New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GMR 18 (No more new GMR!)

Spoiler: to Celts
    Show
    None of my melee units can scratch him but he's only sent two units of modern infantry at me so far. The Great Wall is slowing them down.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

Turn timer has been reduced to 24 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #363

We bring further glad news.

The siege of Salavador has ended. Brazillian lands yet again fly free over the city, instead of having to hide in the underground to avoid Celtish retaliation.

And the siege of Mecca begins. Soon the Arabians will know the same boons the Celtish people do. The Venician people will be driven back, never to harm the Arabians again.

This we so swear.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Ugh. You know, it's more my current job situation than anything going on in this game, but the reason I just missed a turn right now is I just can't muster the enthusiasm to keep playing Civ at the moment. 16 ended well and at a good time but I think I'm going to declare gg on this one and surrender next time my turn comes up. I've got plans and things I could do here, but actually putting forth the effort of playing them out is just...beyond me right now. Sorry guys.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #365

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Ugh. You know, it's more my current job situation than anything going on in this game, but the reason I just missed a turn right now is I just can't muster the enthusiasm to keep playing Civ at the moment. 16 ended well and at a good time but I think I'm going to declare gg on this one and surrender next time my turn comes up. I've got plans and things I could do here, but actually putting forth the effort of playing them out is just...beyond me right now. Sorry guys.
    You can surrender now if you wish. In fact it's probably better to do so before my next turn comes up.

6. - Top - End - #366

We bring glad news. We have made peace with the Celts. In exchange for tribute for proposing their terrible scholars in residence,
    and gifting Truro to the Brazillians. The one known as Bouddica will retire from the rule of the state. Her sister, Bouddica two will be taking over. We hope that this will lead to peace the world over.

~President Jennifer of the Polish.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I was going to ask that you credit one of her historical daughters but then I remembered we don't actually know what their names were. Thanks, Tacitus, you're a bastion of first-century feminism and quality reporting.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #368

I was going to ask that you credit one of her historical daughters but then I remembered we don't actually know what their names were. Thanks, Tacitus, you're a bastion of first-century feminism and quality reporting.
    So sister with the same name it is!

In all seriousness I can change it to daughter. I'm named after my dad so now it's just mother daughter the name's the same, instead of father son.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Honestly I wasn't even really RPing Boudica so much as the generic representative of religiously-fundamentalist coalition of culturally-aligned states. Name the AI leader whatever you like.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370

Spoiler: Spectator update
    Show

In 1670, did the world's first heavier then air flight take place in the fields of Alexandria.

[A turn late but what can you do.]

11. - Top - End - #371

Spoiler: India;The snark
    Show

I have sent you a deal for 3 coal on my end. If you will vote down scholars in residence, feel free to take the deal. If you will not,
    do not take the deal.

~President Jennifer of the Polish.

12. - Top - End - #372

We are pleased to announce that despite Indian foolishness in attempting to let Venice gain new weapons for their campaign of terror.
    The resolution of Scholars in residence, did not pass the world congress.

The world. For the moment, is still safe from Venice. In regards to this. We propose an embargo of Venice. No civilized nation should be willing to trade with the saber rattling, conquering Venice, so really this should just be a formality.

~President Jennifer.

13. - Top - End - #373

Show

And thus. In the year 1700 AD. Did the miraculously Polish flying machines see use in direct combat. Obliterating a squad of Venician Crossbowmen in a single pass.

A Polish history book snippet on the Great Western conflict.

14. - Top - End - #374

Thanks to paranormal talks with the Venican government, we report that thanks to the use of our great flying machines, the great western war is finally at an end. Venice will pay reparations for declaring war on us, amounting to 485 gold immediately, and 115 gold per turn for 30 turns.
    With this, we can finally close the chapter on the Great Western war.

~President Jennifer to the voters, during the 1705 elections.

15. - Top - End - #375

Venice. If you do not remove your spy from our cities, relations will become. Strained....

~President Jennifer.

16. - Top - End - #376

Spoiler: For spectators
    Show

I could win this game right now. I have enough scientists to bulb straight up to X-com, and if I get branderburg in my capital, they'll start with blitz.

So do I retain my morals and win science. Or do I shove x-coms down India's and Venice's throats?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Spectator -> Illven
    Show

You know you want to.

But seriously, if you're not getting tired with the game go for science victory. You can always destroy them later if you're worried about them getting too close to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

18. - Top - End - #378
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Spectator to Illven
    Show
    The now long retired Pedro II encourages you to slaughter them all in revenge for my early retirement. Commence hostile takeovers of all the businesses.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

19. - Top - End - #379

Spoiler: To Ray
    Show

But I brought your civilization back from the dead! Why are you still retired!

20. - Top - End - #380

And so. Venice, proves once and for all their backstabbing traitorous ways. They have declared war upon the great land of Poland.

We were backstabbed once. We extended the olive branch. We were backstabbed again. Their will be no olive branch this time.

The X-com initiative has begun!

~President Jen.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Illven
    Show
    Well that settles that question
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

22. - Top - End - #382

Show

"Venice treachery has produced results. The skeletons of Venice's closets have been voted out of office even with the rigged elections that their leaders gave to placate them. We recommend a prosperous peace as soon as possible, President Jen. Our people may look on the treachery as solely the result of the previous leaders and hold no ill will towards the people of Venice."

~A telegram from the minister of war. 1770 AD.

However. Right now the Venicaians are angry. They are lashing out, and will not accept peace. President Jen, to her cabinet.

Even isolated Warsaw reports no problems from the Venicans.

Our workers continue to improve our empire.

The forward base of Krakow stands firm. Even as Lancers move to our territory, they have no hope against our flying machines.

Carl devotes his life to the study of Ballistics.

And by the grace of Pocahontas. He is successful.

Our other scientist wait for their calling.

Here we see the glorious results that Polish scientist have given to the people.

X-com HQ, formerly known as Alexandria, formerly known as Warsaw, constructs the Brandenburg gate. A monument to the wars of liberation past.

Krakow's secret labs work on weapons best not known to other men. So that Venice and the Celts may not get their hands on them.

As Lodz and Wroclaw focus on conventional weapons.

Warsaw is a tiny city.

With tradition, thinking, and capitalism we shall pave the way to the future forever!

The polish are best at everything, except gold...

And here we see the wishes of the world congress.

We trade spare furs to Arabia.

And information on all our nations rivals.

23. - Top - End - #383

And with glad news we report the siege of Mecca has ended, and peace has come with the Venicans. A tidy sum of gold for us,
    and Mecca returned to Harun.

However. Despite our clear displeasure, and our explanations for our displeasure. India has now proposed scholars in residence with no defense of their actions. That they want tyrants to have an easier time to obtain weapons seems crystal clear. They may not be tyrants themselves.
    But they are tyrant enablers. For the sake of the peace of the world. We must declare war on the Indians.

~President Jennifer.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Enabling tyranny? No; tyranny is alive and well without our aid. It has become increasingly clear over the last few centuries that Poland considers itself the de facto ruler of this land. The defense of Arabia and Brazil was not charity but self-interest; these states have become protectorates in all but name, dependent on Polish support and unable to ever flourish in their own right. We sought to enable competition, spreading the wisdom that has made Poland so prosperous far and wide. It is true, some would have used this knowledge for war and their own selfish ambitions, as the Polish do now... but it is better to have a choice of evils than be trapped with one.

Some time ago, the Polish president claimed that their status within the World Congress gave them the right to intervene in other nations' affairs. The World Congress has since revoked that status, yet Polish interventionism has only grown more blatantly aggressive. The face of tyranny is revealed.

India is a peaceful nation. It is clear there is no hope of victory; we can only lay down our arms and pray that the Polish dominion is merciful.

Good night, India.

(OOC: And surrendered; I'm well behind in both tech and production, so there was never any hope of winning here, and losing the capital is a nice symbolic place to leave off.)
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #385

And as the last human player in 18, I declare myself the winner.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Yeah that was interesting but there was no way any of us were going to win that without at least double-teaming Poland early. I could have probably drawn it out with a big colonial empire, but against X-COMs in the 1700s maybe not. I've never seen that much map advantage and national trait advantage happen in one game before without rerolling half a dozen times in single player.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387

Hey. Let's be fair here. It's now early 1800's. Though if I had realized it earlier, it probably could have been late 1700's.

Spoiler: Final spectator update
    Show

In the year 1810 AD, a ring of Polish satellites encircle the world.

The other nations think that the heavier then air flying machines are our greatest weapon. They lack the wisdom to see into the void beyond.

We don't have refrigeration, but Robots. Got that.

Right now, only metallics can survive the crushing void. But. We will put a man on the moon in this decade. We do these things,
    not because they will be easy. But because Poland can into space.

Krakow, having finished it's research on the ultimate weapon, works on more conventional airplanes.

Lodz, will work on air strips from which to launch even more planes into the sky.

As Wroclaw works on a broadcast tower, to blast the music of freedom all over the land.

And there's Warsaw with it's aluminium.

The Swedish beacon. Sent to all worlds that seem to contain human-life. We found this beacon near Alexandria early in life. There we mined it's info for the technologies of a previous space-fairing civilization. They told of alien activity, but when we see the skies. We see only one other inhabited world.

With the loss of all the original leaders of the world. The world can enter a new golden age of peace and prosperity at last.

The world congress. The Siamese are host. If it cannot be us, due to past leaders jealously, at least it is a nation of peace.

Here we see that we have over double the tourism of anyone else.

And most of the information on our fellow nations.

No. Gandhi 2. If you want peace. If you want prosperity for the Indian empire. Then, Gandhi 2. Lay down your arms.

Any questions?

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

God damnit I knew you were going to go to the Polandball meme at some point and I still laughed.

Incidentally, I just got that achievement in Europa Universalis 4 today. You may have been something of an inspiration.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #389

God damnit I knew you were going to go to the Polandball meme at some point and I still laughed.

Incidentally, I just got that achievement in Europa Universalis 4 today. You may have been something of an inspiration.
    In another life. A D&D life. I was a bard.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Bards are also completely unstoppable after they stack enough synergistic modifiers on themselves, so it works for this game too.
    Spoiler
    Show