New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Lazylord: what to use extra loot on?

We all know and love/hate the Lazylord: the build that can pride itself on never attacking (or at least never wanting to hit). As a result, they don't have to invest in a weapon.

However, the system still assumes every PC will be constantly upgrading three pieces of equipment (NAD-booster, armor, weapon). What is the best thing for a Lazylord to do with the extra GP he's got as a result of this?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lazylord: what to use extra loot on?

There are weapons and implements with daily and per-encounter powers that are pretty awesome.

Holy symbols are often used for this because they are slotless; but if you have a hand free, any implement or weapon can be used for this.

On the other hand, there is a weapon that grants a bonus to all attacks you grant, so maybe your hand is taken. :) And many warlord lazylord attacks are weapon based. So maybe you are reduced to a collection of holy symbols.

On the other hand, having another body on the field generating OAs on foes moving around has value. It costs one feat (melee training) and a weapon to be reasonably effective at this. Not great, but of value.

If you can somehow get movement disruption in there (knock prone, slow or immobalize) it becomes extremely valuable. One of the shaman's spirits basically just do that (OA to stop movement) and it has pretty high value.

This violates the lazylord rule, but failing to treat yourself as a weapon is also a tactical error. ;)

There are a pile of useful magic items you can equip. Often players are forced to use far lower level magic items, as their budget it kept on their AC NAD and ATK bonuses; you can grab them earlier. Sadly, most of the best ones are +damage per-hit and extra basic attacks, which you don't want to bother with.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    What is the best thing for a Lazylord to do with the extra GP he's got as a result of this?
    Utility items. I've got a really old guide about that.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Battle Standard of Healing: small but free healz.
    Battle Standard of Vanguard: defense
    Battle Standard of Stalwart: attack boost

I know you're not looking for weapons, but these don't require attacking:

Communal Weapon: a stack of +1 to rolls

Chieftain's Weapon: your allies are more accurate

Captain's Weapon (rare): Instant Warlord in a can, er enchantment

Battlemaster's Weapon: power recovery

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Utility items are definitely the way to go.

Beyond that, there are a few little things you can do to improve defenses relatively inexpensively. A lazy build with one free hand can take a parrying dagger of the mage for +1 untyped AC. A build with a shield (or a shield bonus) can off-hand a rhythm blade dagger. That kind of thing.

You could also spend your money on items that interact between characters. For example, you could buy your team a set of shared, bonded or teamstrike tattoos.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, Golden Crown of Battle Command (I think it's called- doing this off the top of my head) in Paragon- very nice bonus to granted attacks.

7. - Top - End - #7

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Also, Golden Crown of Battle Command (I think it's called- doing this off the top of my head) in Paragon- very nice bonus to granted attacks.
    Another great head item that's available for significantly cheaper is the Helm of Heroes. As a daily item power it's not quite as good for general use, but changing a granted basic attack to a granted standard action can be absolutely absurd (depending on your allies, of course).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    On the other hand, having another body on the field generating OAs on foes moving around has value. It costs one feat (melee training) and a weapon to be reasonably effective at this. Not great, but of value....This violates the lazylord rule, but failing to treat yourself as a weapon is also a tactical error.
    Bracers of mental might: they allow you to do precisely these things once/encounter at the low cost of an inexpensive magic item.
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    Bracers of mental might: they allow you to do precisely these things once/encounter at the low cost of an inexpensive magic item.
    Bracers of Mental Might are also great to pair with Hail of Steel.