New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default How would Camouflage Netting interact with a Bear Trap?

I was looking around for a relatively cheap way to make it harder to see a mass of bear traps and saw camouflage netting, so I was wondering what sort of rules interaction would take place between a trap with a set Perception DC and the camouflage netting which lets a Survival check substitute for the object's Stealth check.

Seems a bit more complicated than simple RAW, so here we are.

Also, any other suggestions for how to make bear traps, caltrops, pools of mundane oil, areas of ball bearings, and other similar hazards less obvious would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: How would Camouflage Netting interact with a Bear Trap?

There are actually rules for making custom traps, check 'em out on the SRD here under "Designing a trap"

Sounds like what you want is basically a CR 1 "12 bear-traps trap" but with a higher perception DC. The rules state you can up the DC to as much as 29 for a +2 to the trap or to DC 30 for a +3. By these rules, the cost of this is entirely dependent on the end CR of the trap. A CR 1 trap has a base cost of 1000 GP, though there is a caveat that a cheap to make trap should be cheaper with the example of a CR 1 pit trap being as little 250 gp. Personally I find a that extortionate for a hole in the ground but RAW is RAW. If we assume you can make the case that 250gp for your basic trap, a DC 29 "12 camouflaged bear-traps trap" would be 750gp or an even 1000gp for the DC 30. If you're will to spend 1,000gp on this trap I'd suggest you're better off staying at perception DC 29 and upping the reflex save DC to 25 though.

That all said, if I were DM and one of my PCs wanted to set a 2gp bear trap under a 20gp camouflage net, I'd bump the perception check DC by a flat +4 with the understanding the net will be destroyed when the trap goes off. A PC should be very happy with that unless they can reliably roll 35 or higher on survival check. But if they can I doubt a bear-trap is their best option!

As for other ways, you could get a permanent invisibility cast on your bear trap (5000gp plus spell casting costs) but how that affects the perception DC is unclear though it would arguably increase it by +40...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: How would Camouflage Netting interact with a Bear Trap?

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledFrog View Post
    There are actually rules for making custom traps, check 'em out on the SRD here under "Designing a trap"

Sounds like what you want is basically a CR 1 "12 bear-traps trap" but with a higher perception DC. The rules state you can up the DC to as much as 29 for a +2 to the trap or to DC 30 for a +3. By these rules, the cost of this is entirely dependent on the end CR of the trap. A CR 1 trap has a base cost of 1000 GP, though there is a caveat that a cheap to make trap should be cheaper with the example of a CR 1 pit trap being as little 250 gp. Personally I find a that extortionate for a hole in the ground but RAW is RAW. If we assume you can make the case that 250gp for your basic trap, a DC 29 "12 camouflaged bear-traps trap" would be 750gp or an even 1000gp for the DC 30. If you're will to spend 1,000gp on this trap I'd suggest you're better off staying at perception DC 29 and upping the reflex save DC to 25 though.

That all said, if I were DM and one of my PCs wanted to set a 2gp bear trap under a 20gp camouflage net, I'd bump the perception check DC by a flat +4 with the understanding the net will be destroyed when the trap goes off. A PC should be very happy with that unless they can reliably roll 35 or higher on survival check. But if they can I doubt a bear-trap is their best option!

As for other ways, you could get a permanent invisibility cast on your bear trap (5000gp plus spell casting costs) but how that affects the perception DC is unclear though it would arguably increase it by +40...
    250 gp versus 24 gp is really no contest, when it comes to bear traps, and the individual ones can be positioned more fluidly instead of in a cluster.

A +4 seems pretty fair to me. Maybe more than.

Heh, Once I get some made of special materials, then I'll look into that invisibility idea. That is a nice one. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide