New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Fionavar Tapestry: Should I Read That?

As in the title, I heard for the first time of the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy. Is it good? Worth reading?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fionavar Tapestry: Should I Read That?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    As in the title, I heard for the first time of the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy. Is it good? Worth reading?
    Take it as a single point of reference, but it bored me to tears. I believe I managed to force myself to read the first two, but I gave up somewhere in the last one - first time I ever dropped a fantasy trilogy, in fact.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If you really like the writings of Guy Gavriel Kay, and you've already read every other book he's ever written (or at least every other book that made it to your local library), then sure. Otherwise read The Lions of Al-Rasan, or The Last Light of the Sun, or River of Stars, or Tigana.

Heck, GGK himself basically described it as him purging the Tolkien influence after being heavily involved with The Silmarillion, so that he could go on to write other works. It reads like that, and his later works are much better.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Fionavar Tapestry is OK, but I found the defeat of the Big Bad at the end incredibly unsatisfying and the Tolkien influences lie heavy on it. If you want to read a GGK novel, I would recommend Tigana instead, it's a much better read and uses a more Italian mythical background than the usual Northern European one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Fionavar Tapestry is OK, but I found the defeat of the Big Bad at the end incredibly unsatisfying and the Tolkien influences lie heavy on it. If you want to read a GGK novel, I would recommend Tigana instead, it's a much better read and uses a more Italian mythical background than the usual Northern European one.
    GGK in general shies away from the sort of generic Northern European mythical backgrounds. There are some specific ones, with A Song for Arbonne being basically 13th-14th century France and The Last Light of the Sun being 11th centuryish Scandinavia, but the specific cultures really shine through without the generic medieval background.