New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Help with executing a Character Concept in PF

Ill just describe the character, and if you guys can tell me what mechanical way you would go about accomplishing it.
    • Great Sense Motive Checks
    • Would love to impose disadvantage using Dialogue
    • Good at Gathering Information On Enemies
    • Not just a skill monkey, someone who can fight and isn't going down like a sack of potatoes
    • No Divine Magic

Glen Fisher is a human male, born 2nd son to the Fisher Noble house. He has spent his entire life reading people, necessary for protecting his older brother and younger siblings from the deadly Politic Game.

Glenn is a bit of a bastard, when he fights, he fights dirty and to win. Specilizing in identifying his opponents weaknessses, then winning the fight before it starts with words before cutting them down with his sword. He will cheat, lie, steal and murder in order to protect his family. Despite his cynisim, he has always admired true heroes and Paladins. Their conviction in doing whats right for the sake of Good inspires him to be better, and to care for his people, as is his responsiblity as a noble.

Glenn is good in a fight, able to take a punch, and has a hodge podge of skills at his disposal. He never displayed an proficiency with the Holy Magic of the Churches, focusing rather on the material plane rather then philisophical and intangible battles.

Think a Renagade Commander Shephard, Sherlock Holmes but better at fighting, A Jedi or Sith. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by BoutsofInsanity; 2017-01-18 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Adding in actual Mechanics
    I am BoutsofInsanity and my name isn't a metaphor.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Help with executing a Character Concept in PF

Literally any class or archetype with martial weapon proficiency that lacks spells.

"help me with mechanics for _____" needs things that interact with mechanics. your ______ is still essentially blank.You have presented a roleplaying-exclusive character background, which contains no mechanical requirements or disqualifications.

Describe your characters desired actual capabilities. What do you want him to do, either in combat or out of combat? Again, mechanically, precisely, and without respect to RP or fluff.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

For class, swashbuckler seems like your best bet, but rogue would be a close second. Fighter is really versitile and offers some help as a dip but lacks the skills for his skillmonkey nature. There is also the noble scion prestige class that might be fitting depending on how he turns out later in his life.The dirty fighting feat seems like a must for the build, thematically and mechanically. The improved/greater dirty trick feats as well, probably quick dirty trick and dirty trick master. Maybe even kitsune style if you really wanna dirty trick.

I would probably go straight swashbuckler, maybe the noble fencer archetype.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I was intially looking into Slayer as a class due to studied target. Brawler gains a lot of cool mixed abilities, but I am unsure on how viable it would be with the skills. I agree the fighter would be perfect, but it lacks the skill points neccessary to get there.

I was just looking for what classes and class choices you would use to accomplish a character like that. But I can see I wasn't clear enough.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by BoutsofInsanity
    I was just looking for what classes and class choices you would use to accomplish a character like that. But I can see I wasn't clear enough.
    There was absolutely nothing wrong with what you presented in your OP. Certainly nothing wrong about asking for a variety of ideas and options.

Originally Posted by Geddy2112
    For class, swashbuckler seems like your best bet, but rogue would be a close second.…

There is also the noble scion prestige class….
    Geddy’s advice is always sound. My first thought was rogue, especially unchained rogue if you can get it, and as Geddy mentioned the Noble Scion prestige class would certainly be thematic.

Slayer didn’t strike me as that close of a fit, in part because Studied Target seems a bit underwhelming; but it does have full BAB and some decent rogue/slayer talents.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Slayer and brawler also work fairly well for the concept, which is still pretty varied.

So lets look at what you listed
    -Great Sense Motive Checks
    Any wis based class is good at this, as is any class with sense motive as a class skills. Which is most of them.
    -Would love to impose disadvantage using Dialogue
    Disadvantage is not a thing in 3.X like it is in 5th. You can intimidate people in combat, a lot if you use dazzling display or a similar effect. Having intimidate as a class skill and maybe weapon focus/dazzling display.
    -Good at Gathering Information On Enemies
    Gathering information is a diplomacy roll. Again, most classes have this. If you want to know specifics on enemies, those are knowledge checks. Nobility and local might help here.
    -Not just a skill monkey, someone who can fight and isn't going down like a sack of potatoes
    Even your skillmonkey classes can be tailored to be powerful combatants.
    -No Divine Magic
    Rules out druid, hunter, ranger, cleric, inquisitor, oracle, paladin, shaman, warpriest. Unless you archtype some rangers/paladins which don't have magic, but you probably don't want pally divine power.

You need enough skills to max intimidate, sense motive, diplomacy, maybe bluff and some knowledges. So any class with 4/level or more and those class skills is fine. or most of them as you can grab a class skill or two with a trait.
    So bard, brawler, caviler, lore warden fighter, gunslinger, monk, slayer, skald, swashbuckler, investigator.

Personally, I would go bard. With versatile performance, you can get REALLY good at the key skills you are looking for. You have the dazzling display option to intimidate everyone in combat, as well as the dirge of doom at level 8(say words scare people no save) and the blistering invective spell(throw such sick burns at your opponents they catch on fire) as a 2nd level spell. Plus investing in those things won't take a bit away from your martial abilities.

Again, you could go with just about any of the non divine casters though and make it work. Any more info to narrow it down?
    Last edited by Geddy2112; 2017-01-18 at 11:39 AM.
    Guides

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I wanted him to be a professional adventurer. Someone who if you plopped him in Game of Thrones isn't the most powerful swordsmen, or even a main character. But someone who is really good at playing the "Game" and if is challenged to a duel is dangerous enough that he can hold his own and would potentially win the fight before it's started barring luck because he is prepared. I want him to be the Shadow to the Kings light.

Bard might be the way to go though, with the way it's been sold. Are they good now, with more of the splat books opening up?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BoutsofInsanity View Post
    I wanted him to be a professional adventurer.
    You see, this is REALLY vague. The entire premise of most ttRPG's is a group of professional adventurers. I mean, this is basically every concept.

Someone who if you plopped him in Game of Thrones isn't the most powerful swordsmen, or even a main character. But someone who is really good at playing the "Game" and if is challenged to a duel is dangerous enough that he can hold his own and would potentially win the fight before it's started barring luck because he is prepared. I want him to be the Shadow to the Kings light.
    None of this is really that relevant mechanically and can again, be damn near any character. You basically described the vast majority of PC's ever. That said, if you are a PC, you are a main character of the story.

Bard might be the way to go though, with the way it's been sold. Are they good now, with more of the splat books opening up?
    Bards have always been a solid T3, and if you want to focus on a more martial build there are plenty of archtypes that can do it. You won't be a fighter or barbarian in raw damage in combat ability, but you won't be a pushover in combat.

The beauty of concepts is that you can do it in a LOT of different mechanical ways. All you have mechanically character that is good at the social skills(diplomacy, intimidate, sense motive), not useless in combat(no character should be) and does not use divine magic. This is again, just about every non divine caster.
    Guides