New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Help with Hero 6th edition

Hello all,
    I am going to start a campaign in the Hero 6th edition. However I don't know that much about the system and the rulebook is not that clear. Does anyone know of any guides for the basics or can anyone tell me some tips for learning the system? I am playing with 400 character points and 75 complication points. My general idea for a character is a sniper/detective/hitman named Det. Rodger Davis. I am thinking of being hunted by some organization and I had to take on a new identity (which is Det. Rodger Davis). So can anyone help me understand the basics and any specific advise for this character idea?

Thank You
    - BabyGary
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Help with Hero 6th edition

Not much in terms of advice, but when it ends, you should have a character with about 475 points of positive features... plus those 75 points of complications.

As you've written it, the complications you should most be looking at are Hunted, Negative Reputation, and, possibly, Social Complication. You might pull up to 30 points from Hunted, but that can be a bit annoying for everyone else, since they're More Powerful than you (15 points), have a big non-combat influence (+5) and they attack very frequently (+10). You're also going to have a social complication of Secret Identity, which will probably manage you a fair number of points.

For abilities? Consider what powers you want and need. As a sniper detective, I'd say that some degree of enhanced vision would be appropriate, and you might want power-enhanced skills... but there's a lot to be said for making someone who is simply very competent, without a lot of powers. I'm reminded of the TV show "The Sentinel"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.