New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,488 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Wonton View Post
    Q 485

a) Bardic Performance specifically mentions that "A bard cannot have more than one bardic performance in effect at one time." The Skald's Raging Song ability, however, does not. Is there any such restriction for Skalds?

b) Do Bardic Masterpieces count as Performances for the "one performance at a time" limit? Many seem very similar to performances (ongoing effects each round, expend bardic performance rounds, activated as Standard/Move/Swift depending on level), but don't seem to fall within that restriction.
    A 485

a) Unclear. We're told that "A raging song counts as the bard’s bardic performance special ability for any effect that affects bardic performances" but it's not stated whether the restriction of only having one performance at a time counts as an "effect" or not. Note, however, that the quoted text appears (in the Skald's performance) in the place where the restriction appears (in the bard's performance) as though it's replacing it, which I personally think suggests the writers considered it to come under the umbrella of the effects.

b) A masterpiece is not a performance, just an ability that happens to use up rounds of your bardic performance to activate. Thus you can activate them even if you already have a performance going, and vice versa can use a performance while you have a masterpiece (or even multiple masterpieces) going. However, if the masterpiece has a per-round cost (like Ancients' Flight) then you can't extend it as a free action if you have a performance active, or if you're extending another masterpiece in that manner already. This is because, while Masterpieces aren't technically bardic performances, the extending mechanic works "just as if it were any other use of bardic performance" and so if you try to extend the masterpieces you'll have to deal with the one-at-a-time restriction.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q486

A) http://aonprd.com/CavalierOrders.asp...0the%20Warrior <-- Can I actually use a free action to get the bonus on a Saving Throw? Free actions are heavily impled to be only for your turn.

B) http://www.aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.as...licable%20Luck <-- Can you add the bonus to a saving throw? I presume no, but can I tag it along another ability that's an Immediate action? (like Samurai's Resolve).

You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Spamalot in the Playground

A486a: The ability specifically lets you use it while making a saving throw, and specific trumps general.

A486b: The timing of this one is more ambiguous because it doesn't specifically mention saves. Amusingly though, it has no duration (you just have to use it sometime before the roll is made) so you can simply use it first thing in the morning and it will last until you make that save. But realistically I'd allow it to be used on saves as they happen too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 487

PF seems to work with full Psionic-Magic Transparency. Skills such as "Psicraft" and "Use Psionic Device" were removed, for example.

Is there any rule that allows or suggests adaptation of spellcasting Prestige Classes and Feats to their psionic counterpart?

5. - Top - End - #1475

Q 488

Does Signature Skill (Heal) work to remove the damage from burn?
    Last edited by TiaC; 2018-10-03 at 07:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A487: Unfortunately no. And those skills were not completely removed, they are mentioned for if you don't use transparency.

That said, it is very easy to transfer over. Keep in mind though, simple transfer may skew things. The psionics handbook doesn't fully use lateral transformations for matapsionic feats for example. Maximize is an example... It takes 3 spell slots to maximize a spell, but only 4 powerpoints. This accounts for the added cost of expending focus I believe.

So keep that in mind.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 489: Would Tracer Bullets shot at a target with Spell Resistance have to force a caster level check for the Fairie Fire spell contained on them to have an effect?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Orc in the Playground

Q490

Does All-Consuming Swing stack with the Cleaving Smash Weapon Trick to allow me to add both vital strike and improved vital strike damage to the first creature hit during a cleave attempt?
    Last edited by Boggartbae; 2018-10-07 at 02:34 AM.
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    I think I would agree with Boggartbae

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Q491: If a caster has Negative levels equal to or greater than its Caster Level (but still less than its HD), can they cast spells? Similarly, if the effective CL due to Negative Level is lower than the minimum caster level for a spell (Ex: CL 4 attempting to cast a 3rd level spell), could they cast that spell?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Q491: If a caster has Negative levels equal to or greater than its Caster Level (but still less than its HD), can they cast spells? Similarly, if the effective CL due to Negative Level is lower than the minimum caster level for a spell (Ex: CL 4 attempting to cast a 3rd level spell), could they cast that spell?
    A 491: I think it is important to quote the rule first.

The creature is also treated as one level lower for the purpose of level-dependent variables (such as spellcasting) for each negative level possessed. Spellcasters do not lose any prepared spells or slots as a result of negative levels.

This is the only raw on negative levels and spell casting and as a DM/GM myself who has just dealt with this yesterday I would rule like this:

First the RAW:

The ability to cast spells is not based on caster level but rather the ability score that drives the class (wizards = int, clerics = wis, and so on). As explained under wizard:

To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the wizard must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. You will notice this same verbiage with other magic casting classes as well.

If you are a level 5 wizard level 4 fighter (level 9 hd all total) and got slammed with 4 negative levels you would be at a level 1 caster level. Now with a level 5 wizard, with an effective caster level of 1, casts a fireball a few things are going to happen. Fireball will deal 1d6 total instead of 5d6. Because it is 1d6 per caster level. Should this fireball be cast against a target with spell resistance it is going to a caster level check of 1d20 + 1, instead of + 5.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

11. - Top - End - #1481

A488: Assuming by "burn" you mean the Kineticist ability, no. "This damage can’t be healed by any means other than getting a full night’s rest, which removes all burn and associated nonlethal damage. Nonlethal damage from burn can’t be reduced or redirected, and a kineticist incapable of taking nonlethal damage can’t accept burn."
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #1482

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A488: Assuming by "burn" you mean the Kineticist ability, no. "This damage can’t be healed by any means other than getting a full night’s rest, which removes all burn and associated nonlethal damage. Nonlethal damage from burn can’t be reduced or redirected, and a kineticist incapable of taking nonlethal damage can’t accept burn."
    I do mean that. I asked because the heal signature skill says "When you treat deadly wounds, the target recovers hit points and ability damage as if it had rested for a full day" which seems to be the same as "a full night’s rest".

13. - Top - End - #1483

"As if" means "it's not actually that" which in turn makes it "any other means" and thus disallowed. That's the by-the-book reading anyway.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    A 491: I think it is important to quote the rule first.

The creature is also treated as one level lower for the purpose of level-dependent variables (such as spellcasting) for each negative level possessed. Spellcasters do not lose any prepared spells or slots as a result of negative levels.

This is the only raw on negative levels and spell casting and as a DM/GM myself who has just dealt with this yesterday I would rule like this:

First the RAW:

The ability to cast spells is not based on caster level but rather the ability score that drives the class (wizards = int, clerics = wis, and so on). As explained under wizard:

To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the wizard must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. You will notice this same verbiage with other magic casting classes as well.

If you are a level 5 wizard level 4 fighter (level 9 hd all total) and got slammed with 4 negative levels you would be at a level 1 caster level. Now with a level 5 wizard, with an effective caster level of 1, casts a fireball a few things are going to happen. Fireball will deal 1d6 total instead of 5d6. Because it is 1d6 per caster level. Should this fireball be cast against a target with spell resistance it is going to a caster level check of 1d20 + 1, instead of + 5.
    I believe he is asking if said wizard had 5 negative levels thus attaining an effective cl of 0.

I recall reading somewhere minimum cl is 1. I forget where though and do not have the time for extensive research atm. If someone could confirm?

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    I believe he is asking if said wizard had 5 negative levels thus attaining an effective cl of 0.

I recall reading somewhere minimum cl is 1. I forget where though and do not have the time for extensive research atm. If someone could confirm?
    Sifting through PFSRD and looking through the forums yielded no results for me. By my reading you could have a CL of 0. Whether or not this prevents spell casting or simply means all variable effects related to CL are 0 depends on your reading of the following lines

Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD, Energy Drain and Negative Levels
    The creature is also treated as one level lower for the purpose of level-dependent variables (such as spellcasting) for each negative level possessed.
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD, Caster Level
    You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.
    I can see at least two possible interpretations. But the discussion is best left to separate thread.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 492

Regarding the Nightmare Dread's "Martial Terror" class feature

If both a Maneuver and a Terror allow for a Saving Throw, which takes place first, if any?

For example, initiating Ravaging Blow while channeling Overwhelming Fear, the order would be:

A) Target makes a Will save vs Ravaging Blow and then a Fort save vs Overwhelming Fear
    B) Target makes a Fort save vs Overwhelming Fear and then a Will save vs Ravaging Blow
    C) Target makes both saves at the same time, without any order of priority

17. - Top - End - #1487

Q493: Just making sure I understand Poison correctly. Let's say I get bitten by an Asp.

Bite—injury; save Fort DC 15; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Con; cure 2 consecutive saves. The save DC includes a +2 racial bonus.
    If I make my first save, am I unaffected and that's it? Or do I still have to save next round so that I made 2 consecutive saves?
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

18. - Top - End - #1488

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Q493: Just making sure I understand Poison correctly. Let's say I get bitten by an Asp.

If I make my first save, am I unaffected and that's it? Or do I still have to save next round so that I made 2 consecutive saves?
    A493
    A save made at the moment of application determines whether you did or did not get poisoned. If you pass the save, you were not poisoned, and so you do not need to make further saves and you take no poison damage. If you fail the save at the moment of application, you are poisoned, and need to meet the "cure condition" in order to stop the poison early (you can always just wait it out or use magic).

Failing the save at the moment of application does not mean you take damage, it just means you really were afflicted; you must then make a new save (at the original DC, or higher if you have stacks of that poison) each time the poison's frequency comes up (after the onset time, if applicable). Most creatures have injury poisons, which generally have no onset time and a 1/round frequency, so if you did get poisoned, you would make another save at the end of your turn to determine whether you take that poison's damage.

So, for your question: no, you do not need to make 2 saves to avoid being poisoned in the first place. Succeeding on the first save means the poison had no effect on you from *that* application. If you were fighting 3 asps and made 2 of 3 saves, you would only get one "stack" of poison, not three. You would then roll a new Fort save at the original DC (because you only have 1 stack) at the end of your turn to see if you take the Str samage. Passing *this* save twice would cure all stacks of asp poison you have, no matter when they were applied.

There is a very good example given for all this in the D20PFSRD.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2018-10-13 at 01:34 PM.