New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The Long Haul

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default The Long Haul

I've read a number of people on the forum suggesting that Ansom is somehow going to beat Stanley and Parson is going to defect and join Ansom. I think that's a load of rubbish, but it's not like we know yet, right?

I'm of the thought that Ansom is a bit player who meets his end at Gobwin Knob. Of course, since we haven't seen anything like it yet, there is always the possibility that Warlords can be 'resurrected.' Presumably it would be reserved for those with the money for it, and with the power for it. Ansom may not meet his untimely end, in fact, but that's sort of irrelevant to what I want to say.

I think once Gobwin Knob has been defended, Parson and the Tool will then begin a campaign of recovering the other ArkenTools. Parson may return to the "real world" (though I think it's unlikely, unless that 'Perfect Warlord' spell has a limited duration?), but I think that is the direction the story will go in.

Make sense?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The Long Haul

Let's see, hmmm....

First, Ansom will be captured. He will be humiliated, possibly tortured, but eventually ransomed, sans pliers, back to daddy for lots of schmuckers. This would make sense to Parson, as Ansom will be psychologically unbalanced losing to a commoner like Stanley. If possible, Ansom will not learn of Parson's existence either.

Second, the battle will continue. Parson will botch one or two more times out of ignorance, however the Coalition will fail to capitalize as they spiral into a dysfunctional mess. I think Parson will find special interest in eliminating what little intel, recon, and communications that they currently have.

Third, Jillian will probably fight in a dramatic last stand, proving that she is not a traitor to Ansom's allies, then gets captured AGAIN, and finally submits to Wanda's wiles like a little, masochistic puppy. Later she will be released and go back to her badboop self. She will alternate and vary as her allegiances blur throughout the comic.

Fourth, Stanley's army will be bolstered by numerous new uncroaked soldiers. Also, Parson will likely concentrate on building more 'mancers and other high utility troops.

Fifth, Stanley will regain more territory, just in time for a new alliance, possibly headed by Ansom, who will again attempt a simple brute force attack. Ansom will be joined by new, stronger, and more useful powers, maybe just maybe another Arkentool.

Sixth, after many gags, lots of battles, and insane hijinx, Stanley will win. I repeat, Stanley will win the whole enchilada. Perhaps, just perhaps, a small band of rebels might THEN, and only then, flip Parson to their side. Odds are more favorable that Parson is released foolishly at about that same point, and starts his own overlordship from the bottom up. My own money, however, would be that we will see a big "FIN" after the last great battle.

Edited for clarity on minor detail.
    Last edited by SirEdward; 2007-07-17 at 06:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I never understood the people who think Parson would defect to Ansom's side. The spell that summoned Parson seems to leave very little wiggle room in terms of free choice of alliance.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0019.html

Panel 7, note where Wanda says "forever". This seems to say to me that Parson is pretty much stuck with Stanley. Now, the effects of Stanley dying hasn't been specifically mentioned anywhere, but something about the spell seems like it would prevent Parson from being able to defect, regardless if Stanley died or not. To me, it seems like if Stanley goes, so does Parson, whether thats end of existence for Parson of back to the real world, it doesn't really matter, since all that has to happen is he is removed from Erfworld.

The other thing that I could see happening if Stanley dies is Parson becoming the Chief Warlord for the next Overlord, or Parson himself becoming overlord (which I'm a bit skeptical of, but it is a possibility.)

Anyways, sorry to derail, lets see if I can get back on topic. After the battle for Gobwin Knob has been resolved, I see Parson making a push for the cities that Stanely lost. Didn't the hold 13 at some point? Or some other double digit number? I'm sure the Tool would like to have his empire back, heck, would need his empire back before he can even go for the other Arkentools. He needs to be able to have a decent force to go attack the rival cities after all.
    Last edited by Mysteryman64; 2007-07-18 at 03:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

What I'd really hope is that the Arkenpliers wont work for Stanley and in fact will only work for Parson or maybe Misty.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Remember, as far as we know Ansom isn't aware that the arkenpliers are stanleys ultimate objective. Ansom's just trying to rid the world of a megalomaniac, and believes Stanley is trying to prevent that (well, obviously). Would he so casually wield them if he was aware of their importance to stanley?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Remember, as far as we know Ansom isn't aware that the arkenpliers are stanleys ultimate objective. Ansom's just trying to rid the world of a megalomaniac, and believes Stanley is trying to prevent that (well, obviously). Would he so casually wield them if he was aware of their importance to stanley?
    Who are you replying to?