New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Rest in Piece Group 2 - IC Part 1

Day 1, Jeninburg town entrance

Everyone had, for one reason or another, visited the capital of Eisenmarke one week ago, and everyone heard the queen's proclamation of reward for activities and information against the slavers the rumored undead. The four of you decided to form a group to tackle this task, and have spent the week's worth of travel time getting to know each other. Even if there is not yet friendship or true trust, the basic foundations are there, enough to at least work as a team. Now, the group reaches the main gates to the small town of Jeninburg, home to about a thousand people. The group hopes to gather information about local threats, and ventures through to search for someone to converse with. However, storefronts, restaurants, and just about everything else seems to be closed or in-manned at the moment. No one is seen walking the streets. From a cursory glance, a foreign visitor would be forgiven for doubting the population estimates. What is going on? Not long after, the group sees a pair of young women walking towards them. The taller individual sports short, orange-red hair and multiple scars across the left half of her face, marring what is otherwise quite the beauty. She wears a sturdy-looking breastplate and sensible pants. A shield is strapped across her back. The shorter woman has long, silky black hair going down to nearly her waist, very light skin, and many tattoos on her body. The blue dress this woman wears seems designed to show off her tattoos, blending aesthetics and function. Both women have weapons, although none are drawn.

Suddenly a bell rings loudly, coming from the direction of the center of town. The two women do not seem concerned about the bell as they are still walking toward the main gates.

Spoiler: Taller woman
    Show

Spoiler: Shorter woman
    Show

Spoiler: Knowledge local
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 10
    Show
    While the taller woman could be a local, the shorter woman is almost certainly not. She is of Tian ethnicity.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Spoiler: DC15
    Show
    The shorter woman's loose sleeves and tattoos also serve to hide the horrible-lookin, blackened hands and forearms.

Spoiler: DC20
    Show
    What appear to be small necklace worn by both women at first glance may actually be a (un)holy symbol. It is too difficult to figure out what deity the symbol is of, at this distance and with only a cursory examination.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rest in Piece Group 2 - IC Part 1

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    local (1d20+2)[6]
    perception (1d20+13)[33]

Beorn Grimm has been reserved most of the journey, though has spoken of the area from his experience on past travels in the militia and as an agent of the Queen's justice. He is pointedly silent on personal matters however. His imposing form discourages pressing the matter.

"I have seen graveyards with more joy than this town. That is not promising..." Spotting the approaching women and catching glimpse of their adornment, he raises a hand in greeting. Either fellow servants or malignant foes, either way best to acknowledge them and find out which. "Greetings. It is good to see someone out and about."

Spoiler
    Show
    detect evil on whichever comes in range first
    Last edited by stack; 2017-05-31 at 08:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Tatyana Lysander proved to be an outgoing and fairly cheerful lass, even if some of her compatriots tended to the more stoic side. During the journey, she would frequently joke, and occasionally flirt with her new companions, of both genders. She'd set out from Eisenmarke with a spring in her step, eager for her shot at some heroics.

As they enter Jeninburg, the swashbuckler looks around. "No kidding," she says to her new inquisitorial companion. "Something about this doesn't feel right," she says, her hand going to the elaborately decorated, gilded hilt of her rapier at her left hip. Then, she spots the two approaching figures, and relaxes... just slightly. She eyes up the approaching women. A warrioress, and what looks like some form of spellcaster, she thinks to herself.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Knowledge: Local (1d20+4)[9]
    Perception (1d20+8)[9]
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Akeline

Contrary to Beorn, Akeline had done anything but stay quiet; although she couldn't share many of her own experiences, she reveled in hearing others', and would sit to chat with any of her companions as time and willingness allowed. "These poor people have had the hope taken from them. With luck, and the grace of the gods, we will be the ones to help bring it back, yes? As she spoke, her attention quickly turned to the oncomers, just like the others...

Unlike the others, however, her attention was on a different part of them. Quickly rushing towards the woman with the scarred hands, she gasped, "Oh you poor dear! Does it hurt, have you seen a healer? Can we help?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Got 19 on Perception, Local auto-succeeds based on bonus.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Warpriest trudges tirelessly along with the rest of the party, his stubby limbs moving at a steady pace for hours on end, even in full plate. Over the week since they met up he has spoken eagerly about the call to fight the slavers, although not so much the undead. Not that he's a big fan of ambulatory skeletons or anything, but the rough scars around his wrists and neck that are visible when he takes off his armor for the night speak volumes, even if he hadn't mentioned first thing that he used to be a slave, and has a personal crusade going on to take out every last one of the bastards. An intense individual, to say the least.

Even with his compatriots calling out that something is odd, he just idly slows, his lucerne hammer held casually at right-shoulder arms. "What's this then? Everyone else holed up? We're not here to hurt anyone, we promise. The others don't have to hide."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The pair of women start to respond to the greetings with salutations of their own. "May your troubles be tempora...ahh!". However, she is interrupted when the psychic rushes forward, ahead of her more heavily armored allies and straight to the strangers. The shorter woman backs up a bit. "You're...rather forward, aren't you? But, thank you for your concern. Yes, it hurts. No, healers have not been able to help. But it's fine. Pain and suffering is fleeting. Things will be better in the end."

The taller woman gestures towards the center of town, where the bell is ringing loudly. "The entire town has gathered for the funerals. If you wish to pay your respects like we have, you should hurry. Just earlier today, raiders came and performed a blitzkrieg attack. They took many healthy people, including many young women, and killed those that were too sick to make good slaves. Then, they made their escape before the militia could mount a counterattack. Despite our best efforts at healing, dozens lost their lives today. At least they suffer no more...". She eyes betray a flash of hatred as she relays the events.

Spoiler: Beorn
    Show
    Beorn does not detect any evil in the area

Spoiler: Akeline
    Show
    You may roll perception again. If you get 20 or more, you can then roll knowledge religion.
    Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    Spoiler: DC20
    Show
    You believe this is a holy symbol of a god worshipped in Tian.

Spoiler: DC25
    Show
    The name escapes you, but the symbol is similar to, although not the same as a Tian god of enlightenment and self-perfection.

Spoiler: DC35
    Show
    The symbol probably represents a particular aspect or perhaps offshoot of the main religion.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dalmir audibly grinds his teeth, his grip tightening on his weapon. He aggressively moves it into both hands, then winces and puts it back on his shoulder. He coughs, looking a little sheepish. Then he looks angry again. "Slavers." It is clearly a deadly curse coming from him. "Oh, they'll pay. With their lives. Nobody gets away with that, nobody." He nods towards the center of town. "I guess the proper thing is to honor the dead, quick-like. We're here so this sort of thing doesn't go unavenged. Any idea where they ran off to? We'll ask the rest of the town of course, but you two seem more action-focused than the rest." He clearly means that as a compliment.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Just earlier today?" Tatyana says, stepping forward. "How many of them were there, and which way did they go? We may yet have a chance to pursue them!" Her heart starts hammering behind her ample bosoms, and her face flushes as adrenaline courses through her veins. She looks around for any obvious signs of their passing, clearly ready to dash off at the drop of a hat.

Show

Perception: (1d20+8)[13]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn approaches as the conversation continues. He strokes his beard, looking in the indicated direction. "I may be able to help follow them. Best not to linger; the best respect to pay those murdered is to bring justice to their killers."
    Spoiler: know religion
    Show
    (1d20+10)[13]

(If we follow the tracks, take 10 for 21 if that finds anything)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Akeline

The woman frowned sadly at the response she was given, taking a step back in response to the pair's attitude towards her. "Oh... I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it heals well, at least; the pain of burns cannot be a comfortable feeling." What else was there to do, other than respect their wishes?

She turned her attention elsewhere. She had to.

Seeing that the Inquisitor had already started his attempts to seek out the raiders, the woman closed her eyes for a moment and tried to bring to mind a spell that could help him. Instead of that, all she gained was a measure of frustration - which she pushed to the side as she responded to his comments. "The best respect to the fallen is to do both. The trail won't be lost with five minutes that it wouldn't already have been in a few hours."

Show

Spell Recollection failed.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2017-06-03 at 12:50 AM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The woman with the blackened arms smiles. "It...likely won't heal, but I've learned to deal with it. Thank you for your concern." She turns to the agitated swashbuckler. "I was too busy healing the wounded in the back to see where they went. you should go talk to members of the militia and other survivors. They're at the funeral and can likely provide you with more details."

The taller woman checks a time piece. "I hope you find those monsters and slay them. Come on, Cherie, we should get going." With that, both women walk off, out of town.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 1, shortly after Noon, Jeninburg - main square

The party walks on, and eventually start seeing other people. Many are wearing black in mourning. At the main square of the town, the signs of battle still haven't been completely cleaned up yet. There are still blood stains and some debris, but larger obstruction have been cleared to make way for the funeral procession. There are many, many caskets. Some are open, with people paying their respects. Others are closed and being taken to the nearby graveyard, which is also attached to a temple of Pharasma. People here look wary and tired.

Some people are obvious militia guards, trying to keep order.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

At her friend Akaline's words, Tatyana relaxes, slightly. "I suppose you are right, as usual, love," She says, and follows the rest. "We can see those brave souls who gave their lives to protect this place off. They are our brothers in arms, after all."

-------

During the ceremony, Tatyana respectfully removes her fabulous, wide-brimmed feathered hat, bowing her head as the honored dead are laid in the ground. She's lost track of how many friends and comrades she's lost, either to the Brek raiders or to the growing undead scourge.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn crosses to one of the guards, giving him a nod. "Bad business this. Just arrived with some others here and heard the news. We may be able to lend a hand. Know anything about the attackers?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dalmir stands behind Beorn, nodding. "Yeah, rough times. If you can point out where the bastards went, we've got some experienced Slaver-hunters among us. Always glad to get back anyone taken."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Akeline

With nothing to say, the red-haired woman goes to pay her respects.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

A short, stiocky guard studies the group, and deciding that they aren't troublemakers, features to the east. "This time there wer at least a dozen men each on dire wolves. They charged in through the east gate, and you'd think this would be easy to track, but somehow once they move into the forest their tracks all but disappear. Maybe it's magic. Of course, we can't spare our most experienced men as we desperately need them for defense right now, but just for ONCE I'd love to have a fight on our terms."

The half-elf guard nearby points to a few wagons. "I still say we should try to spare enough men to stage an ambush. We know the raiders also like hitting traders and merchants. A caravan would be a perfect lure, if we can spare the men." She looks at the group. "Hmm, I suppose some of you could pass as caravan guards. How good be you with your weapons?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"Good enough, I'll wager. Might be worth seeing if I can find a track or not, but the fake caravan plan ain't a bad one if I can't." Beorn gives the man a nod of respect.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

"Did you say they were riding Dire Wolves?" Tatyana says. "That sounds like an odd choice for a mount..." She considers if there are any bands she knows of that use such creatures as their mounts.
    Spoiler: Dice
    Show

Knowledge: Local (1d20+4)[12]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Akeline

"Not just uncommon, but rather a vicious beast to ride, whomever tamed them must be quite talented - if just as cruel." Akeline looks over at Tatyana and furrows her brow, thinking about what she might be able to recall as well.

Show

Local as well: (1d20+14)[16]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: local
    Show
    (1d20+2)[12] not real likely but may as well roll...meh
    Last edited by stack; 2017-06-06 at 09:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dalmir pats the large Lucerne Hammer held casually over one shoulder. "Yup, I'd say I'm a fair hand at fighting. And I like the idea of giving these raiders a taste of their own medicine. Sign me up."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The half elf points to a well-dressed dwarf who looks like he's barely holding it together within the graveyard proper. "I think the best bet is to coordinate with Gravish Goldhammer. He makes regular caravan runs between various villages locally. It's so sad. First his wife and children became weak and sick with disease. Gravish had meant to come pay for magical healing here at the temple, but the raiders came and ended their lives first. You may wish to wait just a little until the service for his family is over. If you wish to look for tracks, now is a good time as any."

The human guard gets a bit angry. "I'm sure it's those Brek bastards! Those orcs are KNOWN to tame dire wolves for pets and mounts! If only we didn't have a GUTLESS monarch who refuses to send the army to punish those responsible..."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn dismisses himself quietly to begin searching for tracks. (take 10 for 21, then 20 for 31 if 10 finds nothing useful, unless the service ends first)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Warpriest grunts in acknowledgement. "Well, I guess I'll wait out the service, then talk to the poor man." He settles down in as unobtrusive of a place as he can, to just observe until the time is right to approach.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The inquisitor does indeed find some tracks leading out of the town gates. A quick search confirms that the tracks seemingly disappear not far past the edge of the forest. A more thorough search begins to reveal some well-hidden tracks. However, the service ends before Beorn can finish his search.

The rest of the party watches the service conclude.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Beorn is unable to finish taking 20 in time. He did find some tracks but he may not have the whole story unless he comes back and finishes the search later.

Everyone else: make a perception check. Beorn doesn't get one because he had just returned.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2017-06-07 at 02:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn returns. "With a bit more time I think I could follow the trail, won't be fast though."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Tatyana shrugs. "Will be faster than trying to pursue them without a lead, or waiting for them to attack again. Unless someone can think of a reason not to go, I say we take the shot." Placing her hat back on her head, she adjusts it to have a daring angle. "I, for one, am eager to even the scales."

Show

Perception: (1d20+8)[21]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dalmir watches the service, his face stony. Depending on their level of theistic vigor, he either listens intently or has to prevent himself from rolling his eyes. Not a lot of holiness going on in this region, so no point in pretending the gods give a damn about them. Maybe the 'hungry' gods who want to eat souls or something. But certainly no celestial ones.

Spoiler
    Show
    I got a 4! I notice NOTHING!
    Last edited by ManWithDoor; 2017-06-09 at 11:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Akeline

After the service finished, Akeline takes her time offering consolation to those who are most visibly effected by their current events. She does, however, make her way towards the exit - just at a somewhat slowed pace. There were places to be.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Initiative!

Dalmir: (1d20+5)[24]
    Tatyana: (1d20+8)[20]
    Beorn: (1d20+8)[20]
    Akeline: (1d20+5)[13]

EDIT: Oops, I was supposed to post this in OOC thread...
    Last edited by Frosty; 2017-06-10 at 02:31 AM.