New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Self-Forged (Prestige Class)

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    currently around level 2 of this prc you have both hands changed in to battle fist with out your opinion and this means bye bye somatic components aka by bye your old casting and hello worlds first useless muscle mage in 5th edition congratulations you made impossible build possible by two level of your prc.
    Actually, no. I changed it, because it does make some sense you would only have one battlefist since it's relatively clumsy:

Body Modification - Battlefist: You replace one of your arms with a mechanical arm constructed from metals, stones, and wood fibres. The Battlefist is incapable of fine manipulation, but you can hold other items with it. Your unarmed strike damage with the battlefist increases to 1d4. You can have up to one battlefist.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Actually, no. I changed it, because it does make some sense you would only have one battlefist since it's relatively clumsy:
    okay,so do we still gonna add chest modifications or leg modifications like lightning generator for chest which allow us to use shocking grasp with out spending spell slot( or spending for additional damage via fist(like chidori from Naruto)) or some sort of built in jet pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

okay,so do we still gonna add chest modifications or leg modifications like lightning generator for chest which allow us to use shocking grasp with out spending spell slot( or spending for additional damage via fist(like chidori from Naruto)) or some sort of built in jet pack.
    yeah, of course, I'm working on them, it's just taking a while as I've got my hands full with all sorts of things right now. I'll add them eventually though.

Please do drop any ideas you come up with into this thread and I'll transcribe them for further consistency.

Currently I'm thinking that the body modification slots - in addition to Battlefist - could be face, torso, and both legs (unlike arms, legs are not used for as much as hands, so both legs could probably be modified more easily)
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-09 at 03:28 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I made a massive overhaul when I ported the prestige class to Homebrewery. Check out the OP for the link. Please, let me know what you think. Also, any design and schematic ideas for Hydraulic Boosters and Heuristic Processor are more than welcome.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is awesome, I really want to try this out, a gnome wizard Self-Forged would be so much fun, or just a crazy wizard, oh yay so many possibilities, so much fun

How exactly do the designs interact with each other, cause certain ones seem to be incompatible with each other, and how much do schematics cost?
    Last edited by Llama513; 2016-12-21 at 08:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Llama513 View Post
    This is awesome, I really want to try this out, a gnome wizard Self-Forged would be so much fun, or just a crazy wizard, oh yay so many possibilities, so much fun

How exactly do the designs interact with each other, cause certain ones seem to be incompatible with each other, and how much do schematics cost?
    I'll have to re-write the restriction, but designs are mutually exclusive. Each design replace the other per constructed part. For example, if you re-design your Battlefist into Runic Arm-Cannon, it can't be a Battle Claw at the same time.

Each schematic is tied to specific designs. Some of them can be applied to multiple designs in multiple constructed parts (such as Storage).
    For example, if you keep Battlefist as it is by default, you can't apply the Runic Blast schematic, since it requires a Runic Arm-Cannon to function. Likewise, you must have Jet Pack design before you can add Retractable Wings schematic.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

7. - Top - End - #37

Okay, that makes sense, as for designs for the Processor and Legs,

You could give darkvision, a magnifying lens, and a telescope as options,

The legs to could allow for climbing at full speed with ice hooks, ignore difficult terrain, feet bend to fit the terrain, swim speed, little propellers

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I haven't figured out the prices of each schematic yet, but I think that they could depend on the minimum level required for each schematic. For example if you wanted the Retractable Wings schematic, you'd have to be at fifth level, since it modifies a design of your torso, which you get at 5th level.

Maybe the costs could follow a relatively simple formula:

Minimum self-forged level required for the constructed part x minimum spell slot level used for the schematic's ability (minimum 1, obviously) x 100 gp.

A Storage for Battlefist (min. Level 1):
    1 x 1 x 100 = 100 gp.
    A Storage for Legs (min. Level 2):
    2 x 1 x 100 = 200 gp.
    A Storage for Head (min. Level 3):
    ...wait, that doesn't make sense (lol)
    A Storage for Torso (min. Level 5):
    5 x 1 x 100 = 500 gp.

Retractable Wings (min. Level 5):
    5 x 3 x 100 = 1500 gp.

Since you have to pay the cost every time you apply a schematic, I would think that you would have to think carefully if and when you change them - especially with the wings :P

Btw, hydraulic booster is only a project name, if someone can come up with a cooler name, I'm all ears.
    Also, I think Heuristic Processor could make more sense as a schematic for a constructed head part (cranial inset?)

Likewise, I'm trying to decide what should I call the constructed part of torso. Torso just feels so... contrived, while otherwise accurate. Dorsal would refer to back while ventral would refer to front/belly, so I guess I'll go with those separately (Jet Pack would be dorsal design, for example)
    Maybe thoracic brace for the reinforcement of torso?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-22 at 12:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

So what I'm seeing is you will eventually be the million gold man, cue theme song

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

So what I'm seeing is you will eventually be the million gold man, cue theme song
    I will say cyborg from dc or smalest case jax from mortal kombat.
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

11. - Top - End - #41

Your probably closer with those two

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

@arkhios cant read retacable wings mate

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

@arkhios cant read retacable wings mate
    Should work now. Check it out :)
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I will say cyborg from dc or smalest case jax from mortal kombat.
    Can't tell if that's a good thing or not...? Anyway, a wizard has to pay for copying spells to his book, so it's not that different. Might even have to pay for the scrolls if he can't find them. The cost covers the materials required for the application.

What's more important is that I haven't set the prices in stone yet. If you think lower prices would be more reasonable, I'll change it. I just thought that since you actually construct something into your body, you'd have to provide the materials, and good materials ain't cheap.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-22 at 04:18 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

I say we fuse all modifications in to single ability instead of three different know you have this permanent modification for rest of your adventuring career and looks like we can use improved trusters schematics for jet pack were we use our normal speed( main improvement ), and greater one to get flight at double of our land speed

and here is my build for the prc link
    Last edited by khadgar567; 2016-12-22 at 05:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I say we fuse all modifications in to single ability instead of three different know you have this permanent modification for rest of your adventuring career and looks like we can use improved trusters schematics for jet pack were we use our normal speed( main improvement ), and greater one to get flight at double of our land speed

and here is my build for the prc link
    I would much rather you didn't copy paste my homebrew so shamelessly. I appreciate your help, but if you intend to make your own iteration, then do it yourself from the start for decency.

What you've done is you've basically hijacked the homebrew. You could've asked if it was ok before you do that, you know.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-22 at 05:49 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

I would much rather you didn't copy paste my homebrew so shamelessly. I appreciate your help, but if you intend to make your own iteration, then do it yourself from the start for decency.

What you've done is you've basically hijacked the homebrew. You could've asked if it was ok before you do that, you know.
    I am sorry Arkhios but currently our homebrews are lot of different between each other but still sorry for using your words.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I am sorry Arkhios but currently our homebrews are lot of different between each other but still sorry for using your words.
    That's exactly why I got upset about it. You broke a "copyright" by doing that without my knowledge. That's just rude. Technically it's not illegal because I don't have a formal copyright, but it's still rather questionable.

I'm ok with you borrowing what I've made and making your own build out of it, but what I'm not ok with, is that you did that without asking me first.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-22 at 05:57 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

That's exactly why I got upset about it. You broke a "copyright" by doing that without my knowledge. That's just rude. Technically it's not illegal because I don't have a formal copyright, but it's still rather questionable.

I'm ok with you borrowing what I've made and making your own build out of it, but what I'm not ok with, is that you did that without asking me first.
    lets legalese this problem can I use your work Arkhios( even this is bit late know).

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

lets legalese this problem can I use your work Arkhios( even this is bit late know).
    Honestly, I'm not so sure about it. I suppose you can borrow what I've made, but if you use something to the letter, I would appreciate if credit is due where it belongs; just... don't claim the entire document as a co-work project.
    Especially I mean the designs and schematics you copied. Those were largely my own invention, except for Rocket Fist which was a friend's idea.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-22 at 06:18 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

How does "proficiency with critical hits" work, khadgar567?
    The White Sorcerer

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

idea is since you understand humanoid body much better than normally you know how to deal more damage.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

idea is since you understand humanoid body much better than normally you know how to deal more damage.
    I believe he would want to know what it really does. "Proficiency with critical hits" is really not a thing defined within the rules. If you wish to create a new mechanic, you have to explain what it does. Or, if you wish to use an existing mechanic, you have to refer to the exact mechanic, preferably using the wording as it is.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I believe he would want to know what it really does. "Proficiency with critical hits" is really not a thing defined within the rules. If you wish to create a new mechanic, you have to explain what it does. Or, if you wish to use an existing mechanic, you have to refer to the exact mechanic, preferably using the wording as it is.
    then I need help with the wording for it.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

then I need help with the wording for it.
    If you want help for your own self-forged iteration, I would suggest you make your own thread for it. I'd prefer this thread remain solely for discussion of my version of the Prestige Class, not yours, if you don't mind.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-22 at 08:10 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

If you want help for your own self-forged iteration, I would suggest you make your own thread for it. I'd prefer this thread remain solely for discussion of my version of the Prestige Class, not yours, if you don't mind.
    no problem

27. - Top - End - #57

Can't tell if that's a good thing or not...? Anyway, a wizard has to pay for copying spells to his book, so it's not that different. Might even have to pay for the scrolls if he can't find them. The cost covers the materials required for the application.

What's more important is that I haven't set the prices in stone yet. If you think lower prices would be more reasonable, I'll change it. I just thought that since you actually construct something into your body, you'd have to provide the materials, and good materials ain't cheap.
    Its a good thing, it means that we get to make really awesome characters, and deciding on the cost of the schematics is probably going to be the toughest part of designing the class, but I think what you should do is look at the price of magic items and compare the ability granted by the schematic to magic items, and use that to get a range for cost, what I would do is cut the cost of the schematics in half, based on the magic item rarity it corresponds with, as you are building the schematic yourself, the gold cost being made up for in time. That or treat them like spells being copied into a wizards spell book, 50gp per spell level and 2 hours per spell level to build, the difficulty would be in deciding what spell level the schematic would be equivalent to
    Last edited by Llama513; 2016-12-23 at 12:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Its a good thing, it means that we get to make really awesome characters, and deciding on the cost of the schematics is probably going to be the toughest part of designing the class, but I think what you should do is look at the price of magic items and compare the ability granted by the schematic to magic items, and use that to get a range for cost, what I would do is cut the cost of the schematics in half, based on the magic item rarity it corresponds with, as you are building the schematic yourself, the gold cost being made up for in time. That or treat them like spells being copied into a wizards spell book, 50gp per spell level and 2 hours per spell level to build, the difficulty would be in deciding what spell level the schematic would be equivalent to
    Not saying that I wouldn't change the prices, just felt I need to explain why I thought Schematics would cost something instead of being readily available :)

The core of the prestige class is that you gradually become more machine than a living creature (but still remain as one, more or less), hence the four levels for the big ones (battlefist, cranial inset, hydraulic legs, and changes to torso) which every self-forged get.

Then, you get to re-purpose those base features with the designs you get access to.

That's pretty much it.

Then, you can (but note: you don't have to) modify your designs with a bit of money and time invested in materials and construction.

Just like a wizard learns spells when they level up, and can learn more when the find, purchase, or exchange with other wizards' scrolls and spellbooks.
    Edit: actually, just had a thought that maybe I should make it possible to learn more designs through study and research (though in that case you would only learn one design of your choice each time you level up).

Which leads me to a change a friend of mine proposed: instead of paying for schematics every time you replace one, you only pay once for the schematic and add it to a book (a spellbook suffices). But in return, changing a schematic and possibly even the designs takes longer, maybe full 24 hours (including long rest) for the designs, and a few hours for schematics (maybe as part of a long rest downtime activities). Point being that you're not stuck with your first choices for the rest of your career.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-23 at 09:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

I like that system, it makes sense, you store the other designs in your lab, and swap them out when needed

30. - Top - End - #60

So with the artificer class that just came out I was re-looking through the self forged, because who wouldn't want to play a self-forged artificer, and I noticed something horrifying, because the requirement is that you have to be proficient in Arcana, you could go self-forged as a barbarian or fighter, not sure if you meant to have this as a possibility but it is there, if you didn't mean for this to be an option I would add the requirement of being able to cast 2nd or 3rd level spells, if you are fine with having those options that's all cool. Just thought I would point that out