New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Evo Academy IC

1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Evo Academy IC

It felt good to be behind the wheel of the Evo Hummer as it leaped over obstacles with Lucy's team in the back. She'd thought she wouldn't get another opportunity make a daring escape with her friends, but this was probably the most happy Lucy had been about being wrong. She had a grin on her face as she maxed out the hummer and managed to get everyone back in good condition, even the theif. The fact that her freshly washed car was now certainly caked with dirt no longer bothered her.

When they arrived at the academy, Lucy stayed in her car for a moment by herself as the others focused on the wounded passenger and getting her the medical attention she needed. After everyone was gone, Lucy was only left with her thoughts. She realized that despite the stresses, dangers, and challenges of being on the active feild team, she'd hadnt felt like she belonged anywhere else. This was where she felt at home now, so why did she feel like running away? Lucy took a look at herself in the rear view mirror and noticed her glowing eyes were watering. Immediately feeling embarrassed, despite no one else being around, she wiped her potential tears out of existence. "No more tears. This is it. Get your **** together."

After gathering herself, Lucy headed to the breifing room and plopped herself into a chair while she waited for the others. She hadn't been on the mission, so her presence was mostly a formality at this point, but she was content to be included. Akemi soon joined her, grabbing the seat beside her. Lucy was feeling uncharacteristicly cheerful after her pep talk in the car. She turned and smiled at Akemi as soon as she sat, but the rest didn't come so easily. As she began to speak, she realized she didnt know what to say. It didn't seem right to carry on as if nothing had happened, but she also had no idea where to begin. She found her own feelings difficult enough to understand, let alone explain to someone. Lucy's mouth opened and closed a few times, but nothing was said. Instead she just gasped at air trying to find the right words. Finally, she stared down into her lap and sat on her hands. "I'm sorry. I just.... I was confused." Lucy nervously looked back at Akemi, desperately hoping she would understand without having heard a full explanation.
    Last edited by Yabex; 2017-06-28 at 02:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

"And I am happy that you are back," Akemi says, her smile less laid back than usual and instead more radiant. She would like to do and say a lot more, but has to restrain herself, a lot. Not right now, in front of the others.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

All - Subterrain Meeting Room

After everyone had a chance to clean and breath after the last mission, the active team finds themselves gathered once again in their meeting room. Their specific chairs have started to become comfortable, adjusting to their unique frames. The Headmaster is missing, but Ms. Amori is in his normal position.

"Well done team. You have brought us the thief, and we have successfully stabilized her. She is still unconscious, and once she awakens, we will be questioning her, and then delivering her to our partners in the justice community. Our partners will be very happy to have their prototypes retrieved, even in their current condition.

Now, it is late, so if there is anything you'd like to report now, do so. Otherwise, the Headmaster and I will review your reports in the morning. Additionally, mid-semester tests are coming up, and I know that some of you will want to study for them. We will hope that nothing happens that requires your attention, but as always, we don't get to choose when trouble strikes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

"How about a set of emergency codes? A lot can happen while one of us types out a text, a three number code would save time."
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Now, it is late, so if there is anything you'd like to report now, do so. Otherwise, the Headmaster and I will review your reports in the morning. Additionally, mid-semester tests are coming up, and I know that some of you will want to study for them. We will hope that nothing happens that requires your attention, but as always, we don't get to choose when trouble strikes."
    "In regards to reports: I was leading the pursuit once the thief went to the luggage car, and I failed to prevent suspicion on the part of the thief, the outbreak of violence, as well as panic on the part of the twins. As such, I take responsibility for the thief's injuries, any distress suffered by the twins, as well as the damage done to the prototypes, given they were constructed into armor and weaponry. Details will follow in my report." Akemi speaks matter of factly. Even though she couldn't have predicted all outcomes or controlled all circumstances, she'd rather sort any potential issues out right away. At the very least, she shows she wasn't entirely satisfied with the outcome and her own performance.

After a brief pause, the girl shows a smile. "On a lighter note, I do hope I won't be drowning in chocolate-y bribe attempts again with the tests coming up. I should probably make an announcement. Still, if you'd like help with preparing for the tests, give me a heads-up and I'll make time for a few study sessions."

Spoiler: Lucy
    Show
    Lucy also gets a message from Akemi. If you'd prefer something more one-on-one and private, I'd be happy to make that happen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    "How about a set of emergency codes? A lot can happen while one of us types out a text, a three number code would save time."
    "An emergency signal might be a good idea for specific situations, namely where we either know where everyone is, or where we are supposed to go to a specific place, or general states of alarm. In any other situation, we'd still need to get information about where the danger is, what the danger is, confirming it wasn't a false alarm etc. We can work out the specifics over the coming days. Good call."

Once the meeting ends, Akemi says "I'm going to bed. Good night, folks." She walks back to her room, accompanying Lucy part of the way, and where their ways split, Akemi hugs Lucy. "I'm really happy you're back. Sleep well."

Akemi will need some time to fully cool down, using that period to write up her report, followed by slipping into her nightie. A glimpse at the mirror shows a smile on her face, and she ends the day a lot happier than she started it.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-06-30 at 04:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

All - Subterrain Meeting Room

"We will look into some emergency codes. The Headmaster was, at one point, very interested in teaching named maneuvers to you students, but he was dissuaded when he tried to remember all the maneuvers he had created But perhaps it is time to revisit that idea." Ms. Amori nods at Akemi's explaination, shuffles some papers into a folder, and opens the door from the meeting room for the students to return to their beds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

"Alright, another successful mission of being awesome. Ladies, I will see you tomorrow, Sin it's good to have you back."
    malcolm leave the briefing room and returns to the dorm, wondering if the girls would be interested in a movie night...

8. - Top - End - #308

Lucy wasn't paying much attention to the debriefing. She figured anything important would come up again later. Instead, she stared blankly at her feet and waited to be dismissed. When Ms.Amori mentioned the mid semester tests, Lucy let out an audible groan. She'd forgotten all about them and didn't feel prepared. I guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

Lucy stood from her chair and streched her arms over her head as she unsuccessfully fought back a yawn. She was unable to respond to Malcom's comment properly, but tried to say "Thanks." anyway. It came out more like "Tanks", but she was fairly certain that her accompanying wave gesture made it clear what she meant. She did find it surprising to have Malcom welcoming her back. She'd half expected him to make a comment about her flaking out or not being able to take the stress. In fact, she often expected worse from Malcom. She watched him leave the room as she straightened her shirt. Maybe I've got him all wrong...

Lucy and Akemi walked back toward their rooms together. It was nice to be back hanging out with a friend. "Embarrassingly, I completely forgot about mid terms. I'm really behind in biology, think tomorrow we can cram a bit of studying in? I can pay you in candy and pizza. No cram session is complete without snacks." She was less concerned with studying and more interested in having some fun. Things were normally so quiet around mid terms and she hadn't really relaxed since the last movie night the pair had.
    Last edited by Yabex; 2017-07-04 at 12:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

The little exchange between Malcolm and Lucy does lead to a little smile, and somehow, she has the feeling that Ms. Amori is hiding one as well.

She chuckles when Lucy mentions payment. "Ah yes, compensation for my valuable services. No one I crammed with has failed their tests, I'll let you know," Akemi begins, leading up to a rather high price, given how many people want her to help them study. "Let's see, that'll be..." Letting Lucy squirm just a little bit, acting like she is quickly checking her current pricing patterns, vast and fiendishly complex.

"Nothing." Akemi only slowly lets a smile creep onto her lips. "Do keep it a secret between you and me, or I'll be hearing moaning about how I'm playing favorites with my best girl. Which, well, I am. Snacks sound good, though, I'll bring some, too."

10. - Top - End - #310

Lucy rolled her eyes and smiled. "Yeah, I'll be sure to keep it a secret from all those other people I hang out with." It wasn't a secret that Lucy didn't have many friends. Her stand offish yet timid nature made sure of that. "You know I'm a real gossip machine." She made a slightly awkward elbowing gesture as she spoke. Joking aside, Lucy continued. "I'm looking forward to it anyway, well about as much as one can look forward to studying. Thanks again, I know this can be a busy time for you so it's really awesome you can spare me some time. For what it's worth though, I'll keep my mouth shut. We'll get started tomorrow?"

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Akemi chuckles at Lucy's joke. "Yup, tomorrow. And now now, it's not like there aren't people who care about you. But I know you can keep secrets. It's what gives you your intriguing air of mystery." Akemi leaves it to Lucy to decide whether that was a joke or not. She certainly isn't giving many clues with her casual delivery. Having reached where they'll part ways for the night, Akemi pulls Lucy into a hug. "I'm looking forward to this as well. You'll see learning isn't so bad when it is done right and with a friend. Good night, Lucy. And thank you for coming back." Showing a smile, Akemi turns and heads to her room, gathers what she has learned about imparting information from her teachers (especially Ms. Irwing, who in her mind still very much is the best teacher she's ever had, despite already knowing all the material taught in class), then quickly falling asleep after the long day.

-------------

The next day, Akemi seems to be in a good, relaxed mood as she meets the others in the cafeteria, grabbing breakfast, which in Akemi's case is a bit from the cafeteria and some of her own creations. She has opted to wear her hair loose that day, along with a white sweatshirt looking like it was tailored for her (which it wasn't), short-ish red skirt and black tights. "Good morning. Slept well?" she says to Lucy and Malcolm as she is navigating towards the seat she has chosen today, looking a lot less stressed than most students seem to be right now with the tests coming up.

-------------

Once breakfast is over, there's a knock on Lucy's door. Akemi greets Lucy with a warm smile as the door opens. Notably, she doesn't seem to have any books with her, only her laptop and a tablet. "Ready to get started?"
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-07-06 at 03:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm is a vision of calm as he walks to his room, but as soon as the door closes he grabs every textbook he has and piles them ion the desk. He had forgot about mid terms! If he tanked they might not let him be on the team, and then he'd be stuck here all the time! He starts with the top book, no plan, no organization, and starts reading as fast as he can, trying to remember what the teachers had covered. He takes copious notes, perhaps more than he has to, until his room looks like a tornado hit an office supply store. Time passes, past midnight, and he's only half way through the heap of books, his notes a disorganized and mostly useless mess.

The next morning at breakfast, he shuffles into the cafeteria more dead than alive, seeking nourishment and caffeine. Hardship meant nothing, exhaustion was nothing to real pain, he would excel or he would die trying. As he pours coffee into a pitcher to take back to his room, he mumbles to himself, "You're the best...aroun...nothin...keep you down..."
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2017-07-07 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling errors drive me nuts

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

From somewhere, Akemi's voice drifts into Malcolm's tired mind, like a little angel whispering from his shoulder. "Remember to take breaks, sleep enough, do something other than studying once in a while, and don't panic, or all work and no play will make Malcolm a dull boy."

As funny as the scene is to Akemi, Malcolm is part of the team and a fellow student, so she does feel the need to gently nudge him into a more sensible direction, especially with his mind so open and vulnerable right now.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-07-07 at 12:44 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm waves his hand around his head as it batting away a fly, then takes his pitcher to a vending machine, buying a half dozen cans or Dr Pepper. He drinks alternately, pausing for breath and when the carbonation started to get to him. "Heat up..." He switches from coffee to soda. "Cool down. Heat up, cool down... There's got to be a better way to do this."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

"It might be a good idea to ask what you've been meaning to before you pass out," the voice suggests.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm hunches own slightly, eyes bugged out and looking around wildly. "...God?"
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2017-07-08 at 03:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like God is indeed a woman, and doesn't make a big deal out of it, nudging him further towards a divine epiphany. That and Akemi had little trouble finding a dead angle position. "An idea has been on your mind since the debrief, something you have been meaning to ask those who have fought by your side."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm stops and looks around again, this time at students. "Who is this?"

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

"Just a teammate skipping the awkward consideration and approach phase," God's voice coming from beside Malcolm, with Akemi just so happening to stand there and just far enough to not be accidentally hit by parts of Malcolm's body as he turns (and maybe starts). While he has his moment of bewilderment, Akemi eats another spoonful of greek yoghurt and berries from her bowl. "So, what's on your mind?" She has a good guess, but that's no way to make people comfortable and she already did a sufficient amount of shenanigans.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm very nearly jumps hard enough to spill hot coffee all over himself. "Gah! Ugh. If you must know I forgot to stuy for mid terms and now I have to cram, I was up all night and now I need caffeine to keep going."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

"How you are doing it right now is not going to lead to good retention of knowledge or test results, you know?" Akemi spoons in more yoghurt. "Can't help you today, but we can cram tomorrow. However, I do have a few demands." Another spoonful, letting Malcolm stew a little.

"One: you are not going to study more than six hours today, you are going to take every so often, and you are not to study during the two hours before you go to bed.
    Two: make a list of topics you especially need help with and give it to me by the end of today.
    Three: get a full night worth of sleep tonight. Drink a lot of water, no caffeine two to three hours prior to going to bed, no big meals either. No caffeine tomorrow."
    Another spoonful, somehow managing to make the act looking like she accepts no ifs or buts.

"Do that and I will make you able to pass the tests tomorrow. I need an awake, well-rested mind to work with, not a coffee-addled shambling corpse. I will know if you don't follow my demands, and if you don't, no help from me." Another spoonful. "Sound good?" she asks, with a relaxed smile.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm's eyes narrow, but he nods. "Your terms are acceptable."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

"Cool." Spoonful. "On a serious note, though, just don't stress out and get some rest. The list would be nice, but lacking that, I'll go over the most important stuff of all classes. We wouldn't be much of a team if I'd just let you fend for yourself when it comes to the tests." The spoon draws an invisible circle in the air when the team is mentioned, before returning to the yoghurt.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm sighs, his wings sagging. "I'm not even sure I remember what the teachers covered, this...um, this is the first actual school I've been to in a long time."

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, that explains a lot. In that case, don't worry, I'll get you through the tests, and if you want, I'll throw in some hints about how to study and take notes in class to save you nerves and a whole lot of time. Believe it or not, many people never really figure out either, despite going to school for over a decade and regardless of what grades they have. You'll get the hang of it." Akemi certainly makes it sound like there is nothing to worry about.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

"Wait, to take notes in class, I'd have to be awake in class wouldn't I?"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Akemi eats a spoonful. "That is indeed correct. You'll get the hang of it," she repeats sweetly. "A little effort goes a long way if you work smarter, not harder. And increases my willingness to cram with you again. Being a team also means I help you with your job, not do it for you." The spoon clatters in the bowl. "Ah well, breakfast's over. See you tomorrow." With a beautiful smile, Akemi leaves, heading over to Lucy's room to start studying with her.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm doesn't let himself watch her leave (it felt...wrong somehow) and goes back to drinking. No way he was sleeping now, might as well do what he can until tomorrow.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Lucy's cram session

Akemi doesn't immediately get into the studying phase, first getting comfortable and talking with Lucy. She also makes a point out of pushing her biology books away. "We won't need those. They're fine, but we're using something more effective." The transition into the study part happens gradually, Akemi sitting beside Lucy as they scroll through a list on the tablet with topics to get a bead on where Lucy needs help. The material they are going through is presented in a concise manner, with illustrations/diagrams gathered (and sometimes made) by Akemi, with bits of dry humor snuck in where Lucy least expects it. Akemi gently nudges her best friend towards her own little epiphanies along the way, so she doesn't just try to memorize things, but actually understands how things are connected and work, forming the basis for other knowledge. That and Akemi adds a few amusing anecdotes in which she plants little bits of knowledge as well. Every so often, they take breaks, just chatting, eating snacks, and during the final break briefly getting themselves reward slushies for when they are done. Once back, they go over the material again and the notes Lucy took with Akemi's guidance.

This is the most rewarding part, watching Lucy manage to recall and connect knowledge even after the extended break, the mixture of keeping Lucy's spirits up and having planted little mental hooks to help Lucy remember all throughout the session coming to fruition. Before the shy girl knows it, she has gotten through all material and looks down at notes written by her own hand with which she will quickly be able to refresh her memory each day in preparation for the tests (though the latter is more there to give Lucy a more secure feeling).

Akemi smiles happily, putting an arm around Lucy. "See? You can do it. You have everything you need, so don't worry about the tests or what result you may get. Just go in there, don't let yourself get stuck on a question or in your own head, and then put it behind you." Her voice drops into a conspiratory whisper. "Though I maaay have a reward if you do particularly well."

-------------

Malcolm's cram session

Malcolm hears a knock on his door the next day, Akemi's usual relaxed self standing on the other side. "Hey there, hope you slept well. Are you ready to begin?" Once Malcolm is ready, she asks if he minds her coming in. Once they are settled, Akemi puts some snacks and drinks ready for consumption and once again makes a point of pushing the various textbooks away. "We'll come to those later, briefly. Now, we have a lot of ground to cover, but don't worry, this won't be an all-nighter." She syncs her laptop up with Malcolm's smart devices (since they can handle his strength and electric aura). "Of course, don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for a break. I'm not here to torture you. I may at times delay an answer to a question or a break, but only when I feel it is important."

Teaching Malcolm is a very different matter compared to teaching Lucy, in topics they go over, personality, and depth. Thus, it makes for an excellent counterpart for what she did with Lucy. She combines with first topic with a little tutorial on how to take notes, intentionally geared towards only writing down what is actually necessary, giving Malcolm a few easy to remember and follow guidelines, practicing them with him, assuring him that it is normal to at first needing some time to get used to it. Then, bit by bit, they go the various topics, with breaks in between to eat, drink, and shoot the breeze (with movies ending up being a recurring topic, and a means to anchor some knowledge in Malcolm's mind). She monitors Malcolm's stress levels and motivation closely, sneaking in a bit of humor at times, as well as every so often using pop culture references in his wheelhouse to catch him off-guard and to connect some knowledge to them. She also focuses on visual aids more, as well as very practical, down-to-earth ways to explain subjects, at times giving very relatable examples to illustrate. Using the proper terms is ideal, but knowing what is behind them is more valuable as a first step, and many people do tend to let their attention wonder if confronted by many foreign words. She also every so often asks Malcolm to summarize his current understanding of a topic, which helps Akemi adjust the lesson and handle any existing or growing problems with understanding the topic, nudging Malcolm towards little epiphanies (just like with Lucy, as that sort of realization sticks the most).

It may still be a taxing day for Malcolm, but in the early evening, they are done with all topics, Malcolm, much like Lucy, looking at notes written by him to help him refresh his memories in the coming days, also briefly giving him some hints how to quickly draw relevant information from textbooks. "And with that, we are done. I can't cover everything of every class, but I feel we went over all the essentials and some extras. You did good, and I mean that, not in the condescending pat on the head kind of way." She gives a genuine smile. "Please go over your notes every so often. Don't spend a lot of time on them, do it while you are taking a break between workout sets, or having nothing else to do. You'll notice that they are pretty concise, so you'll get through them quick and these refreshers do wonders to make knowledge stick. Saves you loads of time when you start studying for tests, since most of the knowledge will already be in your head and just need a little nudge to wake up. More time to do something that's more fun to you. If something is unclear or questions come up in the coming days, don't hesitate to ask."

-------------

The day after the cram session with Malcolm, each member of the active team gets a mail from Akemi titled Stress relief involving lots of good guys, bad guys, and explosions

Hey team,

want to come together for a movie night? I'm feeling in the mood for an action marathon, so the kicks, gun shots, and explosions are fictional and entertaining for once. 7pm at the theater. I'm bringing drinks and snacks, but please do the same. My vote for one of the movie slots is going to John Wick. Part 2 as well if we have the time and you guys want to see it (which you should, at least at some point).

Akemi
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-07-11 at 02:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm tries his hardest to pay attention and keep up with Akemi, and she certainly does make it easier, but this is very much outside his wheelhouse. He does manage to make rude suggestive comments only twice, and does apologize after. But he does take in most of what she tries to tell him, an while he appreciates the breaks he's quite exhausted afterward, and collapses into bed. His phone wakes him up with Akemi's text about movie night, and he drags himself up to get showered and dressed.