New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Girl Genius XXI: Cancel the Jugglers

So, Andy's problem is not just part of recent revival or after-effects of storage. Too bad.

Really hoping he doesn't decide Zola is a Heterodyne. Like we don't have enough trouble.

The Master's backstory is looking pretty interesting at this point. He was a friend and ally of Andy's once and had to help bring him down. Now, in his old age, he may have to do it again (or die trying).

On the succession issue:

There's a general leaning towards primogeniture. Some cultures have gone for ultimogeniture (inheritance by youngest child/son). Some prefer siblings/brothers of a monarch before children/sons. Some royal families have changed the family name for reasons other than male/female line issues.

There have been some royal families where any child (or any male child) could be named heir (which led some to have the habit of wiping out everyone not named heir. Although I believe one Babylonian king spared his brother even if he had to make him a eunuch to get away with it).

In some cases, there have been arguments over legitimacy. Some prefer direct descent in a female line over indirect descent in a male line. Some don't.

Short version: Things get very messy very fast when it isn't clear who should be next on the throne.

As Robin McKinley put it, ""Kings should marry young and get heirs early, that their people may have one thing less to worry about."

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm getting a broken image link.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am curious how this all fits in with Andronicus saying he was abruptly snatched away from his supposed moment of victory by Van Rijn.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    I am curious how this all fits in with Andronicus saying he was abruptly snatched away from his supposed moment of victory by Van Rijn.
    If he *did* actually die there, as the Master believes, then his memory probably isn't all that accurate. Or, of course, it's always possible that Van Rijn drugged him to make the others think he was dead, so he could take away the "dead" body without any questions.
    Last edited by factotum; 2017-02-27 at 07:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like Agatha's not going to have time to greet her hostess before things start going boom.

She needs to cut down on the sparkle.

And pooh, Violetta didn't get to wear a pretty dress after all. On the other hand, she's working, keeping the weasel safe and an eye on Martellus.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The last thing Andy remembers is Van Rijn standing before him. And per the Master, " - the corrupted shell of the Storm King raged across the land - " long after the world believed him dead.

Conclusion: Van Rijn tried to do something FOR his friend - and botched it. Resulting in a corrupted shell raging across the land. And then took his body and laid it somewhere in some form of suspended animation, perhaps hoping he could undo the botch. Or maybe killing him isn't really possible.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Or maybe killing him isn't really possible.
    Destroying anything is possible, it's how much collateral damage is tolerable that is the question.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #428

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Destroying anything is possible, it's how much collateral damage is tolerable that is the question.
    In a world without nukes - so far as we know - Andy may be pretty darn close to indestructible.

I'm really seeing this arc leading toward Colette breaking through and achieving Full Sparky, and doing so to avenge her father's death.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

9. - Top - End - #429

BlackDragon

Conclusion: Van Rijn tried to do something FOR his friend - and botched it. Resulting in a corrupted shell raging across the land. And then took his body and laid it somewhere in some form of suspended animation, perhaps hoping he could undo the botch.
    Ooh, I like that theory--it nicely explains the apparent inconsistency between the Master's and Andy's recollections. Will be interesting to see how their reunion goes!

10. - Top - End - #430

For a moment, I was wondering if the woman in the group shot was our first glimpse of Albia, but apparently not if they're all dead except for the Master.

11. - Top - End - #431

BlueWizardGirl

Just wanted to toss this in on the royal inheritance issue:

Some cultures had a king, but he would inherit by being the son of the king's sister--because you could always be sure of descent through the female line. OK, it's a bit cynical, but so's Tarvek's family.

We haven't seen any evidence of anyone doing that in the GG world. But, if the Storm King's line favored that system (obviously, they claim descent from Andy, but they may have favored female descent after that).

Why would this be fun?

Think about it politically for a favor-male-descent family, like it seems Gil comes from. Tarvek can be Storm King, but whoever marries Seffie is the father of the NEXT Storm King.

Both families would see themselves as co-opting the other. It's dynastic politics where both walk away feeling they've won.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2017-02-28 at 01:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    For a moment, I was wondering if the woman in the group shot was our first glimpse of Albia, but apparently not if they're all dead except for the Master.
    For whatever it's worth, here is a sketch of Albia that Phil did for a fan, and she looks absolutely nothing like the woman in the strip. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Albia seldom if ever leaves England.

13. - Top - End - #433

SamuraiGuy

The question of whether or not inheritance could pass through the female was the basis for the British claim to the throne of France. Which led to the Hundred Year War. These things matter.

The Saudi's don't pass via anything based on age; the House of Saud gets together and picks one of the men to be the next king. The youngest of the sons of old ibn Saud is the current king; when he passes, they'll have to go to the grandsons. He had dozens of sons and I think there are hundreds of grandsons, so they should have a wide selection.

The Master of Paris seems to be using the Saudi method; he's not going to hand things over to his eldest child, he's got hopes for Colette.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I like the way Violetta is looking at Martellus while holding the weasel in the first panel.

Do we have any idea of who is on the right-hand side of the third panel and what they were doing? My only guess is that one of them is Van Rijn without his hood up, but I don't trust that idea. In any case, their eyes look evil.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I like the way Violetta is looking at Martellus while holding the weasel in the first panel.

Do we have any idea of who is on the right-hand side of the third panel and what they were doing? My only guess is that one of them is Van Rijn without his hood up, but I don't trust that idea. In any case, their eyes look evil.
    I think it would have to be van Rijn, with a couple of assistants. One of them maybe Prende. I can't think of anyone else who would be on scene in the aftermath of Andy's defeat that the companions wouldn't turn on or try to shoo away. As to the eyes, they might be evil, or they might be showing determination.

(The fighter on the right: Is that some sort of staff he's holding that's sticking up behind him, or does he have that... whatever it is... attached to his back?)

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    (The fighter on the right: Is that some sort of staff he's holding that's sticking up behind him, or does he have that... whatever it is... attached to his back?)
    Huh? I think the "staff" is a person. I think someone is standing behind the guy who is sitting. He is holding some sort of animal in the crook of his arm. I think he is looking off to our right, but I can't make out a face, so apparently he's wearing some sort of mask? He is wearing some sort of helmet with two antlers on it.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-02-28 at 09:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Huh? I think the "staff" is a person. I think someone is standing behind the guy who is sitting. He is holding some sort of animal in the crook of his arm. I think he is looking off to our right, but I can't make out a face, so apparently he's wearing some sort of mask? He is wearing some sort of helmet with two antlers on it.
    Ah, yes, that makes more sense. I was interpreting it as the animal being the head in some sort of mask (or perhaps an animal headed person), and the body doubled over in the grief that seems to be the general emotion of the scene, with the arm across the face in an additional show of distress. But you appear to be correct.

It's a very STRANGE mask, though. If it is a mask.

18. - Top - End - #438

SamuraiGuy

Also, the MoP was evidently 8 feet tall and 5 feet wide as a young Spark. Or is he already well down the path of mechanical man?

Notice Andy's coffin has electrical discharge as Van Rijn drives it away.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    It's a very STRANGE mask, though. If it is a mask.
    Maybe a heavily tattooed druid?

20. - Top - End - #440

BlueWizardGirl

If Andy weren't a character who'd been built up over years, I'd be expecting the tragic ending where he causes mayhem only to get back in touch with reality long enough to realize how much he's lost and make a noble sacrifice/succumb to radiation poisoning while saying something that tries (and maybe succeeds) in being memorable.

But, I can't imagine he's going to be gone that fast. So, I've got no idea where this is going. Hopefully, he doesn't decide Zola is the Heterodyne and Agatha is her servant. Other than that, I haven't a clue.

21. - Top - End - #441

BlackDragon

Andy only has the Muse's word that this is Paris, and since he disbelieved her when she told him it had been centuries since he was last active, I'm not sure why he should suddenly start believing her now?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Seeing something with your own eyes tends to make a person rethink.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, Andy, it's been centuries. Now I don't suppose you'd be willing to go back down to your crypt like a good like zombie Storm King and stop causing trouble, would you?

Didn't think so.

(Once he finds out that almost everyone he knows IS dead and has been for a long time,I wonder what he's going to do? I wonder what motivated him to go on his destruction spree before?)

24. - Top - End - #444

SamuraiGuy

Will the Master attack, or talk? I suspect some exposition is in order regardless of good tactics. Also, he's not going to want to hurt Prende.

This also may be the moment for Beausoleil to make his move.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler: Welp
    Show
    That didn't last long. Old Andy if off really off his rocker. The real question is who (what) is yelling stop in the bottom right? It's someone with the same speach bubble as one of the Muses.

Tinfoil hat theory time. Olitia is in Paris and is the one yelling. But why didn't we know about Olitia before or see her? Because she was petending to be a clank named Bohrlaikha. If you noticed Bohrlaikha acts a lot like Von Pin/Olitia.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #446

SamuraiGuy

Krazokzk! is a most eloquent argument against Parisian architecture.

The Master has positively identified Andy, not that there was much doubt. And Prende has lost her ability to influence her lord.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, so much for resolving this peacefully.
    Not that that was ever a likely option...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well, so much for resolving this peacefully.
    Not that that was ever a likely option...
    Nah. He's about to be arrested. I have full faith in the Parisian blue line to handle this.

29. - Top - End - #449

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Nah. He's about to be arrested. I have full faith in the Parisian blue line to handle this.
    So you think he'll be seized by the gendarme of the law?

It's very worrisome that the Master is worried, considering the firepower of the gargoyles / Monsieur Machines / truant officers / what have you he can throw at this situation.

30. - Top - End - #450

BarbarianGuy

This also may be the moment for Beausoleil to make his move.
    MoP, all his defenses, no less than 3 Stormking candidates, the Heterodyne AND her castle plus assorted Queen of the Dawn/Other/Geisterdammen (and where are Gil and/or Higgs?) on hand...all of them revved up for a fight, and Beau is gonna throw down?

Naw...you let them beat each other down for a while, then step in to steal the prize.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.