just to see her smile one time.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, the angel approach.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Someone should tally what makes Bubbles blush. It seems to me like her interactions with Faye are causing them more and more.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder what her abs feel like. I wonder how you can feel anything through her armor. I wonder what a slinky full of ball bearings WOULD feel like.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Remember, kids, even if comics are a visual medium, telling us things is pretty much the same as showing us. Just as good, if not better. Think of all the time you save not learning how to draw anatomy, or risk defiling your eyes looking at references.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2016-10-28 at 04:34 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok but tactile sensation is a bit harder to convey.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Remember, kids, even if comics are a visual medium, telling us things is pretty much the same as showing us. Just as good, if not better. Think of all the time you save not learning how to draw anatomy, or risk defiling your eyes looking at references.
    Ugh, I know right? Don't these people know we read webcomics for their stunning visuals, not all this stupid characterization dialogue, or the wacky scenarios?! And it's more common than you think: there's two long-running webcomic that are--I swear by the Nine--freaking stick figure comics! I mean, who the hell do these hacks think they are, focusing more on communicating complex philosophies, sea-deep characterization, and funny jokes at the expense of the art, when we all know that the visuals are the only thing that matters?!! One of those comics has even had a couple "art upgrades", not that it really changed all that much!
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2016-10-28 at 11:23 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

We work within the confines of our medium. And for a stick figure comic, Rich manages to convey a lot with action, motion, and expression. We don't really have to "take the character's word for it" like we do in this page, as a blatant example.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you asking for a shared thought bubble of a slinky full of ball bearings to convey what Bubbles' abs don't feel like? IDGI.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I think that we're just all baffled by the incredibly awkward simile that's been brought up.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

A container full of ball bearings is a weird tactile description regardless, but especially so in this case where the "container" is a slinky...which is not, in fact, a container.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    A container full of ball bearings is a weird tactile description regardless, but especially so in this case where the "container" is a slinky...which is not, in fact, a container.
    Can not a coil of wire contain a row of ball bearings?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Can not a coil of wire contain a row of ball bearings?
    Sure, as long as you don't move it. Slinkies don't exactly have a a base capable of keeping balls from slipping. Plus, you'd think a military killbot would have abs a little tougher than a slinkie. And yet that's what Marten was apparently expecting
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2016-10-28 at 10:27 PM.

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

A thought occurs: If it's armor, how can he feel her abs through it? The logistics of how he can feel abs through...whatever it is that covers her stomach, the way he is feeling them baffles me. In order for him to feel abs through it, but not show them, it would have to be made of a loose thin fabric like a t-shirt, but it clearly doesn't move like that, and you could hardly call such a thing armor. I'm also trying to visualize what she looks like under the armor in the third panel, and I'm even more confused. She must lie somewhere between Liefeldian and Lovecraftian proportions.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A thought occurs: If it's armor, how can he feel her abs through it? The logistics of how he can feel abs through...whatever it is that covers her stomach, the way he is feeling them baffles me. In order for him to feel abs through it, but not show them, it would have to be made of a loose thin fabric like a t-shirt, but it clearly doesn't move like that, and you could hardly call such a thing armor. I'm also trying to visualize what she looks like under the armor in the third panel, and I'm even more confused. She must lie somewhere between Liefeldian and Lovecraftian proportions.
    It wouldn't surprise me if her abs are her armor there. I mean yeah, technically she needs them to move, but chances are if her armor was to get busted there her abs would be pretty hosed anyway.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Only explanation I can think of is maybe it's graphine armor? I don't know how the progress on that is going, but supposedly it's super-lightweight, super-thin, super-flexible, and is extremely effective armor. Of course, it begs the question of why they're using a super-material like that for her stomach armor when the rest of her armor appears to be more traditional plating and the like, meaning that the only reason to have that particular armor in that particular location is to have her stomach be armored while still letting you feel her sick abs.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Mobile parts have always been harder to armor up to keep the mobility intact. Sometimes you even have to give up armoring them entirely.
    Abs is a mobile part important in crawling, crouching and bending over. Of course the abs aren't heavily plated with rigid materials like the pectorals are.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Bubbles has stated that the darker parts of her armour are flexible to allow for a fuller range of motion. It stands to reason that flexible armour would let you feel stuff under it, if it's thin enough.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I would have used the phrase "flexitube full of ball bearings" personally. My thought with using slinky is that Bubble's lower torso does not look like a slinking, since a vertical slinky is smooth, while her lower torso has ridges.

Granted I am not sure if "flexitube" gives the same mental image to everyone else.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I would have used the phrase "flexitube full of ball bearings" personally. My thought with using slinky is that Bubble's lower torso does not look like a slinking, since a vertical slinky is smooth, while her lower torso has ridges.

Granted I am not sure if "flexitube" gives the same mental image to everyone else.
    I don't even know what a flexitube is, so it's really hard to say. My immediate thought is something like a pool noodle.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm just wondering how you can feel anything, abs or ball bearing through what is supposed to be armor. Yes it's more flexible armor, but it's still armor, it's still supposed to stop bullets and whatnot. And to feel through it, it got to be pretty thin, so those two don't work well with each other. If he can feel whats under it just by touching it, then a bullet fired at it can seriously harm those parts.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I'm just wondering how you can feel anything, abs or ball bearing through what is supposed to be armor. Yes it's more flexible armor, but it's still armor, it's still supposed to stop bullets and whatnot. And to feel through it, it got to be pretty thin, so those two don't work well with each other. If he can feel whats under it just by touching it, then a bullet fired at it can seriously harm those parts.
    Occam's Razor answer: some kind of Nonsense Future MetalTM that's thin enough to feel things through bit can still stop a bullet.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Occam's Razor answer: some kind of Nonsense Future MetalTM that's thin enough to feel things through bit can still stop a bullet.
    Perhaps something similar to impact gel?

My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Also if it were thin enough to feel we should also be able to see them. At least with a better outline than a vague tube.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Materials that harden in response to hard, quick impacts but are soft in response to gentle, slow impacts already exist. You may be familiar with kevlar. And cotton.

Not that I expect Bubbles' flexible armour pieces are made of either of those, but it's probably some sort of fabric or metallic thread. Or it's filled with corn starch and water.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I wasn't saying flexible armor doesn't exist. Kevlar might be relatively flexible, but I don't think you can actually feel abs through it, and still expect it to protect you.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It could be that it formed impact gel, sort of a military equivalent to Soft Robotics.

I don't even know what a flexitube is, so it's really hard to say. My immediate thought is something like a pool noodle.
    This is what I was thinking in terms of "flexitube". Basically like the flexible portion of a drinking straw.