New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

Artificer it tempting, but I'd take Druid. If I get to 3. level someday, the option to make items is there anyway, and there is much potential in the spells of the full caster classes. :)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    ... I believe you need a warrant for this kind of questioning...

It's just you know... stuff... I found... somewhere...
    Perhaps I'm underestimating the potential profitability of person to person online sales, then.

Or overestimating the capital necessary to start up a business where one could benefit from the advantages of the feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I totally want a level in succubus please!!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us how you started: I started with the entire party getting teleported in from the real world butt naked.

Lokiron: "Yes, and killing hurricanes is always a good act, because they are evil."

DEGENERATION 91: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flamewolf393 View Post
    I totally want a level in succubus please!!
    You can't. Not if you're a human.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    You can't. Not if you're a human.
    Savage species guide begs to differ.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us how you started: I started with the entire party getting teleported in from the real world butt naked.

Lokiron: "Yes, and killing hurricanes is always a good act, because they are evil."

DEGENERATION 91: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

You have to be a succubus to take levels in succubus.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Savage Species, page 25, lower-right corner:
    The only way to take a level of a monster class is to be that monster. A mind flayer cannot multiclass as a minotaur, nor can a human take levels as an astral deva.
    There's notes about ritual and Wish transformations elsewhere in the same book for when using an established character, but the limitation is right there in the book.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

You can't exactly take levels in succubus, but I think there was a ritual that could turn you into a half-fiend, and there's a web expansion that has guidelines for modifying the template ito a more accurate one depending on the fiendish parent. You have to be at least ECL 5, though.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'd probably go Psion(Telepath) for my first five levels, then take all ten thrallherd levels at Level 6-15, then...I'm not sure. I want to take a full manifesting class, and get maybe some spellcasting too...any suggestions?

Also, using point buy of sorts from personal knowledge...

Str 12
    Dex 8
    Con 12
    Int 17
    Wis 9
    Cha 14
    Last edited by The_Iron_Lord; 2017-01-05 at 10:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    English is actually a very precise language in a lot of ways, and American English in particular has a habit of following other languages down back alleys, clubbing them over the head, and rifling through their lexicons that I think is very healthy for its evolution.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% who didn't, copy/paste this into your sig.
    Mine started in the battle arena of the capital city

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Ya know what. After the week Ive had at work, warlock is looking very good. Dropping swarms on my bosses would be soothing.

Anyone know if kinderu fish swarms are possable? Or something else just as unpleasent, maybe?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm...what would be the quickest path to being able to either become, or shapeshift into, a dragon? Aside from PF Dragon Disciple.
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xaroth View Post
    Hm...what would be the quickest path to being able to either become, or shapeshift into, a dragon? Aside from PF Dragon Disciple.
    A Cleric of Bahamut with the Dragonborn subtype (so you'd have to take the Dragontouched feat, since you're starting as vanilla Human and not Silverbrow) can take the Initiate of Bahamut feat, which adds Aspect of the Platinum Dragon to your spell list as a 7th-level spell, meaning that you can turn into an Aspect of Bahamut (which is a Dragon) for rounds/level at Cleric 13.

... Probably not the quickest way, actually. But legitimately awesome.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Form of the dragon I is a 6th level wizard/sorcerer spell in PF.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I would take Warlock, Fiend.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dragonwrought kobold with alter self. Since people are saying that you can use this to change your abilities but not your base race (because apparently magic can't do that), the earliest is likely level 7, with polymorph.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2017-01-05 at 11:45 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

You can become a pseudodragon with least dragonshape (sor/wiz 3, DrM) for rounds/lvl.

Archivist level 2, yay.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking a second level of (Pathfinder) Artificer.

Artificer can make magic items ignoring prerequisites. This includes the ability to cast spells of the appropriate level -- an Artificer can't cast spells.

It's a DC37 Craft check to substitute for a level 9 spell I don't know -- based on a reasonable interpretation that the check is based on the level at which a caster of the appropriate class would normally get access to that spell. It also takes over a hundred days and gobs of money (well, salt, really) to make the attempt, so I'd prefer to wait until I can certainly pass.

At level 6, I can get a +36 bonus to Craft. I also need a decent Spellcrafting check, but that's easier to attain.

As for meeting the CL prerequisite, well, I haven't found guidelines about the CL of a custom magic item. RAI is probably that the CL is at least one less than twice the level of the spell replicated, so I might have to wait until level 15.

To supply "gobs of money", I'll be using a similar set of buffs to improve the skill for my chosen Profession. Profession skills are a means of conjuring gold by sacrificing time. I'm not rolling in it at level 2, but when level 4 rolls around, I can get at least +14, which should supply about $35,000 per week.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

I get the distinct impression that most of these answers boil down to "Artificer, because I want to be rich," "Tier 1 caster, because I want to be powerful and/or rich," and "Psion (Telepath), because I want to be influential and untraceable."

As a pragmatist, I completely get those ideas. You want to be comfortable, or powerful, or pass under the radar. But you're missing one point. Being a Tier 1 caster who dominates the world, or a master crafter making oodles of cash, or a telepath creating a vast web of unseen influence, is hard work. Yeah, it pays off, but how long does it take you to be able to sit back and just enjoy the benefits of your position?

From my perspective, I wouldn't take levels in an adventuring class to have to work. I already work. I can do that without superpowers. I take levels in an adventuring class to stop working, and start having fun. There's something to be said for base, immediate gratification, is my point. Like flying and turning invisible and shooting lasers.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I get the distinct impression that most of these answers boil down to "Artificer, because I want to be rich," "Tier 1 caster, because I want to be powerful and/or rich," and "Psion (Telepath), because I want to be influential and untraceable."

As a pragmatist, I completely get those ideas. You want to be comfortable, or powerful, or pass under the radar. But you're missing one point. Being a Tier 1 caster who dominates the world, or a master crafter making oodles of cash, or a telepath creating a vast web of unseen influence, is hard work. Yeah, it pays off, but how long does it take you to be able to sit back and just enjoy the benefits of your position?

From my perspective, I wouldn't take levels in an adventuring class to have to work. I already work. I can do that without superpowers. I take levels in an adventuring class to stop working, and start having fun. There's something to be said for base, immediate gratification, is my point. Like flying and turning invisible and shooting lasers.
    Totally agree with you here. Thing is, you also have to weigh the work the class requires you to do with the question "Is it worth it?" And considering that for under a week of prep-time and the work that goes into it, I can be epic level (instead of waiting for the next 19 years), I can ensure that I can neither die of natural causes, nor be killed, I'm fairly sure the work that comes with scribing a few scrolls and going on a safari hunting elephants to knock out for a day or so would be totally worth it.

The fun comes after. Who doesn't want to perform self-inserts of their favorite stories by actually inserting themselves into them via an epic spell, after all?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do you think I went with Sorcerer first (and am going with Avowed now, just need to finish choosing Stat, Feat and Clause choices^^)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd probably be bad at making particularly good builds, so I'd just go for PF cleric with Animal/Healing domains. Would be good for my day-to-day life.
    Statswise it'd probably be 9 STR, 10 DEX, 11 CON, 12 INT, 13 WIS, 8 CHA before adjustments. prolly throw the +2 in wis.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I guess I mostly just don't see a whole lot of the instant gratification available at level 1. Eldritch Blast is neat, but so are at-will cantrips and orisons. Flight is definitely neat, but as far as I recall, earliest real access is at 3rd, 5th, or 7th level.

You've definitely opened my eyes to considering an Eldritch Theurge build, though, I must admit, but I can't see anything compelling enough to turn my back on power to really improve my life and pursue extending my lifespan if not outright immortality.

I'm also just not really the type of personality that would be interested in playing superhero or super villain, especially at the point where a stray bullet could be that's all she wrote for me. So for fun that'd leave... extreme sports? Exploration? Seeing what I could do via social engineering or seducing my way through life?

Not gonna lie, being better able to get laid without resorting to date-rapey magic would be neat, but while sex is definitely a human drive I possess, it's not going to rule my thinking in a context like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I guess I mostly just don't see a whole lot of the instant gratification available at level 1. Eldritch Blast is neat, but so are at-will cantrips and orisons. Flight is definitely neat, but as far as I recall, earliest real access is at 3rd, 5th, or 7th level.
    This is fair. Here's my thought.

My goal, as I said, is something I can use and enjoy. That means being able to use it at-will, when I want it. Does some of it come online sooner, some later? Yes. Can other classes reproduce those effects? Certainly. Is blasting totally groundbreaking and awesome? Of course not. Fun, but not overwhelmingly powerful.

But here's the thing. At level 1, I can do what I already do, but more easily, and also am never unarmed. As an Evil Mastermind, much of my power comes from how I use others, but being able to show that I'm not completely useless without minions is a big plus for me. Being able to do it infinitely, at will, is even better. Yes, cantrips and orisons are nice, but aside from some very low damage options (in PF), most of it is fairly cosmetic.

At higher level, these things become at-will options that add survival. All-day invisibility is incredible. Flight is liberating. Tactical teleportation, coupled with an illusionary placeholder, is incredible. And these are things I can do over and over again. Do they come online later? Yes. But they're at my fingertips whenever I need them, no preparation required. Also the lasers are still a thing.

You've definitely opened my eyes to considering an Eldritch Theurge build, though, I must admit, but I can't see anything compelling enough to turn my back on power to really improve my life and pursue extending my lifespan if not outright immortality.
    That's fair. I'll be honest, I'm not sure I'm sold on immortality. Life is dull and repetitive enough already. Also, the longer you live as an immortal, the more likely you are to find yourself buried alive, or chained to a rock beneath the ocean, or adrift in space, or otherwise trapped and helpless. Just saying, I may eventually die, but if I'm invisible, it probably won't be because someone succeeded at killing me.

I'm also just not really the type of personality that would be interested in playing superhero or super villain, especially at the point where a stray bullet could be that's all she wrote for me.
    ... Playing?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is fair. Here's my thought.

My goal, as I said, is something I can use and enjoy. That means being able to use it at-will, when I want it. Does some of it come online sooner, some later? Yes. Can other classes reproduce those effects? Certainly. Is blasting totally groundbreaking and awesome? Of course not. Fun, but not overwhelmingly powerful.

But here's the thing. At level 1, I can do what I already do, but more easily, and also am never unarmed. As an Evil Mastermind, much of my power comes from how I use others, but being able to show that I'm not completely useless without minions is a big plus for me. Being able to do it infinitely, at will, is even better. Yes, cantrips and orisons are nice, but aside from some very low damage options (in PF), most of it is fairly cosmetic.
    Personally, I'm eyeballing things like at will Prestidigitation, mending, mage hand, and a number of other utility cantrips.

Riffing off your earlier thought, getting Wish in 16 years as a level 18 Sorc? Better retirement plan than the one I've got now (none). But I'm looking at the short term- without any schools to take Wizard levels at, Sorc giving me the spells I want like Water breathing, Alter Self, Shrink Item, etc? Totally worth it. Around the time that Fabricate and Permanency become available, I'd be rocking the Tinfoil hat as the ultimate tiny house, traveling the world for fun, building whatever I want.

... Playing?
    Zing! (Biff) (Bap)
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Personally, I'm eyeballing things like at will Prestidigitation, mending, mage hand, and a number of other utility cantrips.

Riffing off your earlier thought, getting Wish in 16 years as a level 18 Sorc? Better retirement plan than the one I've got now (none). But I'm looking at the short term- without any schools to take Wizard levels at, Sorc giving me the spells I want like Water breathing, Alter Self, Shrink Item, etc? Totally worth it. Around the time that Fabricate and Permanency become available, I'd be rocking the Tinfoil hat as the ultimate tiny house, traveling the world for fun, building whatever I want.
    Now, see, this is logic behind which I can get. Spontaneous spellcasting is super useful, and loading out with lots of utility stuff - instead of hard-work world-breaking stuff - is just a comfortable way to make life easier.

Of course, if you don't take Eschew Materials, you're going to make things much harder than they have to be. Also, you need to stick to behind-closed-doors utility - flashing your Water Breathing around non-merpeople (sorry, Phelps) is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention.

That's the advantage of being an invisible supervillain. Once people catch on to your immortality, or your psychic friends network, or your new religion, or your factory of infinite crafting, you become a target. People want to own you, or crush you. Your assets are seized by governments, every camera is scanning for you, every law enforcement agency knows your face. But if you start as a target? If you are already the terrifying monster they think you are? It's liberating.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Marshal
    I take my bonus score as a +2 to charisma. I take Motivate Charisma: Bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks. If I have skill points they all go into things such as bluff, diplomacy, Knowledge (religion), sense motive. Wedded to History [Initial] Feat

"Born in the distant past, you possess special insight or uncanny abilities that distinguish you from those for whom the time of your birth is at best nothing but legends and stories.

Benefit: Choose an ancient background from Apostle of the Forgotten, Elder of Legend, Golden Ager, Hand of Prophecy, Survivor, Throwback, or Wanderer. You gain the special ability associated with it." Dragon Magazine.

My elder I choose is the Hand of Prophecy
    "Blessed and cursed by the arbiters of fate, by strange spirit the forces of time itself, or some other esoteric means, you are guided through the ages by a hand that pushes you ever forward. Whether reborn over and over again, memories returned at a special age or simply not allowed to age or die by the cruel whims of life, the Hand of Prophecy drifts through the ages until at last, destiny has been fulfilled."

Now to become an all inspiring force in war.

I shall lead a new era. Creating a dystopia in my wake. So at this point I think I will create a new belief. This belief I hope becomes infectious as religion. I will find the great men of this world and bring them under my all encompassing wings so that we may change everything. (Ehh villian monologue)
    10 Wisdom
    12 Int
    11 Con
    15 Charisma
    9 Dexterity
    8 Str
    Last edited by Barbarian Horde; 2017-01-05 at 04:55 PM.
    "Touch my rice bowl will you... Summon the commoner warlocks!" "We have gathered the material components my lord!" millions of chickens died that day.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Man, all I wanted was boosted INT rolls and some alchemy. Might as well trade in for some maneuvers too I guess. You guys have way too lofty goals.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now, see, this is logic behind which I can get. Spontaneous spellcasting is super useful, and loading out with lots of utility stuff - instead of hard-work world-breaking stuff - is just a comfortable way to make life easier.

Of course, if you don't take Eschew Materials, you're going to make things much harder than they have to be.
    Check Pathfinder Sorc level 1 again, good sir. I believe you will find "Eschew Materials" as a bonus feat where 3.5 sorc's familiar used to sit.

Also, you need to stick to behind-closed-doors utility - flashing your Water Breathing around non-merpeople (sorry, Phelps) is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention.

That's the advantage of being an invisible supervillain. Once people catch on to your immortality, or your psychic friends network, or your new religion, or your factory of infinite crafting, you become a target. People want to own you, or crush you. Your assets are seized by governments, every camera is scanning for you, every law enforcement agency knows your face. But if you start as a target? If you are already the terrifying monster they think you are? It's liberating.
    See, I'm not after it to become famous, and I think you overrate how easily noticed someone keeping to himself and not making flashy displays of the arcane would be.

And, of course, if pressed to, a Sorc with two level 4~9 spell progressions, a Roc, and a fairly solid bardic music progression is in a pretty good place to be a supervillain. Try to imagine the difficulty of tracking down someone who can use bardic suggestions, make any set of clothes they want, and cast alter self on a whim? Seized assets? Between Hoard Gullet and Shrink Item, attempting to seizing those assets means finding me. Snagging the 3.5 version of Alter Self means that I can share spell the Roc into that Siberian Husky I've always wanted and no one will be the wiser. And when it comes time to up and go? I just fly off into the sunset on a giant bird, invisible, singing the Ballad of Serenity.

Essentially, I'm just as invisible as you are- I'm just invisible in plain sight.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I mean magic is nice, but I could have absolute power by conquering. I may not end live long, but not before I inflict my will upon the world.
    "Touch my rice bowl will you... Summon the commoner warlocks!" "We have gathered the material components my lord!" millions of chickens died that day.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Check Pathfinder Sorc level 1 again, good sir. I believe you will find "Eschew Materials" as a bonus feat where 3.5 sorc's familiar used to sit.
    Ahh, I didn't see that you picked your Sorc from the superior PF breed. Comment retracted.

See, I'm not after it to become famous, and I think you overrate how easily noticed someone keeping to himself and not making flashy displays of the arcane would be.
    Oh, but that's just it - we live in the digital age. If you can do something unusual, you will be famous, whether you wish to be or not. Short of finding an isolated cavern in a mountain, you'll be encountering other people, and it only takes one curious trespasser with a cell phone to put you on the map.

And, of course, if pressed to, a Sorc with two level 4~9 spell progressions, a Roc, and a fairly solid bardic music progression is in a pretty good place to be a supervillain. Try to imagine the difficulty of tracking down someone who can use bardic suggestions, make any set of clothes they want, and cast alter self on a whim? Seized assets? Between Hoard Gullet and Shrink Item, attempting to seizing those assets means finding me. Snagging the 3.5 version of Alter Self means that I can share spell the Roc into that Siberian Husky I've always wanted and no one will be the wiser. And when it comes time to up and go? I just fly off into the sunset on a giant bird, invisible, singing the Ballad of Serenity.

Essentially, I'm just as invisible as you are- I'm just invisible in plain sight.
    Fair enough. I still enjoy the literal version of invisible, but I do see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian Horde View Post
    I mean magic is nice, but I could have absolute power by conquering. I may not end live long, but not before I inflict my will upon the world.
    But why do you need adventuring levels for that?