New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Mobile Tools to help create a campaign

Im currently working on a story driven campaign that will be composed of of a number of set piece modular adventures that will carry the main story. Mixed in with the more typical, making it up as one goes along, character driven adventures. Its going to be an online campaign over roll20.

But its super, super slow as I have next to no time to actually work on it at home on my computer. Instead I have to do everything on my phone. Right now All Im doing at home is using Masterplan to create HTML monster stat blocks and tokens, and all the rest Im doing on my phone.

On my phone I am using hand outs and the gminfo area of tokens to write out the story and rough flow of expected events and slowly dragging map pieces from the art library to the map, resizing them with the manual drop down. And repeating ad nauseam since I cant copy and paste any of the objects with the phone.

And I have to ask, does anyone know of a better way? It looks like there used to be a lot of mobile 4e apps before 5e came out and the 4e ones vanished.
    Last edited by Verbannon; 2016-10-15 at 02:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Mobile Tools to help create a campaign

This is one of the many times you simply have to accept that a phone is no match for a computer.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sigh...A phone doesnt seem to do anything useful.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Verbannon View Post
    Sigh...A phone doesnt seem to do anything useful.
    It's a phone. That's useful.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScrivenerofDoom View Post
    It's a phone. That's useful.
    I mean outside of allowing my boss to text me with schedule changes. Which might actually be a con not a pro.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of the biggest limitations here is the restrictive, litigious game license 4e was published under, which prevents all sorts of tools from privately holding a database of 4e mechanics, combined with the lack of a publicly accessible developer API to pull any subset of data from Wizards.

This means no third-party monster creation/editing tools can be populated with WotC monsters, no third-party character builder can be populated with WotC spell/feat content.

Mobile versions of the 4e online tools were absolutely intended, but the (in hindsight, very poor) decision to implement them in Silverlight, all of 6 months before Silverlight development was discontinued, made porting them over more complicated than it would otherwise have been.

I've been kicking around the idea of making my own private 4e iOS apps, but it's a tremendous amount of work for a tool i'd legally not be allowed to share with anyone else ever.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Verbannon View Post
    I mean outside of allowing my boss to text me with schedule changes. Which might actually be a con not a pro.
    Hehe.... but work is good because it gives you the money to buy more D&D stuff. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    One of the biggest limitations here is the restrictive, litigious game license 4e was published under, which prevents all sorts of tools from privately holding a database of 4e mechanics, combined with the lack of a publicly accessible developer API to pull any subset of data from Wizards.

This means no third-party monster creation/editing tools can be populated with WotC monsters, no third-party character builder can be populated with WotC spell/feat content.

Mobile versions of the 4e online tools were absolutely intended, but the (in hindsight, very poor) decision to implement them in Silverlight, all of 6 months before Silverlight development was discontinued, made porting them over more complicated than it would otherwise have been.

I've been kicking around the idea of making my own private 4e iOS apps, but it's a tremendous amount of work for a tool i'd legally not be allowed to share with anyone else ever.
    You are absolutely right. Bad strategy coupled with salaries too low to attract anyone of any calibre led to this mess.

Anyway, I am grateful to the fans who got the CBLoader working, created Masterplan, and also create the offline Compendium. At least I still have all the tools even if I don't have a subscription any more.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I still have the subscription.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I got mine too.

While a phone isn't much help, I have great luck using a tablet. I took Sly Flourish's data and MM3's index card math, threw it together on this sheet. You could view it on a phone if you don't mind scrolling around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show