New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Erfworld Thread IX: By the Flower and Gray Skull

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    This scroll keeps getting brought up. Doesn't Parson have some sort of spell-deflecting talisman? There's at least part of me suspecting that the end of book 3 will be when someone uses the scroll and it's deflected to them, and they get sent back to Parson's world (and proceed to wreck havoc).
    You are probably thinking of the Staff of Suckage. I don't think we've see it in quite a while. Originally, it was Wanda's weapon. This may have been the last we saw of it. I don't know if it was destroyed there or not.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-04-26 at 06:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    You are probably thinking of the Staff of Suckage. I don't think we've see it in quite a while. Originally, it was Wanda's weapon. This may have been the last we saw of it. I don't know if it was destroyed there or not.
    The staff is fairly obviously fizzling away into nothing after blocking the pew, unless it respawns I'd say it is done.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    The staff is fairly obviously fizzling away into nothing after blocking the pew, unless it respawns I'd say it is done.
    Well, it didn't look like it survived this time, either, but apparently it did. Granted, there was more of it left that time. Maybe the Twolls could repair it or maybe it's a start of turn thing.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

I bet ten internets we switch to Vinnie next.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

New comic

Janis was telling the truth, just not the whole truth. What is the Predictomancer up to, though?

6. - Top - End - #996
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler: New Page
    Show
    Great, everyone's gonna gather in front of the portal Marie is appearing and then... Marie and the warlady mow everyone down?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #997
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Show
    Great, everyone's gonna gather in front of the portal Marie is appearing and then... Marie and the warlady mow everyone down?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, heading to where the Predicimancer said Wanda was going to show up. Marie isn't coming back through the Portal soon. But there are a lot of guns there right now since she and the warlady tossed them through.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, it didn't look like it survived this time, either, but apparently it did. Granted, there was more of it left that time. Maybe the Twolls could repair it or maybe it's a start of turn thing.
    Either way, Parson clearly doesn't have it on him right now, so it's a moot point.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Show
    First, let me note that the prediction was about where Wanda would pop up, not Marie. Something like what you suggest is possible anyway. Ivan doesn't have enough juice left now to dig through much bedrock, so his choices of escape routes are probably limited. (All of this assumes that he can't go through the base of a portal like the doll did with the guns and such.) Recall that Ivan was captured because he was planting a spike trap outside Spacerock's portal. There may not be any bedrock there since he was probably captured before he could replace the bedrock. That would mean that he, Claud and Wanda could try to escape that way. [EDIT: Page 138 makes it sound as if he replaced the bedrock and would have to dig through it again.] The thing is Phillip said that she wasn't going to Spacerock. It's possible that they will send a Wanda doll to pop up at the other end of the tunnel (GK city) and then run through Spacerock's portal. Or maybe they will just try to use the tunnel to escape to GK City on the assumption that Spacerock's portal will be closely watched. If so, maybe Marie and the warlord will be ready to stop anyone from stopping Wanda and will mow down the casters if they have to. Or maybe Claud, Ivan and a Wanda doll go to GK City while Wanda sneaks into Spacerock.

Personally, I hope it's even more complicated than that. Maybe a Wanda doll goes through the GK City portal, gets chased by a bunch of casters and Jillian thinks the casters are the invaders and gets in a battle with them.

It would be pretty cold for Phil to just be intentionally setting up everyone to be mowed down and I doubt that is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Either way, Parson clearly doesn't have it on him right now, so it's a moot point.
    Yes. The fact that it hadn't been seen in a long time was mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-04-28 at 05:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1000

Oh right, misread Wanda as Marie in the text.

Well, they may be low on juice but depending on WHERE Wanda is gonna show up there still could be a good trap setup to croak a bunch of 'em.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Well, they may be low on juice but depending on WHERE Wanda is gonna show up there still could be a good trap setup to croak a bunch of 'em.
    Also, a lot of croaked casters might be what causes Wanda to "pop up".
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Halfling in the Playground

Meh ... I don't know. I liked a lot volume 1. I continued to follow and liked many things in following stories, while some much less (timing in updates first).
    But honestly, the story lately is becoming more and more confused and confusing for me.
    In this last update, I simply stopped reading at about half page.
    I just didn't care anymore.
    Maybe it's my fault. Too lazy probably.
    But Erfworld is becoming really boring to me and probably I'll soon stop following it.

13. - Top - End - #1003

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Portal park is nice this time of year. Maybe messing with the portals from below might do something?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, heading to where the Predicimancer said Wanda was going to show up. Marie isn't coming back through the Portal soon. But there are a lot of guns there right now since she and the warlady tossed them through.
    I had forgotten that was the plan. I don't know if they have gotten that far yet, though.

I doubt it. Croaked casters wouldn't do Wanda any good without the Arkenpliers. I think her first steps would be to get to get out of the MK and to get to the Arkenpliers, which she should expect would be in Spacerock.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-04-28 at 05:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt it. Croaked casters wouldn't do Wanda any good without the Arkenpliers.
    Croaked casters will have a harder time attacking her, though. Plus, casters can be uncroaked, even if they're no longer capable of casting at that point, and Wanda's still a Croakamancer; although that seems less likely to come up. (I'm kind of curious if uncroaked can be decrypted with the same result as decrypting their original corpses, admittedly).

I think her first steps would be to get to get out of the MK and to get to the Arkenpliers, which she should expect would be in Spacerock.
    It's entirely possible Phillip is misleading/lying about Wanda not going to her own portal, yes.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Croaked casters will have a harder time attacking her, though. Plus, casters can be uncroaked, even if they're no longer capable of casting at that point, and Wanda's still a Croakamancer; although that seems less likely to come up. (I'm kind of curious if uncroaked can be decrypted with the same result as decrypting their original corpses, admittedly).

It's entirely possible Phillip is misleading/lying about Wanda not going to her own portal, yes.
    I keep forgetting that Wanda could still have her own juice left over from before being captured.

I thought that perhaps Phillip could have been fooled by seeing a Wanda decoy doll get used in the future, so he could just be wrong without being misleading or dishonest. I don't know if that would work or not.

However, I just realized that Wanda could probably see through Marie's eyes as well as the warlady's. Perhaps she would realize that they have guns that work and that they tossed them through the portal with the Faq soldiers' bodies. Now that might make Wanda decide to show up!

OTOH, Marie's plan to "take the Magic Kingdom, too" seems a bit much, so I'm not sure I trust the plan Marie told to Georgia Powers.

Portal park is nice this time of year. Maybe messing with the portals from below might do something?
    Originally I wrote that I didn't think there would be any bedrock to keep Ivan from digging / climbing up into the tunnel between GK City and Spacerock even if he is out of juice. According to page 138, there probably would be bedrock there, though. But since the stealth doll could use the wonkywrench, maybe Claud or one of his dolls could and get through the bedrock?

Maybe the idea would be that Wanda & Co would go through the base of the portal, as I think you are suggesting, but why would they wind up on the MK side of a portal? Maybe Ivan will do it wrong? The bodies Marie was talking about would have to be uncroaked on the MK side to be able to do anything, though.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-04-28 at 06:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

As a sort of semi-random but related question, what is on the back of a portal? Is it a different portal?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

I keep forgetting that Wanda could still have her own juice left over from before being captured.

I thought that perhaps Phillip could have been fooled by seeing a Wanda decoy doll get used in the future, so he could just be wrong without being misleading or dishonest. I don't know if that would work or not.

However, I just realized that Wanda could probably see through Marie's eyes as well as the warlady's. Perhaps she would realize that they have guns that work and that they tossed them out with the bodies. Now that might make Wanda decide to show up!
    Well, assuming Phillip is completely accurate and honest, he's said a few things:

• Wanda isn't heading to her own portal (ie Spacerock's).
    • He wants to help the casters stop Marie from what she's doing.
    • He knows where Wanda will pop up next.

The casters going where Wanda will pop up next would almost certainly disrupt whatever Marie is doing (if I had to guess, the take over the Magic Kingdom plan), why else would Phillip mention it? But then the questions becomes if it's enough to prevent it; and if so, what are Marie (and Wanda) going to do instead? (If I had to guess, an alternative handle Jillian plan...assuming that wasn't the original plan; Wanda going through Gobwin Knob's I'm Coming for You Stanley's portal would fit)

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    As a sort of semi-random but related question, what is on the back of a portal? Is it a different portal?
    I'm fairly sure it's just solid.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    Meh ... I don't know. I liked a lot volume 1. I continued to follow and liked many things in following stories, while some much less (timing in updates first).
    But honestly, the story lately is becoming more and more confused and confusing for me.
    In this last update, I simply stopped reading at about half page.
    I just didn't care anymore.
    Maybe it's my fault. Too lazy probably.
    But Erfworld is becoming really boring to me and probably I'll soon stop following it.
    Don't worry. It's not just you. The story after getting Xin/Lauri basically became - how much can we shear our customers? I was Ruler level Erfworld supporter, but had to stop, now that Rob is essentially dragging the story out. This book is largest book by far and no end in sight.

Book 1: 13 Klog + 150 pages + 21 epilogue = 184 pages.
    Book 2: 28 Prologue + 114 pages + 59 Text updates + 25 Epilogue = 226 pages
    Book 3: 256 pages (and no sight of end...)

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    I'm fairly sure it's just solid.
    http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%20...489.1493424942

Here for instance (panel 3), we see dozens, and not one back.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The casters going where Wanda will pop up next would almost certainly disrupt whatever Marie is doing (if I had to guess, the take over the Magic Kingdom plan), why else would Phillip mention it? But then the questions becomes if it's enough to prevent it; and if so, what are Marie (and Wanda) going to do instead? (If I had to guess, an alternative handle Jillian plan...assuming that wasn't the original plan; Wanda going through Gobwin Knob's I'm Coming for You Stanley's portal would fit)
    I think I've spent maybe too much time thinking about it. It was fun to speculate, but I'm realizing that there are probably many different ways this could turn out.

Regarding what you said, one question I would have is: Does Marie's plan already take into account Phillips attempted interference (assuming he's being honest)? Marie often was cryptic because she thought predictions often backfired. Maybe Phillip's prediction is one of those cases. He might be moving the casters right where Marie needs them to be.

I don't think that handling Jillian was an alternate plan. Marie needs to do something with her other than croaking her. Marie is croaking Faq troops, but she can't actually capture the garrison because that would close the portal. Perhaps the idea is to somehow make Jillian remain as a live Faq unit so that the portal remains open, but also somehow make Jillian allow Marie to continue with her plan. I have no idea how that would work.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I think I've spent maybe too much time thinking about it. It was fun to speculate, but I'm realizing that there are probably many different ways this could turn out.

Regarding what you said, one question I would have is: Does Marie's plan already take into account Phillips attempted interference (assuming he's being honest)? Marie often was cryptic because she thought predictions often backfired. Maybe Phillip's prediction is one of those cases. He might be moving the casters right where Marie needs them to be.

I don't think that handling Jillian was an alternate plan. Marie needs to do something with her other than croaking her. Marie is croaking Faq troops, but she can't actually capture the garrison because that would close the portal. Perhaps the idea is to somehow make Jillian remain as a live Faq unit so that the portal remains open, but also somehow make Jillian allow Marie to continue with her plan. I have no idea how that would work.
    Marie could tell Jillian that Jillian is being manipulated by Charlie, and that he's doing it via the Deal of a Lifetime that Marie is now free of and can speak about. If there's one thing that Jillian might hate more than Stanley, it's being manipulated.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

Marie and Jillian have history together(and Wanda too, though with her it's less like history). Marie is the only one no longer bound by the deal of a lifetime though. I expect she has something important to say to Jillian, though I can't guess what, or to what purpose. Actually, Jillian has an heir, so FAQ can now go on without her, though there's still the use in keeping the portal open, at least for now. Maybe she turns to GK.

Well, assuming Phillip is completely accurate and honest, he's said a few things:

• Wanda isn't heading to her own portal (ie Spacerock's).
    • He wants to help the casters stop Marie from what she's doing.
    • He knows where Wanda will pop up next.
    They would like to help the casters stop her. Judging from context, I believe that's Wanda.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    They would like to help the casters stop her. Judging from context, I believe that's Wanda.
    I dunno....Since Phillip brought up Marie by name, then immediately said "not all of us agree with what she's doing", then (not-so-immediately) said "we would like to help you stop her", and then mentioned Wanda by name instead of "she" again....It looks to me like the context is indicating Marie, from the point where Phillip mentions Marie by name to the point where Phillip mentions Wanda by name.

26. - Top - End - #1016

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%20...489.1493424942

Here for instance (panel 3), we see dozens, and not one back.
    What? no. I mean I think it LOOKS the same, but you can't go through.

On the capital end, they are usually against a wall, and in Portal Park it's not like telling which side is the business end would be hard.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    What? no. I mean I think it LOOKS the same, but you can't go through.

On the capital end, they are usually against a wall, and in Portal Park it's not like telling which side is the business end would be hard.
    Because you'd bounce off the other side? Parson for one tried a portal at random, if the backs are dead he stood a 50:50 chance of a bounce-off, but he didn't bounce. I don't think there's any evidence either way about the ones in the Park, though I agree the capital ends seem to be one-sided.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2017-04-29 at 06:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I dunno....Since Phillip brought up Marie by name, then mediately said "not all of us agree with what she's doing", then (not-so-immediately) said "we would like to help you stop her", and then mentioned Wanda by name instead of "she" again....It looks to me like the context is indicating Marie, from the point where Phillip mentions Marie by name to the point where Phillip mentions Wanda by name.
    That's the way I interpreted it, too. I think the idea was that intercepting Wanda would stop whatever Marie had planned. Based on what Marie told Georgia Power, her plan involved GK taking over the MK. If Phillip was aware of that, it wouldn't be surprising if he wanted to stop her plan. Presumably, the idea would be to stop Wanda before she had a chance to do anything, so both of them would wind up stopped.

Because you'd bounce off the other side? Parson for one tried a portal at random, if the backs are dead he stood a 50:50 chance of a bounce-off, but he didn't bounce. I don't think there's any evidence either way about the ones in the Park, though I agree the capital ends seem to be one-sided.
    I think they are arranged in a circle and the side toward the center is the front (working) side. Parson could tell somewhat by the arrangement which side would be a working side. Ivan's pit trap at GK's portal only would 50% chance of working if both sides of a portal could be used. The battle around Charlie's portal was based on one side working. For example, when Charlie's Archons fired through the portal, the bullets didn't come out on both sides.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-04-29 at 07:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

When Charlie's guns shoot into the MK, you can see one of the bullets bounce off a portal.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

30. - Top - End - #1020

I wonder if any side ever tried diverting a river into their dungeon to try flooding the MK and any other sides.

Parson needs to pull a Boatmurdered with FAQ's new capital SICFY, and Charlie's portal.

On the other hand, at the end of Book 1 no one seemed worried about lava or toxic gases coming in, so maybe normal portals only let units through and don't care about pressure differential.

You COULD probably set up a bedrock pipeline between a hacked SICFY, and CC portals in the MK, and melt CC's foundations into the ground. That layer of exposed lava has to be good for something.