New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Fall of the Four Nations

"Should we stop the caravan here and deal with the potential ambush ourselves? We wouldn't want to risk anyone getting injured, especially not the horses." Willow glanced around at the wagons and their drivers. "Maybe someone should stay here too, or at least nearby. Just in case there are more creatures in waiting."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

"Leave the caravan undefended gives the contacts a chance to bypass our flanks and attack the wagons directly," Tenet says simply. "Tactical suggestion is to advance further. If contacts show hostility, then we engage."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: OOC: Randal
    Show
    You squint your eyes looking ahead for danger. Given directions by Arriane, you can spot movement from whatever is hiding ahead, but you can't make out more than that.

"I have to agree with Willow." Alin explains to the group with a quivering fear in his voice. "I'd rather not put my team in danger. Moving ahead now would be needless danger, I'd say. Staying here while you check the situation out would be a lot safer for me, my people, and the caravan. Besides, that's what you folks are here for, no? You are here to risk your lives so that we don't need to." Alin points a shaking finger down the road in an attempt to take charge and give the order to investigate.

Idra departs from the second wagon to join Adri in the third wagon. The looks of fear on their faces announce that they want nothing to do with a battle, but they will be willing to fight for each other if the need absolutely arises.

Meanwhile, Harsk simply picks up a crossbow, briskly loads a bolt into it, and intentionally awaits instructions from anyone that is not Alin. His crisp movement is evidence to military training that is suddenly taking over right now.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Arianne shrugs and says, "Fair enough. Willow, stay here and protect the caravan, since you can probably get stuff from there." With that, she dismounts the first carriage and walks forwards cautiously, on edge for fear of a storm of arrows and bolts.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

"I give you cover then." Randal announces, takes Arianne's place in front car, bow ready.
    The only way of properly dealing with me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanil View Post
    I'm just going to increase the CR of every encounter by one for every terrible pun.
    Thanks Ceika for this great avatar!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Tenet makes a grinding, metallic sound that might constitute the warforged equivalent of a sigh, and climbs down from the carriage as well, drawing his greatsword once his feet touch the ground.

7. - Top - End - #37

Willow nods in reply to Arianne's suggestion. She lags behind the gunslinger and warforged but still makes her way down the road a short distance. Far enough to reach the potential ambush with her magic, but keeping the caravan in reach as well should more danger appear behind them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Willow is moving 25 feet down the road. I think it was mentioned there was 50 feet of distance between the caravan and the ambush, so that puts me 25 feet away from both. I can only attack within 30 feet, so this way I can hit both areas if need be and am close enough to move in to assist wherever I'm needed.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

A pair of green, gangly creatures that stand barely over three feet tall leap out of their hiding positions on either side of the road. "Attack!" one of them yells in a high-pitched, gurgled war-cry. The two creatures release arrows from their bows aimed for Arianne and Tenet.

Show

First Goblin Bow vs. Arianne's AC (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage if hit: (1d4)[1]

Second Goblin Bow vs. Tenet's AC (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage if hit: (1d4)[1]

These goblins are 20 feet away from Arianne and Tenet, and 50 away feet from the first wagon.

Goblins turns complete, Players turns begin.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Randal stays on his place to be sure that there is no one coming from the rear without being noticed. Without further ado, he strikes up a loud, improvised mockery song on the Goblins, trying to instill courage in his companions:

"Green and clumsy, rarely bright; lose their battles where they fight.
    Getting stabbed and getting cleaved, Goblins eat what others leave!
    Bones be cracked, blood be sprayed, they are goblins! They get flayed!"

Show

Mechanics:
    Standard action: Starting bard song, inspire courage.
    All allies gain +1 morale bonus on saving throws against fear, attack rolls and weapon damage rolls.
    Move action: Perception to see if there are more in the hiding, see OOC please.
    Last edited by Blinkbear; 2016-12-14 at 03:35 PM.
    I'm just going to increase the CR of every encounter by one for every terrible pun.

10. - Top - End - #40

Noting that only two goblins are in sight, Willow slowly beings to close the distance between herself and the caravan. The situation bothered her. This doesn't seem right. No way that two lone goblins think they can take our caravan. Confident that Arianne and Tenet could handle the goblins, Willow shifted her attention to Randal. "Keep your eyes peeled. I guarantee there are more." She turned to the crew of the caravan. "If your not keen to fight, I suggest you get into the wagons and stay down. We will tell you when it's safe." Willow bent her knees slightly and readied herself to react to a second ambush attempt.

Show
    Willow is using a move action to return to the caravan and then readying an action to cast a ray at the next goblin that shows it self within her range.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Tenet advances towards the goblins slowly, sword drawn and ready to parry, the paladin waiting for an opportune moment to strike.

"The Flame comes for you," the warforged states simply.

Show
    Tenet moves his full 20ft towards the closest goblin, and then takes the total defence action, putting him at AC 22 until his next turn.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Arianne sighs and says, as she snaps her short-sword around to knock an arrow out of the air, "Nice try. Thanks for playing." She levels her pistol at the one closest to her as she moves forwards and fires.

Show
    Move to within 20 ft. of the leading goblin, fire my pistol.

Attack: (1d20+5)[9] vs. Touch
    Damage: (1d8)[3]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Arianne's shot misses the closest goblin and hits a tree several yards behind it. The goblin takes aim and returns fire.

Randal and Willow search the area behind the wagons for more enemies, but do not locate any from that direction.

The second goblin seems to take personal offense to Randal's song, and takes aim to fire upon him, yelling ""Yah? Yoo ugley too!"

Another goblinoid voice comes from farther behind these two goblins, but this voice is broader and more militaristic than the other goblins. "Kill the warforged, you fools! It can't get close!"

Upon receiving these orders, another set of goblins come out of hiding from farther behind the first pair and fire their bows at Tenet.

Show
    The first pair of goblins are 50 feet from the first wagon and are on opposite sides of the road from each other. The second pair of goblins are 20 feet behind the first and are also on opposite sides of the road from each other. The voice of a larger goblin giving orders is hidden somewhere behind the second pair of goblins.

Goblin Bow vs. Arianne: (1d20+4)[19]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

Goblin Bow vs. Randal: (1d20+4)[7]
    Damage: (1d4)[2]

Goblin Bow vs. Tenet: (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]

Goblin Bow vs. Tenet: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Tenet sees the moment, and barrels toward the nearest goblin, bringing his zweihander down on it in a great arc.

"YES! TRY AND KILL ME!" he bellows, intent on trying to draw the goblins' ill-disciplined fire upon himself.

Show
    Full-round action to charge with a power attack.

Attack: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage:(2d6+6)[4][6](10)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Arianne swears as the arrow sinks into her arm, efforts to dodge failing. She shakes her head and grits her teeth through the pain as she pops another cartridge into the muzzle of her gun with practiced ease and fires again, a furious fire in her eyes.

Show
    Move action to reload.

Fire my pistol again:
    (1d20+5)[15]
    (1d8)[4]
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2016-12-16 at 10:05 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Randal aims at one of the goblins who is not engaged in melee and tries to hurt it with an arrow. While doing so, he continues his mocking song.

Show

Standard action: Fire arrow at goblin who is not engaged in melee. Attack - (1d20+3)[19] for Damage - (1d6+1)[3]. In case of a nat 20, the Cofirmation roll - (1d20+3)[14] for Extra Damage - (2d6+2)[7].
    Move action: Perception check for further enemies. (1d20+4)[21]
    Last edited by Blinkbear; 2016-12-15 at 09:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Hearing more goblins emerge from farther down the road, Willow swiftly ran over to help her comrades. When she knew she was close enough and had a good angle, Willow thrust her hand forward and shot a ray of fire at the same goblin who had attacked Arianne.

Show
    Move action 30ft down the road. That should mean I can target either of the first two goblins with my 30ft ray. Ranged Touch Attack (1d20+2)[3] Fire Damage (1d6+3)[7]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Tenet advances and effortlessly decapitates one of the two closest goblins. The pathetic creature looks up in terror at the massive blade carves through its flesh.

The second goblin falls to the simultaneously combined fire from the ranged weapons of Arianne and Randal. It's death is further reinforced by Willow's blast of fiery magic onto its corpse.

Randal squints his eyes in search of more goblins, and spots yet a third wave of enemies another twenty feet behind the second wave. This third wave has two more goblins, one on either side of the road again, and a taller, thicker, orange-skinned goblin adjacent to one of the other goblins, and appears to be giving orders to the smaller goblins.

Noticing that he has been spotted, the larger goblin issues the command for the third wave to engage, and picks up his own bow to join the fight. The third wave of goblins fire upon Tenet, as their leader instructed. The undisciplined goblins in the second wave, under the panic of watching the first wave get cleaved and shot down, decide to return fire on Willow, who unleashed the brightest, flashiest assault against their now-dead cousins.

Show
    The two closest goblins are 70 feet from the wagon, or 20 feet away from Tenet. Another wave is 90 feet from the wagon, or 40 feet from Tenet. There is also a hobgoblin among the third wave, standing adjacent to one of the goblins and is bellowing orders.

Goblin Bow vs. Willow: (1d20+4)[7]

Goblin Bow vs. Willow: (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]

Goblin Bow vs. Tenet: (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]

Goblin Bow vs. Tenet: (1d20+4)[6]

Hobgoblin Bow vs Tenet: (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage: (1d8)[6]
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2016-12-16 at 12:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

"Amateur," Tenet intones as arrows hit the dirt around him. The warforged rolls his shoulders once, and surges towards the next goblin with a burst of violent motion, his greatsword arcing upward.

Show
    Another charge with power attack! Tenet's AC is once again 16.
    Damage: (2d6+6)[13]

20. - Top - End - #50

Willow narrowly manages to avoid being impaled by an arrow aimed at her chest. She turned her body to the side in an attempt to make herself smaller, but the shot still managed to gash her arm. She let out a small gasp. It was more from suprise and frustration than pain. Willow decided it wasn't a good idea to be standing in the open, so she sprinted over to one of the rocks the slain goblins had been hiding behind and took cover. After a moment she leaned around the side of the rock and tried to catch the goblin that shot her in the face with another ray of flame.

Show
    Move action to hide behind the rocks for concealment. Standard action ranged touch attack (1d20+2)[7] damage (1d6+3)[7]

I'll roll over a 5 one of these days! Lol

Last edited by Yabex; 2016-12-16 at 04:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Randal quickly informs everyone about the positions of further sighted enemies, applying the typical staccato used in the Brelish military, just to continue his song immediately afterwards. Then, he aims at the hobgoblin, and releases an arrow; quickly checking whether there were any further goblins anywhere, especially coming from behind the caravan. As much as he wanted to approach the goblins to get a better shot, he had a bad feeling leaving the caravan.

Show

Free actions: Speak, maintain inspire courage.
    Standard action: Attack with shortbow; range is 60 ft, so one range increment to attack the hobgoblin. Att - (1d20+1)[15] for dmg - (1d6+1)[4]; should this come up as a natural 20, the crit conf - (1d20+1)[7] and the extra dmg - (2d6+2)[9].
    Move action: perception - (1d20+4)[6].
    Last edited by Blinkbear; 2016-12-16 at 04:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Arianne grins as she spots the leader and rushes forwards through an opening, hoping to destroy the goblin's morale by slaying their leader, short blade flashing in an arc as she charges forwards.

Show
    Charge the Hobgoblin for +2 Attack/-2 AC, attack with Shortsword.

(1d20+3)[11]
    [/roll]1d6+2[/roll]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Another goblin quickly falls to the might of Tenet's powerful swing. One of the remaining two goblins is struck by the arrow of Randal and shrieks in a torrent of pain. The other goblin ducks in order to dodge a fiery blast directed at it by Willow.

The hobgoblin welcomes the direct engagement from Arianne. With a grin, the creature snaps a large, round metal shield up and deflects her attack. He then barks a direct order at the two surviving goblins, "Engage this fool! Strike her down!"

The injured goblin is too busy screaming in terror at the blood he has just coughed up into his hands, but the uninjured goblin obeys its leader and moves to surround Arianne, draws a very small blade, and attacks in unison with the hobgoblin.

Show
    Two goblins (one very injured) and the hobgoblin remain. The hobgoblin and the uninjured goblin are flanking Arianne at melee range.

The hobgoblin is 90 from the wagon / 20 from Tenet.
    Arianne is 85 from the wagon / 15 from Tenet.
    The flanking goblin is 80 from the wagon / 10 from Tenet.

Hobgoblin Long Sword vs Arianne: (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8]

Goblin Short Sword vs. Arianne: (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

Badly injured goblin Will Save vs. DC 12 Fear: (1d20-1)[17]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

"Rush north!" Tenet yells to the others above the din, the warforged combat-shorthand coming instinctively as he charges the hobgoblin, the paladin's blade keening through the air as it comes down.

Show
    Oh look, another charge with power attack! Tenet's AC is once again 16 for the round.
    Damage: (2d6+6)[15]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Randal

"You guys stay here and keep your head down! When someone approaches the caravan, you call, understood?" He instructs the members of the caravans and then storms forward.

Not wanting to risk to hit his companion, he aims at the already injured goblin, continuing his song.

Show

Free action: Speak and keep up inspire courage.
    Move action: Move 30ft.
    Standard action: Fire arrow at injured goblin.
    Attack - (1d20+3)[19] for Damage - (1d6+1)[2] (if that comes up as natural 20; Confirmation - (1d20+3)[22] for Extra Damage - (2d6+2)[12])
    Last edited by Blinkbear; 2016-12-17 at 11:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Arianne parries the smaller goblin's blade, but leaves herself open to the hob, whose blade cuts a deep slash across her belly. Her face goes white as her hand closes to the injury, blood seeping out of the deep gash in between her fingers as she grits her teeth, undying willpower allowing her to reload her pistol in preparation for one final shot.

Show
    Arianne goes to -2 HP, activating Never Stop Shooting.

Use my move action to reload my pistol.

27. - Top - End - #57

Willow ducks back behind the rock after missing with her second spell in a row. "Damn" She muttered to herself. Peeking out again to assess the situation, Willow spotted Arianne get caught across her stomach by a flanking goblin. With out even thinking about her last failed attempts, Willow confidently and angerly fired another ray. This time the target was the flanking goblin.

Show
    I am curently at the rocks where thr first goblins were. That was 50 feet away from the caravan, and the flanking goblin is listed as 80 feet from the caravan, so I should be able to hit him with a ray and maintain my cover. If not, Willow will just move out a bit to get within range.

Ranged Touch Attack with -4 for shooting into melee AND, for the first time, I've remembered the +1 bonus from Randal. Screw my past luck, I'm saving Arianne! (1d20-1)[15] Damage (1d6+4)[8]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Deciding that Arianne is no longer an immediate threat, the hobgoblin switches its attention to Tenet. Raising its shield once again, the hobgoblin easily deflects Tenet's attack- or so it had thought. The force behind Tenet's attack cracked into the hobgoblin's shield so hard that it snapped the hobgoblin's arm. With an audibly wet crack, the creature's arm goes limp.

With a wicked and painful grin, the hobgoblin ignores its disabled shield arm, and arcs its sword at the warforged.

The injured goblin debates whether or not to flee, but its thoughts are caught short when an arrow fired by Randal finishes its life.

Harsk acknowledges Randal's orders, and keeps a weary eye out for more hostiles in the area behind and to the side of the caravan. The twins and Alin are still hiding inside the rear wagon.

Realizing that Arianne is not yet dead, the uninjured goblin raises a small, crude blade and moves to slit her throat. A cackling laugh quickly turns into painful screaming as the creature burns to a cinder at the command of Willow's magic. The goblin's corpse drops in a flaming heap directly next to Arianne.

Show
    The hobgoblin is now heavily wounded.

Hobgoblin Longsword vs. Tenet: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[10]
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2016-12-18 at 03:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Randal rushes further, continuing his song. Then, he puts an arrow on the bowstring, and calls over to the hobgoblin:

"Ey, you, pumpkin-face. See how you're excuses of subordinates were slain? Chokin' on their own stinkin' blood or burnt to ashes. You will find that they had the gentler death. That thing of steel in fronta you will just hack you into many little pieces. Go on, hold up your petty little shield, you really think that will stop it? Mate, that thing has seen war, you're not the first soul it's going to eat. you better start prayin' that it'll make it quick."

Show

Free action: keep up inspire courage
    Move action: Move 30ft.
    Standard action: Try to demoralize opponent with intimidate.
    intimidate - (1d20+5)[18]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Arianne grits her teeth as she shoves the barrel of her gun into the hobgoblin's stomach and pulls the trigger, in obvious pain as she collapses at the recoil.

Show
    Fire Pistol at the Hob, doing a standard action drops me to -3 and puts me into dying. Spending a Grit to activate Focused Aim, adding my Cha Mod to pistol damage. 2/3 Grit.

(1d20+5)[22]
    (1d8+3)[6]