New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    A184: Yes, any effect that would be blocked on its way in will also be blocked on its way out. There are ways around this ofcourse, such as possessing the Destructive Radiance feat (from the Illuminator's Handbook) or possessing the Aligned Protection drawback. Also, the future Protection Sphere Handbook, from what I hear plans to include a talent that allows you and allies to not be hindered by your own barriers.
    so i am guessing two of the talents is mobile barrier and after mentioned Reinhardt one and ability to forcefully reap magic from others which sounds good for moi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Q186: With regards to the Combat Engineer Alchemist archetype's Resonator and Slow-Burning Agent modifications, what differentiates a sphere 'effect' from a sphere 'ability'? Worded another way, when would I want to take Resonator over Slow-Burning Agent?

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pfm1995 View Post
    Q179: Can the Doomblade Mageknight archetype dual-wield his Destructive Blade, and if so is it considered a light weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuneymg View Post
    Q178 If I admix Stone Blast with another blast type, does the entire effect ignore SR, Globes of Invulnerability, and Antimagic?

Q179 In the case of all 3 Crystal Blast talents, do the 1 minute lingering effects fill a 3 dimensional space? If used with energy orb in midair, does the effect fall to the ground or float in the area it originally occupied?
    Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    A178 Yes, it does. I asked that once, too.
    Excellent!

Do you happen to know where (or even which AMA thread) you asked that in? I'd like to be able to link directly to the answer for when my DM throws a book at me for dropping a stone/crystal/living crystal blast energy cloud on top of his boss man.
    The properties of the stone blast apply to the admixtured blast. I don't feel like digging up the original instance so I will just state it again since I'm lazy.

A179: The wording doesn't specify ground or other surfaces, so RAW I believe the crystals hover in the air. I will bounce this one to Adam though for clarification of the original intent on crystal blast.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    A179: Negative on the dual-wielding. stack has also said that the blade is actually a blast shape rather than a weapon.

EDIT: Then again, a melee touch attack counts as a light weapon, doesn't it? So you can probably count it for other purposes even if the dual-wield thing is moot.
    You can only have one destructive blade, but you could have a different weapon in another hand and dual wield that way. I believe melee touch attacks do count as light weapons (definitely finessable), but I don't have a citation at the moment.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by pfm1995 View Post
    Q186: With regards to the Combat Engineer Alchemist archetype's Resonator and Slow-Burning Agent modifications, what differentiates a sphere 'effect' from a sphere 'ability'? Worded another way, when would I want to take Resonator over Slow-Burning Agent?
    Well, this is embarrassing. Slow-Burning Agent should be:

"When you spend a spell point to allow an effect to last without concentration, it lasts for a minimum of 1 minute per caster level."

I'll update the errata.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Q187: Does using the Bestow Intelligence talent on Animated Objects grant them feats for their hit die? Eg. a Huge Animated Object would get 4 feats. I can't find a reason why not, but it seems pretty damn strong.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q188

If you use alteration to grant yourself an extra head and a breath weapon, do both heads have a breath weapon?

7. - Top - End - #487
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Q189 : I'm using Rituals as something almost anyone can do with the optional pricing of Blood Price & Cataclysmic Magic as the general roads to using such magic. Most of the ritual can be done beforehand leaving the last bit to be cast at the end, though anyone can only hold one spell in reserve in this fashion. However I've thought that those with a Casting & a Spell Point pool could use Rituals by spending spell points with a multiple to the spell in spell points. I'm just not sure what that multiple should be to have it still be a tool, but not so prohibitive that is becomes a wasted rule that no one would bother with.

Thank you for your time and input.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

ok i have a question that i could not find in the thread.

1. i love the vanician spell "Prismatic mist/sray" seriies. how would they be recreated in the spheres of power system? each time i have tried it ends up off the complexity chart.
    Mist (3 parts destruction, 1 part time, 1 part enhancement, 2 parts mind) 3rd level spell
    1 Red 1d4 points fire damage
    2 Orange 1d6 points acid damage
    3 Yellow 1d8 points electricity damage
    4 Green Poison; 1d4 points Str damage (Fort negates)
    5 Blue Slowed for 1 round (Will negates)
    6 Indigo Lesser confusion for 1 round (Will negates, mind-affecting)
    7 Violet Dazed for 1 round (Will negates)
    8 At the junction of two colors; roll twice more, ignoring any "8" results

Spray (3 parts destruction, 2 part enhancement?, 1 part mind, 1 part warp) 7th level spell
    1 Red 20 points fire damage (Reflex half)
    2 Orange 40 points acid damage (Reflex half)
    3 Yellow 80 points electricity damage (Reflex half)
    4 Green Poison (Kills; Fortitude partial, take 1d6 points of Con damage instead)
    5 Blue Turned to stone (Fortitude negates)
    6 Indigo Insane, as insanity spell (Will negates)
    7 Violet Sent to another plane (Will negates)
    8 Struck by two rays; roll twice more, ignoring any “8” results.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by death390 View Post

1. i love the vanician spell "Prismatic mist/sray" seriies. how would they be recreated in the spheres of power system? each time i have tried it ends up off the complexity chart.
    Mist (3 parts destruction, 1 part time, 1 part enhancement, 2 parts mind) 3rd level spell
    1 Red 1d4 points fire damage
    2 Orange 1d6 points acid damage
    3 Yellow 1d8 points electricity damage
    4 Green Poison; 1d4 points Str damage (Fort negates)
    5 Blue Slowed for 1 round (Will negates)
    6 Indigo Lesser confusion for 1 round (Will negates, mind-affecting)
    7 Violet Dazed for 1 round (Will negates)
    8 At the junction of two colors; roll twice more, ignoring any "8" results

Spray (3 parts destruction, 2 part enhancement?, 1 part mind, 1 part warp) 7th level spell
    1 Red 20 points fire damage (Reflex half)
    2 Orange 40 points acid damage (Reflex half)
    3 Yellow 80 points electricity damage (Reflex half)
    4 Green Poison (Kills; Fortitude partial, take 1d6 points of Con damage instead)
    5 Blue Turned to stone (Fortitude negates)
    6 Indigo Insane, as insanity spell (Will negates)
    7 Violet Sent to another plane (Will negates)
    8 Struck by two rays; roll twice more, ignoring any “8” results.
    With respect, the "prismatic" line of spells are kind of thing that Spheres of Power was made to avoid. they're complex, they're needlessly random, and they have save-or-die effects. They fall quite neatly in "T1 or GTFO" category of spells that flat out ignore anything that martials can do (looking at you, forcecage and wind wall). Heck, the Wall and Sphere require 7 specific spells to penetrate (you can use a greater dispel magic rather than the regular, but whatever) and requires you to have a sorcerer or wizard (and let's be honest, it's the wizard because unless said sorcerer picks these spells specifically to counter this spell, there's no way that any sorcerer will choose those 7 spells for their spells known) of level 13+ (because they are the only classes with a spell list with all 7 spells)to penetrate those defenses.

Also, the spells needed make no sense. Walls 3 and 4 require a 6th (disintegrate) and 5th (passwall) level spell respectively, but wall 5 is beaten by a 1st level spell (magic missile). How does that make a lick of sense? Since when did magic missile have anything to do with divinations (what the 5th wall protects from) or turning people to stone (the penalty for entering the area)? It's a hodgepodge of bad that only exists so that the almighty wizard can to deal with it.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-05-28 at 12:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Bugbear in the Playground

A general note on the Mass Meld talent:

Compared to other Mass/Group talents it doesn't save any spell points. In fact, the only thing you save is actions. Taking into account that the duration of the meld talents is measured in hours, it can be expected that people use it well in advance of a situation where actions matter. So effectively this leaves only two situations: Being caught with pants down during an ambush or being stripped of the meld effect in a fight, where everyone needs it.

These situations are too narrow to matter enough that I would choose for any character this talent. At best, a spiritualist hedgewitch would sacrifice a round to learn the talent and use it in the second round, if that is that important. Or people buy a wand specifically for this. So what could have been a great talent (even if the duration would have been stripped down to 10 minutes/level or even 1 minute/level (in the latter case, paying only 1 SP would be enough)) is now relegated into the "also running" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Niztael View Post
    Q189 : I'm using Rituals as something almost anyone can do with the optional pricing of Blood Price & Cataclysmic Magic as the general roads to using such magic. Most of the ritual can be done beforehand leaving the last bit to be cast at the end, though anyone can only hold one spell in reserve in this fashion. However I've thought that those with a Casting & a Spell Point pool could use Rituals by spending spell points with a multiple to the spell in spell points. I'm just not sure what that multiple should be to have it still be a tool, but not so prohibitive that is becomes a wasted rule that no one would bother with.

Thank you for your time and input.
    A189: Did you look at Spell Dabbler or Spell Adapt?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

11. - Top - End - #491

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by death390 View Post

Didn't the light book have a ritual for this?

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Q. 190 When an Armorist summons a firearm, does it already have ammunition loaded into it or must the Armorist do that themselves?

13. - Top - End - #493
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q. 191 - Similar to 190, can an armorist summon a technological firearm, or have a bound technological item, assuming he has the appropriate weapon proficiency feat? And, in that case, would the charges be counted as ammo?
    Last edited by RedWyvern; 2017-06-06 at 08:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Q. 192 - In regards to a Whitesmith's personal refinement ability, what counts as being on their person? Things held or worn seem obvious. Things in a backpack seem sensibly to be on their person. What about if they use Animate Object on a statue of a horse? Can you ride it around and it will stay animated as it is arguably on your person, without having to concentrate?
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Q193. This question has almost certainly been asked before, but is there a line concerning transparency between spells and sphere effects, or is it up to the GM to decide? For example, does a Sphere Sorcerer who takes the Orc Bloodline get a +1 damage/dice boost to his Destruction Sphere abilities, or is that bonus solely regulated to "spells" and not "sphere effects" or some such?
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2017-06-08 at 07:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #496

Flumph

My group has finally started looking into the system after I took a look myself and shoved it into a few of their hands, and we like what we see. I expect we'll start seeing a few characters using it in our next few campaigns.

Q194
    How does Cryptic Strike work with Greater Ghost Strike from the Death sphere? Can they be used together? If so, how does that work?
    Last edited by Geigan; 2017-06-10 at 07:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geigan View Post
    My group has finally started looking into the system after I took a look myself and shoved it into a few of their hands, and we like what we see. I expect we'll start seeing a few characters using it in our next few campaigns.

Q194
    How does Cryptic Strike work with Greater Ghost Strike from the Death sphere? Can they be used together? If so, how does that work?
    A194: cryptic specifies that the creature struck is affected by the ghost strike, so greater doesn't have a way to directly apply. If it said you could use ghost strike as a free action, then you could blast out a cone, but as written I do not believe so.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Orc in the Playground

Q195 A player of mine wants to play an Eclectic Researcher. They are required to have the focused casting drawback using a spellbook as their focus. She's also wants to take somatic casting, but asked me a question about it I can't answer. If she has her spellbook in one hand and is performing gestures with another, does that mean she can't ever hold (and thus benefit) from a staff?

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

Q195 A player of mine wants to play an Eclectic Researcher. They are required to have the focused casting drawback using a spellbook as their focus. She's also wants to take somatic casting, but asked me a question about it I can't answer. If she has her spellbook in one hand and is performing gestures with another, does that mean she can't ever hold (and thus benefit) from a staff?
    C195If i understand correctly your player wants the spell book as his focus and wants to use somatic casting to? well if you ask me she needs to either choose staff or book as focus or needs to drop somatic part

so yes for me but wait for offical answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Dwarf in the Playground

she can just enchant the book as a staff since that is something you can do in SoP
    Last edited by Slavezero; 2017-06-11 at 04:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q196: Is there anything I'm not seeing which prevents you from Spellcrafting a decent buff spell (say Improved Haste) onto a Totem from the War sphere, thus giving your entire group (or potentially Army, Castle, or Ship at advanced talent levels) the benefits of both the totem and that buff spell?

Seems like a pretty talent-efficient way for low or mid casters to buff a whole group without spending talents on Mass/Ranged boons in the specific spheres.

22. - Top - End - #502

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
    Q196: Is there anything I'm not seeing which prevents you from Spellcrafting a decent buff spell (say Improved Haste) onto a Totem from the War sphere, thus giving your entire group (or potentially Army, Castle, or Ship at advanced talent levels) the benefits of both the totem and that buff spell?

Seems like a pretty talent-efficient way for low or mid casters to buff a whole group without spending talents on Mass/Ranged boons in the specific spheres.
    I'm not certain about spellcrafting rules, but if you want to do make buffing more efficient, the squadron feats provide a method with ranged command and mass command.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Orc in the Playground

Q197 Is there a source that defines the terms in the weather spheres? For instance, severity 3 rain is described as light/fog. How long does it take for light rain to get a creature "wet" for the purposes of the Water Geomancy Sphere? What is the difference, mechanically, between light, moderate, and heavy rain?

24. - Top - End - #504

Q198

The archetype wizard gets sphere specialization in lieu of arcane school and arcane bond. Does it need also to sacrifice all bonus feats?
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2017-06-14 at 09:11 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    Q198

The archetype wizard gets sphere specialization in lieu of arcane school and arcane bond. Does it need also to sacrifice all bonus feats?
    A198

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The incanter is basically the wizard, but gets bonus feats instead of class features. It can trade in 7 of it's feats for 3 specialization points to buy sphere specialization, and then use the other 4 feat for meta-magic feats. At that point, you're playing a sphere wizard - almost exactly, except the meta-magic feats come at different levels.

26. - Top - End - #506

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    A198

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The incanter is basically the wizard, but gets bonus feats instead of class features. It can trade in 7 of it's feats for 3 specialization points to buy sphere specialization, and then use the other 4 feat for meta-magic feats. At that point, you're playing a sphere wizard - almost exactly, except the meta-magic feats come at different levels.
    Understood, thank you.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sethis View Post

As far as I understand Spellcrafting, you can do just that. This is why it's a subsystem that requires DM approval not only to use in the first place, but for each 'spell' you make too.

28. - Top - End - #508

Imp

The Shadow of the Shadowboxer in the Nyctomancer's Handbook, page 8:

A shadow boxer’s shadow has a reach of 10 ft. at 1st level. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, the reach of the shadow’s boxer’s shadow increases by +5 ft., to a maximum of +25 ft. at 20th level.
    Does this work like a reach weapon for the monk?
    • If they have 10ft reach normally, will they be able to attack with a 20ft reach at level 1?
    • Or is the shadow's reach and progression separate from the monk?

Since it says "may manipulate her shadow as an extension of her body", it seems like it would be the first case?

Also, what about natural weapons? A monk could Full Attack and then use his natural attacks - can the shadow do that too, considering it could wield weapons?

29. - Top - End - #509

Imp

Also: Was there ever an errata for the alteration sphere's size increase?
    From personal experience with that talent both as a player and a DM, it provides disproportional bonuses compared to almost every other choice available, especially in the early levels.

30. - Top - End - #510

Imp

Could one create 2 totems of scourging in the same area to:
    - deal 1/2cl fire damage twice a round?
    - deal 1/2cl fire and 1/2cl cold damage each round?