New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,492 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread IV: Time to Create a New Title

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Best way to get rid of Zealous? (Thought I'd just convert to the near 100% majority of the Empire when taking the throne, but noooooo.)
    FWIW, doing the non-crazy version of the observatory event chain (learning focus) always gives you cynical. Which is stupid, but whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    FWIW, doing the non-crazy version of the observatory event chain (learning focus) always gives you cynical. Which is stupid, but whatever.
    It's a 50% chance, and it only applies to Christians or Muslims. And at the end of the event you can choose to burn your work and lose Cynical or gain Zealous 100% (unless you're Buddhist or Zunist).
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

My first time being Pagan after the Odin-Pope Guy called for everyone to come out of hiding, so now the Holy Roman Empire is Germanic and it's a whole new game for me, heh.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ettin in the Playground

Hooooooly crap.

Okay, I've been playing Zoroastrians in the Abbasid Caliphate for a while now. I've mostly gotten it down to an art. Your early game is avoiding pushing the emperor's dislike of you below -40. And since you're both foreign and heathen, that puts you at about -25 already, with about +7 from state diplomacy and prestige, leaving you a very narrow margin of error. If you get a zealous caliph, you're basically screwed as he'll revoke you out of anything higher than counties. If you manage to form a kingdom (and the start I pick is pretty close if you don't screw things up), you're safe! Getting too far in the negatives could result in the caliph revoking your duchies, but he won't revoke your kingdom title so you'll still have the land.

Or at least, that's what I thought, because the AI threw me an absolutely unprecedented play. Like I haven't seen anything like it in nearly 1000 hours in any game ever.

Caliph had, for a while, owned a single county in my de jure kingdom. He finally decided to pass it on to me. Since I had religious control mandate, I immediately revoked the sunni city to give it to a loyal Zoroastrian. This, apparently, drove the Caliph absolutely livid, as before I could replace it he's like. GIVE IT TO ME NOW. So I did, because I only had half his troop power - not yet ready to declare independence.

That wasn't enough. He steadily revoked me of every single county and duchy I possessed - not the kingdom title, but everything else. Even as he moved vassals in my dejure kingdom back under my rule.

Every single county. And I was doing pretty well for myself, too - early dragon amulet meant I ran out of places to spend money without buying up new cities or building universities everywhere.

And since this was an Ironman, i couldn't even go back to a previous save. I am upset. Had a good game running there.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #1475

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    It's a 50% chance, and it only applies to Christians or Muslims. And at the end of the event you can choose to burn your work and lose Cynical or gain Zealous 100% (unless you're Buddhist or Zunist).
    Hmm, that's a change. I'm sure it used to be 100% back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

My first time being Pagan after the Odin-Pope Guy called for everyone to come out of hiding, so now the Holy Roman Empire is Germanic and it's a whole new game for me, heh.
    That was annoying. There was a Germanic Great Holy War on when I switched, so I joined. However, the warscore was at -50% because there were no Germanic realms when it started (thanks to me) and the one army the Odinpope had was immediately creamed. So I spent a lot of time trying to find armies that would give me any appreciable warscore after capping occupation at 100% and still having 50% to go.

Would suckering the AI by withdrawing to near its captured capital and pouncing on its liberating army have worked better?

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing I appreciate in EU4 is that opinion modifiers will go down incrementally. It's kind of jarring parking your diplo councilperson on your liege and having +420 opinion modifier at the beginning of the year but it will ALL disappear in six months because you haven't hit the random thing for a while.

On the plus side, 500 grace a pop for chinese artifacts is great. They'll never give you doubles, and each one is worth considerable amount of opinion when you gift it to someone.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2019-02-05 at 02:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ettin in the Playground

Grr. One of the provinces I need to become Sayoshant is in the hands of the western protectorate. Dunno how to manage that...

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ogre in the Playground

Anything useful I can do as the Odinpope? I assume call a Great Holy War when the timer's up. Anything else? If I ascend to the leadership of the Hel cult too does the world end?

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anything useful I can do as the Odinpope? I assume call a Great Holy War when the timer's up. Anything else? If I ascend to the leadership of the Hel cult too does the world end?
    If you picked ancestor veneration, you could appoint odinsaints (though I think it is currently bugged such that you would never be able to make former odinpopes into odinsaints).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

CK2 birthday sale on at the Paradox store, 75% of basically everything except Holy Fory (which is 33% off) - if you wanna get anything, or pursuade anyone into playing, while it's on sale now is a good time.

(A quick calculation indicates that all the expansions bar Holy Fury (not including any of the music or content packs, just the expansions themselves) comes to about Ł35.)

(Also, page 50, should'nt we have a new thread? No time to do it myself now, else I would.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-02-14 at 11:23 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    CK2 birthday sale on at the Paradox store, 75% of basically everything except Holy Fory (which is 33% off) - if you wanna get anything, or pursuade anyone into playing, while it's on sale now is a good time.
    Man, and I just got around to buying Jade Dragon on the Steam New Year's Sale. Maybe I'll finally pick up Charlemagne .. I'm basically completely apathetic about every feature in it aside from custom kingdom/empire creation.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh, I'm still mad at Paradox over Holy Fury. They took my favorite mod (Shattered World) and stuck it behind a paywall
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

14. - Top - End - #1484

It is annoying that Shattered World didn't get updated after Holy Fury. As I understand it, Paradox would not even have cared if shattered world had continued. And it would have been nice to have the "everyone is a 1 county count" option available for free. But, Holy Fury is currently available for $13.33, which is pretty good as far as it goes.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just went and bought a bunch of expansions for 30 bucks instead of 100. I wont complain.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #1486

PirateCaptain

The perfect gift for Valentine's Day!

Roses are red
    Hops are useful in brewership
    Marry me, my darling
    And gain half of my stewardship

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So I was playing more of my Ironman Habsburg game last night, now on 3rd successor to the starting character. So it's nearly 1100, I started in 1066 as Werner Habsburg, Count of Basel. He lasted 31 years, joined the hermetic society, then got involved in a bad lab heist on some bishop Hamelin guy. Werner died in the dungeons.

Next character was Ida, Werner's daughter, who lasted a year, before contracting plague and dying. Her Liege, a duke, made her Marshal, will she has only 6 martial, but 21 from council-people. Not before her court physician, named Hartmann trained out some stuff to help her. She got disfigured, but still died. The Black Death showed up. It covers currently all of Great Britain, France, Spain, North Africa, Egypt, the Holy Roman Empire, Is in Norway/Sweden/Denmark, Can't see anything past the HRE area, so I don't know how far it goes. outside that area, in some Persian place (I think) there is a lesser disease thing.

So, then it was Arnulf, who made it through 2 months. Then died, I think of plague.

My current ruler is Hemma, Granddaughter to Werner, and she is also 9. Her heir was her own 7 year old Aunt, but Auntie died. Oh, and Werner's 2nd(I think) wife, a Jimena named Teresa, died of plague, but outlived Werner a bit.

A wonder how things will go further, given that I turned on more plagues and epdenmics, but I figured it would be cool. I had to use options in the Intrigue section to get some people to hold council positions. And, had built a hospital, which will need improvements. And, still haven't managed to get any additional titles, despite trying to suck up to the Kaiser, who has survived, as the starting one from 1066. And am serving the duke of Transjuira.

I was thinking of starting up a game make a "Edmund Blackadder" character, perhaps starting in the Viking Era, because, I thought it would be funny to have Edmund being a Viking that isn't that good. We'll see.
    Last edited by russdm; 2019-02-14 at 03:21 PM.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    So I was playing more of my Ironman Habsburg game last night, now on 3rd successor to the starting character. So it's nearly 1100, I started in 1066 as Werner Habsburg, Count of Basel. He lasted 31 years, joined the hermetic society, then got involved in a bad lab heist on some bishop Hamelin guy. Werner died in the dungeons.

Next character was Ida, Werner's daughter, who lasted a year, before contracting plague and dying. Her Liege, a duke, made her Marshal, will she has only 6 martial, but 21 from council-people. Not before her court physician, named Hartmann trained out some stuff to help her. She got disfigured, but still died. The Black Death showed up. It covers currently all of Great Britain, France, Spain, North Africa, Egypt, the Holy Roman Empire, Is in Norway/Sweden/Denmark, Can't see anything past the HRE area, so I don't know how far it goes. outside that area, in some Persian place (I think) there is a lesser disease thing.

So, then it was Arnulf, who made it through 2 months. Then died, I think of plague.

My current ruler is Hemma, Granddaughter to Werner, and she is also 9. Her heir was her own 7 year old Aunt, but Auntie died. Oh, and Werner's wife, a Jimena named Teresa, died of plague, but outlived Werner a bit.

A wonder how things will go further, given that I turned on more plagues and epdenmics, but I figured it would be cool. I had to use options in the Intrigue section to get some people to hold council positions. And, had built a hospital, which will need improvements. And, still haven't managed to get any additional titles, despite trying to suck up to the Kaiser, who has survived, as the starting one from 1066. And am serving the duke of Transjuira.

I was thinking of starting up a game make a "Edmund Blackadder" character, perhaps starting in the Viking Era, because, I thought it would be funny to have Edmund being a Viking that isn't that good. We'll see.
    You could make him a Saxon or something I guess. A Blackadder who isn't British is just... wrong.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #1489

I thought we had decided on a title for the next thread. Anybody remember what it was?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Personally, I think "Fury of the Holy Kitten" sounds good.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

21. - Top - End - #1491

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I re-nominate "Umayyad Bro" from the last title suggestions, because it is far too hilarious not to be used at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Umayyad bro sounds good to me. I'm not great with names, maybe something can be made from the Fifth Crusade.
    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Put me down as another vote for Crusader Kings II Thread V: Umayyad Bro?
    I think this was the most popular option, but I may be wrong (our conversation at the time was a litttle unfocused ad not everybody bolds their nominated titles properly).

22. - Top - End - #1492

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I think this was the most popular option, but I may be wrong (our conversation at the time was a litttle unfocused ad not everybody bolds their nominated titles properly).
    Eh, close enough. Behold: Crusader Kings II Thread V: Umayad Bro! Please take discussion thence.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2019-02-14 at 06:05 PM.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.